PDA

View Full Version : Pro sports need more guys like Herron

woodbuck27
05-31-2007, 11:03 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070528/PKR07/705280465/1959

Posted May 28, 2007

Mike Vandermause column:

Pro sports need more guys like Herron

By Mike Vandermause

Barely a day goes by without a professional athlete doing something stupid or unlawful.

It has become so bad in the National Football League that Commissioner Roger Goodell recently felt compelled to institute a code of conduct with stricter punishment and enforcement.

There's enough bad behavior in the sports world to keep police, prosecutors and lawyers busy for a long time. It easily could make someone jaded toward all pro athletes.

But then you listen to Green Bay Packers running back Noah Herron, and your perspective changes. You realize not all athletes believe they are the center of the universe. Some actually care about other people. They reach out and offer their time and talent — not for money, but because it's the right thing to do.

For the last three months, Herron has been wearing a bracelet with the inscription, "Here's to the heroes." He got it in March when he and some of his Packers teammates went to Alaska to show support for U.S. soldiers who recently had returned from Iraq.

Imagine a group of Packers choosing to spend a week of their offseason on the true frozen tundra in Fairbanks, Alaska, where temperatures dipped to minus-40. For Herron, along with Dave Rayner, Kevin Barry, Patrick Dendy and Josh Bourke, it was a humbling experience.

"It gives you so much perspective on people who work even harder than us just to protect our way of life, just so we can wake up every morning and feel safe," said Herron of American troops. "There are a lot of hours, a lot of time and a lot of lives lost just to maintain it."

Herron has been busy this offseason, not only training to stay in tip-top football shape, but reaching out to others.

He spent Super Bowl weekend with Navy troops on an aircraft carrier off the coast of Florida. He has spoken at schools and to various community groups. Along with Rayner, he has helped organize a charity golf event this week at Camelot Country Club near Fond du Lac that will raise money to fight domestic abuse.

"I think it's important," Herron said of his community involvement. "There's a lot of bad rep that goes on with professional athletes, football players in particular. … It's important to give back."

While the bad apples tend to dominate the headlines, Herron quietly goes about his business of making positive contributions to society. Many athletes hate the idea of being a role model, but Herron embraces it.

"We're forced to be in that situation whether we like it or not," he said. "The fact that we're at the level that kids dream of obtaining, we're all blessed enough to be there. We've got to use it."

But Herron also views himself as a regular guy.

"We're normal people," he said. "We've got feelings. We've got families. We do all the same things you guys do. We're people too. They just put our work on TV."

Herron again will be battling for a roster spot this season. He knows there are no guarantees.

"It's a fight every year," said Herron, who in two NFL seasons as a backup has 273 rushing yards, 29 receptions and five touchdowns. "Last year, people asked me the same thing: 'Are you going to be here this year?' "

For the sake of the community, here's hoping he sticks around.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Do all teams have player visit the troops? I remember when Marco Rivera went to Iraq with some other NFLers. He was surprised by how many Packer fans he came across.

Ballboy
05-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Sad thing is, Herron, Barry, Rayner will have a tough time even making the roster this year.

Nice guys DO finish last.

Bretsky
05-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Wood,

You've probably just put the PR Whammy on Herron

Last year I posted something similar to Tony Fischer and what a great guy he was

and off he went.

Cheers,
B

packinpatland
05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I remember just recently seeing photos of a bunch of 'our guys' on an aircraft carrier. I think William Henderson was one of them.

Good for Herron. We need more role model-types these days.

BallHawk
05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Good thing to see one of our guys doing this.

I hope, though, that Herron is cut. Can't stand him. I'd much rather have Beach or Pope.

packinpatland
05-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Good thing to see one of our guys doing this.

I hope, though, that Herron is cut. Can't stand him. I'd much rather have Beach or Pope.

"Can't stand him."

That's a pretty strong statement. You just talking about his playing ability?

BallHawk
05-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes, just his playing ability. He's never going to be more then he is now. At least Beach or Pope have potential, even though it be small.

retailguy
05-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes, just his playing ability. He's never going to be more then he is now. At least Beach or Pope have potential, even though it be small.

C'mon! What's wrong with 'ole "Cement Shoes" Herron? Oh, wait.

Nevermind.

falco
05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
I predict Herron will be a starting running back one day....in the UFL!

woodbuck27
06-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Wood,

You've probably just put the PR Whammy on Herron

Last year I posted something similar to Tony Fischer and what a great guy he was

and off he went.

Cheers,
B

He appears to me to be at best a third down RB with some potential to catch the football. He's very slow.

He certainly tries hard and that's always a positive.

BallHawk
06-01-2007, 09:17 AM

C'mon! What's wrong with 'ole "Cement Shoes" Herron? Oh, wait.

Nevermind.

Cement Shoes, eh? I've always called him "Molasses Man."

Fosco33
06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I've been impressed by some former Sconnie current/future NBA players - mainly Tucker and Wade. Those guys grew up in rough areas but still give back to the community/etc.

Tough thing is with US news, bad news is actual news. My guess - lots of pro athletes are good people doing great things for their community (think of the Reggie Whites and Favre's of the world from a foundation aspect).

Creepy
06-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Why rag on Herron, when Green went down and Morency went down he rushed for over a hundred yards. Was he the fastes back in the game? No, but he did his job abd did it well. he caught passes as a third down back and gained positive yards, not carthing shovel passes for 1 or 2 yards.

If he is beat out by somebody this year then it is part ofthe game. Currently I will stick with him until somebody actually beats him out ofthe position. Don't cut him because somebody may have potential, that is whta the PS is for.