PDA

View Full Version : P Jon Ryan loses a step in hopes of improving consistency

woodbuck27
06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070607/PKR01/706070502/1989&located=FLASH

Posted June 7, 2007

Ryan takes two steps to success

Second-year punter loses a step in hopes of improving consistency

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

For 18 years, Jon Ryan punted pretty much the same way — catch the ball, take three steps and fire away.

"I've been a three-step punter since I was 7 years old," the 25-year-old said.

In the last five months, the Green Bay Packers' punter has undergone an overhaul of his mechanics. In that time, Ryan eliminated one step from his approach, and he believes the change will make him more consistent than he was last season.

"It's still a work in progress," Ryan said last week when the Packers opened their organized team activity workouts.

"But I really like how it feels so far."

The transformation into a two-step punter was born out of a season wrap-up meeting with special-teams coordinator Mike Stock only days after Ryan finished his first season as an NFL punter.

The strong-legged Ryan, a former CFL standout, ranked ninth in the NFL in average (44.5 yards) but was tied for 26th in net average (35.7), in part because his hang times were inconsistent.

In Stock's evaluation of Ryan, he determined the change in mechanics was the best way for his punter to improve his hang times.

"It was Coach Stock's idea, but I recognized last year there were times when I could have been more consistent," Ryan said.

"If you look at it on film, my steps were getting too long, and I was too out of control. We thought if I could eliminate that first step and just take two steps, everything would be more compact and more consistent."

So, Ryan left Green Bay after the season and began the change five months ago, when he began his offseason workouts at home in Canada on Jan. 6.

He resumed his work with Stock when the Packers' offseason program began on March 19.

"It's a big change, but I think I put enough hours into it this offseason that the more I reps I got, the more comfortable I got," Ryan said.

"I'd say I'm about 90 percent comfortable with it. I think it will increase hang time. I don't think power is my problem. It's just harnessing that power a little bit more and trying to be more consistent."

Changing a punter's steps can be a difficult task. When the Packers picked B.J. Sander in the third round of the 2004 draft, he struggled so badly during his rookie training camp that they tried to get him to shorten his steps. John Bonamego, then the Packers' special-teams coach, thought Sander's 2½-step motion might not allow him to get the ball off fast enough, so he tried to get Sander to change to what he called a 2¼-step delivery.

Sander, who didn't play as a rookie, never fully grasped that technique and struggled in 2005 — his only season as the Packers' punter. He has not kicked in the NFL since.

Ryan doesn't believe the change will cause him problems.

"I feel more comfortable with this than I did last year at this time with the three steps," Ryan said.

"Hopefully, that's going to show come training camp and during the season that I worked on it and improved a lot."

It showed last Thursday, when Ryan punted "live" with his new motion for the first time during a team (11-on-11) setting.

During a pair of special-teams periods, Ryan punted from the opponent's 45-yard line into a slight wind. The goal of the drill was to kick directionally — once left and once right — and pin the opposing team deep in its territory.

In 16 punts in the first period, Ryan had 13 inside the 20 (including five inside the 10) and two touchbacks.

In the second period, Ryan kicked 10 times and had eight inside the 20 (including four inside the 10) and one touchback.

After last week's session, Ryan said he was pleased with the results.

"It's more mental than anything, believing that you can still get the same amount of power with shorter strides," Ryan said.

"The toughest thing is just getting over that mental hurdle. Once you get over that, you're fine."

The only other punter on the Packers' roster is Australian David Lonie, who was in training camp with the Washington Redskins last year but never has appeared in an NFL regular-season game.

Lonie looked shaky early in last week's practice but improved as the session went on.

"We need to be more consistent in the punting," coach Mike McCarthy said during the Packers' last minicamp.

"That's something we addressed in our team goals for the upcoming year."

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
I really appreciate the way you highlight the important things in bold. It really makes it easier and quicker to read. Thanks a lot.

Great news about Ryan. I hope he ends up being one of Ted's good finds.

packrulz
06-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I know they tried tried to change BJ's steps and it didn't work but he never seemed to have much confidence either. Watching Ryan last year and knowing what he was going through with his father's health makes me want to pull for him a bit. A few of his punts were line drives and some were booming 60 yarders, I think he has the confidence and a great leg strength to boot, (pun intended), and if he can be more consistent he'll make people stop wondering why Wolf wouldn't give Craig Hentrich $1mil/yr, that still baffles me.

