PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Hey, Hey, Goodbye! Walker trade - rate it!

Fosco33
04-29-2006, 04:59 PM
I say Good. Some value for a guy who we may have received only a 4th for comp next year.

OS PA
04-29-2006, 06:13 PM
I'll know for sure how to rate it when I see who we pick up in the 3rd round, as of now I wish we had sat at 36 and 37 and have picked up Chad Jackson and Jimmy Williams.

MadtownPacker
04-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Good because it was gonna get ugly. GReat would only be if he stayed and returned to his 2004 form. I have a feeling it wont be this year. denver has to hook him up or he is a FA next season, can they be stupid enough to show him the money now when he is untested?

mraynrand
04-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm impressed that they were able to finagle a second for him (37!) and then turn it into two picks.

TT with Seattle and now in GB is drafting guys in the early rounds that can play the game of football, rather than getting all lathered up over measurables. I think Millen got all hot for that safety from Nebraska because he had big guns. He's going to be sorry when he figures out the guy has no discipline to stay at home and honor his assignments. Same may be true of LB Sims. Go TT! keep getting guys that can play the game and keep getting more picks!

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 6:49 p.m.

By Dave Heller
Second-round analysis

From NFLDraftCountdown.com:

On Daryn Colledge: "Can play either tackle or guard and will help give Brett Favre the protection he needs."

On Greg Jennings: "Fills a big need since both Javon Walker and Terrence Murphy are no longer with the team."

From NFL Draft Class:

On Colledge: "Solid pick for the Packers, who needed a light, versatile lineman to fit their scheme. Grade: B"

On Jennings: "Very nice pick, Green Bay's having a solid draft. Jennings will be Javon Walker's eventual replacement. Grade: B "

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson:

On Colledge: "Colledge really improved his stock leading up to the draft, and is a quality tackle to develop down the line. Could be a full-time starter in a year. He buried Mathias Kiwanuka a few times in protection drills at the Senior Bowl and got scouts buzzing."

On Jennings: "Jennings is a guy that will be able to fill the multi-dimensional role left open by the unfortunate development with last year's second round pick, Terrence Murphy. Jennings can return punts and could develop into a good No. 2 option next to Donald Driver now that Javon Walker is in Denver. He doesn't have great speed, but he finds ways to be a playmaker."
Right-click to get URL suitable for linking

ND72
04-29-2006, 10:19 PM
i said great cause we are done with the whinny little bitch.

swede
04-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Great would have been trading for Buffalo's 2nd this year and their next year's first. Marv is showing a little loss of judgement.

Tarlam!
04-30-2006, 01:58 AM
i said great cause we are done with the whinny little bitch.

Prolly the first time I disagree with ND on a poll.

I said terrible. You all know why: bad example...

Guiness
04-30-2006, 02:11 AM
good - rid of him, and got decent return. Boy, he really came close to blowing the whole thing up with his demand for $10mil guaranteed! I wonder if Denver had an agreement before consumating the deal?

I also wonder if he hadn't been so demanding in his contract demands if the swap with NO in the first round would've happened?

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 10:13 AM
last i heard, denver and walker hadn't agreed to a contract.

i predict walker as a washout. questionable knee and his attitude spell disaster.

GBRulz
04-30-2006, 10:18 AM
does anyone know what the general reaction of how accepting the Denver fans were of this? Just curious if they are excited, or do they feel they are getting an injured attitude problem?

I'm looking forward to hearing JW's comments about joining Denver. he isn't smart enough to keep his mouth shut it seems....

Packers4Ever
04-30-2006, 02:07 PM
does anyone know what the general reaction of how accepting the Denver fans were of this? Just curious if they are excited, or do they feel they are getting an injured attitude problem?

I'm looking forward to hearing JW's comments about joining Denver. he isn't smart enough to keep his mouth shut it seems....

GBM, I know for sure what MY comments would have been as a Bronco's fan, I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief today - it's good riddance to a future troublemaker!
Judy

MadtownPacker
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
GBM, I know for sure what MY comments would have been as a Bronco's fan, I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief today - it's good riddance to a future troublemaker!
Judy

Have to agree, Iam relieved this is over with. I really wanted walker but not like that.

denver donkey fans where excited about getting owens so walker should suit then fine. Hope he suck. No injury, just sucks!

GBRulz
04-30-2006, 07:16 PM
I just went on the Bronco's official site. They have a forum there as well and was reading comments on Walker. They are very excited about getting him, but skeptical of the deal he was given. Apparently he is about to sign a 6 year deal with a $10 million signing bonus. I don't know any other details than that.

We'll see how he does without having a 3time MVP throwing to him...

woodbuck27
06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I say Good. Some value for a guy who we may have received only a 4th for comp next year.

This is not a situation where one can look at the draft value chart and say. . . well Javon was picked at #20 in the first and made a PRO Bowl, so we need 800 pts of value in return for a fair trade.

As it turned out. Javon Walker got to useless for us. That became a terrible situation that called for the BEST action plan to recover from.

TT traded him to Denver for an early second rounder - the 37th pick or that's worth 530 pts. and pick #139 - 36.5 pts or a total of 566.5 pts AND then . . . the action began.

TT made two more trade downs, and in fact we exchanged that #37 or 530 pts. for picks #47 (OT - Darren Colledge) ; #115 (CB/WR - Will Blackmon) ; #148 ( QB - Ingle Martin ) ; #183 ( DT - Johnny Jolly) and finally #185 ( S - Tyrone Cullver) or a draft value overall of about 560 pts. They did OK , once committed.

Tell me that didn't put a spin on the war rooms personnel's heads , engineering that feat, LOL .

Personally I feel it may have been more prudent to simply use the #37 and hold on of course, to the #139 pick and save all the jockeying for those three extra picks that were essentially the #148, #183 and #185 picks.

In fact - I would have chosen to retain both picks at #36 and #37. Quality at need over quantity and there were some excellent picks available in those slots.

What we experienced again is simply TT's style to trade down for extra picks. Again - I would have used both picks at #36 and #37 as loads of talent at need was there . . . for. . . OUR team . . . not New England or Atlanta !

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2006, 10:12 PM

This is not a situation where one can look at the draft value chart and say. . . well Javon was picked at #20 in the first and made a PRO Bowl, so we need 800 pts of value in return for a fair trade.

As it turned out. Javon Walker got to useless for us. That became a terrible situation that called for the BEST action plan to recover from.

TT traded him to Denver for an early second rounder - the 37th pick or that's worth 530 pts. and pick #139 - 36.5 pts or a total of 566.5 pts AND then . . . the action began.

TT made two more trade downs, and in fact we exchanged that #37 or 530 pts. for picks #47 (OT - Darren Colledge) ; #115 (CB/WR - Will Blackmon) ; #148 ( QB - Ingle Martin ) ; #183 ( DT - Johnny Jolly) and finally #185 ( S - Tyrone Cullver) or a draft value overall of about 560 pts. They did OK , once committed.

Tell me that didn't put a spin on the war rooms personnel's heads , engineering that feat, LOL .

Personally I feel it may have been more prudent to simply use the #37 and hold on of course, to the #139 pick and save all the jockeying for those three extra picks that were essentially the #148, #183 and #185 picks.

In fact - I would have chosen to retain both picks at #36 and #37. Quality at need over quantity and there were some excellent picks available in those slots.

What we experienced again is simply TT's style to trade down for extra picks. Again - I would have used both picks at #36 and #37 as loads of talent at need was there . . . for. . . OUR team . . . not New England or Atlanta !

I kind of like all trading down. I'm of the belief that after the top 10 picks it's really a crapshoot, so more picks give you a better chance. I don't know the exact percentages, but #36/#37 might have 35% success rate whiles picks #80 might have a 15% rate. However, five at 15% give you a better chance than two at 30%. I think the results have been better for GMs that like to acquire picks (Wolf, Thompson) over those that target guys and end up with a handful of picks (Sherman).

woodbuck27
06-03-2006, 09:54 PM

I kind of like all trading down. I'm of the belief that after the top 10 picks it's really a crapshoot, so more picks give you a better chance. I don't know the exact percentages, but #36/#37 might have 35% success rate whiles picks #80 might have a 15% rate. However, five at 15% give you a better chance than two at 30%. I think the results have been better for GMs that like to acquire picks (Wolf, Thompson) over those that target guys and end up with a handful of picks (Sherman).

Yea Harvey it's really all pretty much calculated risk after you get out of the first round and 'the more to feast on' may indeed rule.

By now you should know I'm impatient with 4-12's and I believe to win you need playmakers or near/future Pro Bowlers. I believe you have a better opportunity of landing that sort of talent at pick numbers 36 or 37 than at pick #115,#148,#183 and #185.

woodbuck27
06-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I just went on the Bronco's official site. They have a forum there as well and was reading comments on Walker. They are very excited about getting him, but skeptical of the deal he was given. Apparently he is about to sign a 6 year deal with a $10 million signing bonus. I don't know any other details than that.

