PDA

View Full Version : PR "JUST A GUY" NOMINATIONS

Bretsky
05-31-2007, 03:53 PM
I believe it was Wist who may have first patented the "just a guy" PR cliche.
Eventually these are guys we want to weed off of an average roster.

I always took the phrase to mean a guy who is barely good enough to be on an NFL Roster....a guy with limited upside....and ideally a guy that gets replaced by somebody more talented.

The better teams would not have too many of these.

So here's your just a guy thread.

Feel free to throw out names from last year's roster that fall into this category.

Here's my start

Junius Coston
Colin Cole
Marquand Manuel
Noah Herron
Ingle Martin
Kevin Barry
Mike Montgomery

OTHER DEBATEABLES
Donald Lee
Patrick Dendy
The Fraud
Ruvell Martin

Feel free to add your own, or tear mine to shreds

wist43
05-31-2007, 03:59 PM
The only guy on your list that still might have a chance to something more than "just a guy" is Donald Lee... the rest are scrubs.

Bretsky
05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
The only guy on your list that still might have a chance to something more than "just a guy" is Donald Lee... the rest are scrubs.

You are the Just a Guy King :wink:

Who did I miss ???

BallHawk
05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Ruvell Martin, IMO, isn't " just a guy." He can be a legit #3 WR if he develops a bit more. I know I'm crazy for thinking so, but I really think he can be pretty good.

Carlyle Holiday, Zac Alcorn and Carlton Brewster for the nominations, as well.

Joemailman
05-31-2007, 04:21 PM
I believe it was Wist who may have first patented the "just a guy" PR cliche.
Eventually these are guys we want to weed off of an average roster.

I always took the phrase to mean a guy who is barely good enough to be on an NFL Roster....a guy with limited upside....and ideally a guy that gets replaced by somebody more talented.

The better teams would not have too many of these.

So here's your just a guy thread.

Feel free to throw out names from last year's roster that fall into this category.

Here's my start

Junius Coston
Colin Cole
Marquand Manuel
Noah Herron
Ingle Martin
Kevin Barry
Mike Montgomery

OTHER DEBATEABLES
Donald Lee
Patrick Dendy
The Fraud
Ruvell Martin

Feel free to add your own, or tear mine to shreds

I think Coston still has a chance to escape the list. I wouldn't put Martin on the list. Other than that, I agree. Surprised you think Fergy is debateable.

Charles Woodson
05-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Carlyle Holiday, Zac Alcorn and Carlton Brewster for the nominations, as well.

i think i need to so another season of holiday to nominate him, he did pretty well in the action he got

MJZiggy
05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Tracy White?

MadtownPacker
05-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Fergy, Poppinga, and Manuel.

Whoever said Cole doesnt know what the hell they are talking about. He is an excellent backup on already solid DL.

Patler
05-31-2007, 09:27 PM

Donald Lee? No chance he will ever be anything more than "just a a guy!"

MadtownPacker
05-31-2007, 09:30 PM

Donald Lee? No chance he will ever be anything more than "just a a guy!"Ease up you crazy pit fighting dog!

That might be the only positive comment we get out of Wist for the reat of the year. :lol:

retailguy
05-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Vernand Morency
Brady Poppinga
Brandon Miree
Arliss Beach

this list contains just the guys that haven't been previously mentioned....

I agree with the rest of the "honorable" mentions.... :wink:

MJZiggy
05-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Brutal...

wist43
06-01-2007, 07:53 AM

Donald Lee? No chance he will ever be anything more than "just a a guy!"Ease up you crazy pit fighting dog!

That might be the only positive comment we get out of Wist for the reat of the year. :lol:

Prepare yourselves to be shocked...

I do, in fact, like Cole and Martin well enough... Cole is a legitimate contributor to the DT rotation, and Martin has #3 WR potential.

Neither one is a world beater, but they're ok...

As for Donald Lee, he's the only TE they have on the roster that can threaten the safety up the seam... Lee can, on one play, make a very tough catch; then, on his next opportunity, inexplicably drop an easy one.

If his hands become more consistent, I can see him being a legitimate weapon... That's a pretty big IF though, given how inconsistent he's been.

