PDA

View Full Version : Predict What Rookies Make The Roster?

TopHat
06-06-2007, 10:58 PM
What Rookies Make The Final Roster, listed below:

1 Justin Harrell DT
2 Brandon Jackson RB
3 James Jones WR
3 Aaron Rouse S
4 Allen Barbre OT
5 David Clowney WR
6 Korey Hall ILB
6 Desmond Bishop ILB
6 Mason Crosby PK
7 Deshawn Wynn RB
7 Clark Harris TE
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Fans' examples:

1. Harrell - Starter
Jackson - Starter
James Jones - Practice squad
Rouse - Starter
Barbre - Backup
Clowney - Key reserve & returner
Hall - Makes roster
Bishop - Cut
Crosby - Starter
Wynn - Practice squad
Harris - Starter

2. Justin Harrell Starter
Brandon Jackson - Committee rb
James Jones - Backup player
Aaron Rouse - Backup player
Allen Barbre - Starter
David Clowney - Cut
Korey Hall - Roster
Desmond Bishop - Backup player
Mason Crosby - Beats out Rayner
Deshawn Wynn - Backup player
Clark Harris - Backup player

Predict Which Rookies Make the Roster?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

BACKGROUND INFO: NEWS STORIES

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=615173

Kids out to prove worth. Rookies hoping for playing time

When Brett Favre was a rookie with the Atlanta Falcons in 1991, James Jones was 7 years old. Today, Favre and Jones are teammates with the Green Bay Packers.Jones is just one of 11 of Favre's newest teammates - all members for Green Bay's 2007 draft class - who hope to earn a roster spot with the Packers this fall. And Jones is more than a former adolescent who has grown into a pro football player. He could be a consolation prize and pleasant surprise for Favre and the critics of Green Bay's off-season, who contend that general manager Ted Thompson hasn't done enough to improve the offense. Jones stands just a shade over 6-feet tall and is a powerfully built 207-pound wide receiver. He comes to Green Bay as a third-round draft choice out of San Jose State with a reputation for catching the football in a crowd. But Jones is not Randy Moss. Favre made it clear after draft weekend that he was disappointed that Green Bay did not swing a trade with Oakland and lost Moss to New England. Favre knows what Moss could have brought to the Packers, but Jones and his fellow rookies are nothing more right now than mystery men trying to make a good impression on the future Hall of Fame quarterback.

The early returns have been, well, OK. "It went real good," Jones said of meeting Favre at the team's mandatory minicamp (May 18-20). "Brett Favre is a nice guy. He loves the players and he loves to play the game. So he's just a guy that's out there having fun. To catch passes from him is just a dream come true. "I got the little jitters out of the way catching the first ball, but it went real good. He came up and introduced himself. . . . 'Nice to meet you, glad to have you here.' Things like that." To many, Jones and running back Brandon Jackson are looked upon as too little too late in the draft. Jackson, drafted out of Nebraska in the second round, was 6 when Favre was a 21-year-old rookie with the Falcons. But he could become No. 1 in Green Bay's backfield or - at the very least - share the load with Vernand Morency. Fans booed on Day 1 of the draft when the Packers selected defensive tackle Justin Harrell from Tennessee with their No. 1 pick. Green Bay opted for Harrell with the 16th choice after Buffalo, picking at No. 12, beat them to running back Marshawn Lynch of California. To many fans, the selections of Jackson and Jones became, "who?" and "why?"

But Jones is undaunted. From ages 8 to 12, Jones lived in homeless shelters in San Jose with his mother and sister, so making a lasting impact in Green Bay might not be his greatest challenge. "I'm excited about it, whichever way I can get on the field and help him out, I'm going to do it," Jones said. Jones noticed an abrupt change in the proceedings from rookie orientation camp (May 4-6) to minicamp when Favre and the other veterans showed up. "The speed picked up," said Jones, who seems to have loftier goals than just making the team as the No. 3 wide receiver behind Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. "The intensity picked up. It's just about working together, being a team now, so we can strive to get this championship. I think the sky's the limit for our offense. We've got a lot of weapons. We've got a great quarterback. If we execute real well, I think the sky's the limit for this team and the offense. I think we're in a real good situation." And as far as losing Randy Moss to New England, Jones smiled and said, "Yeah, I think we'll be all right."

David Clowney, a rookie wide receiver from Virginia Tech, could be another bonus weapon for Favre. Clowney was once timed as fast as 4.29 seconds in the 40-yard dash. But he's slightly built at 185 pounds and as a fifth-round draft choice, his confidence might be running a few steps ahead of his chances of making the team. On Day 1 of minicamp, Clowney's first meeting with Favre came by long distance, inside the Don Hutson Center. "Well, technically, I didn't really meet him yet," Clowney said after Green Bay's first minicamp practice. "But it was interesting catching passes from him. I did catch about two or three passes from him today. It was really interesting, knowing that I'm out there on the field with a guy that's going to be a Hall of Fame quarterback and a legend in Green Bay. "It was just outstanding being able to catch a ball from a quarterback of his caliber." Clowney believes he can offer the speed Green Bay might have lost when Moss got away. "I actually heard (Greg) Jennings say today that we don't need Randy Moss just to have a good team," said Clowney, who was 6 in Favre's rookie season. "He was with a team that won two games last year at Oakland and they had Randy Moss. Just because he comes here doesn't mean we are going to be so much better." Moss isn't a Packer, but Clowney plans to be one for a long time to come. "I plan on making a future here," Clowney said.

"You know, Brett's still here and (Aaron) Rodgers is backing him up. He's a great quarterback as well. So I think our receiving corps is going to be one of the best." Clowney said he and Jones will more than make up for the talent of Moss, without all the baggage the oft-trouble wide receiver has carried through his career. "I don't think either one of us are going to bring anything to embarrass ourselves, the team, or our families or this community," Clowney said. Clowney, like Jones, seems to have goals that go beyond just making the roster. "I'm loving it. I'm very excited," Clowney said. "Just knowing the fact that we have the opportunity to be a Super Bowl-winning team. We have the talent here. We have the potential here. And I just want to be a part of that. I know I can help that happen on offense, special teams. Whatever the team needs. Any time they call my name I'm going to be right there, willing to do whatever I have to, to get my team to the Super Bowl." Clowney's first goal will be winning a spot in the posh, huge football-shaped locker room where Green Bay's established players dress. Right now Clowney and other rookies and free agents, such as seventh-round draft choice DeShawn Wynn, dress in Green Bay's auxiliary locker room. This is the Packers' equivalent to the card table where the kids eat on Thanksgiving Day.

"I don't think it's where you're drafted, it's what you do with the opportunity once you get here," said Wynn, who was the leading rusher for the Florida Gators national championship team in 2006. "Even though I got drafted in the seventh round I've got a great opportunity here to make this team and probably play some kind of role this year." Wynn's draft stock fell because he was considered a discipline problem at Florida. "It's a little faster than college," said Wynn, Green Bay's oldest draft pick, who turns 24 in October and was a whopping 8 when Favre was a rookie. "You're playing with some grown men out there. Once you get the pads on and get to hitting, that's when it's really going to kick in and let you know if you can play at this level or not." Wynn will get a chance with the Packers at tailback and fullback in an offense where Favre is searching for playmakers. "It's kind of nerve-racking just to see him," Wynn said of meeting Favre. "But he's a cool guy, though. Real humble. He likes to have fun out there. He enjoys what he does." And he'll enjoy it a little more if gets some help from the new kids.

Lurker64
06-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Who on earth thought Jones was a practice squad candidate? There's no way he's not making the roster, unless he's absolutely incompetent in the offseason (which has not been the case thus far, reports are that he's been reasonably impressive in shorts.)

TopHat
06-07-2007, 03:44 AM
I would say draft expectations fall out detailed in this news article. Remember, fans have contrasting views about all of them, especially both Jones and Clowney. We shall see shortly.

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2312

What a horrible pick! This is what many Packer fans were saying after the Packers selected James Jones with the 78th pick. But lest we forget, there are 31 other teams, and many other fans out there that often feel the same way about their teams. For example, let's look at the very next pick after James Jones was selected. With the 79th pick, Jacksonville drafted WR Mike Walker. Now Jacksonville is the forgotten stepchild of the NFL. If you think the Packers are overlooked by national media...Jaguars fans feel the same way times a hundred. So because they aren't a real high-profile team with a huge fan following like the Packers, I think this "reach pick" kind of went under the radar much more than the Packers' selection of James Jones.
But make no mistake about it, many throughout Jaguar Nation were up in arms. Why? Because just like us, they look at draft publications like: Pro Football Weekly. They had Mike Walker pegged as the #28 WR, and a 6th-7th round selection. The Sporting News. They had Walker pegged as the #39 WR, with 7th round value. Street & Smith's. They didn't even have Walker evaluated among the top 30 WR prospects in their pre-draft magazine. Mel Kiper. He had him rated as the #26 WR, and expected him to go later in the draft. The three of those publications that rated Mike Walker all had James Jones rated very similarly. One of them had Walker rated a little higher, but the other two had Jones a little higher. So for all the people and so-called experts that were scratching their heads about the Jones pick...well, you could say the same thing about the Jaguars pick.
But you know what else both of these guys have in common, other than being drafted higher than most people thought they would? They have both turned heads at mini-camp, and showed that at least they belong. Mike Walker, in fact, drew enough rave reviews from the coaching staff and teammates that there are whispers that he may even earn a starting spot, and will likely compete with Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, and Ernest Wilford. Just the fact that these guys have shown that they weren't a wasted pick so far is more than can be said for the much more highly regarded Robert Meachem, who showed up out of shape and got injured. And of course...none of this means a thing. No teams really know what they've got yet.
So I guess the point of all this is to say that if you weren't thrilled with the James Jones pick on draft day, and thought he was easily a second day guy...well, you're not alone. Other teams' fans felt the same way about some of their guys. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything in the long run. Let's see how things turn out in September.

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Which bench warmer option should I choose?

TopHat
06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Which bench warmer option should I choose?

Either one...will tally both for % results.

Charles Woodson
06-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I say all rookies make it except crosby(unless he beats out rayner) Winn (gotta beat out herron) and harris(has to win the 3rd te spot)

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I expect Clowney to be the #5 WR behind Jones and Ruvell. Clowney will be useful on long routes with his speed. I think he could get 2 or 3 TDs this season.

LL2
06-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I would love to see Clowney turn out to be a good return man and use his balzing speed to move 10 yards up the filed before anyone gets close. It takes more than speed to be a good return guy, but it helps. I'd like to see Jones be a reliable "move the chains" guy. Jackson I'd like to see become a really good starter by the 4th game. If all this happens and Harrell becomes a monster beast on the DL then this draft will be a huge success.

ND72
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Korey Hall isn't even playing LB...he's playing FB.

TopHat
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
DEDICATION: BRETSKY SEARCHING FOR HOLY PACKER TURTLE GRAIL FOUND ON BICYCLE TOUR NEAR MYSTIC LAKE.

http://packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2286

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round One: Justin Harrell.

Mel Kiper: "Harrell was a real disruptive force along the interior of the defensive line. He has good size, quickness and athleticism for a defensive tackle. It's a shame he got hurt, because he was on his way to earning a pretty high grade, perhaps even a top 10-15 overall evaluation. Now he's back to right around 100 percent and has been able to put the injury behind him. Athletic 300+ pounder with the ability to make his presence felt along the interior. When Harrell is in there, he jumps out at you on film."

Pat Kirwan (nfl.com): "I had Justin Harrell going somewhere at this point in the draft because when he regained his health, it demonstrated to the NFL -- with the 35 reps on the bench -- NFL personnel people went back and looked at 2005 game tapes and convinced themselves he was a first-round selection because he has a unique ability to disengage from blockers and make plays in the backfield."

