PDA

View Full Version : Jenning has his priorities straight.

packinpatland
06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Isn't this refreshing????

http://www.mlive.com/sports/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1180764667134670.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

What a year it's been for Jennings

In life, some years are more eventful than others.

It's unlikely Greg Jennings has had many more exciting than the last 12 months.

A rookie season in the National Football League, the birth of his daughter -- even if he did nothing else interesting, the last half of 2006 and the first part of 2007 qualify as a life-changing period of time.

Friday night, the Green Bay Packers receiver joined other area sports celebrities such as Detroit Lions running back T.J. Duckett (Loy Norrix), former Major League Baseball player Mike Squires (K-Central), Western Michigan University football coach Bill Cubit and Broncos basketball coach Steve Hawkins, among others, in a charity softball game against local law enforcement and public officials at Homer Stryker Field.

The second-annual game raised money for the Douglass Community Association's programs.

``This is what it's all about,'' said Jennings, who's also holding the Greg Jennings Bowl-a-thon at 3 p.m. today at Airway Lanes, with proceeds benefiting Hoopsters, one of those aforementioned Douglass programs.

Jennings' star power has never been greater in his hometown. Friday, children of all ages -- young and too old to be children -- flocked to him, taking advantage of a chance to have their picture taken with the former K-Central and WMU star, or have his autograph scribbled on a hat or T-shirt.

In a few days, Jennings will be back in Green Bay, back in the Packers' offseason training program.

There, his star has risen, too, after a rookie season that saw him catch 45 passes for 632 yards and three touchdowns and bond with future Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre.

``I think he just developed confidence in myself and from there we pretty much gradually got on the same page and ever since then we've been just rolling with it,'' Jennings said of Favre, who has mentioned Jennings in numerous newspaper articles when talking about the future of the franchise. ``As long as you stay on the same page as the quarterback and just catch the balls, you'll be all right.''

Though Jennings' career in Green Bay appears on solid ground, it's been a turbulent offseason for the Packers, beginning with rumors that the guy Jennings is ``rolling'' with wanted to be traded.

Jennings' take: Don't believe everything you hear or read.

``You know what, it was pretty much all false information,'' Jennings said. ``I was down there with Favre at his golf outing (in Mississippi). ... He's ready to go. He's up there with us at OTAs. All that's behind us.''

Favre's issue reportedly stemmed from Green Bay's inability to acquire Randy Moss, who plays Jennings' position and would likely have taken opportunities away from Jennings.

Jennings said he wasn't hurt by the Packers' or Favre's interest in the talented-but-troubled receiver.

``It was all fine,'' Jennings said. ``I have to take care of my side of it, I've got to take care of me. I need to prepare myself, coming off an (ankle) injury (last season), I have to do the things that I know I need to do to help my team win ball games.''

A year in the pros -- and in the fishbowl that is Green Bay -- has taught Jennings a number of things, including to be wary of the media, something he seemingly wasn't during his senior year with WMU.

``They have to do their job and we have to do ours,'' he said. ``That's why we have to be careful with what we say and the way we carry ourselves. ... Sometimes people can misperceive what you say. Pretty much speak clearly and you'll be understood.''

Of course, all of this, the NFL and the life that comes with it, means nothing now to 5-month-old Amya Gabrielle, Jennings' first child.

``That's the great part about it,'' Jennings said. ``When you go home, everything is just about being a parent, being a family, a father, a parent, a husband. ... It's great being a dad.''

oregonpackfan
06-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I agree with your Packinpatland,

He sounds like a very mature, young man who is a credit to the Packers' organization.

Bretsky
06-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Great Read; thank you for posting

Sounds like a great guy we'll enjoy watching for many years

The Leaper
06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
I like Jennings a lot. He's a good kid with solid talent. He will never become a great playmaker IMO, but he will be a reliable #2 WR in the league for a long time.

HarveyWallbangers
06-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I think he showed playmaking skill his rookie year. You don't have to be 6'4" and run a 4.3 40 to be a playmaker. He's shown he can be a playmaker--in the Driver mold. He just has to stay healthy.

The Leaper
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I think he showed playmaking skill his rookie year. You don't have to be 6'4" and run a 4.3 40 to be a playmaker. He's shown he can be a playmaker--in the Driver mold. He just has to stay healthy.

How so?

He had one really big play...a 75 yard TD that would've been a 20 yard reception if not for the blocking skills of Donald Driver.

Outside of that catch, he had 44 other catches for 557 yards (12.7 avg) and 2 TDs. Granted, he's a rookie...but those aren't playmaker numbers. 1 TD every 15 catches isn't a spectacular ratio...especially when a guy like Favre is throwing you the ball, who is one of the best TD producing QBs in league history. If you can't catch TDs from Favre, who the hell will you catch them from? I'm sure Jennings will do even better in 2007...but he just didn't really show an ability to be a big point producer based on what I saw last year. He'll be a reliable possession receiver...which is a needed commodity as well. He doesn't remind me of Driver...Driver is far more elusive in the open field than Jennings is. Driver is a very shifty runner, which is how he can make as many plays as he does. I haven't seen that same ability from Jennings yet.

