PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had 'silver' tooth fillings replaced?

Fosco33
06-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Ok, I went to a new dentist today and he wants to replace all of my very old silver fillings (no new cavities - but he said they form beneath the filling over time). It doesn't appear insurance will cover it but the general aesthetic look of white composite and the health risk of having mercury deteriorating in my mouth caused me to reconsider. I've got an appt in two weeks to swap half of them.

Anyone do this? What was your experience like?

packinpatland
06-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................mercury and probably a tad of lead too.
This explains so much :wink:

packinpatland
06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Seriously, I don't envy you.
Try web md.
Keep us posted, there's a few of us probably in the same boat.

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm still waiting to lose my lead fillings and the price of silver to fall.

Freak Out
06-03-2007, 05:14 PM
I had all mine replaced years ago, If you still have a mouth full of them you should do it. My insurance covered it all though just like they were cavities.... must be how they coded it when it was sent in?

MJZiggy
06-04-2007, 12:20 AM
I've been doing it as I have other work done. It looks a lot better but feels different for a while. Other than that, yes, it's nice to get the old stuff out of there and not think about it whenever you read an artice or the dentist mentions it.

Fosco33
06-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Well, two sessions over the last week and I'm 'silver' free. Dentist found a cavity underneath one of the old fillings - so I'd suggest not waiting more than a decade to replace silver.

My mouth is more aesthetically appealing, as MJ might say, - but she's right that it feels different.

I'm gonna go in sometime next week and do shave down (and maybe demand a molding) to realign my bite - a misaligned bite b/c of fillings can lead to TMJ.

Haven't seen the insurance side of things - but I know they'll be covered b/c other people in my company have gotten it paid in the past.

Deputy Nutz
06-23-2007, 02:27 PM
No I haven't, I ain't that old,but can I have your silver?