PDA

View Full Version : OTA WORKOUTS NOTES/PICS

packers11
05-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Pictures ^^^^^^^^^ (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=U0&Date=20070531&Category=PKRCAMP&ArtNo=705310806&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=1)

Original URL: www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/05/31/2/
return to site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike McCarthy Press Conference Transcript - May 31

posted 05/31/2007

(Does the recent situation in the front office affect you or the team?)
No, we haven't felt any effect from what's gone on this past week. Once again, the leadership of our organization is in tact, and the landscape of the National Football League changing is part of what goes on in our industry. During times like this, you look at leadership, and without a doubt, everybody has confidence in Bob Harlan and the executive committee.

(Have you spoken with the players about it?)
No, there really wasn't anything as far as our department or our area that I felt I needed to address. I touched on it in the team meeting today, just very briefly. Once again, the leadership is in tact and we're moving forward.

(What's Hodge's injury?)
It's a knee injury.

(Did he have surgery?)
No he did not. He's going through rehab and he's getting close. It's probably going to take him throughout the OTAs. Our target with Abdul is training camp.

(Is Brandon Jackson kind of catching up right now?)
Brandon's challenge as he moves forward is really not the schematic memorization or learning, because he was exposed ... what we've done the last two days was really what we accomplished in the rookie minicamp and also in minicamp No. 1 with the veterans. So he's kind of gone through a review the last two days, and we will actually go back and review it again on Monday, because the way we're structured as far as our installations, everything we build comes off these first two installations, so we want to make sure everybody has everything down pat. Like I communicated in the team meeting today, don't leave here unless you're 100 percent on what you're asked to do, particularly in these first two installations, because as we move forward, everything comes off of this.

(Are you pleased with the number of guys who are here? Does it concern you about anyone who's not here?)
I have no concerns. I can just tell you this. Every member on our football team, we've been in direct communication. The objective of what we're trying to accomplish in the offseason program, and I look at the offseason program through really three stages -- the actual training that goes on here, what we refer to as the offseason program, the camps that we're able to have is the second phase, with the rookie camp and the minicamp, and the third phase being the OTAs. Now, it's obvious to everybody that you have different levels of experience with your football team. We're particularly young, so we do a lot of things always tailored to the young guys. That's the importance of these review days I referred to earlier. Monday is important. Particularly with the older guys, we're also being smart with them from a body standpoint, and we do have blocks of time as these guys do come in and are built in the travel. Our whole scheduling really is in tune with the older, the veteran players. As far as the individuals who are not here, number one, it is voluntary; number two, I have no concerns because the individual plans are in place, and I feel very good about the progress we made as a football team both individually, in the particular position groups, and more importantly as a team throughout the spring.

(Is it really asking these guys that much to show up for 12 days, considering the money they make, to set an example for their teammates?)
I think that's a blanket statement that everybody would say heck yeah, I could see why you say that, but also you're dealing with 94 individuals as I look on my depth chart board and I'm talking about the gentlemen you referenced and so forth. It's really the more experienced players, and to just use one instance and what he's gone through with his body, and some of the things that have happened in the past, ... there are training methods. I don't disagree with it, because there's more than one way to skin a cat. That was really part of the research that we took apart in January/February, because we are fortunate here at the Green Bay Packers to have the resources to make it available to our players. But I'm also not na�ve that there's other ways of going about it, and there's a couple of issues there. They aren't even issues, that's what's going on. So I don't really look at it that way, because I look at the big picture. We are improving as a football team, and I've told our team over and over again, I'm very pleased with the individual improvement that we've had throughout the spring, particularly in the weight room, in the classroom, but now the team is here. Is it important for everybody to be here when the team is here? Yes it is, because it's important for when a team works, everybody works. But you also have those instances where people are getting ready. Then you also have the personal situations, and we've had a number last year, and I'm sure we're going to have more as we move through here the next three weeks. Those are things I can't control.

(Were you referring to Woodson there?)
I'm not going to get into this guy and that guy. I've talked to a number of the members during the offseason. It's a voluntary camp. I want them all here, yes. But as far as why they're here and why they're not here, I'm not going to sit here and read off the list every day of why people are here and not here.

(I was just wondering if he said anything about the injuries he's had over his career?)
Charles has a specific training method. Alonzo Highsmith obviously in our scouting department is also down in that area in Houston. They refer to it as the Plex, I'm not exactly sure what the full name of the complex is there. But he's had a lot of success going through their program. In reference to Charles, if you look at Charles this year compared to last year, he's a lot further ahead in his training. He had a very strong medical report, which I was glad to see, specifically with the injuries that he played through last year, with the knee and the shoulder. He's in very good shape and excited about the season.

