PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Franks' starting days may be over

woodbuck27
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Posted June 1, 2007

Franks' starting days may be over

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Bubba Franks tried to fend off the question before it was asked.

Before a reporter reached Franks' locker on Thursday afternoon, the Green Bay Packers' tight end offered this: "I don't want to talk about being on the second team."

Yet on the second day of the voluntary organized team activities — and the first session that was open to reporters — Franks' apparent demotion stood out.

When the No. 1 offense took the field for the first time during a team period, Franks was on the sideline. The Packers opened in a two-tight end set, and the first reps went to Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey. On the next play, fullback Brandon Miree replaced Humphrey, leaving Lee on the field. Franks got only a handful of reps during the team periods of Thursday's two-hour practice.

Franks said the coaches have been "just kind of playing around with some things," but practice time is precious, and coaches don't do things like changing personnel without something specific in mind. It was a continuation of how Franks was used during the team's mandatory minicamp last month, when Lee got the most work with the starters.

When asked if he thinks he's the Packers' starting tight end, Franks said: "I don't know. No one has told me anything.

"(Before the minicamp) I felt pretty confident, and then I came in here and, you know, that's what happens," Franks added.

"You just do what you can do."

What Franks is trying to do is shake off the worst season of his seven-year NFL career. Franks matched his career low with only 25 catches and, for the first season in his career, didn't catch a touchdown pass. He has only one touchdown catch since 2005.

To be sure, the tight end group as a whole was far less productive last season. Lee, after a career-high 33 catches and two touchdowns in 2005, caught only 10 balls and didn't have a touchdown last season. Coach Mike McCarthy had to rely more on the tight ends in pass protection because of the Packers' young, inexperienced offensive line, thereby limiting their productivity as receivers.

With Franks, though, it's possible he has reached the point where his skills have diminished significantly. He's 29 years old and is beginning his eighth NFL season. He never was a speed guy to begin with, and any loss of quickness could signal the beginning of the end for him.

However, he insists that's not the case.

He returned to his old ways of training in Miami this offseason rather than spending most of it in Green Bay like he did last offseason, and believes he is in top shape. He said he's leaner, stronger and lighter (at 260 pounds) than he was last year.

"I'll say this about Bubba Franks: I think he's in excellent shape, No. 1," McCarthy said after Thursday's practice.

"He's not a youngster, so I think he's put a lot of preparation into this offseason, and you can see that. I think he's moving extremely well. He had some injuries that he fought through last year. The adjustments we've made schematically, he's picked them right up. Bubba's been excellent. I thought he had a very good minicamp, and he's off and running with these first two (OTA) days."

However, none of that will guarantee Franks a spot on the roster. In years past, Franks' name likely would be mentioned today as a possible June 1 cut. But changes to the collective bargaining agreement allowed teams to cut veterans before June 1 and spread out the salary-cap hit over two years.

Franks' salary this season ($1.4 million) isn't off the charts for a starter, but it's high for a backup. Plus, the Packers have high hopes for Humphrey and second-year pro Zac Alcorn, and they drafted a tight end, Clark Harris out of Rutgers, in the seventh round.

"I'm 100 percent confident I'm going to do my job and whether it's here or somewhere else, it doesn't really matter," Franks said. "I'm getting in shape to play this season. Where that is doesn't make a difference to me."

Comment woodbuck27:

Does Houston need a TE ? :)

FritzDontBlitz
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
good question, woody.

i would prefer to see a three-way battle for the spot rather than hand it to the younger guy. bubba had a forgettable year last season but lee's season was even worse. m3 raves about the great shape bubba's in and how hard he's working, but he's not in the mix for the 1st team? could bubba's contract be the reason he's being demoted?

it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Leaper
06-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Bubba will not get cut. The team may have "hopes" for Alcorn and Humphrey, but unless they both really step up and show a lot more than they have to this point, there is no way that you would keep both of them over Franks...who at least is a fairly reliable blocker for an aging QB. It isn't like the other TEs on the roster have phenominal talent that begs you to give them time to prove themselves.

