PDA

View Full Version : Great Rock Music lives on for the ages!

oregonpackfan
06-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Last week, I traveled up to Tacoma, WA to pick up my daughter, who had completed her first year of college at Pacific Lutheran University.

I had to park about half a block away from my daughter's dorm because there were a number of parents also picking up their college students and their belongings.

My parking spot was right in front of the University gym. I noticed that about 7-8 rowing machines were pulled out of the gym and parked on the gym's lawn. Taking advantage of the beautiful sunny day in the mid-70's, young men and women on the University's Crew teams were all rowing in tandem to soft rock music.

As I listened to the music, I realized the music was the rock opera Tommy by The Who. That album was released in 1969. It brought a nostalgic smile to my face.

I walked up to the rowers and asked, "Which one of you chose this music?" One of the young women sheepishly raised her hand. She said, "I thought the overall tempo of the album was good music to row to."

I responded, "Let me offer my congratulations to a fine choice of music. That album was a favorite of mine when it came out while I was in college!

I could see a couple of the guys were beginning to roll their eyes. I added, "I guess appreciation of great music does not change over the years! Have a good workout."

My only regret was my daughter was still up in her room and did not witness the conversation. It would have been nice for her to realize her father is still capable of embarrasing her. :)

Do any of you younger posters listen to music of the Woodstock era? :?:

the_idle_threat
06-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Definitely! I was born in the late 70's, and almost all of the music I listen to is older than I am.

packinpatland
06-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Reminds me of when my daughter played field hockey in school, being captain, she got to choose the music they practiced to.
Her choice...............Janice Joplin :)

Rastak
06-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I once was in a home brew store (buying home brewing supplies) when I mentioned to the dude behind the counter thet I thought it was cool they had Gentle Giant playing....he said (kind of astonished) I was the first person to ever recognize the band. This was late 80's but these were college kids so prog rock had indeed lived on. I chatted with them and they knew all the solid bands and their solo offshoots. Was kinda cool. They seemed to be surprised that I knew all those bands....unusual since they were 30 years distanced from that music and I was 20.

BallHawk
06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Only Woodstock-era music I listen to is Jimmy Hendrix.

oregonpackfan
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Reminds me of when my daughter played field hockey in school, being captain, she got to choose the music they practiced to.

Janis Joplin!? Wow! :o

One of her songs has the lyric: "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz? My friends all have Porches. I must make amends..."

I hope your daughter does not come to you with the altered line, "Oh, Mom, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz..." :)

packinpatland
06-03-2007, 08:47 AM

Janis Joplin!? Wow! :o

One of her songs has the lyric: "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz? My friends all have Porches. I must make amends..."

I hope your daughter does not come to you with the altered line, "Oh, Mom, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz..." :)

:lol: :lol: No, that won't happen. We just loaned her money to fix up her 17 year old Volvo!

Badgepack
06-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Both my daughters (20 and 23) have plenty of old Bowie, Gram Parsons, Beach Boys, Deep Purple, T Rex, ect... on thier Ipods. Course, they grew up having to listen to it.

packinpatland
06-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Both my daughters (20 and 23) have plenty of old Bowie, Gram Parsons, Beach Boys, Deep Purple, T Rex, ect... on thier Ipods. Course, they grew up having to listen to it.

Mine raided the attic and took all our vinyl! To frame the jackets .

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 02:34 PM
The Rock music from so many bands of the 60's and 70's RULE !

Alot of the music we are being forced fed today really sucks.

I hate RAP music and that isn't far ahead of much of the HIP HOP CRAP.

The Stones,Led Zepellin,CCR,The Who,Pink Floyd,The Animals,STYX, Aerosmith, April Wine and The Band, are just a few of the bands that I still prefer to listen to.

packinpatland
06-03-2007, 02:48 PM
What was that line from the 'Big Chill' about 70's music?
Keven Kline says there is no other music, not in his house.

oregonpackfan
06-03-2007, 07:09 PM
The Rock music from so many bands of the 60's and 70's RULE !

Alot of the music we are being forced fed today really sucks.

I hate RAP music and that isn't far ahead of much of the HIP HOP CRAP.

The Stones,Led Zepellin,CCR,The Who,Pink Floyd,The Animals,STYX, Aerosmith, April Wine and The Band, are just a few of the bands that I still prefer to listen to.

Woodbuck,

Please don't forget The Grateful Dead! :)