View Full Version : Two tantalizing: Brady, Moss team up

woodbuck27
06-01-2007, 10:17 AM
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1004247

Two tantalizing: Brady, Moss team up

By Karen Guregian
Boston Herald General Sports Reporter and Columnist

Friday, June 1, 2007

FOXBORO - Finally, our first glimpse of Randy Moss in Patriots [team stats] colors. More specifically, and more important, our first visual of the dream connection.

Since the stunning draft day trade with Oakland a month ago, the feeling around New England has been like the aftershocks of a great TV cliff-hanger, counting the days until Tom Brady [stats] would hook up with his new game-breaking receiver.

So how did Moss look running routes and catching passes from the two-time Super Bowl MVP during yesterday’s optional passing camp? Has the dynamic duo established any chemistry in its short time together on the football field?

Did we, as Moss promised during his conference call with the media following the trade, “see some things that you’ve never seen before” as he showcased his talent?

Not quite.

At this point, after witnessing much of the team’s two-hour practice yesterday, it’s way too early to put Brady and Moss in the same category as Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison.

But let’s just say this:

After watching Moss effortlessly pull in a Brady bomb down the left sideline for a touchdown, it was easy to fast-forward to a fall afternoon, maybe against the New York Jets [team stats] (or even better, the Indianapolis Colts), and imagine what the 6-foot-4, 210-pound receiver with breakaway speed is going to mean to the offense.

Brady has never had this kind of weapon in his arsenal. He’s never had a receiver this tall, this fast, this gifted. He’s never had such a deep threat at his disposal.

On that particular play, Moss had single coverage in the person of cornerback Tory James. He used his body to shield off James, gliding in front of him to haul in the pass.

Essentially, Brady just launched it up to the left side of the field when no one was open. That’s what Daunte Culpepper used to do in Minnesota. Heave the ball in Moss’ direction and let him do the rest.

It had the look of the kind of football you play in your back yard. Have one guy go deep, hope the ball makes it there, and hope the receiver can make a play.

All in all, it was interesting to watch the two work on establishing a rapport, as well as operate in concert with the entire offense - which is still a bit rough around the edges.

At the start of practice, Moss and Brady were pretty much attached at the hip. They played catch and goofed around. At one point, after the horn sounded signaling a move to the next phase, Moss lofted a 20-yard pass that Brady pulled in.

Moss, who wore No. 6, certainly looked like he was doing his best to fit in, and had already made significant strides to that end.

The 30-year-old wideout seems to have already established a comfort level with some of the other receivers. During stretching, he was the life of the party, holding court with Reche Caldwell [stats], Jabar Gaffney [stats] and Kelvin Kight.

The receivers were laughing and joking, the aforementioned trio mostly rapt as Moss spoke.

On the field, meanwhile, he showed some of his competitiveness, getting visibly irked after slipping on the wet field as he was making a cut.

A few other plays didn’t go his way. His speed wasn’t always evident, and he had a couple of drops, notably on a fade route during the two-minute drills.

Matt Cassel threw the long pass down the right sideline, with cornerback Mike Richardson in coverage and safety Rashad Baker helping out. Actually, Baker did more than help, as he popped Moss, knocking the receiver off his feet.

Moss, who mostly worked as an outside receiver, initially had the ball in his hands, but it was jarred loose on impact from the hit.

A few plays later, though, Brady hit Moss with the kind of play we’ve been waiting for.

Only a few more months before it’s real.

Comment Woodbuck27:

For awhile some of us at least had been dreaming.All it would've taken was a third round pick, offered at the correct time.

Randy Moss or James Jones? James Jones or Randy Moss? :)

I believe that Randy Moss will have a big year in NE.

Talent plus talent means production.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Try explaining that to a lot of people on this forum. I know I've tried.

Packnut
06-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Moss will have a very good season IMO. But for that mater so will Eric Johnson, Grant, Griffith, Hamlin ect, ect , and ect................

oregonpackfan
06-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Has Randy Moss informed Tom Brady of which dates he will be available to help the team(I'll play when I want to play)?

packinpatland
06-01-2007, 12:03 PM
In the entire piece on Moss, this is what I most enjoyed reading:

A few other plays didn’t go his way. His speed wasn’t always evident, and he had a couple of drops, notably on a fade route during the two-minute drills.

Matt Cassel threw the long pass down the right sideline, with cornerback Mike Richardson in coverage and safety Rashad Baker helping out. Actually, Baker did more than help, as he popped Moss, knocking the receiver off his feet.

Moss, who mostly worked as an outside receiver, initially had the ball in his hands, but it was jarred loose on impact from the hit.

Scott Campbell
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
I thought maybe Brady hooked up with Kate Moss. Dude can't get enough of them supermodels.

packinpatland
06-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I thought maybe Brady hooked up with Kate Moss. Dude can't get enough of them supermodels.

:roll:

oregonpackfan
06-01-2007, 12:32 PM

At least Brady does not hang around with the likes of Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, or Nicole Ritchie! :)

packinpatland
06-01-2007, 12:49 PM

At least Brady does not hang around with the likes of Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, or Nicole Ritchie! :)

Yes, you're right, the boy does have some common sense

rpiotr01
06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Meh, I didn't care if that turd wound up on our team one way or the other.

cheesner
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
In the entire piece on Moss, this is what I most enjoyed reading:

tick tick tick . . .

Fritz
06-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Hey, if I were Tom Brady, young and rich and single, I'd be attempting to fornicate with as many supermodels as possible.

One meaningless practice doesn't mean much as far as how R. Moss will do. We'll just have to let it play out over the course of the season.

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 03:03 PM

Yes, you're right, the boy does have some common sense

How about the A-Rod story that is all the buzz !!

That was just plain DUMB on his part !!

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Try explaining that to a lot of people on this forum. I know I've tried.

yea.

We're in a bad dream that we can't awaken from. :)

Creepy
06-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Before you get all worked up about Moss & Brady, try digging out some of those stories posted by Raiders writers when Collins and Moss worked out. I haven't, but I'll bet they are the same drivel that we have just read.

What receiver is going to draw attention that will allow Randy to get open? This is not the Moss of 1998, this is 2007 and double coverage is what he will start out with. Randy won't be allowed single coverage and when Brady starts passing to other players when Randy thinks he should have got the ball, what happens then?

The only advantage in GB for Moss was Driver. When you have a receiver on the other side like Driver, you can gett he right coverage and get open. Do the Patriots have a second receiver as good as Driver? No, so Randy may not tear up the league as much as they would like.

My main reason for Moss coming to GB is because of Driver. Driver is the guy who is where he is supposed to be when Brett needs him, Moss would have been the right addition to when Brett started to scramble and the play was broken. That is what Moss was best at in Minnesota.