We'll see how he does without having a 3time MVP throwing to him...

This response is late but for what it may be worth:

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Javon Walker signs contract extension

In his press conference Wednesday, former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker discussed his relationship with Brett Favre and the Packers organization, shortly after announcing that he had come to terms with his new team, the Denver Broncos, on a 4 year extension worth approximately 17 million.

When asked to comment on his relationship with former teammate Brett Favre, Javon replied "The first year, it just kind of settled in. Knowing that I wasn't going to say anything, and I probably wouldn't have, but then after being injured, I took a lot of things into consideration. I'm the one that's rehabbing, I'm the one that's going through what I'm going through trying to be able to play football again. If I was going to do that, why not play football being happy? Why go back out there and take all those hits again and really not want to take those hits."

His distaste for Favre is not surprising. In a lengthy contract holdout prior to the 2005 NFL season, the always media shy Brett Favre decided to call Javon out, in hopes of getting him to return to camp, rather than wait to "get paid." During the Green Bay Packers first regular season game of the 2005 season, Javon Walker was injured (pictured above), putting both his football career and his bank account in serious jeopardy. After an extensive rehabilitation over the past year, Javon was traded to the Denver Broncos during the 2006 NFL draft.

HarveyWallbangers
06-03-2006, 11:01 PM
By now you should know I'm impatient with 4-12's and I believe to win you need playmakers or near/future Pro Bowlers. I believe you have a better opportunity of landing that sort of talent at pick numbers 36 or 37 than at pick #115,#148,#183 and #185.

But they got more than that for picks 36 and 37, right? Thompson turned #36 & #37 into something like #47, #52, #75, #115, #148, #183, and #185.

Fosco33
06-03-2006, 11:31 PM

But they got more than that for picks 36 and 37, right? Thompson turned #36 & #37 into something like #47, #52, #75, #115, #148, #183, and #185.

Not that I want to see Chad Jackson fail - but I feel with either 36 or 37 he's a great pickup - especially with our WR core. It felt like passing on Evans or Chambers. We did need more picks to fill wholes but CJ would've looked great in G&G.

Bretsky
06-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Chad Jackson and Jimmy Williams; two players many teams had First Round Grades on. I hope neither excels too well. When GB traded out of each spot my gut told me they were the two guys left that would be steals at 36 and 37. Truth be told, I'd have taken them both.

HarveyWallbangers
06-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Truth be told, Jimmy Williams has severe character issues, and I'm not one bit unhappy we passed on him. Even if he works out for another team, he might not have worked out in Green Bay.

Chad Jackson vs. Greg Jennings will be interesting. Maybe both guys will be successful.

BTW, you Badger fans always feel the same way when the Packers pass on a Badger receiver (any Badger, for that matter). I bet you felt the same way with Brandon Williams and Jonathan Orr. Chambers just happened to be the recent one that made it. The rest haven't done all that much, have they? You're bound to hit on a couple of them.

Partial
06-04-2006, 12:59 AM
I think Jennings is gonna surprise. Granted I know absolutely nothing about that at all, but the homer inside of me is thinking he's gonna be a good player!

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Not that I want to see Chad Jackson fail - but I feel with either 36 or 37 he's a great pickup - especially with our WR core. It felt like passing on Evans or Chambers. We did need more picks to fill wholes but CJ would've looked great in G&G.

I think a lot people shared this thought on draft day. I'm glad we got all those picks, but if Jackson is a stud, then trading down was not worth it.

Odds are it will work out ok, Jennings looks good.

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2006, 01:14 AM
BTW, you Badger fans always feel the same way when the Packers pass on a Badger receiver (any Badger, for that matter). I bet you felt the same way with Brandon Williams and Jonathan Orr.

I'm not that high on either BRandon Williams or Jonathan Orr as pros. B.W. will certainly find some sort of job, but I don't feel confident about him the way I did about Lee Evans, Chambers, or Calhoun. And J.O. is a stiffy.

RashanGary
06-04-2006, 01:27 AM
I think Jennings is going to be a player too.

In 2 days of OTA's in which I watched him quite extensively, I didn't see him drop one pass or punt. He also has good timed speed, has a good vertical jump, is just big enough to be in the range of effective NFL WR's and according to those that know is the most polished route runner in this draft class....

I think he'll be a very good Packer.