Bretsky
06-01-2007, 08:03 AM

I do, in fact, like Cole and Martin well enough... Cole is a legitimate contributor to the DT rotation, and Martin has #3 WR potential.

As for Donald Lee, he's the only TE they have on the roster that can threaten the safety up the seam... Lee can, on one play, make a very tough catch; then, on his next opportunity, inexplicably drop an easy one.

If his hands become more consistent, I can see him being a legitimate weapon... That's a pretty big IF though, given how inconsistent he's been.

Cole, Martin, Lee :?:

What have you done with Wist ??? :lol:

woodbuck27
06-01-2007, 08:04 AM

Provided that Lee's eyesight is OK ?

I can't see his ''he's got good hands'' improving. Catching a football depends on natural ability.You either have or havn't good hands.Good hands is difficult to teach.

Catching a football depends on concentration ability and whether or not your assignment sure.That translates to natural talent to get and secure (and protect) the football.

wist43
06-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Some guys can stand in front of a Jugs machine and catch balls all day long, it isn't a matter of hand-eye coordination.

Where some of these guys have problems is their mentality in the game itself... they get caught up in thinking about what the coverage is, or what their read is in realtion to the audible that was just called, is it man or zone, etc, etc... i.e. they're thinking too much about everything going on around them, and their natural talent never shows, or is at least inconsistent.

I can remember Donald Drivers first few years - he dropped some very easy balls early on... for him, it was just a matter of getting comfortable. Lee has talent... hopefully his situation is similar to Driver's and he'll be able to put it all together.

woodbuck27
06-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Some guys can stand in front of a Jugs machine and catch balls all day long, it isn't a matter of hand-eye coordination.

Where some of these guys have problems is their mentality in the game itself... they get caught up in thinking about what the coverage is, or what their read is in realtion to the audible that was just called, is it man or zone, etc, etc... i.e. they're thinking too much about everything going on around them, and their natural talent never shows, or is at least inconsistent.

I can remember Donald Drivers first few years - he dropped some very easy balls early on... for him, it was just a matter of getting comfortable. Lee has talent... hopefully his situation is similar to Driver's and he'll be able to put it all together.

I believe that your saying that the player has to concentrate on accomplishing his assignment or get into the position to receive a pass and then secure the ball.

Yes the player has to feel comfortable to get that done.That means that it takes experience.

I maintain that it also takes good hands or good hand and eye co-ordination.

I've watched Favre toss the ball on an option pass towords the sidelines beachball soft and seen the FB or RB muff it, when I'm sure I could have made that catch. :)

Patler
06-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Lee can, on one play, make a very tough catch; then, on his next opportunity, inexplicably drop an easy one.

Isn't that the definition of "just a guy" for a tight end?

Lee was Miami's starter for 10 games in 2004, and they got rid of him the next year because he can't catch. Going into his fifth season that isn't likely to change.

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2007, 01:20 AM
How many balls did he drop in Miami? What are the stats? I don't remember that being the big problem with him. It was more his smarts, and the fact he was raw. If he was a starter for Miami for 10 games in 2004, it's because he was a young backup and McMichael got hurt. He could be okay. All I can go off of is his two years in Green Bay. 2005 he was solid, and looked like he had some serious upside. 2006 he didn't perform nearly as well, but was third fiddle to Franks and Martin.

Patler
06-02-2007, 05:13 AM
How many balls did he drop in Miami? What are the stats? I don't remember that being the big problem with him. It was more his smarts, and the fact he was raw. If he was a starter for Miami for 10 games in 2004, it's because he was a young backup and McMichael got hurt. He could be okay. All I can go off of is his two years in Green Bay. 2005 he was solid, and looked like he had some serious upside. 2006 he didn't perform nearly as well, but was third fiddle to Franks and Martin.

I don't know how many he dropped in Miami, but I remember the article when he came to GB. One of the Miami Assistants said the knock on him out of college was intelligence and picking up NFL systems. He said Miami found that was not really a problem, they just spent a little extra time with him, and he was fine. The coach said the problem in Miami was his drops, and he hoped a change of scenery would help that because he really liked him.

