PDA

View Full Version : The Clown(ey) has signed

POLISHHAWK
06-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Super Bowl Bound with this speedster. Steve Smith-like? Maybe so.

retailguy
06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes, he starts at 7am tomorrow with Barnum and Bailey.... :P

One down. Several to go.

Charles Woodson
06-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Packers Sign Draft Pick Clowney

posted 06/04/2007

The Green Bay Packers Monday signed wide receiver David Clowney, the team's first of 11 draft selections to sign with the club. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signing.

Clowney, a 6-foot, 188-pound player from Virginia Tech, was selected in the fifth round (157th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft. He was one of two Hokies drafted by Green Bay in April, joining safety Aaron Rouse, a third-round pick.

Also excelling as a track athlete in college, Clowney caught a team-high 34 passes in both his junior and senior seasons. He average 18.2 yards per reception his junior year. As a senior, Clowney underwent an emergency appendectomy, but managed to return to game action just nine days after his surgery.

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Packers Sign Draft Pick Clowney

posted 06/04/2007

The Green Bay Packers Monday signed wide receiver David Clowney, the team's first of 11 draft selections to sign with the club. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signing.

Clowney, a 6-foot, 188-pound player from Virginia Tech, was selected in the fifth round (157th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft. He was one of two Hokies drafted by Green Bay in April, joining safety Aaron Rouse, a third-round pick.

Also excelling as a track athlete in college, Clowney caught a team-high 34 passes in both his junior and senior seasons. He average 18.2 yards per reception his junior year. As a senior, Clowney underwent an emergency appendectomy, but managed to return to game action just nine days after his surgery.

When I first read about him the descriptions reminded me of Corey Bradford.

Brando19
06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
One of two local VA tech boys that are going to be on the roster. Clowney should be a great addition, but I'm looking even more forward to the freak Rouse signing. That guy's a beast.

MadtownPacker
06-04-2007, 08:40 PM
So how much cashola did he get?

MJZiggy
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Usually takes a day or two to find that out, but they're guessing it's a 4-year deal with a signing bonus of around 150K. We'll see how close they are.

pbmax
06-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I can't stand June. No news, no media at OTAs. Why do coaches always decide that the universal thing wrong with each team is an overabundance of access?

The JSOnline front for Packer Plus doesn't change from day to day.

Ugh. I'm dying here. Somebody start a fight so we have something to talk about.

Ted Thompson, Best General Manager Never to Win a Super Bowl. Go ahead, try to knock that one down.

MJZiggy
06-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Sorry, can't fight with you on that one. TT's a genius. Rodgers is the answer when Favre's gone, Driver and Jennings will be unstoppable next year, and you're right. Moss is an asshat (if for none of the reasons you listed above, simply because he dissed my Packers).

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I can't stand June. No news, no media at OTAs. Why do coaches always decide that the universal thing wrong with each team is an overabundance of access?

The JSOnline front for Packer Plus doesn't change from day to day.

Ugh. I'm dying here. Somebody start a fight so we have something to talk about.

Ted Thompson, Best General Manager Never to Win a Super Bowl. Go ahead, try to knock that one down.

BLIND FAITHIST

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry, can't fight with you on that one. TT's a genius. Rodgers is the answer when he's gone, Driver and Jennings will be unstoppable next year, and you're right. Moss is an asshat (if for none of the reasons you listed above, simply because he dissed my Packers).

That ugly ass avatar destroys any credibiity you might have had

So YES, keep supporting your turtle idol

MJZiggy
06-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I know you secretly love fifi...

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I know you secretly love fifi...

only a turtle would love fifi, and that's just because it moves so dam slow it can't get away

Ironically, fifi idolizes the turtle as well

MJZiggy
06-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't know, B. She was moving pretty good when she got to the mud pit...and I don't think she really cares about reptiles one way or the other.

I get the feeling this isn't the kind of forum fight PBMax had in mind. :whist:

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 09:58 PM
I don't know, B. She was moving pretty good when she got to the mud pit...and I don't think she really cares about reptiles one way or the other.

He asked for a fight and then ran away.