Street & Smith's: "Good size with long arms. Has the size and strength to play two-gap schemes, but may be best suited for a one-gap scheme where he can use his quickness to shoot gaps and make plays in the backfield. Quick off the ball. Stays low and maintains leverage. Agile; good change of direction. Effective against the run and pass. Very strong and powerful. Anchors well. Able to bull rush and collapse the pocket. Disruptive. Does well on line stunts. Instinctive; quick to locate the ball. Moves well through traffic. Closes quickly on the ball carrier. Will play hurt."

Pro Football Weekly: "Very fluid for his size with great functional playing strength. Good athlete. Shows good initial quickness to get into the gaps and disrupt, outstanding strength to stack the point and surprising range to make plays outside the tackle box. Good strength to play the double team. Effective bull rusher who can push the pocket inside and close to the quarterback. Shows good awareness to locate the ball. Reads hats and feels where pressure is coming from. Strong drive-through tackler. Very versatile--plays on the nose and as a three-technique and has the size to line up outside in a 3-4 front."

From nfldraftscout.com: "Has thick upper-body mass with a firm chest, shoulders and good arm-muscle definition. … Has big hips, thick thighs and calves and room on his frame to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness. … Quick and explosive off the snap; even though he was used mostly to occupy multiple blockers at the line of scrimmage, he does a good job of anchoring and clogging up the inside rush lanes. … Has outstanding weight-room strength and is starting to learn how to translate that to the football field. … Does an effective job of combining aggressiveness with strength to create an explosive surge off the snap. … Maintains a low center of gravity to fill the inside lanes. … Will make plays down field and shows good urgency closing on the ball. ... Leader-by-example type who proved his moxie by refusing surgery to play with a ruptured biceps vs. Florida in 2006. … Responsible, mature type who really embraced the leadership role thrust upon him as a senior. … Difficult to handle in one-on-one situations; he will constantly battle until the whistle."

Scout.com: "A hard-working lineman with a lot of physical skill, Harrell could be one of the most underrated players in this draft. Tough, athletic defender who plays with top effort. Gets off the snap with a quick first step, is fluid changing direction and slides off blocks to make the play. Bends his knees, gets leverage on opponents and is rarely off his feet. Flashes power on the inside, gets push in the middle of the line or holds the point. Consistently doubled by opponents."

FootballsFuture.com: "Harrell has all the talent to be a standout defensive tackle at the next level. He has solid size, is a good athlete, and is strong. He is an excellent run stopper, displaying the ability to hold his ground at the point attack and get off blocks to bring down the ball carrier. He also shows the burst to get through the line and has the speed and athleticism to get to the outside and run down the offensive player. You have to love Harrell's attitude as well. After rupturing his bicep against Air Force, he came out and played through the pain against Florida the following week."
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2291

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Two: Brandon Jackson

Gil Brandt (NFL.com): "Jackson has a chance to be the real surprise of this draft, as far as running backs go. He reminds me of Frank Gore and Rudi Johnson. A three-year player at Nebraska who left a year early, he's a complete back. He's a real good receiver; you don't have to take him out in passing situations."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Very good athlete...Plays faster than he times...Great quickness and a burst...Has excellent vision, patience and instincts...Tough, strong and runs hard...He is able to run inside and outside effectively...Shifty...Good balance and changes direction well...Was a productive receiver...Not much mileage on his tires...Big-time upside...A guy who could be underrated because he most certainly has talent and appeared to finally be coming into his own this past season...May have been the top senior running back for 2008 so he could end up being a steal for someone this year."

Mel Kiper: "Jackson hits the hole with authority, showing aggressive running skills. He has good vision, and once he breaks into the clear, he has the speed to hit the home run and go the distance. After just five receptions total in his first two collegiate seasons, Jackson proved in 2006 that he is also adept at catching the ball out of the backfield. He runs hard, plays with heart, and after more than two years of adversity with the shoulder problems and then fighting for playing time, he displayed the kind of drive and character you look for in a player."

Sporting News: "Sees the field well, waits for blocks and makes quick cuts. Adept at bouncing runs outside when the middle is clogged. Has the footwork and agility to get through backside holes. Has the strength and balance to absorb big hits and keep moving forward. Runs through arm tackles. Has good hands and adjusts well to off-target throws. He has the skills to become a starter and the tools to become a punishing runner."

Pro Football Weekly: "Good size. Has good vision to see holes uncover and good cutback skills. Does not lose stride when he cuts back. Runs hard downhill and shows the agility to sidestep tacklers and elude the first tackler. Nice run instincts. Shows enough foot speed to get to the corner and turn up-field. Keeps his shoulders squared to the line. Picks up yardage in chunks. Natural hands and is effective as a route runner. Solid in pass protection and plays alert to pick up the blitz and can pick off defenders. Does not have a lot of tread on his tires. Has kickoff-return ability. Has never been a true feature back, but he has shown he can be effective as a stretch zone runner and could be most effective in an offense such as that of the Texans or Broncos."

Street & Smith's: "Instinctive. Runs with good vision and balance. Effective between the tackles. Smooth change of directions. Good speed; shows the ability to take it the distance from anywhere on the field. Patient; allows blocks to develop before accelerating through the hole. Uses stiff-arm well. Runs north-south. Can bounce the play outside. Elusive; able to create on his own when nothing is there. Consistently makes the first defender miss. Able to convert short-yardage plays. Protects the ball. Capable receiver out of the backfield. Shows some ability as a route runner. Will extend hands and catch the ball out away from his body. Shows blocking ability with good blitz awareness and recognition. Has also been used to return kicks."
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2297

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Three: James Jones & Aaron Rouse

James Jones:

Sporting News: "Is a strong after-the-catch runner who can turn short receptions into touchdowns. Has good, strong hands and the toughness to catch passes on slants and crossing routes with linebackers barreling down on him. Is fearless going up for high passes. Has the quickness to separate and the elusiveness to make the first defenders miss. Bottom line: Jones will probably be a surprise because of his flair for the big play. Look for him to improve with experience and become a quality NFL receiver."

Mel Kiper: "Jones had a nice finish to his career at SJSU and is a little underrated on the national scene. He was a little inconsistent as a sophomore and a junior, but in 2006, he really brought his game together: 70 receptions, 893 yards (12.8 avg), and 10 TDs, all of which led the team. He also averaged 11 yards on 11 punt returns. Jones caught nine passes for 130 yards and three scores against Washington; he gained 134 yards and scored a touchdown on eight receptions in the Utah State game; and he tallied five catches for 105 yards and two TDs against New Mexico in their bowl game. Jones is somewhat intriguing because he finally started to put it all together this past season. He is real strong and he plays faster than he times in workouts. He has the physical talent to compete for a spot and it looked in 2006 like his skills as a wide receiver were coming around as well."

nfldraftscout.com: "The consummate team player, the coaching staff took full advantage of Jones' athletic ability and versatility in 2006. He not only went on to lead the team in receptions, but he also showed a strong throwing arm for the option pass, natural hands to handle punt-return duties and an ability to keep the defenses honest by getting good yardage on the reverse. He went on to score by catching, running and throwing the ball during his final year. The second-team All-Western Athletic Conference choice was named team MVP in 2006. He led the team with a career-high 70 receptions, gaining 893 yards (12.8 avg.) with 10 touchdowns. He rushed 11 times for 76 yards (6.9 avg.) and a score and returned 11 punts for 121 yards (11.0 avg.). He also connected on 2 of 6 passes for 57 yards and a touchdown."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Has adequate height and pretty good bulk...Has very good hands...Is more quick than fast...Tough, strong and physical...Great leaper...Will work the middle of the field...Aggressive with excellent balls skills...Can contribute on special teams in a number of roles...Gamer who'll step up when it counts...Still has some potential...Emerging prospect who really had a breakout season as a senior in 2006...Can also long snap...Has steadily moved up draft boards...He profiles as a backup but could be more...Still underrated but he could be a pleasant surprise for someone."

Rob Rang (USA Today): "He is not a blazer, but the 6-1, 210 pound Jones is physical, runs good routes and catches the ball well; he could be a better pro than college player. What Jones might lack in downfield speed, he makes up for with precision in his route-running and overall strength. Jones repeatedly won battles for the ball, shrugging off smaller, weaker cornerbacks to make big catches."

Aaron Rouse:

Sporting News (rated him a first round prospect): "Reads quarterbacks and breaks quickly to get outside and help cornerbacks on deep routes. Closes quickly on passes in front of him. Shows the athleticism to stay on tight ends' hips all over the field. Is adept at reading quarterbacks' eyes. Does not get sucked in by play-action and has the speed to get to spots in a hurry. Has great burst to finish. When aggressive, makes strong, physical tackles. After missteps in coverage, still can catch up to tight ends. Shows outstanding hands. In two-deep coverage, is adept at cutting underneath post routes for interceptions. Gets outside to help in over-the-top coverage. Is better at run support than most safeties. Has the instincts and speed to chase down runners before they turn the corner. Bottom line: Rouse is productive in all areas--chasing down runners, covering tight ends man-to-man, breaking up and intercepting passes in zone coverage and covering kicks. He will be a good safety who brings as much to the locker room as he does to the field."

Street & Smith's: "Athletic workout warrior with very good size and speed. Long arms. Tough and aggressive. Plays with a mean streak. Enough speed to run with backs and tight ends. Good leaping ability. Shows recovery speed. Closes quickly. Accelerates with a burst. Sideline-to-sideline range. Comes up quickly in run support. Usually a reliable tackler; wraps up the ball carrier. Confident. Durable; will play hurt. Works hard. Bottom line: Rouse runs extremely well and has excellent size, along with great potential that hasn't been fully tapped. If he can get with the right secondary coach, Rouse has a chance to make a name for himself. "If the light goes on for him," says an AFC scout, "he will be special."

Pro Football Weekly: "Outstanding combination of height, weight, and speed. Highly competitive player who hates to lose at anything. Good hands and ball skills to make athletic plays outside of his frame. Has a fairly smooth back pedal and can turn and transition out of it. Can come off the hash and play to the sideline. Has good range. Can be physical and aggressive to defend the run once he sees it. Comes downhill and, at times, strikes with force."

nfldraftscout.com: "The Hokies have been known for their hard-hitting defensive players since Frank Beamer took over as head coach in 1987. The team's coaching staff and almost every opposing offensive coordinator agree -- pound for pound, Rouse was one of the most punishing tacklers to ever wear a Tech uniform."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Has great size and a very solid build...Timed speed is outstanding...Physical and does a great job in the box versus the run...Athletic and a good leaper...Range is adequate and he is able to make plays sideline-to-sideline...Decent tackler with a burst who can really close in a hurry...Nasty and an intimidator who plays with an attitude...Versatile...Has good hands...Is still improving and has a lot of potential...Extremely intriguing prospect to say the least."

Mel Kiper: "Rouse is big and athletic and has great straight-line speed, all impressive qualities for an NFL starter. Rouse definitely has the physical tools to be a factor in the NFL."
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2300

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Four: Allen Barbre

nfldraftcountdown.com: "A fantastic athlete for the position...Mobile with good range...Decent size and the frame to bulk up further...Great strength...A hard worker...Tough and plays with a physical demeanor...Effective as a run and pass blocker...He dominated his level...Division II All-American...A workout warrior who really opened some eyes at the scouting combine...Could also project to guard at the next level...Might thrive in a zone blocking scheme...One of the top sleeper prospects in this draft and he will attempt to follow in the footsteps of guys like Todd Herremans and Kevin Boothe."