In GB he has 9 drops in 75 throws over two seasons.

Patler
06-02-2007, 05:39 AM

Some comments from a Dolphins' fan site at the time Miamia got rid of him:

by jgarMD:
"His false starts, dropped passes, fumbles, and holding penalites will not be missed. This has me smiling. God, I hated that guy."

by Fin Fan in Cali:
"Maybe he will catch a job with another team, or maybe he won't catch!"

by BSQX4:
"Lee was not going to help our team, he was going to hurt the team with his mental lapses, drops and fumbles."

A few comments from the same site the season before, when he was playing:

by jinjim:
"Lorenzo Diamond should start. Lee just drops EVERYTHING!"

by finsnchips:
"donald lee is a very good blocking TE, he's just got a problem with the whole drop thing, its a confidence thing."

by finjim:
"he's been dropping passes for a few years now, what do they see in this guy??"

by minus:
"It is a mental thing with Lee.He needs to get over the drop passes."

Patler
06-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Don't get me wrong, I recognize Donald Lee has some skills Franks and others lack, mostly in running. He will be more of a downfield threat than any of the others, probably. But after four years in the NFL, I don't expect to see a change in his ability to catch. I expect he will continue to drop too many passes, just as he has the past four years.

For thatreason, he will remain "just a guy".

Fritz
06-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Junius Coston is too young to be "just a guy" but if he makes the team, contributes nothing, and comes back next year for a repeat of same, then he's just a guy.

Other "just a guy"s...Donald Lee, Ruvell Martin, Tracy White, Ferguson, Mike Montgomery, Manuel, Dendy, Frank White, Charlie Peprah, Jeb Bush (or whatever that corner's name is), Tory Humphrey, Carlton Brewster, and, if he doesn't improve this year, Bubba Franks.

Bretsky
06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Junius Coston is too young to be "just a guy" but if he makes the team, contributes nothing, and comes back next year for a repeat of same, then he's just a guy.

Other "just a guy"s...Donald Lee, Ruvell Martin, Tracy White, Ferguson, Mike Montgomery, Manuel, Dendy, Frank White, Charlie Peprah, Jeb Bush (or whatever that corner's name is), Tory Humphrey, Carlton Brewster, and, if he doesn't improve this year, Bubba Franks.

It was interesting that Orange Junius Coston is skipping the voluntary workouts along with Woodson, Williams, and one other player I can't recall.

But he really sticks out because he's accomplished next to nothing in his two years on the roster and he'd fit the profile of the player you have to wonder
WTF when he isn't coming to these.

If we ever get rid of the Fraud I'll need a new whipping boy; Coston is on the radar

:lol:

Bretsky
06-02-2007, 09:25 AM

Do we have a Frank White on the team :wink:

BallHawk
06-02-2007, 09:25 AM
I do, in fact, like Martin well enough...Martin has #3 WR potential.

Yes! Somebody sees the light. Join the Ruvell Martin fan club! It currently consists of one member....me. I'm sure we'll get more people. Maybe, one day, we'll have as many people as the TT fan club. :D

Bretsky
06-02-2007, 09:30 AM

Yes! Somebody sees the light. Join the Ruvell Martin fan club! It currently consists of one member....me. I'm sure we'll get more people. Maybe, one day, we'll have as many people as the TT fan club. :D

There seem to be 3 in the blind loyalist part and
2 in the Ruvell is My Favorite Martin Party

Definite Extreme Liberals
:lol:

Gosh, is it fathomable that a person would be a member of both parties :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2007, 02:23 PM

Comments from disgruntled Dolphin fans after he left Miami?

You can do better than that.
:D

Rastak
06-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Ummm, he did mention the couple comments while he was still on the team....

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
The dude caught 20 balls in 2 years with Miami. It would just seem that he might not have had enough opportunity to even show whether he had good hands or not. When you get 20 catches in 2 years, that's a small sample size. If he dropped 4 or 5 balls, part of that could be nerves. I don't know. Maybe he dropped 20 balls in those 2 years. I'd be interested in seeing how many drops he had.

My recollection is that Lee was pretty good catching the ball in 2005 and had trouble last year.