(How many practices is Brett going to make?)
Nine of the twelve, what we talked about I think at the minicamp. We're on schedule for that.

(Will Aaron Kampman be able to do anything for the OTAs?)
We're being very cautious with Aaron. If we played this week or next week, I feel strongly that Aaron would be out there. We're just being cautious with him.

(Both quarterbacks holding up at this point?)
Yes, both practiced today and went through all the individual, group and team work.

(How'd they look?)
You didn't go to practice today? I thought they looked alright...it means 'real good'. No, I thought they looked good. Brett's been throwing the ball, you know he didn't throw much going into the first minicamp, but I thought he threw the ball well. I mean he just anticipates so well, and those are valuable reps for the younger players. You know you can see one or two to James Jones, just coming out of the break and the ball is there. Those are the little things that you can't get enough of. I thought he (Favre) threw the ball well, and I think Aaron has thrown the ball extremely well. I thought he threw the ball well all spring, and now we've cut him loose medically. I'm very pleased with the progress he's made.

(What about Brandon Jackson?)
I think he looked like a normal rookie. I think he was feeling his way on some things .He understands what he's doing. He's picked it up very clean. The one thing you notice about practice, you don't see mental errors. Yesterday's practice was excellent. If we put 12 of those practices together, I'll be very pleased with the OTAs as a whole. Today's practice I thought was a good practice - obviously when I go watch it, it will tell me more. But you don't see too many mental mistakes. I think we only had four false starts today and I think one yesterday, so those are the things you look for from a mental standpoint.

(From what we saw today, looks like Brandon Jackson is a tough guy to bring down)
Well, I think it's really kind of the way we've gone with the running back group. They're not the tallest individuals but you look at every one of them, they all have excellent lower body strength. I think that will be a characteristic as you look at the whole running back group, a constant.

(What do you do with a guy like Brandon to catch him up?)
Well with what we've done with Brandon and really the whole rookie class, May 15 they're able to travel, so they've all been here since then. I think it was a Monday, we had a three full-day period before they participated in the first minicamp, so really everything he missed in that week he was able to go through prior to his travel out to Los Angeles. So we did that, went through the first minicamp, and then last week Monday through Thursday was a real focus on the rookie class in the weight room. Everybody else was off, and that was their first week off since March 19. Rock Gullickson, Mark Lovat and Brandon Johnson had an excellent week of work with the rookies, so we feel good about where they are as far as their foundation in strength and conditioning. We had four good days there. We went through that last week, there was some individual time in the classroom earlier in the week. Tuesday was our travel day, so we've been hitting it now for two days in the OTA schedule format.

(Are you going to schedule your minicamp so it doesn't conflict again with the NFL event?)
Well they say, make that mistake once; however that saying goes. I think we can get that fixed.

(Did he express to you guys that he would have rather been here?)
Well, I think anybody close to the situation didn't anticipate that he wouldn't be a part of the minicamp. If that was the case, I think we would have made it possible for him to be here. With that being said, I think the timing of it and the way it came down and his anticipation of being here, but obviously it took a different course. I think it was Tuesday when it changed course on us. He's been excellent; he's very willing. Edgar (Bennett), there isn't a day that goes by that you don't see two, three or four players in Edgar's office. And I've talked about this in prior engagements - that's what you're looking for, that one-on-one attention that these guys are taking full advantage of. We've scheduled it in our weekly schedules for coaches to be available to players, and more importantly the players are taking full advantage of it, and Brandon is one of these guys.

(What signs do you want to see from Bubba that he'll bounce back from last season?)
Well, I'll say this about Bubba Franks - I think he's in excellent shape No. 1. He's not a youngster, so I think he's put a lot of preparation into this offseason, and you can see that. Particularly when guys do get older, the joints are the things you concern yourself about. I just think he's moving No. 1 extremely well. He had some injuries that he fought through last year. The adjustments we've made schematically he's picked them right up. Bubba's been excellent. I thought he had a very good minicamp, and he's off and running with these first two days.

(Did you have Brett on a throwing schedule at home after the minicamp?)
I'd like to sit up here and tell you I told him to throw 35 times and things like that. Frankly, I think he's done it long enough that he knows what he needs to do. We put him on the pitch count in the first minicamp just to be smart, and he didn't throw a whole lot and that was more because of the ankle that we were holding him back there. He's full go. He's in excellent shape for this time of year. We have the body scan that we do on every player, and in talking to the trainers during practice, they haven't read the full report but they felt this is the best one they've seen on him yet. So, I think that illustrates what he's been doing and his preparation physically to get ready.