Pro Football Weekly: "Is country-strong and solidly built. Shows the ability to dominate at the Division II level. Nice play strength. Can drive defenders off the ball and finish blocks. Takes the game seriously and has a passion for it. Competes hard and flashes some violence in his play. Has overcome a lot of adversity in his life and has the playing demeanor to make it."

Sporting News: "Is a terrific athlete with nice quickness. Can chip defensive tackles, reach the second level and deliver blows to linebackers. Has the speed to pull and lead outside runs and the flexibility to bend his knees and pass block with leverage. Holds his ground well against bull rushers. Barbre has NFL-caliber athleticism and physical tools."

Mel Kiper: "Barbre is fast and very strong in the weight room. His technique still needs some work, but once that improves, that impressive weight room strength will become excellent functional strength on the football field. He can play either guard or tackle, and if he's a guard, he has excellent ability to pull out, trap, and get to the second level of the defense. Barbre could be an interesting guy down the road if he gets tutored with a quality offensive line coach and is given time to develop his game."

Gil Brandt (nfl.com): "He went to a small high school, then red-shirted at Missouri Southern before becoming a four-year starter. Barbre (6-4, 300) ran a 4.64 and had 28 reps. For a player coming out of an NCAA Division II school that doesn't have a weight program, 28 reps is pretty encouraging -- he can really improve on that in an NFL weight program."

nfldraftscout.com: "Has a developing frame with room to add at least another 15 pounds of bulk with no loss in his impressive quickness … Comes out of his stance with outstanding explosion to shock a lethargic defender … Has the loose hips to change direction and plays … Generates good force behind his hand punch to deliver pop on contact … Hard worker who might need several extra reps to retain plays, but spends extra hours in the film room watching tapes and in the weight room improving his overall strength … When he gets his hands into an opponent, he has the raw power to pull, jerk, lock on and drag down … Rolls his hips well to put more force behind his blocks working in-line … Is quick to react to movement and does a good job of shuffling his feet to mirror … Takes the defensive lineman where he wants to go and uses that momentum to wash out his opponent (needs to stop waist bending, though) … Plays with a strong base and solid effort, showing good foot movement in his pass set … Can beat a defender off the edge with his explosive initial step … Does a nice job of communicating with his guard on double teams....Barbre is a developing talent with outstanding quickness and good strength. He has the balance and nimble feet to fire out on the pulls and traps and shows a punishing hand jolt to impede the pass rusher's forward progress. With some patient coaching, he could develop. It is obvious the athletic talent and quick feet are there."
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2303

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Five: David Clowney

Sporting News: "Is a good athlete and has the hands to make difficult catches. Goes after the ball aggressively. Changes direction and separates from defenders quickly. Really accelerates after the catch and can turn short passes into touchdowns. Does not get caught from behind. Works hard at blocking and is tough; returned quickly from appendectomy during the 2006 season. Bottom line: Clowney, who played throughout college with weak quarterbacks, raised his stock during Senior Bowl week. He should become a solid NFL starter with big-play ability."

Gil Brandt (nfl.com): "I thought Clowney (6-0 1/4, 188) had a chance to be a Day 1 pick. He reminds you of Torry Holt."

Street & Smith's: "Athletic, with blazing speed. Quick, smooth release. Uses hands well. Runs good routes. Knows how to set up a defender. Quick in and out of breaks. Elusive and creative in the open field. Accelerates with a burst. Has a knack for the big play. Bottom line: The kind of receiver who can get open when there appears to be no room in the zone or when man-to-man coverage appears to have him boxed in. While Clowney is too skinny and needs to gain weight, he plays and practices as if every play is his last. Really accelerates well after the catch. 'Good receiver who will outwork defenders and make big things happen,' says an AFC personnel director. 'All he needs to do is get a little bit stronger.'"

Pro Football Weekly: "Is quick off the line and into his routes. Shows the ability to separate and stretch the field. Can adjust well to the ball in flight and track it over his shoulder. Catches the ball in his hands and shows some wiggle after the catch. Good athlete with sprinters speed. Is tough for his size and does not shy from contact. Works hard, takes the game seriously and has good football character. Has returned kicks. Was underutilized playing in an offense that rotates its receivers. May be best in the pros as a rotational receiver and has the potential to develop into a solid No. 2 receiver."

scout.com: "Developing receiver with terrific playing speed. Displays sharpness running routes, gets separation from opponents and extends his hands, offering the quarterback a nice target. Nicely adjusts to the errant throw and makes the reception in stride. Displays strong hands and the ability to pull the fastball from the air. Possesses a straight-line burst of speed and beats defenders down field."

nfldraftscout.com: "David Clowney is a two-sport athlete who excelled in track at Virginia Tech and was the lone senior on a young Hokies' receiving unit. The coaching staff was confident that David would take his place among college football's elite in 2006, but the speedy receiver underwent an emergency appendectomy in September that sidetracked his quest to lead Tech in its march for a national title. Clowney has few peers when it comes to gaining separation on deep routes. He might not have the bulk to be a physical type working underneath, but when he makes those over-the-shoulder grabs, he is almost certain to beat his man, thanks to his hard planting agility that lets him slide past the opponent to pick up positive yardage."

FYI: http://mvn.com/nfl-packers/2007/05/30/a-look-at-the-packers-5th-rounder-david-clowney/
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2310

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Six: Korey Hall, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby.

Korey Hall: (Keep in mind that the draft publications profiled him as a linebacker, rather than fullback. But a football player is a football player, right?)

nfldraftscout.com: "Has great leadership ability and is a leader by example that plays on all of the core special teams … Honor Roll student with keen vision and instincts … Plays with a good motor and shows the ball awareness skills to string the plays wide … Has good functional strength at the point of attack … Takes proper angles and maintains body position when engaging the larger blockers … Flashes the ability to jab and jolt with his hands … Has the acceleration to reach the outside to make the cut-off plays … Reads the play quickly and knows how to avoid the low blocks, showing good range … Has the body flexibility, knee bend and lateral agility needed to knife through traffic … His change-of-direction agility allows him to protect himself from outside blocks and make plays on the sidelines … Shows explosion when striking and wrapping … Has the speed to trail and run with the tight end in the short area … Anticipates the pass, avoiding trash as he moves up field to pick up his zone assignment … Displays proper wrap technique when tackling, using his leg drive to push the ball carrier back ... Hall is an all-out hustler willing to do anything to make the play … Few linebackers have the natural hands he displays."

Gil Brandt (nfl.com): "He’s a dynamo with 4.73 speed. He’s a tremendously aggressive guy. I think he will be a great special-teams player."

Stats Inc.: "Hall is an extremely hard worker who will never stop moving towards the ball; will outwork most players in any league ... With the way he works, you might see him taken and do quite well in special teams."

scout.com: "An overachiever who gets the most from his abilities, Hall’s attitude, toughness and football intelligence will help him find a spot at the next level. Omnipresent college linebacker with marginal size/speed numbers. Remains disciplined with assignments and shows top instincts. Aggressive, plays faster than his 40-time and is constantly around the action, making positive plays. Gets depth on drops, effectively uses his hands to protect himself and quickly alters his angle of attack. Stays with cover assignments and fires up the field in run defense."

Desmond Bishop:

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Adequate size and bulk...Reliable tackler...Instinctive and aware...Has a non-stop motor...Does a nice job versus the run...Productive...Tough, strong and plays with an attitude...Hard worker...A leader on the field...He lives and breathes the game."

Mel Kiper: "Bishop is an instinctive kid who plays a little faster with the pads on than he times in workouts. Bishop earned first team All-Pac 10 honors this past season after leading the conference with 126 total tackles. His 15 TFLs led Cal, and he added three sacks, three interceptions, two fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles, and one pass breakup. Bishop reacts well to and diagnoses plays very well, while proving to be a reliable tackler."

Sporting News: "Shows good strength and toughness. Consistently fills holes and takes on lead blockers. Shoots gaps well and makes plays in the backfield. Reads and reacts quickly to screen passes and dump-offs. Is smart and gets teammates aligned correctly. Bottom line: Bishop projects as a great backup who can contribute in short-yardage packages."

Pro Football Weekly: "Has good size. Shows nice instincts. Plays with awareness and makes some plays. Locates the ball quickly. Will step downhill and stack and shed. Uses his hands pretty well. Solid tackler. Gives great effort. Plays tough. Learns quickly and understands the game. Has a passion for the game. Good-sized, strong two-down plugger who is not as big and physical as teams would like, but he is good enough to get the job done and could develop into a solid situational role player."

nfldraftscout.com: "Called the 'pulse' of the Cal defense, Bishop enjoyed a banner senior year, leading the Pac-10 with 126 tackles. A model of consistency, he registered at least seven tackles in 18 of the 25 games he played in for the Bears since transferring from the City College of San Francisco. If you are looking for a physical run stuffer who is great at playing inside the box and taking down the lead blocker to clog the rush lanes, Bishop fits that need. He might be more of a situational short-yardage/ground game-only type of contributor at the next level, but he will punish an opponent with his collision-type tackling ability."

Mason Crosby:

Mel Kiper: "Crosby has a tremendously powerful leg, and he's not just a product of the high altitude in Boulder. This past year, Crosby was a unanimous first team All-American and a member of the All-Big 12 First Team for the third straight year. Crosby came down to Mobile at the Senior Bowl and had an excellent week, booming field goals and never losing his accuracy despite consistently moving farther away from the goal posts. As a kicker, Crosby is second to none, with a great leg and tremendous accuracy. Most importantly, he didn't just do it at the high altitude at home; he connected on a 58-yarder down at sea level in Miami and on one from 60 yards out at Iowa State. His leg is strong enough to kick through swirling winds and still hit the target. Crosby did a great job of elevating the ball and booming it and with range of up to 65 yards, has cemented himself as a second or third round pick."

Pro Football Weekly: "Has excellent leg speed and consistently drives kickoffs through the uprights, even away from Colorado's thin air. Can easily handle kicks inside 55 yards. Good accuracy and great long distance range. Can handle pressure. For a playoff team a kicker away from advancing, Crosby could be drafted as high as any kicker since Sebastian Janikowski (17th overall in 2000)."

Sporting News: "Has a powerful leg; kicks explode off his foot. Gets great distance and can hang kickoffs high to help his coverage units. Attacks the ball. Is consistent and accurate on long field goal attempts. Makes clutch kicks; is especially good in the fourth quarter. Bottom line: Crosby is the best kicker in the 2007 class--a great talent with a powerful, explosive leg. He consistently is accurate from 50 yards and beyond. His mental toughness and ability to deliver in the clutch, even in tough weather conditions, will make him a good early Day 2 pick."

nfldraftscout.com: "When it comes to the art of kicking off, few players in the collegiate or professional ranks boast the leg strength Crosby has. The holder of 31 school game, season and career records, he closed out his tenure as Colorado's all-time scorer with 307 points. While some skeptics cite the thin air in the Mile High City for the success of kickers in the Denver area, Crosby has proven time and again that he can be just as successful at sea level. With his power and follow-through, records at the professional level could soon be in jeopardy. Compares To: Jeff Wilkins, St. Louis -- For consistency, accuracy, leg strength and excellence on kickoffs, few in the league can match Wilkins in those areas. That is, until Crosby earns a job in a 2007 training camp. Don't buy into that line that he has an advantage kicking in a thin air environment. There is no one in the collegiate ranks that can match Crosby's leg strength."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Has an outstanding leg...Can hit from well beyond 50 yards and has a career long of 60...Accurate and rarely misses the ones he's supposed to make...Phenomenal on kickoffs and creates a lot of touch-backs...Clutch and doesn't let pressure affect him...Has a lot of experience...Intangibles are excellent...Can also punt in a pinch...Best kicking prospect to come along since Mike Nugent and might be the highest chosen since Sebastian Janikowski back in 2000...A rare prospect who is a true weapon on special teams."
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2317

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Seven: DeShawn Wynn & Clark Harris

DeShawn Wynn:

Sporting News (fifth round grade): "Shows quickness, vision and instincts. Makes sharp cuts and slides well in traffic. Shows the agility, balance and strength to run through arm tackles. Gets into solid position in pass protection. As a receiver, shows good hands and runs well after the catch. Bottom line: Wynn could be in ideal NFL backup, but to play often, he must land with a team that uses a one-cut, zone blocking scheme."

