PDA

View Full Version : Upshaw and the NFLPA

Freak Out
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I caught Ditka during an interview on the Jim Rome show where he was slamming the NFL and NFLPA/Upshaw and how they were not doing the right thing when it came to helping out the old boys who need financial/medical help. He referenced this story and some comments Upshaw made.

Posted on Tue, Jun. 05, 2007
Upshaw threat taken seriously
CHARLES CHANDLER
Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe DeLamielleure said Monday he takes as a serious threat comments made about him last week by Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association.

In a story in Friday's editions of the Philadelphia Daily News, Upshaw defended his record for helping retired players and took aim at DeLamielleure, one of his harshest critics who has called for the NFLPA leader's ouster.

"A guy like DeLamielleure says the things he said about me; you think I'm going to invite him to dinner? No. I'm going to break his ...damn neck," Upshaw was quoted as saying by the Daily News.

Upshaw also said he told a group of Hall of Famers last year: "I'm not one to turn the other cheek. You're not going to hit me in the nose and I'm going to sit there and smile."

Upshaw declined to comment when questioned by the Observer in person Saturday at a retired players convention in Atlanta. He also did not respond to e-mailed questions Monday.

DeLamielleure, a Charlotte resident, said Upshaw's comments were unsettling to his family.

"At first, I was angry," he said. "All the competitiveness comes out in you and I thought, `I'd like to see him try.' But then reality sets in.

"My wife was petrified. We grew up in Detroit. You know what unions are. You hear about it. She goes, `Hey, this guy is a head of a union, a powerful union, and (when) he makes a threat like that, you'd better take it serious.'

"I'm not afraid of Upshaw, but he has the means to do what he said."

DeLamielleure has been a persistent critic of Upshaw and the NFLPA, saying they "stink" as advocates for retired players. He and fellow Hall of Famers Mike Ditka and Lem Barney held a pre-Super Bowl news conference in February to air concerns.

Hall of Fame linebacker Sam Huff, formerly of the Washington Redskins, said no one should take Upshaw's comment lightly.

"You can't say something like that," said Huff. "You're threatening a guy's life."

Former Cleveland Browns defensive back Bernie Parrish, a leader in the anti-NFLPA movement among retirees, said of Upshaw: "He's got a lot of money at stake. I don't trust him not to be violent. I have some concern for my friend Joe DeLamielleure."

Dr. Tom Terrill, an expert on labor unions and a University of South Carolina distinguished professor emeritus, said Upshaw's comments were grossly inappropriate.

"Upshaw has been in that position a long time (24 years)," said Terrill, who taught labor history and still serves as a labor arbitrator. "It sounds like he thinks he owns it. This is not a good attitude to have if you want to keep your position.

"Union leaders do this sometimes. They get in positions where they get elected and re-elected and (they think) no one can challenge them, that they can overcome any opposition. It's just not wise to do that."

If Upshaw, a Hall of Fame offensive lineman with the Oakland Raiders, were a current player or a team or a league employee, his comment might be considered a violation of the NFL's new conduct policy. One violation cited in the policy is "any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons."

However, as head of the players association, Upshaw is not subject to discipline under the policy.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, through league spokesman Greg Aiello, declined comment. Goodell is scheduled to speak in Charlotte today at a luncheon honoring Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson.

Former Baltimore Colts safety Bruce Laird, who heads the Baltimore chapter of the NFL Retired Players Association, said he was deeply concerned by what Upshaw said and that it sets a poor example for current players.

"What's amazing is with the way the National Football League has had its problems in 2006 and 2007 and the concern about steroids and active players being out of line with drugs or guns, (here's) the executive director of active players threatening another Hall of Famer," said Laird.

"I think as any player, whether you're active or retired, you really have to sit back and go `Do you want this man representing you and the league?' That is the real question."

KYPack
06-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Upshaw is a major asshole. But, a practical asshole. Only current players affect Upshaw and his job status, so that's who he caters to.

Both the NFLPA AND the NFL are missing a major promotional opportunity by ignoring the NFL Legends.

I used to hate Ditka, but now I really admire the guy.

HarveyWallbangers
06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
They are overreacting because they think that if Upshaw gets canned, they'll get more money.

