PDA

View Full Version : The Morency Mystery- Pete Prisco Aricle

Bretsky
06-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Morency hopes to follow in Green's footsteps to stardom
June 5, 2007
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The stories are out there, and Vernand Morency knows all of them, reciting name after name of NFL running backs who had success following a slow start to their careers.

He knows all about Priest Holmes leaving the Baltimore Ravens and going to the Kansas City Chiefs and becoming a star -- even if briefly.

Vernand Morency has a huge hole to run through with Ahman Green's departure. (Getty Images)
He's fully aware of how Larry Johnson sat on the bench behind Holmes, getting shopped around the league for the asking price of a ham sandwich with no takers, only to move into the lineup when Holmes was hurt and he subsequently became a Pro Bowl back.

On and on it goes.

Willie Parker? Morency mentions him, too. Even the guy he's trying to replace with the Green Bay Packers, Ahman Green, is a player who became a Pro Bowl back after a trade from Seattle. That is the same path Morency is trying to follow after being traded to the Packers from the Houston Texans last year.

"It's just about getting the chance to do your thing," Morency said. "I learned a lot from Ahman Green and what he went through. He came to Green Bay and he became a star. It happens. It's just a matter of getting the chance to be the guy."

Morency now has his chance.

But admit it. Of all the starters listed at running back around the league as we get closer to training camp, he might be the most questioned of them all. How the heck did he get the job?

Here's how: The Packers decided not to re-sign Green, who left for a big contract with the Houston Texans, Morency's old team. That left a huge hole at running back. Many personnel people around the league still wonder if it's filled. Morency, who came over during the 2006 season, is now listed first on the depth chart, taking handoffs from Brett Favre, atop a group of inexperienced runners.

"They have some castoffs and a second-round pick who they really don't know much about," said an NFC personnel director. "Now Green wasn't worth a big-money deal, but you would think with Brett Favre in his last year, they'd have a better situation than what they have now."

That second-round pick is Brandon Jackson from Nebraska. But he has a lot of catching up to do if he's to take the job from Morency.

"I really don't pay a lot of attention to what people are saying or what's in the newspapers," Morency said. "People questioning me is something that has been with me my whole life. In high school (in Miami), I had to follow my brother as the running back. Then in college at Oklahoma State, it was Tatum Bell. There's always been uncertainty about me replacing somebody. That doesn't affect me. I just go out and work harder."

His work days are as intense as any at this time of year. During the team's offseason work, he arrives at the facility at 6:30 a.m. and stays all day, trying to cash in on the opportunity presented to him.

A year ago at this time, he was in Houston playing for the Texans, hoping for a chance to be more than just a spot player, which he was as a rookie backing up Domanick Davis. Morency expected more carries in 2006, especially with the Texans passing on Reggie Bush in the draft, but they never came.

Instead, he was traded to Green Bay after the first week of the regular season for Samkon Gado, another young runner.

"Hey Mo," Texans coach Gary Kubiak yelled to him on the practice field that day. "You've been traded."

He had two hours to get to the plane for his trip to Green Bay, so he went in, showered up, grabbed some stuff and off he went, never stopping to go home and pack.

How's that NFL life, kid?

"I didn't want to miss the plane," Morency said. "That wouldn't have been a good way to start."

The trade meant learning a third new offense in two seasons in the league. It also meant playing behind Green, one of the NFC's top rushers, which likely meant more time on the bench.

"But at least I was somewhere where I was wanted," Morency said.

When Green went down with a hamstring injury, Morency was forced into a starting role. He responded with a 99-yard game against the Philadelphia Eagles, but followed that up with six-carry, 15-yard game in his only other start, against the St. Louis Rams.

For the season, Morency carried 96 times for 434 yards and a 4.5 average. Green's per-rush average was 4.0. Morency had four runs of 20 yards or more on his 96 carries, while Green had three in 266 carries.

When Green left, Morency slid into the top spot on the Packers' depth chart. To prepare himself for the opportunity, he has consulted with Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas, two Hall of Famers who played at Oklahoma State. He has also spent a lot of time with Packers running backs coach Edgar Bennett, himself a former NFL runner with Green Bay.

"Every day you're learning," Morency said. "When I came over here, I thought I knew a lot about the position. But spending all the extra time with Edgar has helped me with the technical stuff. It's helped make me a better running back."

Instead of his head spinning, he can now focus on spinning away from defenders. He's excited about showing those who say he's too small to handle a 25-carry load that he can indeed do it. At 5-feet-10 and 212 pounds, Morency said it won't be a problem.

"You can't stop the critics," Morency said. "You just have to do what you can to make them wrong. You can't get complacent. It's all about putting in the time."

It helps that he doesn't read the sports pages. Instead, this is a man focused on business. He reads business publications and the Wall Street Journal. He has studied real-estate development at The Wharton Schools of Business at the University of Pennsylvania in two workshops.

If he's the next Holmes or Johnson or Green, he will be able to put that business acumen to use when he gets a new deal. So is Vernand Morency the next Priest Holmes or Ahman Green, or is he just keeping the spot warm for somebody else?

Time will tell, but if hard work and drive have something to do with it, we just might be seeing history repeat itself again.

Packnut
06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
At least he's working his ass off. That's half the battle. Who knows, he may surprise us.

Bretsky
06-06-2007, 10:04 PM
At least he's working his ass off. That's half the battle. Who knows, he may surprise us.

That's what I'm hoping for

RashanGary
06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Not to hijack your relevant thread Bretsky, but this off season is sooo frickin slow. I'm just lookign forward to OTA news tomorrow.

As far as Morency goes, I thought he played very well last year and if Green hooked him up with his HGH dealer, we could be in for a very pleasant suprise this year.

Bretsky
06-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Completely agree; news is too dam slow.

My bet is the Snapper will wait til August and pick up a few dirt cheap free agents like Ben Taylor last year.

Besides that there will be little news but chearleading attempts for certain players at training camp.

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Can I use my almost English Minor to point out that you spelled Morency's name wrong?
:D

MJZiggy
06-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Isn't that what this time of year is supposed to be about? Cheerleading for the new players? Someone better get out their pom poms soon, dammit.

Bretsky
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Isn't that what this time of year is supposed to be about? Cheerleading for the new players? Someone better get out their pom poms soon, dammit.

Mine are at the bottom of the cliff :lol:

Bretsky
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Can I use my almost English Minor to point out that you spelled Morency's name wrong?

Beat ya by two mintutes on the edit :lol:

MadtownPacker
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
As far as Morency goes, I thought he played very well last year and if Green hooked him up with his HGH dealer, we could be in for a very pleasant suprise this year.I hope so too!!

RB careers are short so he might as well max it out to the fullest.

The_Dude
06-07-2007, 01:20 AM
I think he'll do fine this year if not really good. I remember a lot of times last year when morency seemed to find the hole faster and hit it harder then green did.

CaliforniaCheez
06-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Moron, See.

I was not impressed last season. I spotted fundamental things that I learned in Junior High that he failed to do on a number of occaisions.

I also am concerned about his attitude. 10 days after he joined the Packers he told the press he "had the playbook down." His arrest history is troubling.

I do not believe he will be on the Packer roster on opening day 2008. He will have to progress a long way.

He just is not the natural runner with the vision to hit the right hole or cutback lane or set up block the way Jackson does.

Look for another RB selected on the first day next draft.

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Morency did well when given a chance. Two starts: 1 100+ yd game, 1 99 yd game. I don't think anybody can answer for sure whether he can be a full-time starter. Yes or no. He's not slight, so he should be able to take the pounding. I believe he was an every down back with Oklahoma State. The other question is will he need to be? Hopefully, Jackson does well, and there is a good platoon situation.

gureski
06-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm on the Morency Bandwagon and have been since the start of free agency. I'm high on this kid. He's right...he just needs a chance.

wist43
06-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Comparisons to Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Ahman Green, Willie Parker...??? Gimme a break... these puff pieces are nauseating. Those guys are all tough, physical runners - Morency runs like Tiny Tim thru the tulips.

Morency isn't a legit NFL starter... he's listed at 210 lbs, but runs more like 110. I'm hoping that Jackson steps up and supplants Morency... if he can't, then he was a wasted pick.

GB's RB situation is pretty pathetic... I expect either 600 passes from Favre, or 600 punts, or both.

Fred's Slacks
06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I spotted fundamental things that I learned in Junior High that he failed to do on a number of occaisions.

You could say that about 80% of the players in the league. Most of them don't carry the ball correctly, including Green. I loved Green as a running back because he ran hard but one thing I didn't get was why he always carried the ball in the same arm. I know some coaches actually coach the players to carry the ball in their "strong" arm but I think that's ridiculous. Then when they don't carry it with the nose up, they have fumbling issues and don't understand why. Tiki showed the entire league how you fix fumbling problems but no one else seems to care. Besides that, you'll see players take false steps all the time, guys who body catch or guys who throw off the wrong foot (Favre).

There are some good players in this league who by some standards are terrible fundamentaly. It all depends on who they learned from and who you learned from.

That said, I am not sure what to think about Morency this year, but I am glad he worked hard this offseason and I think he showed some flashes of big play ability last year. Whether that can carry over into being a solid starter we'll have to wait to see. I really liked Brandon Jackson coming into the draft so I was very excited when we picked him. Hopefully between the two we will be okay.

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2007, 09:37 AM
That said, I am not sure what to think about Morency this year, but I am glad he worked hard this offseason and I think he showed some flashes of big play ability last year. Weather that can carry over into being a solid starter we'll have to wait to see. I really liked Brandon Jackson coming into the draft so I was very excited when we picked him. Hopefully between the two we will be okay.

I'm right there with you.

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Put it this way, I wouldn't be surprised if Morency rushed for 1,000 yards, nor would I be surprised if he rushed for only 400.

I think, if he sorts everything out, or at least most of it out, in training camp, he can be an impact player on offense.

However, I also really do like Brandon Jackson.

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I expect either 600 passes from Favre, or 600 punts, or both.

At least that would mean our defense is doing the job. :wink:

CaliforniaCheez
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Let's hope the coaching staff can teach him
how to hold his hands when taking a handoff,
not to grab it from Brett but wait until Bett puts the ball in his gut,
and that his footwork improves.

Partial
06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I have my green and gold goggles on and have complete faith in our rb by comittee. I expect Jackson to be a good relief pitcher, and Morency to put up some big numbers this year.

Here's why:

1. It's his contract year
2. He is slippery and seems to have a knack for making the big run
3. He was never given a chance to be the man in texas, when he was given the opportunity here he responded with fairly big games.
4. I love the packers!

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Let's hope the coaching staff can teach him
how to hold his hands when taking a handoff, not to grab it from Brett but wait until Bett puts the ball in his gut, and that his footwork improves.

Morency has 2 fumbles and 1 lost fumble in 169 career touches. One on a handoff. Hard to see that as a big problem.

Fred's Slacks
06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I have my green and gold goggles on and have complete faith in our rb by comittee. I expect Jackson to be a good relief pitcher, and Morency to put up some big numbers this year.

Here's why:

1. It's his contract year
2. He is slippery and seems to have a knack for making the big run
3. He was never given a chance to be the man in texas, when he was given the opportunity here he responded with fairly big games.
4. I love the packers!

All good reasons!

The Leaper
06-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I like Morency's running style in this scheme. He hits the hole extremely hard once he makes a decision, and that is exactly what you are supposed to do. For me, the kid has the talent and heart to put up very good numbers...the only question is durability.

Wist...why the NEED for a physical runner? If a guy can run for 1400 yards like he's going through the tulips, who the hell cares? Sure, I admit we need to have a physical presence from someone who can pick up the tough yard when we need it. However, I would actually PREFER my 1st/2nd down back to be more of a gamebreaker anyway, especially with our lack of a game breaking WR to open up the field.

To be brutally honest...the difference between Holmes, Johnson, Green, Parker and Morency isn't their running style. It is the FACT that when these other guys were in their prime they were behind a GREAT line. Just about any back in the NFL can look like a physical runner when their OL opens up gaping holes that allows them to fully accelerate into the second level of the defense.

wist43
06-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Leaper, that's a huge stretch you're making there by saying that the only difference between Morency and that list of pro bowlers is the OL.

Yes, those guys run/ran behind great lines, and GB's line is junk, but Morency couldn't carry those guys jocks...

It would seem that the only people who really believe that Morency can carry the load are TT, MM, and the drunkest of Kool-Aid drinkers... I haven't seen a single national writer, scout, or analyst step up to the plate and state that they think GB's RB problems are solved.

Puff pieces aside (it is the offseason afterall), Morency has proven nothing and he simply doesn't have the look of an every down RB. Put some tapes in from last year... the next tough yard he gains will be his first. After the Packers fail repeatedly on 3rd and short, I suspect the jig will be up with Morency, and the Packers will be back at the drawing board next year.

The '07 RB situation is looking more and more like a redo of the '05 OL situation, i.e. "we can trot some slugs out there and be fine"...

You know TT - never, ever address needs, and quantity over quality. PBA, and in 10 years we'll have all the holes filled!!!

Partial
06-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Leaper, that's a huge stretch you're making there by saying that the only difference between Morency and that list of pro bowlers is the OL.

Yes, those guys run/ran behind great lines, and GB's line is junk, but Morency couldn't carry those guys jocks...

It would seem that the only people who really believe that Morency can carry the load are TT, MM, and the drunkest of Kool-Aid drinkers... I haven't seen a single national writer, scout, or analyst step up to the plate and state that they think GB's RB problems are solved.

Puff pieces aside (it is the offseason afterall), Morency has proven nothing and he simply doesn't have the look of an every down RB. Put some tapes in from last year... the next tough yard he gains will be his first. After the Packers fail repeatedly on 3rd and short, I suspect the jig will be up with Morency, and the Packers will be back at the drawing board next year.

The '07 RB situation is looking more and more like a redo of the '05 OL situation, i.e. "we can trot some slugs out there and be fine"...

You know TT - never, ever address needs, and quantity over quality. PBA, and in 10 years we'll have all the holes filled!!!

Funny how Priest Holmes couldn't carry a mediocre running backs jock when he was in Baltimore, but when he got behind a special, rare line he set the league on fire.

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 02:37 PM

So if Ted never addresses for needs, I'm just assuming that, picking a RB in the 2nd round was just throwing a dart at a board and seeing what player it landed on, right?

The Leaper
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM

Is it such a leap?

I think you GREATLY OVERESTIMATE the difference in talent between very good backs and good backs in the NFL. I don't consider Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson or Willie Parker to be great backs. They are very good...and were lucky enough to play behind GREAT lines that made them look better than they were. Most NFL RBs are plenty capable of putting up huge numbers behind a great OL and threatening passing game...it is just that few actually have a great OL and threatening passing game to work with.

That is precisely why Holmes struggled to be consistent in Baltimore...then flourished in KC. Did his talent level change? Of course not. His surrounding cast did.

Morency has proven nothing and he simply doesn't have the look of an every down RB. Put some tapes in from last year... the next tough yard he gains will be his first.

He hasn't been given a chance at being an every down back...so you have nothing to really prove your opinion. For all you know, he may surprise and do well in short yardage. None of us know until he is given a chance.