Street & Smith's: "Good size with thick strong build. Light feet for size. Deceptive speed. Instinctive. Runs with good vision and balance. Effective between the tackles. Able to break tackles and gain yards after initial contact. Has an effective stiff-arm. Smooth change of directions. Patient; allows blocks to develop before accelerating through the hole. Runs north-south. Can make the first defender miss. Able to convert short yardage plays. Protects the ball. Capable receiver out of the backfield. A very powerful runner who packs a major punch. Wynn can also get through the hole and demonstrate quick lateral movement that allows him to get downfield."

Pro Football Weekly (fourth to fifth round grade): "Good feet and vision, particularly for a big man. Shows nice first-step quickness and good cutback skills to see the backside. Has solid hands and overall receiving skills. Could bring the most value as a stretch-zone runner."

nfldraftscout.com: "Has a compact frame with good muscle thickness, good bubble and tapered thighs and calves … Demonstrates very good balance and excellent cutting ability and is a darting runner with the body control to maintain his stride when redirecting to the cutback lanes … Has a decent initial short-area burst, but it is his cutting agility that allows him to get skinny through tight areas … Plants and drives with good pad level and is quick to get through the inside holes …Has the loose hips and ability to shift gears and redirect in an instant … Shows that vision and instinctive feel for the cutback lanes … Creative on the move and has a good feel for the crease … Keeps the ball securely close to his chest when running between tackles and it is rare to see the ball bounce out when he hits the ground … If he rides up on a defender and then changes direction, that opponent struggles to recover. Compares to Stephen Davis, St. Louis … Wynn has excellent vision and cutback ability that let him compensate for a lack of sustained speed...like Davis, it is his cutting ability that lets him get the bulk of his yardage."

Clark Harris:

Street & Smith's: "Experienced and productive three-year starter. Good size. Smooth release. Able to beat the jam. Uses hands well. Runs decent routes. Finds the open areas in zone coverage. Creates some separation. Smooth body control. Will extend hands and catch the ball out away from his body. Can adjust to the ball in the air. Runs well after the catch. Difficult ball-carrier to tackle. Shows effort as a blocker. Durable, will play hurt. Bottom line: Harris runs solid routes and has dependable hands. He will go across the middle with courage and make the difficult catch. He uses his body to screen off defenders and make the play. 'Solid receiver who will find the soft spot in the zone and make the catch,' says an East Coast NFC scout."

Pro Football Weekly: "Good hands and receiving ability in the short and intermediate areas. Smart football player who shows awareness in zones and when adjusting to QB movement when a play breaks down. Runs good routes, particularly for a player with his length, and gets some separation out of his breaks. Shows the ability to uncover against man coverage in the passing game and is experienced and instinctive getting open. Good long-snap skills--can zip a tight spiral with velocity. Has been durable, not missing any games due to injury."

Sporting News (fifth round grade): "Reaches out and catches passes away from his body. Is willing to go across the middle and catch passes in traffic. Runs solid routes and consistently finds dead spots in zones. Works hard as a run blocker."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Has good size and the frame to get bigger...Instinctive and always seems to find ways to get open...Has good hands and will pluck the ball out of the air...Uses his body well...Will work across the middle and sell out to make the catch...Runs good routes...Was pretty productive...Usually gives a good effort..Can also long-snap."

nfldraftscout.com: "Has a tall, thick frame with good overall muscle definition … Alert to soft spots when working into the zone … His size presents an inviting target for the quarterback over the middle of the field … Does a good job of using his size creating mismatches vs. smaller defenders to separate after the catch … Has the body frame to shield the ball from defenders and does a good job of looking the ball in … Shows good effort to secure the ball before running with it, and fumbling is not an issue … Regarded by most as the school's finest tight end prospect since the Marco Battaglia era (1992-95), the four-year starter has been a model of consistency for the Scarlet Knights. Harris compiled a string of 38 consecutive games with at least one reception, the third-longest streak in Big East Conference history. Only three times over the past three season was he held without a reception." __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/packers-simpson-johnson150507.html

Simpson, Johnson seek redemption in Green Bay

If it was "character issues" that scared the Green Bay Packers away from Randy Moss, that squeamishness wasn't evident in their latest free agent signings. Two of the linebackers signed to free-agent contracts last week -- Juwan Simpson from Alabama and Rory Johnson from Ole Miss -- arrived at the Packers' tryout camp with carry-on baggage. Simpson, an Alabama co-captain in his senior year, was arrested prior to the start of last season for possession of marijuana and a stolen handgun. Because of his clean record (he was working on his second degree at the time) and, perhaps, because he was a Crimson Tide star in a state that reveres football, both charges were eventually reduced to the level of community service.

Johnson, meanwhile, tested positive for pot at Hinds (Mississippi) Junior College. Which wouldn't have been that big a deal, except that he also failed a drug test at Ole Miss. "Yeah, I've stopped," Johnson said after the Packers signed him. "I had no choice if I wanted to keep doing what I love doing." (Memo to Ricky Williams). Simpson didn't think his arrest would hurt him in the draft ("Nobody's even mentioned it," he said a few weeks before), and he invited all his friends in Decatur, Ala. to a draft day party. By the end of the second day, the chicken, ribs and banana pudding were gone, but not Simpson. His bash had turned into a wake.

Johnson had 94 tackles in 2006 playing alongside All-American Patrick Willis. Simpson led Alabama with 86 stops, also adding an interception and two tackles for loss. Only a handful of linebackers at the combine had better 40 times than Johnson (4.58), and Simpson was also around 4.5. Size, however, may have played a part in their not being drafted. Johnson weighs a robust 237, but he stands less than 6 feet. Simpson is 6-2, 225, definitely on the smallish side for an NFL 'backer. Moreover, Green Bay is awash in players at their position. Incumbent linebackers Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk aren't going to be dislodged, and Brady Poppinga also started last year. Second-year man Abdul Hodge showed promise as a rookie, although injuries limited his playing time, and Green Bay drafted Korey Hall of Boise State (the WAC Defensive Player of the Year) and Desmond Bishop of Cal. Also in the mix is former Cleveland Brown Ben Taylor.

In evaluating Simpson for the draft, some football people thought he might be a candidate for safety, where the Packers are thinner. For his part, Simpson pointed out that he played special teams all four years at Alabama. Other diamonds in the rough acquired by Green Bay included quarterback Jerry Babb and defensive end Larry Birdine, a two-year starter at Oklahoma.

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2318

Post-Draft Love Fest, UDFA's: Larry Birdine, Rory Johnson, Juwan Simpson

This final installment will focus on some members of the 2007 draft class that were signed hours after the draft ended. As we all know, some good players make a mark in the league, despite going undrafted. Let's take a look at three guys that we're all hoping may turn out to be the next diamonds in the rough.

DE Larry Birdine:

Mel Kiper: "Birdine holds his own against the run and brings a decent pass rush to the table. A decent to average pass rusher, Birdine has some ability coming off the edge. He could be a decent backup defensive end at the pro level."

Sporting News (Sixth round grade): "Displays quickness, speed and instincts. Shows quick club and arm-over pass rush moves; has the agility to spin free from blockers, locate the ball and make plays. Is a strong bull rusher; can jolt linemen and drive them into the quarterback."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Athletic and quick...Has a top-notch motor...Solid tackler...Has a burst to close...Is able to shed blocks effectively...Plays the game with a nasty demeanor...Thrives when he's in space...Relatively productive throughout his career...Nice bloodlines...Cousin of New Orleans Saint offensive tackle Jammal Brown and a half-brother of former NFL linebacker Jason Gildon."

LB Rory Johnson:

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Fluid athlete with above average timed speed...Has outstanding quickness and a burst...Does a nice job in coverage...Instinctive and reacts quickly...A solid tackler and powerful hitter...Has potential as a pass rusher...Was very productive...Plays with a nasty demeanor and killer instinct...Still improving and has a ton of upside."

Pro Football Weekly (Fourth to fifth round grade): "Has above average size and athletic ability. Good straight-line speed and arrives at the ball fast when he sees it. Very good production--finished second on the team in tackles despite not starting the first third of the season. Gives good effort and chases hard. Could have used another year in school (junior who came out early) to mature and may wind up 'redshirting' for an NFL team as he acclimates to the pro game. Clearly has the physical ability to play in the pros, but he will need a patient coach to keep it simple and scheme around him in order for him to produce in the pros."

Sporting News (Fifth round grade): "Is smooth and shows the instincts to sniff out plays quickly. Has the agility and speed to cover tight ends all over the field. When aggressive, shows the hands and strength to shed blockers. Johnson has Day 1 talent but has too many on- and off-field issues to consider him that early."

Mel Kiper: "Johnson is very athletic and he runs extremely well. While teams were focused on locating and neutralizing the more heralded (teammate Patrick) Willis, he got himself in position to make a lot of plays for the Rebels. He has a good nose for the football and gets from point-A to point-B in a hurry. While he was productive in his first year with the Rebels and does have the speed/athleticism you look for, the fact of the matter is that he could have really used another year in the SEC to learn the nuances of the position, and in turn, significantly improve his draft rating. In fact, with another big year in the SEC where he would have moved out of Patrick Willis's shadow, you may have been looking at a 2nd or 3rd round possibility. Right now, he's still a work in progress, figuring as more of a developmental type who needs more seasoning. However, he does have a great deal of natural talent. It will be interesting to see how quickly he progresses in the NFL this coming season."

LB Juwan Simpson:

Sporting News (Third round grade): "Shows burst off the snap and great closing burst on blitzes. Is smooth dropping into the flat in zone coverage. Reads and reacts quickly to screen passes. Is great covering tight ends man-to-man."

Mel Kiper: "Simpson enjoyed the finest season of his college career in 2006, amassing 86 tackles, six tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, and five QB pressures, all career highs. He also added an interception during his senior campaign. Simpson is smart out on the football field and put up consistent numbers for Alabama. At the very least, he should be a good special teams performer with his athleticism and steady play."

Street & Smith's: "Experienced three-year starter. Athletic and has frame to grow. Tough and aggressive; plays with a mean streak. Agile; moves well and has a good change of direction. Moves well through traffic. Closes quickly on the ball carrier. Shows a burst. Big hitter. Gets good, deep drops in zone coverage. Enough speed to run with backs and tight ends in man coverage. Good hands for the interception. Plays sideline-to-sideline. Takes good angles in pursuit. Effective on the blitz. 'He's so athletic that you keep him around because he can make plays against their fastest guy,' says an NFC scout. 'But he really has a long way to go in order to be consistently productive.'"

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Active play-maker with great range...Very fluid in coverage and is a three-down player...Smart and has good football instincts...A very reliable tackler...Productive player who reads and reacts well...Crimson Tide have a strong reputation for sending linebackers to the pros...He has the ability to start on the weakside in the pros."

I know there are some other undrafted free agents...a couple of which made an impression in the recent mini-camp, from what we've heard. These three guys had the most written about them and seemed to be the most highly rated in the pre-draft publications, however.

