PDA

View Full Version : Najeh Davenport

mmmdk
06-01-2007, 04:19 AM
From rotoworld:

Steelers backup RB Najeh Davenport will not have to learn on the fly this season and he already is adjusting much easier this season, as opposed to last when he was signed one week into the season. "He had to learn everything on the run last year," OC Bruce Arians said. And now? "He looks explosive." Davenport, who will compete with Kevan Barlow and possibly Verron Haynes for playing time behind starter Willie Parker, was also used successfully as a receiver and kick returner last season.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Learning curves are underestimated. Last season, Davenport was thrown into the fire trying to acclimate to a new team instantly. Now with a full season and the offseason up to now under his belt, he's feeling much more comfortable. Do not underestimate him.

Just an update but interesting nonetheless.

Fred's Slacks
06-01-2007, 07:28 AM
He was an effective back for us, when he was healthy which was maybe 5 or 6 games a season.

The Leaper
06-01-2007, 08:37 AM
He was an effective back for us, when he was healthy which was maybe 5 or 6 games a season.

When healthy, Davenport certainly is a solid back. In Pittsburgh's scheme, he certainly could thrive...until he gets injured again.

MadtownPacker
06-01-2007, 08:43 AM
I say this year he breaks he gluteus maximus in an ironic twist of fate.

Fritz
06-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I say this year he breaks he gluteus maximus in an ironic twist of fate.

I think the chances are better that he breaks wind.

I've sometimes wondered if Najeh planned his laundry basket escapade pretty thoroughly. I mean, he'd have to coordinate the young woman's schedule with his body's schedule. He had to wait until his body let it be known it needed to rid itself of some waste material, then get over to the young woman's room - while she was out - and find the laundry basket. That sounds like it would require a fair amount of planning.

With that much thought, how difficult can it really be to learn somebody's offensive system?

oregonpackfan
06-02-2007, 09:56 AM
[quote=MadtownPacker]I say this year he breaks he gluteus maximus in an ironic twist of fate.

I think the chances are better that he breaks wind.

I've sometimes wondered if Najeh planned his laundry basket escapade pretty thoroughly. I mean, he'd have to coordinate the young woman's schedule with his body's schedule. He had to wait until his body let it be known it needed to rid itself of some waste material, then get over to the young woman's room - while she was out - and find the laundry basket. That sounds like it would require a fair amount of planning.

Fritz,

To sum up, Fritz, are you implying that Najeh must have "Had his shit together?" :)

The Shadow
06-02-2007, 10:43 AM
He never impressed me.
The image I most have is his sweeping to the left & fumbling - luckily, most of the time, out of bounds.
Jackson & Morency are much better fits for the new scheme.

retailguy
06-02-2007, 11:17 AM
He never impressed me.
The image I most have is his sweeping to the left & fumbling - luckily, most of the time, out of bounds.

Who said anything about the new scheme? There was nothing wrong with Najeh, other than, Sherman drafted him and he couldn't stay healthy.

Brando19
06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
If Najeh can stay healthy...he'll be a very effective back for the Steelers. I tried very hard not to laugh when I typed "if Najeh can stay healthy."

Partial
06-02-2007, 12:01 PM
He never impressed me.

Who said anything about the new scheme? There was nothing wrong with Najeh, other than, Sherman drafted him and he couldn't stay healthy.

I think its more the he couldn't stay healthy. I once argued he'd be one of the best backs in the league to my friends and that they'd let Ahman walk after his contract was up. Too bad he just couldn't stay healthy.

BobDobbs
06-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Najeh was an excellent change of pace back and a surprisingly good kick returner. He ran to upright and because of it he got injured too often. The other problem with running upright is that he ran into people not through them. He never lowered his shoulders so he didn't knock people backwards and deliver hits. That is why Ahman was the short yardage back even though he was smaller.
This note was the result of preseaon reporting. It is more fun to be optimistic that our team will get better so the reporters serve up all these hype stories during the training camps and OTAs. Remember all the Hawkins hype, or the other DB who we traded to the rams, or how smart Will Whitaker was and how quickly he picked up the offense. It's all just donuts for breakfast. It's fun every once in awhile, but don't eat 'em all you'll feel sick.

Lurker64
06-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Didn't we hear a "Najeh looks fast an explosive and will have a great year this year" virtually every offseason when he was a Packer?

BooHoo
06-02-2007, 04:17 PM
He made a good backup. I wish him well in Pitt.