Merlin
06-06-2007, 09:40 AM
There is something to be said for a union head to threaten someone. Although in this case, Upshaw is too high profile to get away with anything so it's much to do about nothing IMO.

Patler
06-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Whether or not the threat should be taken seriously, the comment was totally inappropriate, and should not be ignored by the Union itself. I would like to see the NFLPA Executive Committe, of which Troy Vincent is the President, issue an apology on behalf of the Union and announce some type of reprimand for Upshaw.

The Executive Committee has been strongly behind the crack down by the league against players' conduct, even though it was my impression from comments made that Upshaw personally was less supportive. This is an opportunity for the Executive Committee of the NFLPA to show they are serious about everyone involved with the league being held to a higher personal conduct standard than in the past, including their own employees, especially a high-profile one like Upshaw.

Freak Out
06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
The thing that bothers me the most is that fact that the NFLPA has over a billion dollars (I have not researched that amount just heard it mentioned by Ditka) in the strike fund but they refuse to even work with the NFL legends group to try and help some of these guys out. Both the NFL and the NFLPA owe it to the people/players who helped the NFL become the powerhouse that it is today. I wonder what Upshaw will get when he retires?

CaptainKickass
06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
And how exactly is it that Upshaw - or anyone else involved in the NFL or NFLPA is NOT subject to the "conduct" policy?

I'm thinking at the very least he should be made to apologize and be hit with a fine.

Someones done a real shizitty job regarding applying a conduct policy.

Bretsky
06-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Whether or not the threat should be taken seriously, the comment was totally inappropriate, and should not be ignored by the Union itself. I would like to see the NFLPA Executive Committe, of which Troy Vincent is the President, issue an apology on behalf of the Union and announce some type of reprimand for Upshaw.

The Executive Committee has been strongly behind the crack down by the league against players' conduct, even though it was my impression from comments made that Upshaw personally was less supportive. This is an opportunity for the Executive Committee of the NFLPA to show they are serious about everyone involved with the league being held to a higher personal conduct standard than in the past, including their own employees, especially a high-profile one like Upshaw.

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

FritzDontBlitz
06-06-2007, 06:36 PM
time for upshaw to be replaced. end of story.

HarveyWallbangers
06-08-2007, 09:04 AM
My point in this whole thing is it's easy to say the players should give more, but a lot of their income is taxed at a high percentage and their window for making his money is much smaller than other professions (with some having very short careers). Now, 1,000-1,500 players are supposed to fully support 15,000 old timers? The NFLPA didn't even need to do what it has done, so some appreciation for the money they do give should be shown. They've dramatically upped the payout for the old-timers in recent years. They got minimal support before the last 10-15 years. It's apparently not political correct to say but this issue is much more complicated than just saying the millionaires (which they aren't all millionaires, and the average lifespan is like 4 years) should support the old-timers. The remarks from the old-timers don't help (neither does Upshaw's response). I'd think it would only make the current players less willing to support their cause.

Backing Upshaw

Rob Davis, the Packers' representative to the NFL Players Association, backed embattled union chief Gene Upshaw.

Upshaw has been under fire from prominent former players such as Mike Ditka and Jerry Kramer for not doing enough to help older ex-players who are struggling financially and with medical problems. That was magnified this week, when Upshaw responded to repeated criticism from fellow Hall of Famer Joe DeLamielleure by saying, "you think I'm going to invite him to dinner? No, I'm going to break his (expletive) damn neck."

Upshaw's remarks have drawn criticism from national media and former Packers guard Marco Rivera, who was released by the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday.

Davis defended Upshaw by pointing to the progress the union has made under his watch, especially since 1993.

"I think he's done a pretty good job from where I can see, but obviously every player doesn't know every situation about what's going on," Davis said. "The PA is in the best position it's been in years. We have a nice war chest. He'll be up for election in a couple years, so we'll make a decision then whether Gene will be our president."

The issue of improving benefits for former players probably will gain steam. Congress will hold hearings on June 26 regarding the procedures players must go through to get disability benefits.

"You're trying to take care of the 1,500 or so current guys, and now you want us to go back and take care of (10,000, 12,000), 15,000 other guys," Davis said. "After a while, the pot gets a little small. It's just an ugly fight right now, and some prominent people have stepped up and said some pretty bad things about the current players and the union. We just have to keep mending and building and bridging that gap."