(Will you increase his reps throughout the OTAs?)
I think today's practice will be constant through the OTAs. The most important thing for Brett is to get the individual timing with the players that he has played with, and the newer players, and to go through the adjustments we've made schematically and just get the little details cleaned up. The other thing that's going on with Brett is, I've done this process every year with the quarterback that was the starter in every offense that I've coordinated, you go through this time of year, and if there's anything you absolutely don't feel you need, it's time to throw it out. As I've walked through this business, reducing is a constant. The more you can reduce I think it gives your players the opportunity of doing less and being more comfortable, so we'll go through that whole process and that's why it's important for him the nine of the 12 days, we're going to go through all nine installations with him and get it cleaned up and tightened up, ready for training camp.

(How do you see fullback shaping up? Does Miree have the inside track for that job?)
To answer your question, obviously yes, because Brandon has been here. But that's clearly one position that until the pads come on, ... You can get excited about players in shorts and helmets, and it's important because we wouldn't do it if it wasn't important, but I think that will really show itself in training camp. But I really like what the younger guys are doing, and we're using the tight ends a bunch in certain fullback responsibilities. But I think we have some real young willing players that also have special teams ability, so that will be a fun battle to watch.

(How close is Ferguson?)
I would anticipate Robert being ready next week. Once again, we use the word cautious here a lot, and that's kind of been the theme with our medical players that have gone through that. He also fits in that category. But he's close. He's been here the whole offseason, and he's gone through the jog-throughs, and you can just watch him in the rehab and tell that he's really close. I'm hopeful that he'll be ready next week.

(What about Harrell?)
Cautious. If you watch him work out in the weight room, you wonder why he's not practicing full-go. If you would ask Justin, he's ready to go. We're just being smart.

(Will that be a training camp thing?)
It may be. We get together every Monday, Wednesday, Friday with Dr. McKenzie. We talked about it yesterday and we decided to hold him out this week and we'll visit again Monday.

(Is there something about that injury?)
As far as the strength levels, the range of motion, all those things are in tact. It's not a question. Once again, time is important. If you watch him go through the individual and watch him in the weight room and things like that, all that points to that he's about ready. Once again, we're just being cautious.

(Is DeShawn Wynn still limited?)
He had a very good week of rehab last week when he was here going through the strength and conditioning. He's close. I'm hopeful that he can go next week too.

(How well did you know John Jones?)
I met John Jones back in 1999. Actually John and I were hired when I worked here just the one year, and I met John back then. Once again, personally I'm very fond of John Jones. I think he's an excellent man, a wonderful family man. You feel for people. Anytime there's change professionally, it's never easy. But professionally, it's part of our business. But he's a good man. He'll always be a good man.

packers11
05-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Thursday, May 31, 2007
Injury notes
According to coach Mike McCarthy:

-- Quarterback Brett Favre (ankle) is "full go," and his workload should remain consistent for the nine OTA practices he'll attend.
-- First-round draft pick Justin Harrell (bicep) is being evaluated weekly, but he may not participate in team drills until training camp.
-- Linebacker Abdul Hodge (knee) remains on target to return for training camp.
-- Defensive end Aaron Kampman (knee) could play if the Packers needed him this week or next, but the team continues to be cautious with him.
-- Receiver Robert Ferguson (mid-foot) and running back DeShawn Wynn (calf) could practice next week.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
posted by PackersNews.com at 4:41 PM | 0 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QB numbers
Your mostly meaningless passing statistics from today's team, blitz and 7-on-7 periods: Brett Favre 10-for-18, INT; Aaron Rodgers 10-for-17; Ingle Martin 6-for-8, INT.

Favre seemed to have more zip on his passes than in the mandatory minicamp earlier this month. With Favre and Rodgers fully participating, Jerry Babb and Paul Thompson were limited to individual work.

Calvin Russell and Donald Lee had drops -- Lee's was caused by a light bump from safety Charlie Peprah -- and Carlyle Holiday had two more. Holiday's second drop came on the day's final play and led to an easy interception for Will Blackmon.

Patrick Dendy also had a chance for a pick but couldn't handle Rodgers' throw during the 7-on-7 period.

posted by PackersNews.com at 3:51 PM | 0 Comments

The blitz: OTAs Week 1
Other notes ...

-- In the first public, team special-teams period of the spring, Jon Ryan and David Lonie each launched a series of punts from the plus 45-yard line at Ray Nitschke Field. For the most part, Ryan's kicks were better -- his first bounced at the 1, and he dropped four of 10 inside the 10. But it's worth noting that Lonie was battling the erratic long snapping of rookie Clark Harris, whose first four attempts all sailed high and to Lonie's right.

-- On a day with few offensive highlights, Brett Favre probably made the best play when he threaded a bullet pass to Carlyle Holiday on the right hashmark during the second team period.