TopHat
06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Korey Hall isn't even playing LB...he's playing FB.

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packerupdate/

...Don’t be surprised if Korey Hall winds up back on defense in the near future, and such a move would have nothing to do with his performance at the recent minicamp. The ex-Boise State star is simply a better linebacker than many people give him credit for, plus the fullback position has become pretty crowded as of late. Undrafted free agents Corey White and Ryan Powdrell both acquitted themselves quite well last weekend.....

TopHat
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Harrell - Starter, hope he slows up "ALLDAY"
Jackson - plays on third and long, mainly catches checkdown plays
James Jones - #4 WR behind DD, GJ and yes Fergie
Rouse - Starter allong side collins
Barbre - Backup G
Clowney - #5 WR, Returns KO
Hall - Special Teams
Bishop - Special Teams
Crosby - Starter, beats out Rayner in TC
Wynn - #2 back, beats out jackson
Harris - Backup - makes roster

TopHat
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
8-) 8-)

Bretsky
06-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Harrell - Starter, hope he slows up "ALLDAY"
Jackson - plays on third and long, mainly catches checkdown plays
James Jones - #4 WR behind DD, GJ and yes Fergie
Rouse - Starter allong side collins
Barbre - Backup G
Clowney - #5 WR, Returns KO
Hall - Special Teams
Bishop - Special Teams
Crosby - Starter, beats out Rayner in TC
Wynn - #2 back, beats out jackson
Harris - Backup - makes roster

FERGIE ?? FERGIE ?? If he's #3 then TT has flippin failed us

Fergie ? :soap:

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Ruvell Martin is far superior to Ferguson. Hell, Shaun Bodiford is superior to Ferguson. :shock:

Bretsky
06-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Ruvell Martin is far superior to Ferguson. Hell, Shaun Bodiford is superior to Ferguson. :shock:

Not sure I like either that much

But if Martin sends the Fraud home I'm fine with that

The Leaper
06-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Let's be real...4 WRs are on this team week one: Driver, Jennings, Martin and Jones.

After that, you still have Ferguson, Holiday, Bodiford...and Robinson is lurking out there as a future addition as well.

Clowney is going to have to make a tremendous impact on special teams to be someone who is considered as a member of the final roster...because it is unlikely he is going to make much of an impact as a receiver as a rookie being a 5th round pick who is very raw.

The Leaper
06-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Ruvell Martin is far superior to Ferguson.

There is no doubt about that. Martin's size also will guarantee him a spot on the roster unless he completely falls on his face, as we have no other size to be a real threat in the red zone.

OS PA
06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
1 Justin Harrell DT - Perennial Pro-bowler in his later years. DT's just get better with time, and this kid doesn't have knee problems, which is a plus.
2 Brandon Jackson RB - Key back-up for a few seasons, but not a star.
3 James Jones WR - Pro-bowler by his 3rd year, he has two things you can't teach - Hands and toughness.
3 Aaron Rouse S - Back-up - Special Teams, future linebacker back-up for another team.
4 Allen Barbre OT - Back-up Early, Will fill in well for either Tauscher or Clifton.
5 David Clowney WR - Kick-Returner and dime reciever this year... Imagine K-Ro and Clowney returning kicks for us.
6 Korey Hall ILB -Reserve Linebacker and Fullback, special teams player of the year.
6 Desmond Bishop ILB - Practice Squad
6 Mason Crosby PK - Nothings special, will show signs of an all-pro, which will keep him around for a few years, but in the end he'll be a flop.
7 Deshawn Wynn RB - Practice Squad, will be signed away by another team, but will be a deadly 3rd down weapon for another team.
7 Clark Harris TE - Nothing, will be kept around because he was a draft pick, but will be off the team by his third year.

4and12to12and4
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM
DEDICATION: BRETSKY SEARCHING FOR HOLY PACKER TURTLE GRAIL FOUND ON BICYCLE TOUR NEAR MYSTIC LAKE.

http://packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2286

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round One: Justin Harrell.

Mel Kiper: "Harrell was a real disruptive force along the interior of the defensive line. He has good size, quickness and athleticism for a defensive tackle. It's a shame he got hurt, because he was on his way to earning a pretty high grade, perhaps even a top 10-15 overall evaluation. Now he's back to right around 100 percent and has been able to put the injury behind him. Athletic 300+ pounder with the ability to make his presence felt along the interior. When Harrell is in there, he jumps out at you on film."

Pat Kirwan (nfl.com): "I had Justin Harrell going somewhere at this point in the draft because when he regained his health, it demonstrated to the NFL -- with the 35 reps on the bench -- NFL personnel people went back and looked at 2005 game tapes and convinced themselves he was a first-round selection because he has a unique ability to disengage from blockers and make plays in the backfield."

Street & Smith's: "Good size with long arms. Has the size and strength to play two-gap schemes, but may be best suited for a one-gap scheme where he can use his quickness to shoot gaps and make plays in the backfield. Quick off the ball. Stays low and maintains leverage. Agile; good change of direction. Effective against the run and pass. Very strong and powerful. Anchors well. Able to bull rush and collapse the pocket. Disruptive. Does well on line stunts. Instinctive; quick to locate the ball. Moves well through traffic. Closes quickly on the ball carrier. Will play hurt."

Pro Football Weekly: "Very fluid for his size with great functional playing strength. Good athlete. Shows good initial quickness to get into the gaps and disrupt, outstanding strength to stack the point and surprising range to make plays outside the tackle box. Good strength to play the double team. Effective bull rusher who can push the pocket inside and close to the quarterback. Shows good awareness to locate the ball. Reads hats and feels where pressure is coming from. Strong drive-through tackler. Very versatile--plays on the nose and as a three-technique and has the size to line up outside in a 3-4 front."

From nfldraftscout.com: "Has thick upper-body mass with a firm chest, shoulders and good arm-muscle definition. … Has big hips, thick thighs and calves and room on his frame to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness. … Quick and explosive off the snap; even though he was used mostly to occupy multiple blockers at the line of scrimmage, he does a good job of anchoring and clogging up the inside rush lanes. … Has outstanding weight-room strength and is starting to learn how to translate that to the football field. … Does an effective job of combining aggressiveness with strength to create an explosive surge off the snap. … Maintains a low center of gravity to fill the inside lanes. … Will make plays down field and shows good urgency closing on the ball. ... Leader-by-example type who proved his moxie by refusing surgery to play with a ruptured biceps vs. Florida in 2006. … Responsible, mature type who really embraced the leadership role thrust upon him as a senior. … Difficult to handle in one-on-one situations; he will constantly battle until the whistle."

Scout.com: "A hard-working lineman with a lot of physical skill, Harrell could be one of the most underrated players in this draft. Tough, athletic defender who plays with top effort. Gets off the snap with a quick first step, is fluid changing direction and slides off blocks to make the play. Bends his knees, gets leverage on opponents and is rarely off his feet. Flashes power on the inside, gets push in the middle of the line or holds the point. Consistently doubled by opponents."

FootballsFuture.com: "Harrell has all the talent to be a standout defensive tackle at the next level. He has solid size, is a good athlete, and is strong. He is an excellent run stopper, displaying the ability to hold his ground at the point attack and get off blocks to bring down the ball carrier. He also shows the burst to get through the line and has the speed and athleticism to get to the outside and run down the offensive player. You have to love Harrell's attitude as well. After rupturing his bicep against Air Force, he came out and played through the pain against Florida the following week."

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2291

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Two: Brandon Jackson

Gil Brandt (NFL.com): "Jackson has a chance to be the real surprise of this draft, as far as running backs go. He reminds me of Frank Gore and Rudi Johnson. A three-year player at Nebraska who left a year early, he's a complete back. He's a real good receiver; you don't have to take him out in passing situations."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Very good athlete...Plays faster than he times...Great quickness and a burst...Has excellent vision, patience and instincts...Tough, strong and runs hard...He is able to run inside and outside effectively...Shifty...Good balance and changes direction well...Was a productive receiver...Not much mileage on his tires...Big-time upside...A guy who could be underrated because he most certainly has talent and appeared to finally be coming into his own this past season...May have been the top senior running back for 2008 so he could end up being a steal for someone this year."

Mel Kiper: "Jackson hits the hole with authority, showing aggressive running skills. He has good vision, and once he breaks into the clear, he has the speed to hit the home run and go the distance. After just five receptions total in his first two collegiate seasons, Jackson proved in 2006 that he is also adept at catching the ball out of the backfield. He runs hard, plays with heart, and after more than two years of adversity with the shoulder problems and then fighting for playing time, he displayed the kind of drive and character you look for in a player."

Sporting News: "Sees the field well, waits for blocks and makes quick cuts. Adept at bouncing runs outside when the middle is clogged. Has the footwork and agility to get through backside holes. Has the strength and balance to absorb big hits and keep moving forward. Runs through arm tackles. Has good hands and adjusts well to off-target throws. He has the skills to become a starter and the tools to become a punishing runner."

Pro Football Weekly: "Good size. Has good vision to see holes uncover and good cutback skills. Does not lose stride when he cuts back. Runs hard downhill and shows the agility to sidestep tacklers and elude the first tackler. Nice run instincts. Shows enough foot speed to get to the corner and turn up-field. Keeps his shoulders squared to the line. Picks up yardage in chunks. Natural hands and is effective as a route runner. Solid in pass protection and plays alert to pick up the blitz and can pick off defenders. Does not have a lot of tread on his tires. Has kickoff-return ability. Has never been a true feature back, but he has shown he can be effective as a stretch zone runner and could be most effective in an offense such as that of the Texans or Broncos."

Street & Smith's: "Instinctive. Runs with good vision and balance. Effective between the tackles. Smooth change of directions. Good speed; shows the ability to take it the distance from anywhere on the field. Patient; allows blocks to develop before accelerating through the hole. Uses stiff-arm well. Runs north-south. Can bounce the play outside. Elusive; able to create on his own when nothing is there. Consistently makes the first defender miss. Able to convert short-yardage plays. Protects the ball. Capable receiver out of the backfield. Shows some ability as a route runner. Will extend hands and catch the ball out away from his body. Shows blocking ability with good blitz awareness and recognition. Has also been used to return kicks."
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2297

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Three: James Jones & Aaron Rouse

James Jones:

Sporting News: "Is a strong after-the-catch runner who can turn short receptions into touchdowns. Has good, strong hands and the toughness to catch passes on slants and crossing routes with linebackers barreling down on him. Is fearless going up for high passes. Has the quickness to separate and the elusiveness to make the first defenders miss. Bottom line: Jones will probably be a surprise because of his flair for the big play. Look for him to improve with experience and become a quality NFL receiver."