The coaches know what they have in Bubba...so they are going to give plenty of reps to the others guys prior to training camp to help determine who might be worth keeping.

wist43
06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
I was glad when they finally got him signed a few years - only b/c the TE's they were throwing out there were pathetic.

That said, I've never considered him worthy of being a 1st round pick, or a pro bowl player... he's a good blocker, and up until last year he had been sure handed.

His complete lack of quickness and speed, however, mandate that he be replaced in the starting lineup. Don't know that Humphrey or Lee are the answer, but one thing is for sure, Franks isn't.

Tarlam!
06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Posted June 1, 2007

Franks' starting days may be over

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

(...)I'm going to do my job and whether it's here or somewhere else, it doesn't really matter" Franks said. "I'm getting in shape to play this season. Where that is doesn't make a difference to me."

Wow. I thought this guy was a Packer. Obviously not.

rpiotr01
06-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow. I thought this guy was a Packer. Obviously not.

I know. Bubba's pissed. But what can you tell the guy? If he didn't screw up so much last season he wouldn't have been demoted.

Personally I can understand his frustration with how he was used last year. He wanted to catch passes and TDs but MM kept him back to block way more often than he probably wanted. And to his credit Bubba was a good soldier about it, he didn't lash out, he did a good job blocking when needed.

But the drops... my god, the drops! Remember his fumble on the goal line during the home Vikings game? That could have turned the game one way or the other... let alone the emotional aspect of getting Brett one last (possibly at the time) Lambeau field TD. I held my breath every time he caught a pass because I felt like it was going to pop out of his arms at any time.

So bottom line is, he has no one to blame but himself for this. If anything he should be GRATEFUL for the situation he's in. If TT went out and got a pass catching TE in the draft or FA (if there was one available...) he'd be even further down the totem pole. As it is he still has a chance to work his way back to the starting spot. On many (most?) other teams that wouldn't be the case.

billy_oliver880
06-01-2007, 06:30 PM
But the drops... my god, the drops! Remember his fumble on the goal line during the home Vikings game? That could have turned the game one way or the other... let alone the emotional aspect of getting Brett one last (possibly at the time) Lambeau field TD. I held my breath every time he caught a pass because I felt like it was going to pop out of his arms at any time.

I was in the stands that night that he fumbled that ball. Right in front of me. I prayed like hell he never had another pass thrown his way that night. I don't even remember it being knocked out either...I think he was just being careless with it. Don't bother me a bit if he isnt starting.

Fritz
06-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Is Bubba morphing into "just a guy" right in front of our eyes?

I find it telling that the best MM could do was trumpet what great shape Bubba is in. That's like interviewing somebody for a job, and when that person asks if he/she got the job, the response is "hey, you looked great."

If the Packers think they can get the same production out of a no-name tight end as they can from Bubba, TT will be calling Houston. Bet he's got the Texans on speed dial.

BooHoo
06-02-2007, 04:21 PM
We need better production out of our TEs. Doesn't matter if it is Bubba or one of the new guys.

mmmdk
06-03-2007, 04:11 AM
We need better production out of our TEs. Doesn't matter if it is Bubba or one of the new guys.

Very true; yet the fact that Mike the III believes we're talented at TE has me very worried. The Mike III statement was from last season though, maybe he sees it differently now!?

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Bubba needs a tad more ZIP in his mayonnaise.

He often appears lethargic to me, or is it simply boredom with his role?

Maybe it's just this. . . or boredom?

Prior to his last contract we became aware that he wanted to be the number 1 option for more big plays. He felt that until we were deep in the red zone that he was being under fascilitated.

Well reality took command and we had to groom a new OL. That meant that Bubba's ability to block took a more demanding and consumming role.

He is now mostly used in a checkdown role if he can release after his primary need to block.

The result.

That may be causing him concentration problems.