-- Linebacker A.J. Hawk had the defensive play of the day, a one-handed interception on a Favre pass to Donald Driver during the final team period. Hawk also picked Favre during the mandatory minicamp earlier this month.

-- Frank Walker, who worked as the nickel cornerback with the first team, made an exceptional 1-on-1 play to bat an Aaron Rodgers deep ball away from Holiday in the second team period. How Walker did it with his pants resting completely below his posterior throughout practice is a bit of a mystery.

-- Will Blackmon, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Shaun Bodiford battled a south wind during punt return drills. Blackmon took the first rep during the team period, but only Bodiford handled all his punts without a muff.

-- Kickers Mason Crosby and Dave Rayner went inside for about a half-hour but did no work in front of reporters and the roughly 150 fans watching from behind the fence.

-- Two brief scrums erupted after plays. Teammates had to pull apart defensive tackle Daniel Muir and rookie guard Allen Barbre after a Vernand Morency run. Then, minutes later, tight end Zac Alcorn threw a shoulder into end Jason Hunter after being bumped downfield.

-- Cornerback Tramon Williams made an athletic play to knock a pass away a pass from Jones during the blitz period.

-- Donald Driver drew a few shouts from fans by juking safety Atari Bigby after a shorrt catch.

-- Rookie receiver David Clowney made an exceptional catch in tight coverage during the final team period.

-- Coaches temporarily pulled nickel end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila from the second-team defense after he jumped offsides during the final team period. He also spent time with the third unit.

The latest installment of mostly meaningless passing statistics coming later this afternoon ...

posted by PackersNews.com at 2:19 PM | 0 Comments

Call it ball security
Teammates seemed determined to strip the football from rookie running back Brandon Jackson throughout today's practice.

That led to a scary moment in the first team period, when the Packers' second-round draft pick dropped to all fours after catching a swing pass and running through traffic. After practice, Jackson said someone hit him in the groin.

Asked if it was a cheap shot, he smiled and said: "I saw the hand go down there, so I can't call it right now."

Vernand Morency took all the initial reps with the first unit. But Jackson, who missed the mandatory minicamp earlier this month because of an NFL-sponsored commitment, also worked in with the starters during team periods.

posted by PackersNews.com at 2:01 PM | 0 Comments

Roll call
In addition to the four defensive players noted in an earlier post, tackle Junius Coston missed today's practice. Coach Mike McCarthy made no specific reference to the whereabouts of any of the players in his post-practice remarks except Charles Woodson, who is training in Houston. It seems likely veterans Al Harris and Ryan Pickett also made arrangments to train elsewhere.

Many of the usual suspects participated in few or no drills. That included first-round pick Justin Harrell, defensive end Aaron Kampman, receivers Chris Francies and Robert Ferguson, linebackers Marcus Randall and Abdul Hodge, tackle Kevin Barry, guard Tony Palmer, safety Marviel Underwood, and running backs DeShawn Wynn and Arliss Beach.

Players back on the field who had injuries during camp included defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, tight end Zac Alcorn and guard Jason Spitz.

Bueller? Bueller?

posted by PackersNews.com at 1:44 PM | 0 Comments

Favre, Rodgers work out in 11-on-11 drills
Quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers participated in today's first team period, their first action in 11-on-11 drills during an open practice this spring. Both quarterbacks were limited to 7-on-7 passing drills at minicamp earlier this month.

In the first team period, tight ends Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey again worked with the first team, while veteran starter Bubba Franks worked with the second team.

In the absence of four defensive starters, cornerbacks Will Blackmon and Patrick Dendy and defensive tackles Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole worked with the first-team defense.

posted by PackersNews.com at 11:01 AM | 0 Comments

4 key players missing on defense
The Green Bay Packers' defense is noticeably shorthanded at today's first organized team activity practice.

Defensive tackles Corey Williams and Ryan Pickett and cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris aren't on the field.

The most notable of the group may be Williams, who hoped to sign a contract extension in the offseason. It's unclear why he's not in attendance.

Coach Mike McCarthy will meet with reporters after practice.

posted by PackersNews.com at 10:43 AM | 0 Comments

On to OTAs
The first of the Packers' four open OTA practices begins today at 11:15 a.m. at Ray Nitschke Field, weather-permitting. (Right now, it appears to be permitting just fine, though today's Press-Gazette tells me storms are a-brewin'.)

For everyone who can't ditch work/school/reliving old glories long enough to attend, refresh the blog all day for the latest.

posted by PackersNews.com at 8:05 AM | 1 Comments

packers11
05-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Coaches temporarily pulled nickel end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila from the second-team defense after he jumped offsides during the final team period. He also spent time with the third unit.