Patler
06-02-2007, 03:28 PM

I did! Didn't you read the sections of quotes from disgruntled fans the year BEFORE he left Miami ! :)

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 12:40 PM

I too pull for Ruvell Martin, Ballhawk.

I've been there since we signed him because I love his work etic or attitude.

Not speaking for he but I sence that MJ Ziggy likes him as well

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 12:52 PM
It's alot easier to name those Packers that arn't just a guy than those that are. :)

Those I really like as football players are:

Favre
Driver

Jennings needs more time to assess him

Tauscher

Clifton is about done

The remainder of the OL needs time to assess properly.

Kampman and Jenkins

I felt that Ryan Pickett was slow in delivering last season and I like Corey Williams and wonder why the delay in extending him with about $9 million under the CAP.

Hawk
Barnett

Our safety's are still not up to speed and the verdict will come in on Nick Collins this season.

Harris
Woodson

That demonstrats how far I believe we have to go.

Patler
06-03-2007, 04:25 PM
My recollection is that Lee was pretty good catching the ball in 2005 and had trouble last year.

Nope, he was the worst on the team in percentage of drops in 2005, among the players with a significant amount of passes thrown their way.

Henderson - 0/24
Chatman - 2/86 - 2.3%
Franks - 1/39 - 2.6%
Martin - 1/39 - 2.6%
Fisher - 2/65 - 3.1%
Green - 1/26 - 3.9%
Driver - 6/149 - 4%
Ferguson - 3/58 - 5.2%
Donald Lee - 4/53 - 7.6%

HarveyWallbangers
06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
4/53 That isn't great, but I don't consider that astronomical. Numbers can be funny. He had less opportunities. Probably harder to catch every ball when you know you won't get many opportunities. I'm not saying he has great hands, but drops are a subjective statistic.

What were his numbers in 2006?

Patler
06-03-2007, 07:54 PM
4/53 That isn't great, but I don't consider that astronomical. Numbers can be funny. He had less opportunities. Probably harder to catch every ball when you know you won't get many opportunities. I'm not saying he has great hands, but drops are a subjective statistic.

What were his numbers in 2006?

Dropping one of every 13 passes thrown your way is certainly not real good, and 53 opportunities is not too bad.

In 2006 he had 5 drops in 22 opportunities.

My whole point is that this has been a consistent problem for Lee. Franks had one bad year as far as drops are concerned. The drops won't improve by having Lee in there.

HarveyWallbangers
06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
What were Bubba's stats last year?

Patler
06-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Probably the more interesting question in my mind is why were drops dramatically up for the entire team?

Green had six drops from 2003-2005, then had his worst season ever in 2006 with 8 drops in 63 opportunities.

Henderson hadn't dropped a pass since 2003, then had 2 drops in 17 opportunities last year.
Martin went from 1 of 39 in 2005 to 3 of 35 in 2006.
Franks 1 of 39 in 2005; 6 of 53 in 2006.
Lee 4 of 53 to 5 of 22.

About the only one with improved performance was Driver, 6 of 149 to 6 of 170.

These guys are professionals. You wouldn't think a change in offense design would have prolonged effects, but maybe it did.

Fritz
06-04-2007, 08:20 AM

Do we have a Frank White on the team :wink:

Oops...Tracey White. And Frank Walker.

I too am mytified as to why Coston is not at the OTA's. He seems bright enough and from the accounts I've read is personable; I'm guessing he had a real family problem or emergency to deal with.

wist43
06-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Hopefully Lee will come around... his drops could be a function of not being comfortable. Not understanding the coverage, i.e. he reads zone, but it's man, and even though he's in the clear, he gets alligator arms in anticipation of getting nailed.

For Lee, I think it's the mental aspects of the game that lead to his drops... in the end, it doesn't matter what is causing him to lose focus and drop the ball, if he doesn't get it fixed he won't be around long.

MJZiggy
06-04-2007, 04:38 PM

I too pull for Ruvell Martin, Ballhawk.

I've been there since we signed him because I love his work etic or attitude.

Not speaking for he but I sence that MJ Ziggy likes him as well

Yeah, I've been rooting for Ruvell. I'd like to see him elevate himself and become more of a threat.