Mel Kiper: "Jones had a nice finish to his career at SJSU and is a little underrated on the national scene. He was a little inconsistent as a sophomore and a junior, but in 2006, he really brought his game together: 70 receptions, 893 yards (12.8 avg), and 10 TDs, all of which led the team. He also averaged 11 yards on 11 punt returns. Jones caught nine passes for 130 yards and three scores against Washington; he gained 134 yards and scored a touchdown on eight receptions in the Utah State game; and he tallied five catches for 105 yards and two TDs against New Mexico in their bowl game. Jones is somewhat intriguing because he finally started to put it all together this past season. He is real strong and he plays faster than he times in workouts. He has the physical talent to compete for a spot and it looked in 2006 like his skills as a wide receiver were coming around as well."

nfldraftscout.com: "The consummate team player, the coaching staff took full advantage of Jones' athletic ability and versatility in 2006. He not only went on to lead the team in receptions, but he also showed a strong throwing arm for the option pass, natural hands to handle punt-return duties and an ability to keep the defenses honest by getting good yardage on the reverse. He went on to score by catching, running and throwing the ball during his final year. The second-team All-Western Athletic Conference choice was named team MVP in 2006. He led the team with a career-high 70 receptions, gaining 893 yards (12.8 avg.) with 10 touchdowns. He rushed 11 times for 76 yards (6.9 avg.) and a score and returned 11 punts for 121 yards (11.0 avg.). He also connected on 2 of 6 passes for 57 yards and a touchdown."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Has adequate height and pretty good bulk...Has very good hands...Is more quick than fast...Tough, strong and physical...Great leaper...Will work the middle of the field...Aggressive with excellent balls skills...Can contribute on special teams in a number of roles...Gamer who'll step up when it counts...Still has some potential...Emerging prospect who really had a breakout season as a senior in 2006...Can also long snap...Has steadily moved up draft boards...He profiles as a backup but could be more...Still underrated but he could be a pleasant surprise for someone."

Rob Rang (USA Today): "He is not a blazer, but the 6-1, 210 pound Jones is physical, runs good routes and catches the ball well; he could be a better pro than college player. What Jones might lack in downfield speed, he makes up for with precision in his route-running and overall strength. Jones repeatedly won battles for the ball, shrugging off smaller, weaker cornerbacks to make big catches."

Aaron Rouse:

Sporting News (rated him a first round prospect): "Reads quarterbacks and breaks quickly to get outside and help cornerbacks on deep routes. Closes quickly on passes in front of him. Shows the athleticism to stay on tight ends' hips all over the field. Is adept at reading quarterbacks' eyes. Does not get sucked in by play-action and has the speed to get to spots in a hurry. Has great burst to finish. When aggressive, makes strong, physical tackles. After missteps in coverage, still can catch up to tight ends. Shows outstanding hands. In two-deep coverage, is adept at cutting underneath post routes for interceptions. Gets outside to help in over-the-top coverage. Is better at run support than most safeties. Has the instincts and speed to chase down runners before they turn the corner. Bottom line: Rouse is productive in all areas--chasing down runners, covering tight ends man-to-man, breaking up and intercepting passes in zone coverage and covering kicks. He will be a good safety who brings as much to the locker room as he does to the field."

Street & Smith's: "Athletic workout warrior with very good size and speed. Long arms. Tough and aggressive. Plays with a mean streak. Enough speed to run with backs and tight ends. Good leaping ability. Shows recovery speed. Closes quickly. Accelerates with a burst. Sideline-to-sideline range. Comes up quickly in run support. Usually a reliable tackler; wraps up the ball carrier. Confident. Durable; will play hurt. Works hard. Bottom line: Rouse runs extremely well and has excellent size, along with great potential that hasn't been fully tapped. If he can get with the right secondary coach, Rouse has a chance to make a name for himself. "If the light goes on for him," says an AFC scout, "he will be special."

Pro Football Weekly: "Outstanding combination of height, weight, and speed. Highly competitive player who hates to lose at anything. Good hands and ball skills to make athletic plays outside of his frame. Has a fairly smooth back pedal and can turn and transition out of it. Can come off the hash and play to the sideline. Has good range. Can be physical and aggressive to defend the run once he sees it. Comes downhill and, at times, strikes with force."

nfldraftscout.com: "The Hokies have been known for their hard-hitting defensive players since Frank Beamer took over as head coach in 1987. The team's coaching staff and almost every opposing offensive coordinator agree -- pound for pound, Rouse was one of the most punishing tacklers to ever wear a Tech uniform."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Has great size and a very solid build...Timed speed is outstanding...Physical and does a great job in the box versus the run...Athletic and a good leaper...Range is adequate and he is able to make plays sideline-to-sideline...Decent tackler with a burst who can really close in a hurry...Nasty and an intimidator who plays with an attitude...Versatile...Has good hands...Is still improving and has a lot of potential...Extremely intriguing prospect to say the least."

Mel Kiper: "Rouse is big and athletic and has great straight-line speed, all impressive qualities for an NFL starter. Rouse definitely has the physical tools to be a factor in the NFL."
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2300

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Four: Allen Barbre

nfldraftcountdown.com: "A fantastic athlete for the position...Mobile with good range...Decent size and the frame to bulk up further...Great strength...A hard worker...Tough and plays with a physical demeanor...Effective as a run and pass blocker...He dominated his level...Division II All-American...A workout warrior who really opened some eyes at the scouting combine...Could also project to guard at the next level...Might thrive in a zone blocking scheme...One of the top sleeper prospects in this draft and he will attempt to follow in the footsteps of guys like Todd Herremans and Kevin Boothe."

Pro Football Weekly: "Is country-strong and solidly built. Shows the ability to dominate at the Division II level. Nice play strength. Can drive defenders off the ball and finish blocks. Takes the game seriously and has a passion for it. Competes hard and flashes some violence in his play. Has overcome a lot of adversity in his life and has the playing demeanor to make it."

Sporting News: "Is a terrific athlete with nice quickness. Can chip defensive tackles, reach the second level and deliver blows to linebackers. Has the speed to pull and lead outside runs and the flexibility to bend his knees and pass block with leverage. Holds his ground well against bull rushers. Barbre has NFL-caliber athleticism and physical tools."

Mel Kiper: "Barbre is fast and very strong in the weight room. His technique still needs some work, but once that improves, that impressive weight room strength will become excellent functional strength on the football field. He can play either guard or tackle, and if he's a guard, he has excellent ability to pull out, trap, and get to the second level of the defense. Barbre could be an interesting guy down the road if he gets tutored with a quality offensive line coach and is given time to develop his game."

Gil Brandt (nfl.com): "He went to a small high school, then red-shirted at Missouri Southern before becoming a four-year starter. Barbre (6-4, 300) ran a 4.64 and had 28 reps. For a player coming out of an NCAA Division II school that doesn't have a weight program, 28 reps is pretty encouraging -- he can really improve on that in an NFL weight program."

nfldraftscout.com: "Has a developing frame with room to add at least another 15 pounds of bulk with no loss in his impressive quickness … Comes out of his stance with outstanding explosion to shock a lethargic defender … Has the loose hips to change direction and plays … Generates good force behind his hand punch to deliver pop on contact … Hard worker who might need several extra reps to retain plays, but spends extra hours in the film room watching tapes and in the weight room improving his overall strength … When he gets his hands into an opponent, he has the raw power to pull, jerk, lock on and drag down … Rolls his hips well to put more force behind his blocks working in-line … Is quick to react to movement and does a good job of shuffling his feet to mirror … Takes the defensive lineman where he wants to go and uses that momentum to wash out his opponent (needs to stop waist bending, though) … Plays with a strong base and solid effort, showing good foot movement in his pass set … Can beat a defender off the edge with his explosive initial step … Does a nice job of communicating with his guard on double teams....Barbre is a developing talent with outstanding quickness and good strength. He has the balance and nimble feet to fire out on the pulls and traps and shows a punishing hand jolt to impede the pass rusher's forward progress. With some patient coaching, he could develop. It is obvious the athletic talent and quick feet are there."

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2303

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Five: David Clowney

Sporting News: "Is a good athlete and has the hands to make difficult catches. Goes after the ball aggressively. Changes direction and separates from defenders quickly. Really accelerates after the catch and can turn short passes into touchdowns. Does not get caught from behind. Works hard at blocking and is tough; returned quickly from appendectomy during the 2006 season. Bottom line: Clowney, who played throughout college with weak quarterbacks, raised his stock during Senior Bowl week. He should become a solid NFL starter with big-play ability."

Gil Brandt (nfl.com): "I thought Clowney (6-0 1/4, 188) had a chance to be a Day 1 pick. He reminds you of Torry Holt."

Street & Smith's: "Athletic, with blazing speed. Quick, smooth release. Uses hands well. Runs good routes. Knows how to set up a defender. Quick in and out of breaks. Elusive and creative in the open field. Accelerates with a burst. Has a knack for the big play. Bottom line: The kind of receiver who can get open when there appears to be no room in the zone or when man-to-man coverage appears to have him boxed in. While Clowney is too skinny and needs to gain weight, he plays and practices as if every play is his last. Really accelerates well after the catch. 'Good receiver who will outwork defenders and make big things happen,' says an AFC personnel director. 'All he needs to do is get a little bit stronger.'"

Pro Football Weekly: "Is quick off the line and into his routes. Shows the ability to separate and stretch the field. Can adjust well to the ball in flight and track it over his shoulder. Catches the ball in his hands and shows some wiggle after the catch. Good athlete with sprinters speed. Is tough for his size and does not shy from contact. Works hard, takes the game seriously and has good football character. Has returned kicks. Was underutilized playing in an offense that rotates its receivers. May be best in the pros as a rotational receiver and has the potential to develop into a solid No. 2 receiver."

scout.com: "Developing receiver with terrific playing speed. Displays sharpness running routes, gets separation from opponents and extends his hands, offering the quarterback a nice target. Nicely adjusts to the errant throw and makes the reception in stride. Displays strong hands and the ability to pull the fastball from the air. Possesses a straight-line burst of speed and beats defenders down field."

nfldraftscout.com: "David Clowney is a two-sport athlete who excelled in track at Virginia Tech and was the lone senior on a young Hokies' receiving unit. The coaching staff was confident that David would take his place among college football's elite in 2006, but the speedy receiver underwent an emergency appendectomy in September that sidetracked his quest to lead Tech in its march for a national title. Clowney has few peers when it comes to gaining separation on deep routes. He might not have the bulk to be a physical type working underneath, but when he makes those over-the-shoulder grabs, he is almost certain to beat his man, thanks to his hard planting agility that lets him slide past the opponent to pick up positive yardage."

FYI: http://mvn.com/nfl-packers/2007/05/30/a-look-at-the-packers-5th-rounder-david-clowney/
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2310

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Six: Korey Hall, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby.

Korey Hall: (Keep in mind that the draft publications profiled him as a linebacker, rather than fullback. But a football player is a football player, right?)

nfldraftscout.com: "Has great leadership ability and is a leader by example that plays on all of the core special teams … Honor Roll student with keen vision and instincts … Plays with a good motor and shows the ball awareness skills to string the plays wide … Has good functional strength at the point of attack … Takes proper angles and maintains body position when engaging the larger blockers … Flashes the ability to jab and jolt with his hands … Has the acceleration to reach the outside to make the cut-off plays … Reads the play quickly and knows how to avoid the low blocks, showing good range … Has the body flexibility, knee bend and lateral agility needed to knife through traffic … His change-of-direction agility allows him to protect himself from outside blocks and make plays on the sidelines … Shows explosion when striking and wrapping … Has the speed to trail and run with the tight end in the short area … Anticipates the pass, avoiding trash as he moves up field to pick up his zone assignment … Displays proper wrap technique when tackling, using his leg drive to push the ball carrier back ... Hall is an all-out hustler willing to do anything to make the play … Few linebackers have the natural hands he displays."

Gil Brandt (nfl.com): "He’s a dynamo with 4.73 speed. He’s a tremendously aggressive guy. I think he will be a great special-teams player."

Stats Inc.: "Hall is an extremely hard worker who will never stop moving towards the ball; will outwork most players in any league ... With the way he works, you might see him taken and do quite well in special teams."

scout.com: "An overachiever who gets the most from his abilities, Hall’s attitude, toughness and football intelligence will help him find a spot at the next level. Omnipresent college linebacker with marginal size/speed numbers. Remains disciplined with assignments and shows top instincts. Aggressive, plays faster than his 40-time and is constantly around the action, making positive plays. Gets depth on drops, effectively uses his hands to protect himself and quickly alters his angle of attack. Stays with cover assignments and fires up the field in run defense."

Desmond Bishop:

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Adequate size and bulk...Reliable tackler...Instinctive and aware...Has a non-stop motor...Does a nice job versus the run...Productive...Tough, strong and plays with an attitude...Hard worker...A leader on the field...He lives and breathes the game."

Mel Kiper: "Bishop is an instinctive kid who plays a little faster with the pads on than he times in workouts. Bishop earned first team All-Pac 10 honors this past season after leading the conference with 126 total tackles. His 15 TFLs led Cal, and he added three sacks, three interceptions, two fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles, and one pass breakup. Bishop reacts well to and diagnoses plays very well, while proving to be a reliable tackler."

Sporting News: "Shows good strength and toughness. Consistently fills holes and takes on lead blockers. Shoots gaps well and makes plays in the backfield. Reads and reacts quickly to screen passes and dump-offs. Is smart and gets teammates aligned correctly. Bottom line: Bishop projects as a great backup who can contribute in short-yardage packages."

Pro Football Weekly: "Has good size. Shows nice instincts. Plays with awareness and makes some plays. Locates the ball quickly. Will step downhill and stack and shed. Uses his hands pretty well. Solid tackler. Gives great effort. Plays tough. Learns quickly and understands the game. Has a passion for the game. Good-sized, strong two-down plugger who is not as big and physical as teams would like, but he is good enough to get the job done and could develop into a solid situational role player."

nfldraftscout.com: "Called the 'pulse' of the Cal defense, Bishop enjoyed a banner senior year, leading the Pac-10 with 126 tackles. A model of consistency, he registered at least seven tackles in 18 of the 25 games he played in for the Bears since transferring from the City College of San Francisco. If you are looking for a physical run stuffer who is great at playing inside the box and taking down the lead blocker to clog the rush lanes, Bishop fits that need. He might be more of a situational short-yardage/ground game-only type of contributor at the next level, but he will punish an opponent with his collision-type tackling ability."

Mason Crosby:

Mel Kiper: "Crosby has a tremendously powerful leg, and he's not just a product of the high altitude in Boulder. This past year, Crosby was a unanimous first team All-American and a member of the All-Big 12 First Team for the third straight year. Crosby came down to Mobile at the Senior Bowl and had an excellent week, booming field goals and never losing his accuracy despite consistently moving farther away from the goal posts. As a kicker, Crosby is second to none, with a great leg and tremendous accuracy. Most importantly, he didn't just do it at the high altitude at home; he connected on a 58-yarder down at sea level in Miami and on one from 60 yards out at Iowa State. His leg is strong enough to kick through swirling winds and still hit the target. Crosby did a great job of elevating the ball and booming it and with range of up to 65 yards, has cemented himself as a second or third round pick."

Pro Football Weekly: "Has excellent leg speed and consistently drives kickoffs through the uprights, even away from Colorado's thin air. Can easily handle kicks inside 55 yards. Good accuracy and great long distance range. Can handle pressure. For a playoff team a kicker away from advancing, Crosby could be drafted as high as any kicker since Sebastian Janikowski (17th overall in 2000)."

Sporting News: "Has a powerful leg; kicks explode off his foot. Gets great distance and can hang kickoffs high to help his coverage units. Attacks the ball. Is consistent and accurate on long field goal attempts. Makes clutch kicks; is especially good in the fourth quarter. Bottom line: Crosby is the best kicker in the 2007 class--a great talent with a powerful, explosive leg. He consistently is accurate from 50 yards and beyond. His mental toughness and ability to deliver in the clutch, even in tough weather conditions, will make him a good early Day 2 pick."

nfldraftscout.com: "When it comes to the art of kicking off, few players in the collegiate or professional ranks boast the leg strength Crosby has. The holder of 31 school game, season and career records, he closed out his tenure as Colorado's all-time scorer with 307 points. While some skeptics cite the thin air in the Mile High City for the success of kickers in the Denver area, Crosby has proven time and again that he can be just as successful at sea level. With his power and follow-through, records at the professional level could soon be in jeopardy. Compares To: Jeff Wilkins, St. Louis -- For consistency, accuracy, leg strength and excellence on kickoffs, few in the league can match Wilkins in those areas. That is, until Crosby earns a job in a 2007 training camp. Don't buy into that line that he has an advantage kicking in a thin air environment. There is no one in the collegiate ranks that can match Crosby's leg strength."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Has an outstanding leg...Can hit from well beyond 50 yards and has a career long of 60...Accurate and rarely misses the ones he's supposed to make...Phenomenal on kickoffs and creates a lot of touch-backs...Clutch and doesn't let pressure affect him...Has a lot of experience...Intangibles are excellent...Can also punt in a pinch...Best kicking prospect to come along since Mike Nugent and might be the highest chosen since Sebastian Janikowski back in 2000...A rare prospect who is a true weapon on special teams."
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2317

Post-Draft Love Fest, Round Seven: DeShawn Wynn & Clark Harris

DeShawn Wynn:

Sporting News (fifth round grade): "Shows quickness, vision and instincts. Makes sharp cuts and slides well in traffic. Shows the agility, balance and strength to run through arm tackles. Gets into solid position in pass protection. As a receiver, shows good hands and runs well after the catch. Bottom line: Wynn could be in ideal NFL backup, but to play often, he must land with a team that uses a one-cut, zone blocking scheme."

Street & Smith's: "Good size with thick strong build. Light feet for size. Deceptive speed. Instinctive. Runs with good vision and balance. Effective between the tackles. Able to break tackles and gain yards after initial contact. Has an effective stiff-arm. Smooth change of directions. Patient; allows blocks to develop before accelerating through the hole. Runs north-south. Can make the first defender miss. Able to convert short yardage plays. Protects the ball. Capable receiver out of the backfield. A very powerful runner who packs a major punch. Wynn can also get through the hole and demonstrate quick lateral movement that allows him to get downfield."

Pro Football Weekly (fourth to fifth round grade): "Good feet and vision, particularly for a big man. Shows nice first-step quickness and good cutback skills to see the backside. Has solid hands and overall receiving skills. Could bring the most value as a stretch-zone runner."

nfldraftscout.com: "Has a compact frame with good muscle thickness, good bubble and tapered thighs and calves … Demonstrates very good balance and excellent cutting ability and is a darting runner with the body control to maintain his stride when redirecting to the cutback lanes … Has a decent initial short-area burst, but it is his cutting agility that allows him to get skinny through tight areas … Plants and drives with good pad level and is quick to get through the inside holes …Has the loose hips and ability to shift gears and redirect in an instant … Shows that vision and instinctive feel for the cutback lanes … Creative on the move and has a good feel for the crease … Keeps the ball securely close to his chest when running between tackles and it is rare to see the ball bounce out when he hits the ground … If he rides up on a defender and then changes direction, that opponent struggles to recover. Compares to Stephen Davis, St. Louis … Wynn has excellent vision and cutback ability that let him compensate for a lack of sustained speed...like Davis, it is his cutting ability that lets him get the bulk of his yardage."

Clark Harris:

Street & Smith's: "Experienced and productive three-year starter. Good size. Smooth release. Able to beat the jam. Uses hands well. Runs decent routes. Finds the open areas in zone coverage. Creates some separation. Smooth body control. Will extend hands and catch the ball out away from his body. Can adjust to the ball in the air. Runs well after the catch. Difficult ball-carrier to tackle. Shows effort as a blocker. Durable, will play hurt. Bottom line: Harris runs solid routes and has dependable hands. He will go across the middle with courage and make the difficult catch. He uses his body to screen off defenders and make the play. 'Solid receiver who will find the soft spot in the zone and make the catch,' says an East Coast NFC scout."

Pro Football Weekly: "Good hands and receiving ability in the short and intermediate areas. Smart football player who shows awareness in zones and when adjusting to QB movement when a play breaks down. Runs good routes, particularly for a player with his length, and gets some separation out of his breaks. Shows the ability to uncover against man coverage in the passing game and is experienced and instinctive getting open. Good long-snap skills--can zip a tight spiral with velocity. Has been durable, not missing any games due to injury."

Sporting News (fifth round grade): "Reaches out and catches passes away from his body. Is willing to go across the middle and catch passes in traffic. Runs solid routes and consistently finds dead spots in zones. Works hard as a run blocker."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Has good size and the frame to get bigger...Instinctive and always seems to find ways to get open...Has good hands and will pluck the ball out of the air...Uses his body well...Will work across the middle and sell out to make the catch...Runs good routes...Was pretty productive...Usually gives a good effort..Can also long-snap."

nfldraftscout.com: "Has a tall, thick frame with good overall muscle definition … Alert to soft spots when working into the zone … His size presents an inviting target for the quarterback over the middle of the field … Does a good job of using his size creating mismatches vs. smaller defenders to separate after the catch … Has the body frame to shield the ball from defenders and does a good job of looking the ball in … Shows good effort to secure the ball before running with it, and fumbling is not an issue … Regarded by most as the school's finest tight end prospect since the Marco Battaglia era (1992-95), the four-year starter has been a model of consistency for the Scarlet Knights. Harris compiled a string of 38 consecutive games with at least one reception, the third-longest streak in Big East Conference history. Only three times over the past three season was he held without a reception." __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/packers-simpson-johnson150507.html

Simpson, Johnson seek redemption in Green Bay

If it was "character issues" that scared the Green Bay Packers away from Randy Moss, that squeamishness wasn't evident in their latest free agent signings. Two of the linebackers signed to free-agent contracts last week -- Juwan Simpson from Alabama and Rory Johnson from Ole Miss -- arrived at the Packers' tryout camp with carry-on baggage. Simpson, an Alabama co-captain in his senior year, was arrested prior to the start of last season for possession of marijuana and a stolen handgun. Because of his clean record (he was working on his second degree at the time) and, perhaps, because he was a Crimson Tide star in a state that reveres football, both charges were eventually reduced to the level of community service.

Johnson, meanwhile, tested positive for pot at Hinds (Mississippi) Junior College. Which wouldn't have been that big a deal, except that he also failed a drug test at Ole Miss. "Yeah, I've stopped," Johnson said after the Packers signed him. "I had no choice if I wanted to keep doing what I love doing." (Memo to Ricky Williams). Simpson didn't think his arrest would hurt him in the draft ("Nobody's even mentioned it," he said a few weeks before), and he invited all his friends in Decatur, Ala. to a draft day party. By the end of the second day, the chicken, ribs and banana pudding were gone, but not Simpson. His bash had turned into a wake.

Johnson had 94 tackles in 2006 playing alongside All-American Patrick Willis. Simpson led Alabama with 86 stops, also adding an interception and two tackles for loss. Only a handful of linebackers at the combine had better 40 times than Johnson (4.58), and Simpson was also around 4.5. Size, however, may have played a part in their not being drafted. Johnson weighs a robust 237, but he stands less than 6 feet. Simpson is 6-2, 225, definitely on the smallish side for an NFL 'backer. Moreover, Green Bay is awash in players at their position. Incumbent linebackers Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk aren't going to be dislodged, and Brady Poppinga also started last year. Second-year man Abdul Hodge showed promise as a rookie, although injuries limited his playing time, and Green Bay drafted Korey Hall of Boise State (the WAC Defensive Player of the Year) and Desmond Bishop of Cal. Also in the mix is former Cleveland Brown Ben Taylor.

In evaluating Simpson for the draft, some football people thought he might be a candidate for safety, where the Packers are thinner. For his part, Simpson pointed out that he played special teams all four years at Alabama. Other diamonds in the rough acquired by Green Bay included quarterback Jerry Babb and defensive end Larry Birdine, a two-year starter at Oklahoma.