What the hell??? I know its OTA's but third? :?:

RashanGary
05-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Probably overblown. DE's and DT's often rotate very liberally through the units.

I would be very suprised if KGB didn't make the team and play quite a few snaps. That said, I think this is his last year unless he gets on HGH which I doubt he'd do because of his religous backround.

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Probably overblown.

Correct. Not a big deal. Now's the time for the team to try to install some discipline into the team--although I don't think after 7 years that KGB is going to curb his propensity to jump offsides much.

Rastak
05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Probably overblown.

Correct. Not a big deal. Now's the time for the team to try to install some discipline into the team--although I don't think after 7 years that KGB is going to curb his propensity to jump offsides much.

If he's third string going into the 3rd preseason game then it's news.....right now it's a non-story.

rpiotr01
05-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Linebacker A.J. Hawk had the defensive play of the day, a one-handed interception on a Favre pass to Donald Driver during the final team period. Hawk also picked Favre during the mandatory minicamp earlier this month.

Hawk's going to have a MONSTER year. I can feel it.

RashanGary
05-31-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm getting a really, REALLY good feeling about Hawk as well. He was a rookie last year and IMO he played better than Barnett. He's barely scratched the surface of what he can do. If we get a legit top 10 defender in 2007 to go with Kampman, Woodson, Harris and Barnett and we'll be in for some big things from our defense.

You know what they say about defense, right?

BallHawk
05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Are these camps mandatory?

MJZiggy
05-31-2007, 09:11 PM
No. Voluntary.

cheesner
05-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Pictures ^^^^^^^^^ (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=U0&Date=20070531&Category=PKRCAMP&ArtNo=705310806&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=1)

. . .
(How do you see fullback shaping up? Does Miree have the inside track for that job?)
To answer your question, obviously yes, because Brandon has been here. But that's clearly one position that until the pads come on, ... You can get excited about players in shorts and helmets, and it's important because we wouldn't do it if it wasn't important, but I think that will really show itself in training camp. . ..

I really like the way MM handles himself. This was an excellent answer. I always snicker when a coach says, 'you never know until the pads go on', or 'no victories are won in shorts', or similar. I always think, 'then why do you bother?' I bet he is a very inspirational guy in the locker room, and just gets guys excited about getting better and playing hard.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Hawk's going to have a MONSTER year. I can feel it.I'm feeling it too. He was the best LB at the end of last season and that isnt a diss to Barnett who was playing with a broken hand.

I went to the GB@49ers game last December and paid alot of attention to the Hawk/Vernon Davis matchup cuz of all the post-draft smacktalk from VD and the fact the Pack could have drafted him instead. A.J. played him stride for stride just about all game and only gave up one big play that I recall. That play was negated when Hawk had that sweet pick in the endzone to seal the win.

Davis is a beast and fast to boot but A.J. held his own and then some. For all the talk of Hawk's weakness being pass defense IMO he got the best of Davis in this first meeting. Very excited to see what he brings this season.

BallHawk
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM
No. Voluntary.

Ok, thanks.

Is anybody aware of any players that weren't in attendance?

MadtownPacker
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Is anybody aware of any players that weren't in attendance?
Didnt he say Woodson and Harris?

MJZiggy
05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
And Pickett

packers11
05-31-2007, 09:24 PM
And Corey Williams...

4 total...

TopHat
05-31-2007, 09:27 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/gallery.aspx?catid=602

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/6130/7773largenq6.jpg

Iron Mike
05-31-2007, 09:32 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/77/7751_thumbnail.jpg

OMG--is that Bubba actually *gulp* CATCHING A PASS?????? :shock:

BallHawk
05-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Nice sig, Mike. :D

RashanGary
05-31-2007, 09:39 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/77/7764_large.jpg

This off season is getting me drunk on kool aid. Why do I like seeing these guys together? I don't know, but for some reason I just think we are in for a special year on defense.

Kampman
Hawk
Harris
Woodson
Barnett
Harrell
Collins
C Williams
Jenkins
Pickett
KGB
Poppinga
I'm drunk because I think Manuel is going to step up with his health this year.

RashanGary
05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
And Corey Williams...

4 total...

Holy Shit, that's like Mike Shermans TC attendance.

Brandon494
05-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Are these camps mandatory?

Did you even read the article? :roll:

retailguy
05-31-2007, 09:50 PM
No. Voluntary.

Yes. that's why they all have to be "excused" if they don't show up! right.

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I know all players are cut, but Brandon Jackson looks really cut.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/77/7758_large.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=613339

Jackson doesn't see sights in L.A.
Rookie studies playbook after NFL promo duties
By TODD ROSIAK, JSO

Green Bay - Forced to travel to Los Angeles to do promotional work for the National Football League rather than attend the Green Bay Packers' minicamp two weeks ago, rookie Brandon Jackson did what he could to make his trip a productive one from a work standpoint.