Even if he isn't a great short yardage back...AGAIN, WHO CARES? Why is there this need to have one RB that can do everything? Do you honestly realize just how rare a RB like that is? Most RBs can't do everything.

In the ZBS, a powerful runner isn't necessarily the preference as your featured runner. You want a guy who can read the blocks, find a hole, and accelerate through it rapidly. If he does happen to also be a great power runner as well (ala Green) then count your blessings. Holmes would be a poor back in a ZBS. So would Johnson.

You keep 5 or 6 backs on your roster...why can't one of the other guys help in short yardage? Why does Morency or Jackson have to be-all-end-all at the position? Besides...short yardage again is far more about your OL than it is your RB. You can have Jim Brown back there to pick up a yard...if you are running right and the right side of the OL all get shoved backward 3 yards on the snap, you likely aren't converting the first down.

BOTTOM LINE: The running game always depends on the presence of a great OL...unless you have a great RB, which are exceedingly rare. RB play in the NFL often is a barometer of the strength of the OL play, not the greatness of the RB...which is why guys can switch teams and see such a signficant difference in production, both positive and negative.

The Leaper
06-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Funny how Priest Holmes couldn't carry a mediocre running backs jock when he was in Baltimore, but when he got behind a special, rare line he set the league on fire.

Precisely.

Morency played behind one of the worst lines in the NFL in Houston. He played behind an average line last year...and one that was learning a new scheme. Despite that, he has a career 4.4 ypc average.

Sure, he remains unproven in terms of consistency over time. But to claim he is completely useless going forward when his stats are pretty decent in the limited time he has been given a chance is illogical.

wist43
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM

So if Ted never addresses for needs, I'm just assuming that, picking a RB in the 2nd round was just throwing a dart at a board and seeing what player it landed on, right?

I can only assume that TT did, in fact, throw a dart at the board, b/c while Jackson plays a position of need, he appears to be a carbon copy of Morency - and of course, I see Morency as a situational guy. So drafting another situational guy doesn't fill the need, does it???

I don't know, maybe two situational guys adds up to one good player.

wist43
06-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Of course the OL is the penultimate factor in a successful running game...

I can't believe you guys are actually trying to compare Morency to Johnson, or Holmes, or whoever...

Artose Pinner is probably a more apt comparison.

wist43
06-07-2007, 03:29 PM

Precisely.

Morency played behind one of the worst lines in the NFL in Houston. He played behind an average line last year...and one that was learning a new scheme. Despite that, he has a career 4.4 ypc average.

Sure, he remains unproven in terms of consistency over time. But to claim he is completely useless going forward when his stats are pretty decent in the limited time he has been given a chance is illogical.

Have I ever claimed Morency is "completely useless"??? Of course not... I like him as a change of pace/part time player. I think he's ideally suited to that role.

Despite what they have him listed at (210 lbs), he plays much smaller than that, and RB is a position of attrition... small RB's that make it as every down players are rare.

Small RB's, small OL, third and inches a passing down - to a power football guy like me, it's pretty demoralizing.

Atlanta finally abandoned the "small" philosophy... that day won't arrive in GB fast enough for me. Perhaps there's a 12 step program I can go into??? :eyes:

The Leaper
06-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Have I ever claimed Morency is "completely useless"??? Of course not... I like him as a change of pace/part time player. I think he's ideally suited to that role.

This is what I do not understand. You claim Morency is fine as a "situational" player...although "situational" typically means short yardage/3rd down back...but then you say that Morency is a liability in that exact role.

So just what the hell "situation" is Morency good at?

Wist, we all know you want to run the Lombardi sweep on every play. That isn't happening anymore. We have a zone blocking scheme. We don't run a power run attack. As such, Morency is precisely the kind of back who will excel the majority of the time. I agree he may be a liability in short yardage...but I don't think we've seen enough of him in that role to make a firm judgment on that yet. Even if he is a liability there, we have other roster spots available where you can get that production from.

