PDA

View Full Version : Packer Fullback projects compete for time

woodbuck27
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070602/PKR01/706020599/1989

Posted June 2, 2007

Fullback projects compete for time

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

If Justin Griffith and Terrelle Smith hadn't spurned the Green Bay Packers' overtures in free agency, Ryan Powdrell wouldn't have been sitting at his locker Thursday afternoon, speaking about competing for a starting job.

Brandon Miree started three games last season and was the only fullback left on the roster after the team cut veteran William Henderson in March. Griffith and Smith visited Green Bay but signed elsewhere, so the Packers filled the roster by drafting Korey Hall and signing undrafted rookies Powdrell and Corey White.

Eighteen months ago, none of those three played fullback.

That the Packers settled for projects to compete with Miree may indicate just how much more tight ends will shift into the backfield this season, the offense's second running a zone-blocking scheme.

The fullback job exists, though, and Miree isn't necessarily guaranteed the role. In Thursday's OTA practice, Miree got the first snap in which the offense used a fullback, while Powdrell opened the second team period with the starters.

"You have to be able to run and make cuts and adjust on the run once the ball is snapped," Powdrell said of the Packers' blocking scheme, calling it "nearly identical" to the one in which he played after moving from linebacker to fullback as a senior at Southern California.

"Instead of just running straight downhill and blocking somebody, you've got to be able to read it as you go, (then) get back underneath."

Henderson was too big and slow to fit in the scheme then-offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski installed last season. Miree, who began the season on the practice squad, probably would have finished as the starter if not for a midseason elbow injury.

At 5-foot-11 and a bulked-up 243 pounds, Miree has the right combination of size and quickness to fit in a zone scheme he also studied for two seasons — one on injured reserve, one on the practice squad — with the Denver Broncos. But he's had trouble staying healthy and has played in only 10 NFL games, last year.

The Packers thought enough of Hall, a linebacker at Boise State, to draft him in the sixth round. Like Powdrell, he will try to lean on his defensive background to identify opposing fronts and solidify protection.

White is listed as a fullback but has practiced mostly at halfback, the position he played in a shotgun offense at Alabama-Birmingham. If anything, he's more likely to be a combo back who can fill in as a blocker in a pinch.

"Everything moves so fast, and you've got to be crisp to get up in that hole and make that block," White said. "Your decision is important for the running back so he can make his move."

That's especially true now that the Packers' halfback for the past seven seasons, Ahman Green, is a Houston Texan. Of the nine fullbacks and tight ends on the roster, four or five capable blockers must emerge to give Vernand Morency and Brandon Jackson room to work.

Coach Mike McCarthy this week confirmed Miree is the favorite but stopped short of calling him a starter.

"We have some real young, willing players that also have special-teams ability," McCarthy said, "so that will be a fun battle to watch."

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
On-the-job training

The three rookies competing with Brandon Miree for action at fullback have little experience at the position.

Korey Hall
6-0, 236 Boise State

Four-year starter at linebacker hasn't played offense since high school.

Ryan Powdrell
5-11, 254 Southern Cal

Switched to fullback before 2006 spring practice after two seasons as a backup linebacker.

Corey White
6-1, 239 Alabama-Birmingham

Coaches rarely asked the school's No. 4 all-time rusher to play fullback.

wist43
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Fills you with confidence, doesn't it???

woodbuck27
06-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Soon the charade will end.

the_idle_threat
06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
They're fullbacks, not quarterbacks. We'll be fine.

Joemailman
06-04-2007, 05:00 PM

Confidence is overrated. I love the intrigue. :mrgreen: :cow:

retailguy
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Hopefully they can block. Max Protect will be in full force again this year....

If they can't block? Well... And that's about all I got to say about that. :x

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Soon the charade will end.

Many are giving the Snapper another free pass; it's going to be a while

Merlin
06-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Yet another GREAT reason to let William Henderson go because he was making the vet minimum. Nice job TT...

Fritz
06-05-2007, 08:35 AM
It's weird...of all the positions in professional football, including special teams gunner, the fullback position has become the least important in the past twenty years. Even here in Detroit They've got several no-names, one of which, Sean McHugh, was on the Packers' practice squad a few years ago. The papers are saying the Lions don't even have a true fullback spot; it's more of an H-back.

So it's not just Ted who is using converted third string linebackers to come in and try out for fullback, or whatever passes for that position these days.

I'm wondering when teams will drift back to using fullbacks to block AND carry the ball. It would be a new wrinkle.

Tarlam!
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Yet another GREAT reason to let William Henderson go because he was making the vet minimum. Nice job TT...

No way was Hendo gonna make the final 53. TT cut him loose to theoretically hire on with some other outfit, rather than have him waste his time in GB.

It was the honorable thing to do.

Spaulding
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Fritz, you hit it on the head in my opinion. With the swing to "two" back offenses as evidenced by NE, Indy, Chicago, etc. why not have a talented halfback and a legit fullback instead? If you're distributing the ball between the two then you're saving the wear and tear on your halfback and yet constantly have a proven blocker on the field for busting up the MLB or adding to the pass protection.

Copy cat league is like the flow of the ocean with regard to schemes.

I'd rather have one stud halfback and then a low cost gamer of a fullback than two high priced halfbacks who are discontented that the other is stealing carries from them.

Merlin
06-05-2007, 10:27 AM

No way was Hendo gonna make the final 53. TT cut him loose to theoretically hire on with some other outfit, rather than have him waste his time in GB.

It was the honorable thing to do.

I respectfully disagree. Cutting a player because he isn't yours and then attributing it to that is cowardly. When you only have one true fullback in camp and the rest are cast offs, rookies and never wases, you can't even argue rationally that Henderson would not only beat them out but make the final roster.

Tarlam!
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Merlin, it is my true belief that Hendo was very fortunate to make last year's roster

He was replaced as the starter by a younger, more suitable player at his position.

I have also read accounts (sorry, I have no so) that say Hendo did not fit the new scheme.

The guy was also quite worn, from an age point of view. I do think he was a great locker room guy and maybe, he should have been given a job.

But why you woulkd want to take valuable training reps away from guys that actually have a chance of making the team is beyond me.

The Leaper
06-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Henderson retained the starting position merely as a matter of respect from the coaching staff. Miree saw significantly more snaps early in the year when both were healthy, even though Henderson technically started the game at FB.

Henderson no longer possessed the speed to block effectively in the new zone blocking scheme, and that lack of speed also negatively impacted his last remaining strength as a pass receiver as well.

Even at the vet minimum, he remained relatively costly due to his length of service in the league.

It was time to let Henderson go. He provides ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER going forward. Even if he would be slightly better than some of the young kids, there is no point leaving him on the roster to stunt their development at this point.

Freak Out
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Ryan Powdrell
5-11, 254 Southern Cal

Can this guy move?

the_idle_threat
06-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Ryan Powdrell
5-11, 254 Southern Cal

Can this guy move?

I hope so, since that's what he'll be doing for a living about 3 months from now. :P

http://www.franchisedirect.com/wwwgraphics/profile_pics/twomen_truck/twomen_truck1.jpg

Merlin
06-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Evidently you guys didn't watch Henderson play at all last year. Can you show me where he didn't block, lacked speed and was basically there out of courtesy? When you find those clips (there aren't any but try anyway), let me know. He may not be what he once was but he laid the wood on his blocks and his speed was never in question. I don't buy your negativity for one second. Henderson is a good fullback. No, he isn't young but he brings talent to the team. Taking away "reps" from a never was, player who never played fullback or a rookie isn't the point. The point is we HAD a viable fullback, one that contributed every time he hit the field.

It's convenient that everyone forgets that for years they brought in people to beat him out to start. No one ever did. Miree may be a better fit for the ZBS, I will give you that. But he is not a better fullback then Henderson, not yet anyway. I didn't see Miree do anything special last season, maybe a good hit here and there and he is still on the team. This whole "youth" movement is a joke and will never produce a Super Bowl, guaranteed. Name one team without veteran leadership that went to the Super Bowl?

the_idle_threat
06-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Evidently the coaching staff didn't watch Henderson practice or play at all last year either. :lol:

Rastak
06-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Evidently the coaching staff didn't watch Henderson practice or play at all last year either. :lol:

Ahh, but in the history of football have coaching staffs ever made mistakes?
You imply they don't!

I guess Henderson's age does, however, lend weight to your implied argument.

the_idle_threat
06-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm not saying, nor meaning to imply, that coaching staffs never make mistakes. I'm just saying they have a hell of a lot more material to go on then any fan does.