So rather than hit the town with his fellow first- and second-round draft picks in their free time - which Jackson said they had plenty of - he instead spent the majority of time in his hotel room, poring over the portions of his playbook he brought with him.

Considering the Packers weren't installing anything new on offense at that point, Jackson wasn't missing much back in Green Bay. Nevertheless, he wasn't pleased with having to be away, considering he's fighting for the starting running-back job with Vernand Morency.

"I was real frustrated," he recounted Thursday, shortly after taking part in the second of 12 voluntary practices the Packers have scheduled in June. "But, knowing what you got to do, I really didn't care after that. I had to go, so I went, did that. That's done and over with. I'm back out here, I'm happy and I'm just ready to go."

It has been a hectic month or so for Jackson since being drafted in the second round, 63rd overall, by the Packers.

He took part in a rookie orientation minicamp the weekend after the draft in early May, and aside from his trip to the West Coast has been in Green Bay most of the rest of the time.

Last week was a rookies-only, four-day series of workouts in the weight room, coupled with classroom work. Now Jackson's in the midst of a crucial stretch of practices that will give him his first taste of what the Packers will be running in the upcoming season.

"He's been excellent," coach Mike McCarthy said of Jackson's work thus far. "He's very willing."

It will be crucial for Jackson to catch on quickly if he is to unseat Morency, a third-year player who has the benefit of a year's experience in Green Bay's offense from which to draw.

He's familiar with the broad strokes, having played in a West-Coast attack in college that utilized zone blocking, as the Packers do. Still, he left school after his junior season, and has barely more than a half-season's experience as a starter.

"I feel like I'm on track right now with learning the plays," Jackson said. "I feel like when the new installation comes in, I kind of know what to do because coming from Nebraska . . . I got the grasp of it. It's just a little different terminology. When I get that, everything's cool."

Vying to replace departed starter Ahman Green, Jackson, like Morency, figures to give the Packers a different look in the backfield.

Both are listed at 5 feet 10 inches and 212 pounds, and although they might not pack quite the punch Green did at the line of scrimmage, both are faster and present more of a breakaway threat.

"It's really kind of the way we've gone with the running back group," McCarthy said. "They're not the tallest individuals but you look at every one of them, they have excellent lower body strength, and I think . . . as you look at that group that'll be a constant."

Morency ran with the No. 1 offense Thursday, as he has throughout the minicamps, but Jackson got a few opportunities to show what he could do as well.

He runs low to the ground, is quick in and out of his cuts and appears to have plenty of speed to burn.

"I'm not really worried about that," Jackson said when asked about Morency's current role with the No. 1 offense. "Coach told me don't worry about that, as long as I get back in and get in with the pace that we're going at right now."

Indeed, one of McCarthy's mantras during the minicamps was jobs weren't won and lost based on what had transpired thus far in the off-season.

Even so, Jackson is shooting to displace Morency at some point, a goal he made clear Thursday.

"That's every guy's outlook, to become the No. 1 guy at his position," he said. "Yes, I want to be the No. 1 guy. Can I say I'm the No. 1 guy right now? No. But, I want to, and I know it's going to take a lot of hard work because we've got four or five other running backs that are great and they want to do the same thing: They want to start.

"I know it's going to be a lot of competition out there."

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2007, 10:04 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/77/7755_large.jpg

Joemailman
05-31-2007, 10:10 PM
I know all players are cut, but Brandon Jackson looks really cut.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/77/7758_large.jpg

Well, maybe not all players

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DLLDCMDHOKDF/pre_jax01%20(1).jpg

Iron Mike
05-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, maybe not all players

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DLLDCMDHOKDF/pre_jax01%20(1).jpg

Looks like Grady's slimmed down a bit:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/12/08/sports/08heavy.184.jpg

rpiotr01
06-01-2007, 08:45 AM

Who's the guy wearing Ahman's number?

woodbuck27
06-01-2007, 08:59 AM

Who's the guy wearing Ahman's number?

30 Arliss Beach RB 5-10 222 23 2 Kentucky FA-06

and to compre their size.

32 Brandon Jackson RB 5-10 212 21 R Nebraska D2-07

rpiotr01
06-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks Woodbuck.

Beach looks like he has more than just 10 pound son Jackson. Looks to have a thicker mid section.

BallHawk
06-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Brandon Jackson is an orthodontist's nightmare.