Tarlam!
06-07-2007, 03:59 PM
As we say down under "Come on Aussie, c'mon c'mon, come on Aussie c'mon".

I admit, that sounds better when you hear the tune that is supposed to go with the cry!

KYPack
06-07-2007, 04:02 PM

I admit, that sounds better when you hear the tune that is supposed to go with the cry!

Thought it was " Go Aussie, go, & take Tarlem with ya"!

Tarlam!
06-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Thought it was " Go Aussie, go, & take Tarlem with ya"!

Nice one Shep!

There was a GREAT Aussie Rules Football quote that was "Up there Gazalie", but "there" was switched for "their" if you know what I am saying. Gazalie was a beast!

Turned out to be a fighting song....

KYPack
06-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Back on topic here. I'd like to see 'em do anything that stops Ryan from hitting those liners. He led the league in yds returned average. Many of those liners got run back for big yardage.

Changing his step count could screw him up big time. I think he needs to quicken his pace. Ryan's got a big time leg, he needs to improve his technique.

Tarlam!
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Back on topic here. ()Changing his step count could screw him up big time.

Obviously, the staff hate Canadian punters, and want an Aussie instead. They are mapping it all out for Ryan as we tipe.

Tough is only, he won the tough guy award and the guys in the front office are concerned about PR - especially with woodrow.

4and12to12and4
06-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Back on topic here. I'd like to see 'em do anything that stops Ryan from hitting those liners. He led the league in yds returned average. Many of those liners got run back for big yardage.

Changing his step count could screw him up big time. I think he needs to quicken his pace. Ryan's got a big time leg, he needs to improve his technique.

Yeah, but he did have to kick to Hester twice, which probably fucked up his average a bit. Oh, wait, Hester didn't do shit in the final game, we clamped him down good. That reminds me, i still have that game TVO'd, maybe I'll watch it for the twentieth time this offseason. :D

Fritz
06-09-2007, 09:19 AM
If this two step thing doesn't work, Ryan will be singing that old Lynrd Skynrd song, "Gimme Three Steps."

Geezuz, this better work. If it doesn't, the Pack will get stuck with another Louie Aguilar. OPr maybe the actual Louie Aguilar.

MJZiggy
06-09-2007, 09:21 AM
If this two step thing doesn't work, Ryan will be singing that old Lynrd Skynrd song, "Gimme Three Steps."

Geezuz, this better work. If it doesn't, the Pack will get stuck with another Louie Aguilar. OPr maybe the actual Louie Aguilar.

I like that song. But what was Linda Lou talking to him for in the first place?

pbmax
06-09-2007, 10:26 AM
She wasn't just talking Ziggy, she was dancing. Probably worse than just talking from the point of view of the "man who cares".

But really, is there any need for gunplay? :shock:

I like that song. But what was Linda Lou talking to him for in the first place?

Patler
06-09-2007, 10:51 AM
One of the reasons that punters commonly bounce around for several years before they stick with a team is that most have to change their approach radically from what they used in college. Must of them try to decrease their steps, have to learn to catch the ball while already stepping forward and drop the ball from a different spot. As a resullt, they are inconsistent for a few years.

Joemailman
06-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Can you say, "Ingle Martin"?

Actually, I'm pretty confident this can work. He seems pretty tough mentally, and even if cutting a step costs him a little power, he still has plenty to spare.

BallHawk
06-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Ryan's a great guy and I wish him nothing but the best, but man, he's a real pain to listen to in interviews. He's got a real bad speech defect.

HarveyWallbangers
06-09-2007, 11:20 PM
She wasn't just talking Ziggy, she was dancing. Probably worse than just talking from the point of view of the "man who cares".

But really, is there any need for gunplay?

Apparently, the song was based on a true story involving Ronnie.

Tarlam!
06-10-2007, 04:37 AM
...have to learn to catch the ball while already stepping forward and drop the ball from a different spot....

This is something that every Aussie kid playing Rugby or Aussie Rules learns aged 5 years. It is an integral part of our games. So is being attacked by 6-8 guys while you're trying to get the ball off your foot. That's a part of it, too!

The thing Aussies struggle with is the ball used in Gridiron. Especially with the change to the K-Ball.