Is it nice to have a power run scheme? Of course it is. However, under the salary cap, it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to build one that will stand the test of time. Elite OL players in those schemes demand huge dollars, and eventually will either eat up cap space needed to improve other vital areas of your team or will leave via free agency for a huge contract.

Look at KC...dominant run for 4-5 years, but how many playoff wins do they have to show for it? Their defense sucks...largely because of the vast amount of money they've thrown into their offense...primarily at RB, TE and OL.

Look at Pittsburgh...they did manage to win a title, but only after barely squeaking into the playoffs and going on a magical run. The previous year to that wasn't pretty...neither was this past season. The power run game hasn't done much for them either.

To me, it doesn't matter what scheme you run. Both schemes have been run with a high degree of success when run correctly. The key is getting players that fit the scheme and having coaches that are capable of coaching the scheme.

I think you are trying to fit Morency into a power run game that we just don't have anymore. I'm not sure that we are trying to have an "every-down" back anymore. If you look at his talents and strengths in comparison to the system we now run, I fail to see how you would write him off as no better than a "complimentary" player. Warrick Dunn isn't a powerful runner...but he is a very good back. You will need to pair him with someone else, but in today's NFL that is where things are heading anyway.

BooHoo
06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
At least the guy is putting in hours to learn the position and excel. For this I tip my hat to him!

Joemailman
06-07-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how much Morency can improve with the advantage of getting to go through training camp with the Packers, which weas not the case last year. As the article stated, when the Packers acquired him, he had to learn his 3rd offensive scheme in 2 years. I think he has a shot to be very good in this system. If, once we get into the season, he is still not making the right cuts with regularity, then my outlook will have changed. For now though, I'll enjoy my Kool-Aid, thank you very much.

BooHoo
06-07-2007, 06:36 PM
I will stay on the Morency bandwagon for now myself! :)

wist43
06-07-2007, 06:51 PM

This is what I do not understand. You claim Morency is fine as a "situational" player...although "situational" typically means short yardage/3rd down back...but then you say that Morency is a liability in that exact role.

So just what the hell "situation" is Morency good at?

Wist, we all know you want to run the Lombardi sweep on every play. That isn't happening anymore. We have a zone blocking scheme. We don't run a power run attack. As such, Morency is precisely the kind of back who will excel the majority of the time. I agree he may be a liability in short yardage...but I don't think we've seen enough of him in that role to make a firm judgment on that yet. Even if he is a liability there, we have other roster spots available where you can get that production from.

Is it nice to have a power run scheme? Of course it is. However, under the salary cap, it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to build one that will stand the test of time. Elite OL players in those schemes demand huge dollars, and eventually will either eat up cap space needed to improve other vital areas of your team or will leave via free agency for a huge contract.

Look at KC...dominant run for 4-5 years, but how many playoff wins do they have to show for it? Their defense sucks...largely because of the vast amount of money they've thrown into their offense...primarily at RB, TE and OL.

Look at Pittsburgh...they did manage to win a title, but only after barely squeaking into the playoffs and going on a magical run. The previous year to that wasn't pretty...neither was this past season. The power run game hasn't done much for them either.

To me, it doesn't matter what scheme you run. Both schemes have been run with a high degree of success when run correctly. The key is getting players that fit the scheme and having coaches that are capable of coaching the scheme.

I think you are trying to fit Morency into a power run game that we just don't have anymore. I'm not sure that we are trying to have an "every-down" back anymore. If you look at his talents and strengths in comparison to the system we now run, I fail to see how you would write him off as no better than a "complimentary" player. Warrick Dunn isn't a powerful runner...but he is a very good back. You will need to pair him with someone else, but in today's NFL that is where things are heading anyway.

Don't know that I feel like doing the research to either confirm or refute your assertions wrt the Chiefs and Steelers, but I will make a couple of comments.

KC has had a dominant line for several years - offense starts up front; you, I, and everyone else in this forum know's that. No way can you make the argument that spending $$$ on your OL is a bad investment.

As for the assertion that $$$ was disproportionately invested in the line as opposed to the defense, I'd have to see the numbers on that... but, I know they've signed some FA's to pretty big contracts on the defensive side of the ball - recently, Surtain, Knight, Law, Edwards, Bell, et al... and, they've either underperformed, or they simply didn't worked out. I believe they've also missed on more than one 1st round pick, Ryan Sims comes to mind.

It isn't as if they've ignored the defense at the expense of the OL, they simply have stunk as an organization at identifying defensive impact players, and putting them in a scheme where they can be successful.

As for your contention that I may be imposing my version of what a RB should look like, i.e. a power back, into the ZBS - I am not doing that in this case. I am looking at Morency, and seeing a guy who plays the game small, and I don't think you can play the game small and be an every down player - regardless of system.

Yes, I would prefer a bigger back, i.e. Ahman Green... if it's not going to be Ahman Green, I want it to be a back that is as big, tough, and fast as Ahman Green was.

That's what I want... I'd say, "so sue me", but I'm fighting this fight alone and I know the jury would sooner hang me as give me a last meal.

So there!!!!
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Bretsky
06-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Of course the OL is the penultimate factor in a successful running game...

I can't believe you guys are actually trying to compare Morency to Johnson, or Holmes, or whoever...

Artose Pinner is probably a more apt comparison.

Completely agree

Priest Holmes showed some very nice talent before he left Baltimore. But Jamal Lewis was the man there.

Morency to a top tier RB at this point.... :wow:

Bretsky
06-07-2007, 06:55 PM

Precisely.

Several in here have already did an analysis of Morency's 4.4 yard average. I believe Harvey pointed it out best. His best games were nicely padded by facing terrible defenses.

I fail to see why anybody would use his 4.4 yd average as a plus or minus with so little carries.

Bretsky
06-07-2007, 06:58 PM
IMO Morency is a decent complimentary RB. Tag teaming with a guy like Ahman Green, who is better, would suit his role fine.

He has to show me a lot more to start pouing the kool aide in this cup

Freak Out
06-07-2007, 07:16 PM
The running game is a complete crap shoot with Green gone. Morency and all the other RBs have to prove they are able to do the job. Rb is the only position on the team where we really don't know who the starters will be. TE and Safety may flip flop a few names but other than that there are not many ???

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Morency to a top tier RB at this point.... :wow:

B, the emoticons are still going to be there tomorrow. Don't use them all up at once.

The Leaper
06-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Yes, I would prefer a bigger back, i.e. Ahman Green... if it's not going to be Ahman Green, I want it to be a back that is as big, tough, and fast as Ahman Green was.

Well, you won't hear me argue that point. I'd rather have Ahman Green in his prime as well. That's a no brainer. However, those kind of players are rare...and who was available that really provided that? Lynch was off the board in the 1st...and I'm not sure anyone in the 2nd round who was a bigger RB necessarily had the skill sets to play in a ZBS attack as a feature back.

As for those who criticise that Morency racked up stats against poor defenses...SO WHAT? Are you ignoring the fact that the OL in front of him also was mediocre? Morency has played primarily behind poor lines...so the fact that he has found moderate success, even against poor defenses, is a positive. I never said it was evidence that he is a future Pro Bowl RB. I said it was evidence that the kid deserves a chance to prove himself full-time before he is written off as merely a "complimentary" player.

Warrick Dunn has played small during his career...and he's been pretty damn good. Sure, you need to also have a dependable short yardage back to utilize with him...but why is that such a difficult feat to accomplish that we should make it mandatory that we always have a big feature back who can carry the ball 320 times every year? If a tandem can put up 1600 yards and provide reasonable success in all aspects of the offense, who the hell cares if the production is from two guys instead of one?