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2318

Post-Draft Love Fest, UDFA's: Larry Birdine, Rory Johnson, Juwan Simpson

This final installment will focus on some members of the 2007 draft class that were signed hours after the draft ended. As we all know, some good players make a mark in the league, despite going undrafted. Let's take a look at three guys that we're all hoping may turn out to be the next diamonds in the rough.

DE Larry Birdine:

Mel Kiper: "Birdine holds his own against the run and brings a decent pass rush to the table. A decent to average pass rusher, Birdine has some ability coming off the edge. He could be a decent backup defensive end at the pro level."

Sporting News (Sixth round grade): "Displays quickness, speed and instincts. Shows quick club and arm-over pass rush moves; has the agility to spin free from blockers, locate the ball and make plays. Is a strong bull rusher; can jolt linemen and drive them into the quarterback."

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Athletic and quick...Has a top-notch motor...Solid tackler...Has a burst to close...Is able to shed blocks effectively...Plays the game with a nasty demeanor...Thrives when he's in space...Relatively productive throughout his career...Nice bloodlines...Cousin of New Orleans Saint offensive tackle Jammal Brown and a half-brother of former NFL linebacker Jason Gildon."

LB Rory Johnson:

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Fluid athlete with above average timed speed...Has outstanding quickness and a burst...Does a nice job in coverage...Instinctive and reacts quickly...A solid tackler and powerful hitter...Has potential as a pass rusher...Was very productive...Plays with a nasty demeanor and killer instinct...Still improving and has a ton of upside."

Pro Football Weekly (Fourth to fifth round grade): "Has above average size and athletic ability. Good straight-line speed and arrives at the ball fast when he sees it. Very good production--finished second on the team in tackles despite not starting the first third of the season. Gives good effort and chases hard. Could have used another year in school (junior who came out early) to mature and may wind up 'redshirting' for an NFL team as he acclimates to the pro game. Clearly has the physical ability to play in the pros, but he will need a patient coach to keep it simple and scheme around him in order for him to produce in the pros."

Sporting News (Fifth round grade): "Is smooth and shows the instincts to sniff out plays quickly. Has the agility and speed to cover tight ends all over the field. When aggressive, shows the hands and strength to shed blockers. Johnson has Day 1 talent but has too many on- and off-field issues to consider him that early."

Mel Kiper: "Johnson is very athletic and he runs extremely well. While teams were focused on locating and neutralizing the more heralded (teammate Patrick) Willis, he got himself in position to make a lot of plays for the Rebels. He has a good nose for the football and gets from point-A to point-B in a hurry. While he was productive in his first year with the Rebels and does have the speed/athleticism you look for, the fact of the matter is that he could have really used another year in the SEC to learn the nuances of the position, and in turn, significantly improve his draft rating. In fact, with another big year in the SEC where he would have moved out of Patrick Willis's shadow, you may have been looking at a 2nd or 3rd round possibility. Right now, he's still a work in progress, figuring as more of a developmental type who needs more seasoning. However, he does have a great deal of natural talent. It will be interesting to see how quickly he progresses in the NFL this coming season."

LB Juwan Simpson:

Sporting News (Third round grade): "Shows burst off the snap and great closing burst on blitzes. Is smooth dropping into the flat in zone coverage. Reads and reacts quickly to screen passes. Is great covering tight ends man-to-man."

Mel Kiper: "Simpson enjoyed the finest season of his college career in 2006, amassing 86 tackles, six tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, and five QB pressures, all career highs. He also added an interception during his senior campaign. Simpson is smart out on the football field and put up consistent numbers for Alabama. At the very least, he should be a good special teams performer with his athleticism and steady play."

Street & Smith's: "Experienced three-year starter. Athletic and has frame to grow. Tough and aggressive; plays with a mean streak. Agile; moves well and has a good change of direction. Moves well through traffic. Closes quickly on the ball carrier. Shows a burst. Big hitter. Gets good, deep drops in zone coverage. Enough speed to run with backs and tight ends in man coverage. Good hands for the interception. Plays sideline-to-sideline. Takes good angles in pursuit. Effective on the blitz. 'He's so athletic that you keep him around because he can make plays against their fastest guy,' says an NFC scout. 'But he really has a long way to go in order to be consistently productive.'"

nfldraftcountdown.com: "Active play-maker with great range...Very fluid in coverage and is a three-down player...Smart and has good football instincts...A very reliable tackler...Productive player who reads and reacts well...Crimson Tide have a strong reputation for sending linebackers to the pros...He has the ability to start on the weakside in the pros."

I know there are some other undrafted free agents...a couple of which made an impression in the recent mini-camp, from what we've heard. These three guys had the most written about them and seemed to be the most highly rated in the pre-draft publications, however.

OK, it took me twenty seconds to scroll down this post to post this reply (i had my daughter count mississippi's, so i know for sure!) I don't have the stats to prove this, but my guess is that this could contend for top five in the "longest posts". :wink: j/k tophat, just trying to get a laugh. sorry to everyone for reposting this for absolutely no reason. :oops:

Tarlam!
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
1 Justin Harrell DT - Perennial Pro-bowler in his later years. DT's just get better with time, and this kid doesn't have knee problems, which is a plus.
2 Brandon Jackson RB - Key back-up for a few seasons, but not a star.
3 James Jones WR - Pro-bowler by his 3rd year, he has two things you can't teach - Hands and toughness.
3 Aaron Rouse S - Back-up - Special Teams, future linebacker back-up for another team.
4 Allen Barbre OT - Back-up Early, Will fill in well for either Tauscher or Clifton.
5 David Clowney WR - Kick-Returner and dime reciever this year... Imagine K-Ro and Clowney returning kicks for us.
6 Korey Hall ILB -Reserve Linebacker and Fullback, special teams player of the year.
6 Desmond Bishop ILB - Practice Squad
6 Mason Crosby PK - Nothings special, will show signs of an all-pro, which will keep him around for a few years, but in the end he'll be a flop.
7 Deshawn Wynn RB - Practice Squad, will be signed away by another team, but will be a deadly 3rd down weapon for another team.
7 Clark Harris TE - Nothing, will be kept around because he was a draft pick, but will be off the team by his third year.

Too much cynasism here. I think TT did his homework and maybe 2 players don't become stars. Whever they are...

TopHat
06-08-2007, 11:30 AM
How will WR David Clowney's rookie season pan out?

He'll be a key reserve. 52.9%

He'll start 4.6%

He'll earn Pro Bowl.... 3.6%

He'll ride the bench 30.0%

He'll be cut 9%

TopHat
06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
8-) 8-)

TopHat
06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
1 Justin Harrell DT - Potential Starter but I see Corey Williams starting
2 Brandon Jackson RB - Potential Starter but I see Vernand Morency starting
3 James Jones WR - #3 WR
3 Aaron Rouse S - I think he'll start
4 Allen Barbre OT - backup
5 David Clowney WR - #4 WR but I think he'll have a bigger impact than Jones.
6 Korey Hall ILB - Cut
6 Desmond Bishop ILB - makes on special teams
6 Mason Crosby PK - will be our kicker this year
7 Deshawn Wynn RB - Cut
7 Clark Harris TE - Practice Squad

TopHat
06-08-2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/06/08/1/

Packers Sign Draft Pick Rouse

The Green Bay Packers Friday signed safety Aaron Rouse...Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson made the announcement. Rouse, a 6-foot-4, 223-pound rookie from Virginia Tech, is the second of 11 selections to sign with the team. Chosen in the third round (89th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft, he joins college teammate David Clowney, a fifth-round pick signed Monday, as the first rookies under contract. Beginning his collegiate career at linebacker, Rouse made the switch to strong safety as a junior. In 2006, he earned the team's President Award, given to the most outstanding leader on defense. In 52 games at Virginia Tech, he made 24 starts and recorded 217 tackles and five interceptions.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TopHat
06-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Bump.

TopHat
06-09-2007, 01:55 AM
DT Harrell - Anything other than him starting is a disappointment. Having 2 of our previous 3 first rounders not being starters would be a cause for concern. I think he'll be starting, and that is why the Packers are being so careful in not over working him early on, and unnecessarily re-injuring him.

RB Jackson - He'll be the #2 guy behind Morency, but I have a feeling he won't stay down for too long. He just has something about him which I love, and I say before the year is out, he'll be the guy at RB.

WR Jones - #3 WR that will improve our red zone efficiency. Will add a toughness aspect to our receiving depth that we've lacked.

SS Rouse - Will be a backup at SS, and a ST demon. Won't start this year, but he will keep Manuel on his toes and constantly looking over his shoulder.

OT Barbre - back-up at the LG spot, with him eventually becoming a starter (I'm guessing long-term plan includes moving Colledge to LT).

WR Clowney - #5 or #6 WR that will be a deep threat, and a project player. I think he will be the KR this year, at least for the first few weeks until K-Rob returns.

LB/FB Hall - PS player that will gain more reps at FB in the hopes that he becomes a good one.

LB Bishop - makes roster as #5 LB and ST player. Will impact the STs in a positive way while he adjust to the NFL game at the LB position. Should provide competition for Popp in a couple of years.

K Crosby - Will be cut, and picked up by another team.

RB Wynn - PS player that will be a serious contender for a RB spot next season (unless he gets picked up off PS sometime during the year).

TE Clark - Cut, doesn't have skills to compete at TE on this level.

TopHat
06-09-2007, 08:16 AM
1 Justin Harrell DT - 50% playing time this year, next year 70%
2 Brandon Jackson RB - splitting time with Morency and one more back
3 James Jones WR - hard to guess, I will say 4th WR
3 Aaron Rouse S - special teams guy, Needs a year of seasoning then starts or gone.
4 Allen Barbre OT - backup - every year they pick up some guy to be the left tackle behind clifton/tauscher may never see the field.
5 David Clowney WR - small fast guy, past history of these types suggests he may not make the team.
6 Korey Hall ILB - Cut, to much moving around.
6 Desmond Bishop ILB - makes on special teams
6 Mason Crosby PK - Cut, picks up and kicks for another team.
7 Deshawn Wynn RB - Cut
7 Clark Harris TE - Practice Squad

MJZiggy
06-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Do you have sources for these?

TopHat
06-09-2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/gallery.aspx?catid=626

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=galleryindex

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1007/rouse2yr9.jpg Rouse

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3995/clowney3fz0.jpg Clowney

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1020/joneshn8.jpg Jones

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3787/crosbyzh6.jpg Crosby

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4280/jwxz0.jpg Harrell

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3623/clarkharrishd2.jpg Harris

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5201/brandonjacksonel9.jpg Jackson

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6968/allenbarbreql4.jpg Barbre

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/554/rookiesmj9.jpg Rookies

Fritz
06-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Everybody makes the team except for Hall, Wynn, and Harris. Hall and Wynn get signed to the practice squad, but both are later unceremoniously dumped when Ted signs a 6'-2" 298 lb center from North Dakota Tech, and a 6"-5" 240 lb tight end from Virginia Southern.

The big question is whether MM has the cojones to go with a rookie kicker. Rayner's got leg strength, too, so it will come down to who's the most accurate.

TopHat
06-09-2007, 10:36 PM
NICKNAMES FOR ROOKIES:

Justin "The Barrel" Harrel
Brandon "Action" Jackson
James "Smooth JJ" Jones
Aaron "Bringing the House Down" Rouse
Allen "Ken" Barbre
David "Homey D" Clowney
Korey "Play Either Way" Hall
Desmond "House of Pain" Bishop
Mason "No Nick Name" Crosby