I love Jon Ryan, but I still hope an Aussie beats him out. If it were anyone else in the punting comp, I would be for Jon all the way.

KYPack
06-10-2007, 07:15 AM

The incident happened to Ronnie in Jacksonville ( the boys hometown ). Ronnie asked the best looking girl in a bar to slow dance. In the middle of the song, a huge county dude pulled a gun on Ronnie and threatened to shoot him for dancing with his woman.

The crowd opened up and Van Zandt told the guy, "Buddy if you shoot me, you're gonna have to hit me in the asshole or the elbow". With that, Ronnie VZ ran out the back door of the joint. This incident was a favorite story with the boys in the band & after a couple years, they made a tune out of it.

MJZiggy
06-10-2007, 07:56 AM

The incident happened to Ronnie in Jacksonville ( the boys hometown ). Ronnie asked the best looking girl in a bar to slow dance. In the middle of the song, a huge county dude pulled a gun on Ronnie and threatened to shoot him for dancing with his woman.

The crowd opened up and Van Zandt told the guy, "Buddy if you shoot me, you're gonna have to hit me in the asshole or the elbow". With that, Ronnie VZ ran out the back door of the joint. This incident was a favorite story with the boys in the band & after a couple years, they made a tune out of it.

But I don't get it. Why shoot him when he should have been pissed at her?

KYPack
06-10-2007, 10:26 AM

He didn't shoot him.

In both the song and the real life incident, the guy screamed at his woman...

"Well the crowd cleared away
And I began to pray
As the water fell on the floor.
And Im telling you son,
Well, it aint no fun
Staring straight down a forty-four.
Well he turned and screamed at linda lu
And thats the break I was looking for.
And you could hear me screaming a mile away
As I was headed out towards the door."

Ronnie made it out the door both times, for real and in his song.

He wasn't as successful with airplanes, unfortunately.

Merlin
06-11-2007, 08:55 AM
I think blaming poor punt coverage on the Ryan is like giving a chimp a gun and when he shoots someone, blaming the chimp. Face it, our special teams suck ass and have for several years now. Blaming Ryan who came from the CFL where booming the ball 60+ yards on a rope is how the game is played is moronic.

Place the blame where it needs to be placed, TT. Not only has he done zero for the offense, what has he done for special teams (and don't say let BJ go because any "chimp" would have done at least that). I love the hell out of Ryan and I hope they get it figured out, but when you have the Taco Wallace of special teams coaches in the NFL, a new coaching staff and a team full of rookies with a punter who grew up playing a different variation of the game, blaming the "chimps" is just plain wrong!

MJZiggy
06-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Learn something new every day. I had no idea TT could punt. Weren't half the players he drafted this offseason supposed to be decent ST players? That's the one positive I heard over all the complaining, was that at least he addressed special teams... :|

Merlin
06-11-2007, 09:32 AM
"Special Teams" is an excuse when you reach to draft someone who has little talent. From what I hear from training camp, no one can catch the damn punts, not even the veterans. Filling your special teams with all rookies is pretty smart football, if you play in NFLE. So is picking up a punter from the CFL and expecting him to be an NFL punter out of the gate. When the CFL punter fails to make the adjustments because the coaches you hired to teach him take a year to make adjustments and then saying it's the punters fault for the high return yards is ludicrous. Try the coaches who are there to teach him, the coaches who decide who plays on special teams, the guy who hires the coaches, the guy who evaluates the talent and then drafts such talent. So yeah, TT does punt, a lot.

Tarlam!
06-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I have a sneaking suspician, though I am not 100% sure, that Merlin is NOT a TT supporter. In fact, he might be considered anti-TT.

This is just a hunch, mind....

woodbuck27
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
I have a sneaking suspician, though I am not 100% sure, that Merlin is NOT a TT supporter. In fact, he might be considered anti-TT.

This is just a hunch, mind....

He's certainly then,

Observant and accurate in his assessments. :)

Tarlam!
06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
He's certainly then, ()Observant and accurate in his assessments()

That's an opinion. It's like an asshole, everyone has one.

Zool
06-11-2007, 03:25 PM

That's an opinion. It's like an asshole, everyone has one.If I were drinking milk right now, it would have come out my nose.