TopHat
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070601/PKR01/706010680/1989

Notebook: Jones' ouster has little effect on field

Though the ousting of chairman-to-be John Jones rocked the Green Bay Packers organization this week, the football side of the franchise probably feels the least impact in the short run. The Packers had their first two organized team activities practices this week — they will have 10 more such practices over the next three weeks — and Jones' unexpected departure shouldn't have any influence on how the football operations are handled by General Manager Ted Thompson, coach Mike McCarthy and the players. "We haven't felt any effect from what's gone on this past week," McCarthy said. "Once again, the leadership of our organization is intact, and the landscape of the National Football League changing is part of what goes on in our industry. During times like this, you look at leadership, and without a doubt, everybody has confidence in (Chairman and CEO) Bob Harlan and the executive committee."
The Packers' quarterly board of directors meeting on Wednesday was one of the more intriguing in recent history because Harlan and the executive committee explained their decision to put Jones on a leave of absence. But another part of that meeting was Thompson's state-of-the-team address to the board. "Football operations is fine," Harlan said. "I've talked to both Ted and Mike about it, I've visited with several members of our coaching staff and personnel staff over the last week. We're fine there. The bumps we hit, I think we've gotten over those bumps. I'd like to look back at the last four weeks of our (2006) season where we had a positive finish and think we're on the upgrade going into this season."
Family illness. Defensive tackle Corey Williams hasn't been at the Packers' voluntary organized team activities practices this week because he is in Arkansas with one of his sisters, who had a stroke over the weekend. Jeff Courtney, Williams' agent, said his client's sister essentially had raised Williams from when he was a child. Courtney said Williams' sister is improving but remains in intensive care. He didn't know her age or long-term prognosis. Courtney said he wasn't sure when Williams will return for OTAs, which run for three more weeks, but his absence has nothing to do with wanting a contact extension. "He would have been there (Thursday) but for his sister," Courtney said, later adding: "I know he's going to be there as soon as he can be there. It's tough for him."
MIA. The OTA practices are voluntary, so teams can't fine or penalize players for not showing up, and three prominent veterans — starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett — were not in attendance. Harris skipped the OTAs last year as a protest about his contract, but the Packers improved his deal with an extension this offseason. McCarthy didn't say why Harris and Pickett didn't attend, and Harris' agent, Jack Bechta, was unavailable for comment. Woodson, in the meantime, skipped the OTAs last year because he prefers to work out on his own in Houston in the offseason. McCarthy is trying to establish a culture in which all players show up for OTAs but suggested Woodson's absence, for instance, isn't a major issue because of the 30-year-old's health. When the Packers signed Woodson as a free agent last year, he was coming off a broken leg in 2005, and then he played through shoulder and knee injuries in 2006. "There are (different) training methods," McCarthy said. "I don't disagree with it, because there's more than one way to skin a cat."
Practice updates. Quarter-backs Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers took part in 11-on-11 drills this week for the first time this offseason. Favre is coming back from arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle, and Rodgers is coming off a broken foot. Both were held out of 11-on-11 work during the mandatory minicamp in mid-May. Justin Harrell, the Packers' first-round draft pick, is taking part in only limited drills after having surgery to repair a torn biceps last year. McCarthy said Harrell might not take part in 11-on-11 drills until training camp. "Time is important," McCarthy said. "If you watch (Harrell) go through the individual (drills) and watch him in the weight room and things like that, all that points to that he's about ready. Once again, we're just being cautious."
Team awards. Five players will be honored for their 2006 achievements during the Packers Hall of Fame induction banquet on July 21 at the Lambeau Field atrium. Wide receiver Donald Driver and defensive end Aaron Kampman will share the most valuable player award. Tackle Daryn Colledge and wide receiver Greg Jennings will share the award as offensive rookie of the year. Linebacker A.J. Hawk will be honored as defensive rookie of the year. Two retired players — wide receiver Robert Brooks and safety LeRoy Butler — will be inducted as the 135th and 136th members of the hall. This year's fan selection, Rich Barbera, also will be honored. The event begins with a cash bar at 4:30 p.m., followed by dinner and the program at 7 p.m. Tickets are $110. Tables of 10 are available and are assigned in the order they are purchased. Early reservations are recommended.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Franks and KGB relegated to 2nd team. Tight end Bubba Franks and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila continue to fight to regain their status as former starters; both once again were relegated mainly to working with the second team," writes Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Franks seems to have take the demotion to heart. Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette notes, "Before a reporter reached Franks' locker on Thursday afternoon, the Green Bay Packers' tight end offered this: 'I don't want to talk about being on the second team.'" Both Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey lined up with the first team before Franks got in some reps later in practice. Even though Franks may not want to talk about the demotion, he needs to be reminded that he put himself in this position.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

http://packers.scout.com/2/648108.html

Favre’s presence sets tone in OTA’s. Veteran quarterback begins meshing with young offense

