PDA

View Full Version : Breakout player of the year

packers11
06-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Who do you think the Breakout Player of the year for the packers will be?

If its not in the poll, simply state the name and why...

Brando19
06-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Morency. He'll be the #1 back and will work very hard to prove himself.

GrnBay007
06-02-2007, 01:36 PM
FERGY!!!

hehe :oops:

But hey, you never know..... :wink:

I actually voted Jennings. Love to see him have a big year.

Bretsky
06-02-2007, 01:58 PM
It's gotta be Hawk, Jennings, or Collins IMO

I'm not sure any of the other guys have the talent to do anything too special...this year at least.

Brandon Jackson would be a pleasant surprise though.

mmmdk
06-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I voted Morency. I like the guy, he's a great ZBS player but I do question his durability. Greg Jennings is second. AJ Hawk is the real deal - he showed that last season. I just love wearing my authentic Hawk jersey 8-) AJ HAWK TO THE PRO BOWL.

oregonpackfan
06-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I vote Hawk for a number of reasons. First, he has a year of experience under his belt. Second, for the first time in 5 years, the Packers have a Defensive Coordinator who is actually returning. They have had 4 different DC's in the past 5 years. That continuity should help the entire defensive unit.

Finally, the D-line should be stronger with the addition of Harrell. That will free up Hawk and our other linebackers to have a greater impact on the game.

FritzDontBlitz
06-02-2007, 02:09 PM
i pick two:

rb deshawn wynn: although he's nursing an injury and hasnt participated yet, i'm betting he'll be considered a steal as a 7th round pick. he was very productive on the national champion florida gators last year.

ss aaron rouse: he has the physical skills that translate into an intimidating strong safety.

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I tried to pick all of them, but that wasn't an option.

packers11
06-02-2007, 02:28 PM
I tried to pick all of them, but that wasn't an option.

pass over the kool-aid :lol:

Patler
06-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Jon Ryan.

It takes punters a while to catch on, he was a rookie in a new country, and he had an extremely challenging personal life last year. Should be a much easier time for him this year.

GBRulz
06-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm going to say anyone but Poppy.

Many of you know "the fence" that gets painted every year next to the stadium, well, it's kinda like the Madden game cover curse.... They just painted the fence for this year and it has Poppinga and Pickett on there, so...if it plays out like the past, they are going to have a bad year :(

BallHawk
06-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm gonna go unorthodx and say Ruvell Martin. I think he has a serious chance to have a 500 yard, 5 TD season.

If I'm going with the norm, I say Brandon Jackson.

OS PA
06-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm going out on a very thin limb here and saying Marquand Manuel will have a break out year this year, and play like he did for Seattle down the stretch.

Fosco33
06-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I big weakness I see over the past number of years is kick/punt return - who is our guy now? To me, starting field position leads to game changes and more points plus puts the D in a better position if the drive fails.

Here I voted GJ, I think Hawk broke out last year. Jennings needs to learn to take a hit (and not always fight for yards) - he hurt his longevity last year that way. With #4 and a year of experience, I expect big things given our inability to upgrade this position w/ vets or potential impact rooks.

packers11
06-02-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm suprised no one has gave Collins a vote ...

Rastak
06-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I big weakness I see over the past number of years is kick/punt return - who is our guy now? To me, starting field position leads to game changes and more points plus puts the D in a better position if the drive fails.

Here I voted GJ, I think Hawk broke out last year. Jennings needs to learn to take a hit (and not always fight for yards) - he hurt his longevity last year that way. With #4 and a year of experience, I expect big things given our inability to upgrade this position w/ vets or potential impact rooks.

I'd go Jennings myself. I didn;t think Hawk broke out at all the end of last year. I admit I didn't see all the games but when I did see him he seemed solid but unspectacular. He might emerge this season.

Fosco33
06-02-2007, 07:51 PM

I'd go Jennings myself. I didn;t think Hawk broke out at all the end of last year. I admit I didn't see all the games but when I did see him he seemed solid but unspectacular. He might emerge this season.

Led team in total tackles in rookie year.

3rd in AP Def Rook of Year.

2 INTs in December.

2 time Rook of the Week (once against the Vikes :wink: )

Met my expectations and is clearly not a flop but does have room to improve.

Rastak
06-02-2007, 07:59 PM

2 INTs in December.

That ain't bad!

Freak Out
06-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I have to go with Jennings. The main reason being is that #4 is back and Jennings should be much more durable this year as well as knowing his routes and responsibilities much better. I see both he and Driver having good years, maybe great if we can get a solid running attack going as well.

the_idle_threat
06-02-2007, 10:45 PM
I voted B. Jackson, because it made me think Bo Jackson. :eyes:

CaliforniaCheez
06-02-2007, 10:53 PM
PATRICK DENDY!!

http://i.packers.com/pg/dendy_patrick_2006/photo2.jpg

BallHawk
06-02-2007, 11:27 PM
PATRICK DENDY!!

You do realize this is the "Breakout Player" thread, right?

I believe you are looking for the "Just a Guy" thread, which is just a few topics down.

:wink:

Bretsky
06-03-2007, 10:09 AM
PATRICK DENDY!!

You do realize this is the "Breakout Player" thread, right?

I believe you are looking for the "Just a Guy" thread, which is just a few topics down.

:wink:

Yes, that's the thread where Martin is getting the most votes :lol: :wink:

BallHawk
06-03-2007, 11:12 AM
If Martin doesn't pan out, I'll look like a complete idiot. :D

Good thing that won't happen. :D

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 12:28 PM
I picked AJ Hawk but I hope it's Greg Jennings.