MJZiggy
06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
"Special Teams" is an excuse when you reach to draft someone who has little talent. From what I hear from training camp, no one can catch the damn punts, not even the veterans. Filling your special teams with all rookies is pretty smart football, if you play in NFLE. So is picking up a punter from the CFL and expecting him to be an NFL punter out of the gate. When the CFL punter fails to make the adjustments because the coaches you hired to teach him take a year to make adjustments and then saying it's the punters fault for the high return yards is ludicrous. Try the coaches who are there to teach him, the coaches who decide who plays on special teams, the guy who hires the coaches, the guy who evaluates the talent and then drafts such talent. So yeah, TT does punt, a lot.

Tell it to Devin Hester...

Creepy
06-13-2007, 07:27 AM
What punter should have TT gotten last year? Was there a good/great punter available? Don't remember any, and not every punt returned was a line drive. I recall somne long returns because gunners missed or the PR broke their tackle.

Ryan had some good and some bad punts and it is expected in a rookie. In the CFL they have more room to kick and there are is no fair catches. The KR has a 5 yard cussion to start his return. So booming line drives are used to make the KR chase the ball. In the NFL hang time is more importatnt as it allows the ST to get under the ball.

I think Ryna did a decent job for a rookie, this year he needs to take it to a higher level and if he loses 1/2 yards per kick, but increases his hang time so he incraeses his Net by 2/3 yards i will be satisfied.

Fritz
06-13-2007, 09:29 AM

Ziggy, you clearly are not from the south. In the south, back in the day, women were - in public - sometimes seen as possessions. Thus, while the guy could and did blame Linda Lou later, his first obligation was to make it clear to Ronnie that his possessions, in this case Linda Lou, were not to be messed with.

But it makes you wonder if Linda Lou wanted to see some fireworks. If she knew her man had a temper and a gun, and she still consented to a slow dance with Ronnie, well, it makes you wonder what she wanted, exactly.

KYPack
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
What punter should have TT gotten last year? Was there a good/great punter available? Don't remember any, and not every punt returned was a line drive. I recall somne long returns because gunners missed or the PR broke their tackle.

Ryan had some good and some bad punts and it is expected in a rookie. In the CFL they have more room to kick and there are is no fair catches. The KR has a 5 yard cussion to start his return. So booming line drives are used to make the KR chase the ball. In the NFL hang time is more importatnt as it allows the ST to get under the ball.

I think Ryna did a decent job for a rookie, this year he needs to take it to a higher level and if he loses 1/2 yards per kick, but increases his hang time so he incraeses his Net by 2/3 yards i will be satisfied.

At's about right, Creepy.

The kid did OK for a rook, but he's got to step it up to stay.

I just noticed I have hijacked this thread and put it back OT twice!@

MJZiggy
06-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I just noticed I have hijacked this thread and put it back OT twice!@

That's just cause the "Linda Lou" attitude is interesting. I think Ryan will be fine. It will be a good challenge from the Aussie, but he'll have to learn to hold as well, won't he? I thought Ryan was a good holder last season (either that or he had a kicker unwilling to blame him for bad kicks...) There will be lots of interesting legs in camp this summer.

packinpatland
06-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Tell it to Devin Hester...

Just watched 'Invincible'..... again. GO SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

woodbuck27
06-14-2007, 01:55 PM

That's an opinion. It's like an asshole, everyone has one.

Then with that personal observation or degree of knowledge you'll certainly appreciate this Tarlam.

A suggestion just for you:

Try listening very carefully for the POP.

That. . . would be. . . the sound of your head coming out of yours. :)

swede
06-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I think blaming poor punt coverage on the Ryan is like giving a chimp a gun and when he shoots someone, blaming the chimp.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/chimpglock.jpg

Somehow, any discussion becomes more interesting to me when the subject of chimps and guns gets brought up.

Neither the chimp nor I could follow the analogy but we liked it anyway for obvious reasons.

Partial
06-14-2007, 06:18 PM
I think blaming poor punt coverage on the Ryan is like giving a chimp a gun and when he shoots someone, blaming the chimp.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/chimpglock.jpg

Somehow, any discussion becomes more interesting to me when the subject of chimps and guns gets brought up.

Neither the chimp nor I could follow the analogy but we liked it anyway for obvious reasons.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Ryan uses offseason to work on two-step punts
By Tom Pelissero

For nearly seven months, Jon Ryan worked on his steps.

He watched tapes of Chicago’s Brad Maynard and Tennessee’s Craig Hentrich.