Kind of like Ted Thompson when NE moved in for Moss and actually closed a deal :lol:

GrnBay007
06-04-2007, 10:10 PM

Kind of like Ted Thompson when NE moved in for Moss and actually closed a deal :lol:

come back PBMax.......anything is better than this argument!!!! :shock:

pbmax
06-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Sorry, I was at You Tube with the new Bill Simmons column/blog. Great link to a Pele video highlight film. Looks horrible written in text but great to watch, he makes me think Barry Sanders would have been a phenomonal futbol player.

Clearly the fastest guy on the field and tremendous control of the ball. You know how most complain about the phantom fouls and going down like they've been shot in futbol? Not with this guy, they really were tackling him, running into him, pulling his shorts down holding onto his shirt, and tripping. Great stuff.

There should be a channel on able of NFL Films highlight reels and stories of past soccer players. Might hook a generation like the old NFL films stuff did for football. A singular point of reference.

Anyway back to Thompson, Greatest General Manager To Never Win A Super Bowl(tm), clearly he is the Larry Brown of the NFL. Resurrects teams from nothingness, builds them in a manner incomprehensible to most observers and fans, yet gets results. Knows talent, and knows what will fit the system he is running, unless your name is Mike Sherman.

Let's just hope he sticks around longer than Larry does :D

Joemailman
06-04-2007, 10:34 PM
All you TT Bashers=Idiots...Oh wait, I think someone tried that one.

Bretsky
06-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Sorry, I was at You Tube with the new Bill Simmons column/blog. Great link to a Pele video highlight film. Looks horrible written in text but great to watch, he makes me think Barry Sanders would have been a phenomonal futbol player.

Clearly the fastest guy on the field and tremendous control of the ball. You know how most complain about the phantom fouls and going down like they've been shot in futbol? Not with this guy, they really were tackling him, running into him, pulling his shorts down holding onto his shirt, and tripping. Great stuff.

There should be a channel on able of NFL Films highlight reels and stories of past soccer players. Might hook a generation like the old NFL films stuff did for football. A singular point of reference.

Anyway back to Thompson, Greatest General Manager To Never Win A Super Bowl(tm), clearly he is the Larry Brown of the NFL. Resurrects teams from nothingness, builds them in a manner incomprehensible to most observers and fans, yet gets results. Knows talent, and knows what will fit the system he is running, unless your name is Mike Sherman.

Billy Donavan put in more quality time as the coach of the Magic :lol: :lol: :lol:

pbmax
06-04-2007, 10:38 PM
One word for you, "tampering".

Thompson knew Moss was just funneling offers to drive up the price for his preferred destination, New England. No matter the offer, New England wanted to match. Oakland was hoping this would leverage a better pick.

The fact that Moss went for such a low price on a one year rental proves how toxic that guy is. Guys on their third team, unless you are a kicker, have a problem. See quotes below.

BTW, if Mad ever sets a 500 character limit on the signature, there are more quotes where those came from :lol:

pbmax
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
At least Billy is saying it was his fault. Larry always engineered some kind of drama. Like the Colts leaving Baltimore under cover of darkness, repeatedly.

Billy Donavan put in more quality time as the coach of the Magic :lol: :lol: :lol:

wist43
06-05-2007, 07:25 AM
I was shocked when I saw Clowney on the practice field... he's listed at 6'1" in the draft guides, but he's closer to 5'1".

Small guys can survive in the NFL, but generally they need to have a thick build, ala Barry Sanders.

Someone mentioned Steve Smith, and while he's only about 5'9", he's a thickly built player and very tough.

Clowney is small and thinly built... unless he bulks up, he's more than likely just going to be a complimentary type player, i.e. he may never be able to make it up to being a #2.

Joemailman
06-05-2007, 07:59 AM
No question Clowney has to bulk up. His lack of bulk is probably the main reason he was available in the 5th round. Actually, I think the Packers probably drafted him as a complementary player (Deep threat, possible kick returner). If he ever becomes a starter, that would be a huge bonus.

Fritz
06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
M thinking is that Clowney is a long-term project. Give him two seasons to learn and to grow, and in his third season he will bust out as a deep threat.

Not sure how Bretsky sees Corey Bradford in this guy. Bradford wasn't as skinny, had oven mitts for hands, and couldn't run routes very well. I have not heard anything about Clowney dropping the ball all over, nor about his route running. What was the similarity you've read/seen, Bretsky?

Tarlam!
06-05-2007, 08:33 AM
OK, he's small, or slight. He's a 5th rounder and prolly a project. I am glad we have a deal done.

Lookit. It has been good for 2 pages of forum space!

MadtownPacker
06-05-2007, 08:36 AM
OK, he's small, or slight. He's a 5th rounder and prolly a project. I am glad we have a deal done.

Lookit. It has been good for 2 pages of forum space!Yup, now sign some undrafted FA and we will have something to talk about for the rest of the week. :P

Bretsky
06-05-2007, 08:40 AM

Lookit. It has been good for 2 pages of forum space!Yup, now sign some undrafted FA and we will have something to talk about for the rest of the week. :P

We could actually sign a free agent but Ted is scouting for the 08 draft :lol:

Bretsky
06-05-2007, 08:42 AM
M thinking is that Clowney is a long-term project. Give him two seasons to learn and to grow, and in his third season he will bust out as a deep threat.

Not sure how Bretsky sees Corey Bradford in this guy. Bradford wasn't as skinny, had oven mitts for hands, and couldn't run routes very well. I have not heard anything about Clowney dropping the ball all over, nor about his route running. What was the similarity you've read/seen, Bretsky?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Bradford was pretty thin as a rookie. I guess I was just thinking about the blazing speed to go deep and stretch the field. I thought he came in thin and was too brittle to go over the middle hard, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

MJZiggy
06-05-2007, 08:43 AM

He's read this forum. I'm now convinced. He's just doing this so you have to keep that sig.

Bretsky
06-05-2007, 08:44 AM

He's read this forum. I'm now convinced. He's just doing this so you have to keep that sig.

Wonder if it'll be gone by 2010 ?

MJZiggy
06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
No. He's never gonna sign another free agent again. Just to torture you.

OS PA
06-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I was shocked when I saw Clowney on the practice field... he's listed at 6'1" in the draft guides, but he's closer to 5'1".

Small guys can survive in the NFL, but generally they need to have a thick build, ala Barry Sanders.

Someone mentioned Steve Smith, and while he's only about 5'9", he's a thickly built player and very tough.

Clowney is small and thinly built... unless he bulks up, he's more than likely just going to be a complimentary type player, i.e. he may never be able to make it up to being a #2.

Looking at our two new WR's there is a funny dichotomy!

First we have our monster of a midget - James "Earl" Jones
Look at those massive arms and compact frame, this kid is just a tough SoB
http://cmsimg.packersnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=U0&Dato=20070531&Kategori=PKRCAMP&Lopenr=705310806&Ref=PH&Item=4&MaxW=350

Next we have our speedy midget - David "Clown-arms" Clowny
Look at him cowering on the ground in fear of Patrick "The Beast" Dendy
http://cmsimg.packersnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=U0&Dato=20070531&Kategori=PKRCAMP&Lopenr=705310806&Ref=PH&Item=17&MaxW=350

////still trying to figure out how to post the pictures. =(

Maybe if we could find a way to combine them, we might have ourselves an all-pro WR!

pbmax
06-05-2007, 09:19 AM
wist, or someone, tell me your kidding. Was he seriously under 6' 1"?

pbmax
06-05-2007, 09:20 AM
NFL.com has him at 6 foot even and 184 lbs.

Can GBRulz sneak into the OTA with a yardstick and pencil and report back? Maybe take a scale too? And tape measure?

Tarlam!
06-05-2007, 09:23 AM
...Look at him cowering on the ground in fear of Patrick "The Beast" Dendy

Clearly he was avoiding contact with "The Beast" to avoid hitting him with his massive WR frame. Dendy's been broken before, and Clowny knows that!

Bretsky
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
No. He's never gonna sign another free agent again. Just to torture you.

:wait: :wait: :wait: :wait: :wait: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: