PDA

View Full Version : Roster Cuts

Brando19
05-29-2007, 11:30 PM
I found this on KFFL:
Tom Pelissero, of the Green Bay Press Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers may release SS Marquand Manuel by Sept. 1.
Tom Pelissero, of the Green Bay Press Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers may release WR Robert Ferguson by Sept. 1.
Tom Pelissero, of the Green Bay Press Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers may release DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila by Sept. 1.

Anyone object? I could see Ferguson being released, but I don't see KGB being released (he has some value) and Manuel will stay b/c TT took a chance on him last year and wants to see him some more.

MJZiggy
05-29-2007, 11:42 PM
What the hell kind of news is that? They MAY release them by Sept. 1. They MAY release half the team by Sept 1.

Lurker64
05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't think there's a single player on any NFL roster that you can't accurately report that they MAY be released by Sept 1 (or any other date.) This is not news.

I couldn't see KGB being released unless he has an abyssmal camp or something else unforseen happens. Situational pass rushers have a lot of value in this league. Remember how we gave up two draft picks for R-Kal Truluck.

GrnBay007
05-30-2007, 12:15 AM
I don't think there's a single player on any NFL roster that you can't accurately report that they MAY be released by Sept 1 (or any other date.)

:no: :no: :no:

Brett Favre will NOT be released by Sept. 1st.
:P

Lurker64
05-30-2007, 12:33 AM

If he gets into a car accident and suffers several compound fractures but refuses to retire, I could see it happening. We all hope dearly that it doesn't happen, but with no certainty can any of us say that it absolutely won't.

HarveyWallbangers
05-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Manuel will stay b/c TT took a chance on him last year and wants to see him some more.

I don't buy it. Thompson has cut plenty of guys (O'Dwyer, C. Rodgers, Gado was traded, Whitticker, etc.) he brought in. Manuel will have to earn a spot. If Collins, Underwood, Rouse, and Culver or Bigby show they deserve a spot over him, he'll be gone.

Bretsky
05-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Manuel will stay b/c TT took a chance on him last year and wants to see him some more.

I don't buy it. Thompson has cut plenty of guys (O'Dwyer, C. Rodgers, Gado was traded, Whitticker, etc.) he brought in. Manuel will have to earn a spot. If Collins, Underwood, Rouse, and Culver or Bigby show they deserve a spot over him, he'll be gone.

On the other hand TT signed this guy via FA to a five year deal for some mooolah. Yes, he was cheap, but in Snapper world he paid the guy. So cutting Manueal IMO would be a solid step up from the other guys.

Patler
05-30-2007, 07:36 AM

On the other hand TT signed this guy via FA to a five year deal for some mooolah. Yes, he was cheap, but in Snapper world he paid the guy. So cutting Manueal IMO would be a solid step up from the other guys.

I don't know, cutting Rodgers the way he did, before the start of his first season, was pretty uncommon for a 4th round pick. Manuel has played a season. I don't think TT will hesitate one second in cutting him if others perform better than he does.

rpiotr01
05-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Out of the 3 I think fergie is the most likely to go.

KGB has value as a pass rusher. I'm interested to see how he performs at this point now that he's a situational guy. He still has the pass rushing skills and I'm confident he can put up good sack numbers on passing downs. The money isn't hurting the team now, and he's a better pass rusher than the other back-ups at DE.

Maybe unpopular, but I think Manual has value as a back up S, just like he did with Seattle. I'd be much happier with Rouse or Underwood starting alongside Collins, and Manual there to back them up. I guess it's a matter of depth - say we have two young starters, should one of them go down with an injury, I'd be happier knowing that there is a vet behind them who has already shown he can fill in solidly for an injured starter.

With Fergie, there's already a glut of WR bodies, and frankly, he's just a WR body right now along with Holliday, Martin, Clowney and our NFLE guy (forget his name). There's also the possible September return of Robinson. Unless he stands out big time this summer, whether that be as WR or on ST, I think this is it for him. The guy has tremendous heart to come back from being clotheslined, but he just never showed the ability to consistently get the ball, fight for it, hang onto it. That, combined with the too-frequent injuries, means enough is enough.

woodbuck27
05-31-2007, 08:40 AM

If he gets into a car accident and suffers several compound fractures but refuses to retire, I could see it happening. We all hope dearly that it doesn't happen, but with no certainty can any of us say that it absolutely won't.

Yea but. . .

if that car accident happens.

Brett will somehow hobble out onto the field without missing a game. :)

He's a LEGEND. :)

wist43
05-31-2007, 08:58 AM
With 461 draft picks every year... I think they have to automatically cut anyone over the age of 25.

ND72
05-31-2007, 09:20 AM
I read that same article, and it said "Because Manuel, Ferguson, Franks, and KGB take up 11% of this years salary, and 17% of next years salary, there is a POSSIBILITY Ted Thompson could look to move those players."

wist43
05-31-2007, 09:32 AM
The only guy on that list worth keeping is KGB.

Charles Woodson
05-31-2007, 09:36 AM
The only guy on that list worth keeping is KGB.

or at least trying to trade