Bretsky
06-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Truth be told, Jimmy Williams has severe character issues, and I'm not one bit unhappy we passed on him. Even if he works out for another team, he might not have worked out in Green Bay.

Chad Jackson vs. Greg Jennings will be interesting. Maybe both guys will be successful.

BTW, you Badger fans always feel the same way when the Packers pass on a Badger receiver (any Badger, for that matter). I bet you felt the same way with Brandon Williams and Jonathan Orr. Chambers just happened to be the recent one that made it. The rest haven't done all that much, have they? You're bound to hit on a couple of them.

AL TOON

CHRIS CHAMBERS

LEE EVANS

All look fine to me in the NFL.

And I'd bet you are wrong.

As for Brandon Williams and Jonathon Orr, you can look back at every one of my posts after the draft and you didn't see me whining about Green Bay passing up on either of them. Sure I thought Williams would help Green Bay and wanted him............and IF Brandon Williams had been there in round 4 and they selected Rodgers over him, yes that would have been stupid. Orr is nothing but a project and there are plenty of them.

Badger Hater :wink:

Cheers,
Bretsky

Fosco33
06-04-2006, 12:53 PM

AL TOON

CHRIS CHAMBERS

LEE EVANS

As for Brandon Williams and Jonathon Orr, you can look back at every one of my posts after the draft and you didn't see me whining about Green Bay passing up on either of them. Sure I thought Williams would help Green Bay and wanted him............and IF Brandon Williams had been there in round 4 and they selected Rodgers over him, yes that would have been stupid. Orr is nothing but a project and there are plenty of them.

Cheers,
Bretsky

Gonzo, "You took too much, much too much..." Raul Duke, "Eeeehhhhhhh."

I'm with you, Bretsky. I think Calhoun - on the right team and used correctly - will be better than expected. I think Williams will be a better pro than Orr. I would've loved to grab Jackson.

Harv - the only reason I like some of those guys is b/c they have decent potential - Badgers or not. You think Driver, Jackson, Gardner, Williams is worse set than Driver, Jennings, Fergie and Gardner. I love Badger coolaid.

HarveyWallbangers
06-04-2006, 07:11 PM
AL TOON

CHRIS CHAMBERS

LEE EVANS

Cheers,
Bretsky

Okay, now tell me about the Badgers that you wanted the Packers to take, but that didn't work out. Ron Dayne? Sucks. Michael Bennett? Huge disappointment. Nick Greisen? Below average starter. Erasmus James? Disappointing rookie year. What about some of those corners they have had? What about Don Davey and Bill Ferrario? I want to hear about these Badgers.
:D

Bretsky
06-04-2006, 09:16 PM
AL TOON

CHRIS CHAMBERS

LEE EVANS

Cheers,
Bretsky

Okay, now tell me about the Badgers that you wanted the Packers to take, but that didn't work out. Ron Dayne? Sucks. Michael Bennett? Huge disappointment. Nick Greisen? Below average starter. Erasmus James? Disappointing rookie year. What about some of those corners they have had? What about Don Davey and Bill Ferrario? I want to hear about these Badgers.
:D

I never thought the Packers should draft Ron Dayne....bad fit

I did like Michael Bennett so you can throw a dart at me for him

Griesen is what he is; a 4th round draft pick and it's too early to call him below average unless you are a Badger hater.

Bill Ferrario.....to that I say Mark Tauscher, Paul Gruber, and Dan Buenning
Basically you are nitpicking Badgers at the wrong position

Erasmus James- Came on more late last year. Only a Badger hater would bash him but I'm sure you'll keep up the good fight :wink:

Badger CB's ? Jamar Fletcher and Troy Vincent

IF YOU WANT A LISTING OF BADGERS I FELT GREEN BAY SCREWED UP BY NOT TAKING BY PASSING THEM UP TO SELECT OTHERS, HERE THEY ARE:

1. Al Toon......................selected Ken Ruettgers
2. Troy Vincent...............selected Terrell Buckley
3. Chris Chambers..........selected the Fraud
4. A Hawthorne .............everybody passed on him cuz he's a stoner
5. Jim Leonard..............selcted Kurt Campbell

Now I've wished Green Bay would take many Badgers before the draft, but Badger fans carry the unique composure and intelligence to realize you still cannot reach and select a Badger much higher than they should go...........such as......Calhoun high in round two. We still have the ability to realize you must grade them fairly, as opposed to GB past who undervalued most of their top players.

Cheers,
B

SD GB fan
06-04-2006, 10:34 PM
i like jennings over jackson. no doubts nor regrets.