I will be very surprized if any of our RB's stand out. On what basis could I think otherwise? :)

GO PACKERS !!

packers11
06-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Hawk and Jennings leading (the way I thought)... I'm surprised a lot of people are picking B. Jackson to have a breakout year his rookie season, I wouldn't mind at all, but I don't see it...

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Hawk and Jennings leading (the way I thought)... I'm surprised a lot of people are picking B. Jackson to have a breakout year his rookie season, I wouldn't mind at all, but I don't see it...

That would fall under the category of wishful thinking. :)

BEARMAN
06-03-2007, 04:49 PM
My write in vote goes to Rex Grossman ! 8-) He will have a GREAT season this year, more weapons, more exposure, more better ! Your Chicago BEARS are poised to do it again, (only WIN it this time !) :lol:
Is lord farve having a tissy fit this week ? What now, he don't like the cheese cold? :roll:

Fosco33
06-03-2007, 05:19 PM
My write in vote goes to Rex Grossman ! 8-) He will have a GREAT season this year, more weapons, more exposure, more better ! Your Chicago BEARS are poised to do it again, (only WIN it this time !) :lol:
Is lord Favre having a tissy fit this week ? What now, he don't like the cheese cold? :roll:

That's just Gross :lol:

Bretsky
06-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Is lord Favre having a tissy fit this week ? What now, he don't like the cheese cold? :roll:

Thank God the Bears have Rex; with a legitimate QB they would be a real threat :lol:

wist43
06-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I see everyone has very high expectations for James Jones...

Don't see it with Morency... he just runs too small. Defender gets near him, he dances, then lays down.

cheesner
06-04-2007, 09:27 AM

2 INTs in December.

Breaking out is relative. You can be good and become very good. Or you can be very good and become great. I think Hawk was very good, and is going to become great this year and step into the top tier of LBs in the NFL. He got my vote.

Partial
06-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Nick Collins and Greg Jennings. Hawk will need one more year before he is premiere.

BallHawk
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
I think Nick Collins could very possibly have a Pro Bowl year. As long as the coaches don't screw with his head, he's got as much athleticism as any safety in the NFL.

LL2
06-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I picked Jennings, but quite honestly I hope to see 2 or 3 players have a break out year. I’d like to see Jennings at WR, then Ruvell Martin play a solid role. Morency and Jackson at RB combine for 1600 yards. I’d like to see Harrell be a monster in the middle just wreaking havoc. Hawk improving on a pretty decent rookie year. In a dream world I’d like to see Rouse unseat Manual and Clowney be a deep WR threat.

Iron Mike
08-20-2007, 07:41 PM

IDK if you're watching the same Wrex that I am watching right now.........six plays/three miscues!!!!! :P

Joemailman
08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I voted for the Hawkmeister. Having Jenkins disrupting things in front of him at the line of scrimmage will make Hawk a major impact player.

MadtownPacker
08-20-2007, 07:54 PM
My write in vote goes to Rex Grossman ! 8-)100% agree!!!!!!!

He will be a key player in the two games the Pack abuses the bears. Without his interceptions and overall sorry QBing the games might actually be close.

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm going out on a very thin limb here and saying Marquand Manuel will have a break out year this year, and play like he did for Seattle down the stretch.

I don't think this is out of the question. Manuel is slow to begin with and he couldn't run all last off season so he was out of shape. Manuel is a guy who can't afford to be out of shape. He also didn't have much time to get comfortable in the defense. I think he could make a big improvement. I don't think he has the upside to win this award though.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I really hope Collins breaks out. This is his third year, so if he's ever going to be anything more than average this is his year to show it.

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I picked Hawk.

GrnBay007
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Wonder who picked JJ? :wink:

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I picked Hawk.

I'm shocked. 8-)

I want Jon Ryan. He's my candidate for breakout of the year. Practice makes perfect.... he'll be a stud by year end. Best punter Green Bay has ever seen.

(I'm totally serious, BTW), and I recognize it's not the popular pick, but the guy is really going to help this year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
I picked Hawk.

I'm shocked. 8-)

I want Jon Ryan. He's my candidate for breakout of the year. Practice makes perfect.... he'll be a stud by year end. Best punter Green Bay has ever seen.

(I'm totally serious, BTW), and I recognize it's not the popular pick, but the guy is really going to help this year.

I agree with this. Not many punters in the league have this guy's leg strength. He also has improved his punting inside the 20 yard line which was a problem last year. .

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Holy shit, some optimism? ? :lol:

I know it's backhanded and assuming teh offense can't move the ball, but for you to expect a guy to improve is very rare :)

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Holy shit, some optimism? ? :lol:

I know it's backhanded and assuming teh offense can't move the ball, but for you to expect a guy to improve is very rare :)

Wrong. This is how I know you can't read. I've said plenty of times that guys will step up and improve, I just don't think enough will do it at the same time THIS YEAR to make the team what you think it'll be.

I've got big hopes for several guys.

Most notably, besides Ryan, are Collins, Jenkins, Colledge (though I think he's a better tackle), and Hawk.

If they don't step up, this team is finished.

Packers4Ever
08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
FERGY!!!

Me too, GB007, he'll be coming back after his
ankle has healed, and then we'll turn him LOOSE !! :bclap:

GrnBay007
08-20-2007, 10:30 PM
FERGY!!!

I picked JJ. :D

Packers4Ever
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
FERGY!!!

I picked JJ. :D

So is it GJ or JJ ??? :?: :P

The Leaper
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I think Collins will break out more than Hawk...mainly because the impact of the improvement on the DL typically is of greater benefit to the DBs than it is for the LBs. Our LBs will see fewer runs...and when they do, the DL will be more likely to take some tackles away.

Besides, Hawk played very well last year...and we all more or less figured he was a potential Pro Bowl level player within the next 2-3 years. Collins barely hung on to his job at points during last season...and could emerge as a real playmaker in 2007.