He did everything possible to ensure he had mastered the two-step punting technique.

Then came the first day of training camp, and just like that, the old third step was back.

“Once you get that rush coming at you, it feels more like a game, and everything kind of went back to what I was comfortable with,” Ryan said this week. “I didn’t even know at the time. Then, I watched the film, and I wanted to hit myself.”

“I’m saying, ‘You’ve got to be (kidding) me,’” special teams coordinator Mike Stock recalled. “You talk about muscle memory. He reverted.”

Since that first day, though, Ryan has been consistent — both in his approach and his results.

On 54 punts in team periods during training camp, Ryan has averaged 50.5 yards and 4.64 seconds of hang time. Not bad for a second-year pro who had relied on Step No. 3 since he was 7 years old.

“I feel like I’m hitting the ball better than I did … any point last year, and a lot more consistent, too,” Ryan said. “I’m totally comfortable with (the new technique), and I’m looking forward to seeing where it’s going to take us.”

Stock suggested the change in January, after Ryan finished ninth in the NFL in gross average (44.5 yards) but tied for 26th in net (35.7), in part because of inconsistent hang time.

The change moved him farther from the line of scrimmage — from 9 or 9½ yards to 10½ or 11 yards — making it more difficult to rush him. It also shortened his stride.

“With three steps, he was always so far outstretched that he was always reaching for the ball and he couldn’t get it up,” Stock said. “He could get it out, but he couldn’t get up and out. Now, he’s got a chance to lift it and hit it for distance and hang time.”

A year’s experience on the narrower NFL field also should help Ryan, who played college football in his native Saskatchewan and set a Canadian Football League record with a 50.6-yard gross punting average in 2005.

So would a year without personal turmoil. Ryan’s father, Bob, died of cancer late last season.

“Even last year, you could (barely) tell,” Stock said. “This guy is tough. Pretty steely guy.”

The Packers decided not to bring in a veteran option in the offseason, and so far, that decision seems like a sage one. Ryan’s original competition in camp, David Lonie, landed on injured reserve with an ankle injury. Newcomer Ryan Dougherty has shown improvement, but Ryan has kicked better, and there’s no reason to think he’ll mount a challenge, either.

Ryan admits he has set “a lot of goals” personally for this season. For now, though, he’s not sharing.

“They’re kind of things I keep to myself until I achieve them,” Ryan said. “Then I’ll be sure to tell you guys all about them.”

Terry
08-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I know they tried tried to change BJ's steps and it didn't work but he never seemed to have much confidence either. Watching Ryan last year and knowing what he was going through with his father's health makes me want to pull for him a bit. A few of his punts were line drives and some were booming 60 yarders, I think he has the confidence and a great leg strength to boot, (pun intended), and if he can be more consistent he'll make people stop wondering why Wolf wouldn't give Craig Hentrich $1mil/yr, that still baffles me.
Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the huge difference between the two was that Ryan had the time to get comfortable just being on the team, getting on the field, and punting in the NFL before they went to work on his technique.

I think with BJ that his technique was being micromanaged from the first day he arrived in training camp. He never had the chance to find his feet, so to speak (no pun intended). Big mistake, imo, and a disaster perhaps for BJ.

I felt the same way about that punt returner a while back - I've forgotten his name - who caught everything with his body. I was praying for them to just let the guy play a bit in preseason, so they could see what they had in a returner, plus letting the guy have a bit of time to get comfortable just being in the NFL in the first place, so he could build a tiny bit of confidence.

woodbuck27
08-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the huge difference between the two was that Ryan had the time to get comfortable just being on the team, getting on the field, and punting in the NFL before they went to work on his technique.

I think with BJ that his technique was being micromanaged from the first day he arrived in training camp. He never had the chance to find his feet, so to speak (no pun intended). Big mistake, imo, and a disaster perhaps for BJ.

I felt the same way about that punt returner a while back - I've forgotten his name - who caught everything with his body. I was praying for them to just let the guy play a bit in preseason, so they could see what they had in a returner, plus letting the guy have a bit of time to get comfortable just being in the NFL in the first place, so he could build a tiny bit of confidence.

Are you referring to Cory Rodgers Terry? Our 4th round pick in 2006.

He's playing in the CFL at present. Been handling it up here to date.

By the way. Good to see you post Terry. :glug: