PDA

View Full Version : Deja vu: Draft according to need or best player available?

oregonpackfan
05-30-2007, 10:16 AM
In any professional sport involving a draft of college players, the debate rages over drafting a player according to team needs or taking the most talented player available.

In 1984, the Portland Trailblazers basketball team had the #1 draft pick. According to scouting reports, there were two "Can't Miss" choices for the #1 pick--7' center Sam Bowie of Kentucky, and guard Michael Jordan of North Carolina.

The Blazers greatest need was the center position. They made Bowie their number one pick.

Bowie had just several ineffective years in the NBA. He was plagued by leg injuries and never seemed to adapt to the pro game.

Michael Jordan, at #2, was picked by the Chicago Bulls. He went on to become one of the greatest, if not the greatest players in pro basketball history.

Now move forward to 2007. The Portland Trailblazers again have the #1 pick. Again, their greatest need is at the center position. Should they take 7' center Greg Oden of Ohio State or incredibly mobile 6'9" forward Kevin Durant? Will history repeat itself with the Blazers selecting Oden and Kevin Durant having a career more distinguished than Oden's?

If you follow pro basketball, please share your thoughts.

packinpatland
05-30-2007, 10:31 AM
I haven't watched since MJ retired. He made the game fun to watch. Not so much anymore.

Zool
05-30-2007, 10:58 AM
1 Hous Akeem Olajuwon Houston
2 Port Sam Bowie Kentucky
3 Chi Michael Jordan North Carolina

The Dream was actually #1 overall not Bowie. In the NBA with only 5 starting spots, drafting for need is a lot more common. The Bucks picked Bogurt 2 years ago when they should have taken Chris Paul. They needed a C, and already had TJ Ford.

Partial
05-30-2007, 12:39 PM

The Dream was actually #1 overall not Bowie. In the NBA with only 5 starting spots, drafting for need is a lot more common. The Bucks picked Bogurt 2 years ago when they should have taken Chris Paul. They needed a C, and already had TJ Ford.

Yeah, in retrospect they should have drafted Chris Paul. But, on the #1 and #2 prospects were far and away Bogut and Williams. I think Deron Williams even went before Paul if I remember correctly.

Scott Campbell
05-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Yeah, in retrospect they should have drafted Chris Paul. But, on the #1 and #2 prospects were far and away Bogut and Williams. I think Deron Williams even went before Paul if I remember correctly.

Williams went #3 to Utah. They traded up from #6 to get him. Paul went #4 to NO, and was a nearly unanimous pick for rookie of the year. People in Utah thought the Jazz might have missed on a special player when they didn't draft Paul. What a difference a year makes.

Scott Campbell
05-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Should they take 7' center Greg Oden of Ohio State or incredibly mobile 6'9" forward Kevin Durant?

I've watched both of them play, and I like Durant. Though Oden should be a very good player.