I liked Thompson selecting Jennings because his vast college experience prepared him to make a more immediate impact in the NFL. That is why I am disappointed with the Jones pick...that kid has a long way to go to be as good as Jennings, but was taken only about 30 picks later...and in a draft that was deeper at WR.

Charles Woodson
06-04-2007, 11:14 AM
You don't have to be 6'4" and run a 4.3 40 to be a playmaker.

No, but it sure does help.

HarveyWallbangers
06-04-2007, 11:58 AM
How so?

He had one really big play...a 75 yard TD that would've been a 20 yard reception if not for the blocking skills of Donald Driver.

Outside of that catch, he had 44 other catches for 557 yards (12.7 avg) and 2 TDs. Granted, he's a rookie...but those aren't playmaker numbers.

They say stats are for losers. He had 20 catches for 364 yards and 3 TDs before his injury. That pro-rates to 64 receptions for 1165 yards and 10 TDs over the season, and an average of 18.2 yards/reception. Even taking out his 75 yard reception (which is kind of silly because it would skew the stats for most players to take out their longest receptions), he had an above average 15.2 yards/reception. I'll go off what I saw. He made plays in the preseason (12 receptions for 328 yards--including an 89 yard reception). He made plays in the 5 games he was healthy. He made people miss (see Minnesota game). He got behind people (see New Orleans and St. Louis). He took short routes to the house (see Detroit).

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 12:46 PM
How so?

Outside of that catch, he had 44 other catches for 557 yards (12.7 avg) and 2 TDs. Granted, he's a rookie...but those aren't playmaker numbers.

They say stats are for losers. He had 20 catches for 364 yards and 3 TDs before his injury. That pro-rates to 64 receptions for 1165 yards and 10 TDs over the season, and an average of 18.2 yards/reception. Even taking out his 75 yard reception (which is kind of silly because it would skew the stats for most players to take out their longest receptions), he had an above average 15.2 yards/reception. I'll go off what I saw. He made plays in the preseason (12 receptions for 328 yards--including an 89 yard reception). He made plays in the 5 games he was healthy. He made people miss (see Minnesota game). He got behind people (see New Orleans and St. Louis). He took short routes to the house (see Detroit).

I'm confused. You say stats are for losers; then you rip off a bunch of stats to support your viewpoint :lol: :lol: sooooooooo ....

Anyways, I think Jennings can be as good as Driver as well.

Cheers,
B

HarveyWallbangers
06-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm confused. You say stats are for losers; then you rip off a bunch of stats to support your viewpoint :lol: :lol: sooooooooo ....

That was my point. I could take the same stats, and twist them to support my view.

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 05:23 PM

That was my point. I could take the same stats, and twist them to support my view.

I'm not smart enough :lol:

RashanGary
06-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I think he showed playmaking ability too Harv. I watched about 10 or 15 hours of practice almost solely dedicated to Jennings. He made play after play after play and untill his injury, he just kept doing int during the season.

If Jennings is just as good as Driver, we have 2 of the better WR's in the league.

2 SUPERSTARS? No but 2 WR's that are borderline probowlers.

packinpatland
06-04-2007, 07:59 PM
I think he showed playmaking ability too Harv. I watched about 10 or 15 hours of practice almost solely dedicated to Jennings. He made play after play after play and untill his injury, he just kept doing int during the season.

If Jennings is just as good as Driver, we have 2 of the better WR's in the league.

2 SUPERSTARS? No but 2 WR's that are borderline probowlers.

I like what you have to say, but disagree with the word 'borderline'. Jennings will have to prove himself, but Driver is there.

MadtownPacker
06-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Then the same can be said of any long running play. Unless the defense is gonna lay down every play the offense will have to block to open up holes.

Driver made one, Jennings did something great with it. I'll take that anytime.

The Leaper
06-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Driver made one, Jennings did something great with it. I'll take that anytime.

I'm not talking about the defense and their ability or inability. I'm talking about individual playmaking ability. I do not see how you can equate that play to Jennings in terms of being a playmaker. The playmaker on that play was Driver...not Jennings. Just about any WR in the NFL could've taken it to the house on that play the way Driver blocked.

Jennings will face more defensive attention this year. I'm waiting to see how he handles it before I crown him as a "borderline Pro Bowl player" or anything like that. He is what he is at this point...a guy who runs very good routes and has reliable hands. That clearly is a great starting point. However, it will take more than that to be a Pro Bowl receiver. We will learn far more about Jennings in 2007 than we did in 2006.