Who is more likely to be wrong ... the coaching staff, or a fan who can only watch the games (no practices) and doesn't want to let go of a fan favorite player? :wink:

Rastak
06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm not saying, nor meaning to imply, that coaching staffs never make mistakes. I'm just saying they have a hell of a lot more material to go on then any fan does.

Who is more likely to be wrong ... the coaching staff, or a fan who can only watch the games (no practices) and doesn't want to let go of a fan favorite player? :wink:

Hmmm, coaching staff? :wink:

RashanGary
06-06-2007, 07:32 PM
hendo sucked last year. He made Lead Boots Herron look like Barry Sanders.

the_idle_threat
06-06-2007, 07:42 PM

Methinks you are engaging in some wishful thinking ...

Sorry*, you have Childress---we don't. :P

* Not really. :P :P :P

Green Bud Packer
06-06-2007, 08:06 PM

Ha I'm still chuckling. Good one Idle T.

Rastak
06-06-2007, 08:47 PM

Idle 1 Rastak 0

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Miree played a majority of the snaps early in the year when he was healthy, and there was a dropoff in Henderson's play when he did play. He was 35-years-old with depreciating play and he was a bad fit for the scheme. I think even Henderson knew this. Ideal fits in the ZBS at FB are guys like Justin Griffith and Mike Anderson.

Packnut
06-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Evidently you guys didn't watch Henderson play at all last year. Can you show me where he didn't block, lacked speed and was basically there out of courtesy? When you find those clips (there aren't any but try anyway), let me know. He may not be what he once was but he laid the wood on his blocks and his speed was never in question. I don't buy your negativity for one second. Henderson is a good fullback. No, he isn't young but he brings talent to the team. Taking away "reps" from a never was, player who never played fullback or a rookie isn't the point. The point is we HAD a viable fullback, one that contributed every time he hit the field.

It's convenient that everyone forgets that for years they brought in people to beat him out to start. No one ever did. Miree may be a better fit for the ZBS, I will give you that. But he is not a better fullback then Henderson, not yet anyway. I didn't see Miree do anything special last season, maybe a good hit here and there and he is still on the team. This whole "youth" movement is a joke and will never produce a Super Bowl, guaranteed. Name one team without veteran leadership that went to the Super Bowl?

The reason you did'nt see Miree do anything special is because he did'nt-that is unless you consider getting knocked backwards special. I also seem to remember him dropping a pass. He's nothing more than a project, but hey he's CHEAP which fits Teddy's criteria.

Merlin
06-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Henderson was written off by the coaching staff and TT before the season even started. The only time they approached him is after he had a visit with the Vikings. So as far as what the coaches saw, I don't think they were even looking at Henderson as someone who would make the roster, but he did.

Face it, they ruled him out as an option from day one and yet he performed anyway. He got a minor injury that they used to keep him out then all of a sudden Miree get's sick on the road and they call him and ask him to fill in. So much for the coaches "knowing" everything.

Charles Woodson
06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
It's weird...of all the positions in professional football, including special teams gunner, the fullback position has become the least important in the past twenty years. Even here in Detroit They've got several no-names, one of which, Sean McHugh, was on the Packers' practice squad a few years ago. The papers are saying the Lions don't even have a true fullback spot; it's more of an H-back.

So it's not just Ted who is using converted third string linebackers to come in and try out for fullback, or whatever passes for that position these days.

I'm wondering when teams will drift back to using fullbacks to block AND carry the ball. It would be a new wrinkle.

If we are coping the lions, then thats pretty sad. Idk we'll see if it works out then good, but if not then just remember we could have had justin griffith

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
If we are coping the lions, then thats pretty sad. Idk we'll see if it works out then good, but if not then just remember we could have had justin griffin

We could have had Justin Griffith too.
:D

Charles Woodson
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
dp

Charles Woodson
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
If we are coping the lions, then thats pretty sad. Idk we'll see if it works out then good, but if not then just remember we could have had justin griffin

We could have had Justin Griffith too.
:D
:mrgreen: :whist:

BooHoo
06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Ryan Powdrell
5-11, 254 Southern Cal

Can this guy move?

I hope so, since that's what he'll be doing for a living about 3 months from now. :P

http://www.franchisedirect.com/wwwgraphics/profile_pics/twomen_truck/twomen_truck1.jpg

This is good. Maybe he can hire Fergy to help load trucks.