Let’s start with the not-so-good news, then the good news: The usual suspects were nowhere to be seen in the first of four opportunities that the public was given Thursday to watch the Green Bay Packers conduct an Organized Team Activities practice at Ray Nitschke Field. The Packers began the first of 12 voluntary OTA workouts on Wednesday. Like last year, cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris, and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett were not present. It is unclear whether either of the three will attend any of the OTA practices, but don’t hold your breath. Woodson, like last year, is training in Houston and doing well, according to coach Mike McCarthy. Harris is in Florida and training, though, unlike last year, content with his current contract. Pickett, who skipped the OTA’s last year, appears to be taking the same approach this year by training at his off-season home in St. Louis.
The good news: Woodson, Harris and Pickett all played well last season for Green Bay, despite missing the OTAs. While it would be good for them to be in Green Bay around their teammates, it is better that they report to training camp in top shape and the right frame of mind. Even better news: many of the team’s veterans have plans to attend as many of the practices as possible, including Brett Favre. With an offense surrounded by questions, it is imperative that Favre be on hand.
Favre will be participating in 9 of the 12 practices, according to McCarthy, which can only help the Packers’ offense. Unless some veteran free agents are signed soon, the Packers will enter this season with a very young offense around Favre. Though he sat out of team drills during the team’s mandatory minicamp less than two weeks ago, Favre began participating in team drills this week. McCarthy has been impressed with Favre’s overall physical condition as well as his commitment to the team. “He's full go,” said McCarthy. “He's in excellent shape for this time of year. We have the body scan that we do on every player, and in talking to the trainers during practice, they haven't read the full report but they felt this is the best one they've seen on him yet. So, I think that illustrates what he's been doing and his preparation physically to get ready.”
Favre’s presence also will help players around him understand his tendencies, whether it is part of the play or not, in a setting that is not as cut-throat as training camp. Wide receiver Ruvell Martin provided an example of a ‘Brett-ism.’ “Brett came out there today and started doing some of his little Brett things that he does, making different checks at the line, where nobody else would make that check,” Martin explained. “Not that Aaron (Rodgers) can’t make the check, it’s just coach might say something to him if he does it, rather than if Brett does it. But it’s realistic. It’s not that he’s making up stuff that we’re not doing. It’s stuff that’s in, but we may not have gotten to it yet. It’s just review. When Brett comes in, you’re right up to speed and you’re right where you left off.”
The Packers will try to improve an offense that struggled to score points in the red zone last year, so with Favre and veteran wide receiver Donald Driver and the entire offensive line attending the voluntary practices, it’s a step in the right direction. “The most important thing for Brett is to get the individual timing with the players that he has played with, and the newer players, and to go through the adjustments we've made schematically and just get the little details cleaned up,” McCarthy said. “The other thing that's going on with Brett is, I've done this process every year with the quarterback that was the starter in every offense that I've coordinated, you go through this time of year, and if there's anything you absolutely don't feel you need, it's time to throw it out. As I've walked through this business, reducing is a constant. The more you can reduce I think it gives your players the opportunity of doing less and being more comfortable, so we'll go through that whole process and that's why it's important for him the nine of the 12 days, we're going to go through all nine installations with him and get it cleaned up and tightened up, ready for training camp.”

The Leaper
06-01-2007, 01:40 PM
This off season is getting me drunk on kool aid. Why do I like seeing these guys together? I don't know, but for some reason I just think we are in for a special year on defense.

I agree for the most part. Thompson is right to focus on defense, and we have a nice balance of veterans and youth there. That unit should strengthen going forward.

However, I still can't forgive Thompson for ignoring offensive weaknesses and providing a one year starter/2nd team WAC WR as the top upgrade to the receiving corp which was mostly responsible for a horrific red zone efficiency in 2006.

The Leaper
06-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Beach looks like he has more than just 10 pound son Jackson. Looks to have a thicker mid section.

I think Jackson may have more muscle though...that kid is a rock.

Joemailman
06-01-2007, 04:35 PM

I agree for the most part. Thompson is right to focus on defense, and we have a nice balance of veterans and youth there. That unit should strengthen going forward.

However, I still can't forgive Thompson for ignoring offensive weaknesses and providing a one year starter/2nd team WAC WR as the top upgrade to the receiving corp which was mostly responsible for a horrific red zone efficiency in 2006.

I will respectfully disagree with your assessment that the receiving corp was mostly responsible for the poor red zone efficiency last year. The biggest failure was the Packer's inability to get decent yardage on 1st down running plays, which I feel was mostly due to a OL that was starting 2-3 rookies, plus the fact that the ZBS was new to everybody. The other big factor was the poor performance of the TE's, although perhaps you were including them when you said receiving corp.

BallHawk
06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Good point, Joe.