PDA

View Full Version : GREEN BAY'S SECOND ROUND SELECTIONS

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm a bit baffled by TT as usual. We are a 4-12 team. It should be the expectation that these guys should come in and start IMO based on the quality of our team.

We drafted an OT who lacks some strength when one of the top NFL OG prospects in Chris Chester was available for the taking.

Then we probably reached for a small school WR who may contribute, but gosh, just doesn't seem that NFL ready when a guy like Demetrius Williams was available.

I get the feeling it's impossible to predict anything TT will do after round one.

BUT TT is expected to get at LEAST 3 Quality starters from this draft. We aren't doing these multiple trades to build depth that can compete. TT had a chance to draft the top or #2 WR in this draft, and if his trade down produces a project in Greg Jennings and more depth then he is failing us.

3 Solid Starters TT

ANYTHING LESS and all your fiddleshit will be a failure.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Good post, bretsky, but Thompson IS failing us already.

Merlin
04-29-2006, 06:51 PM
I agree, I don't know what he is doing.

mraynrand
04-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Bretsky: TT is drafting guys that can play the game. I saw Jennings play. The guy is a solid, mature WR. He doesn't drop passes, he gets off blocks and runs great routes to get open. He doesn't wait for the ball to come to him - he's always moving to finish, catches away from his body, etc. Reminds me of David Givens.

How can you fault TT for drafting a speedy blocking (probably G) from the North Pole??! GB will seem downright BALMY for this guy!!

oregonpackfan
04-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Then we probably reached for a small school WR who may contribute, but gosh, just doesn't seem that NFL ready when a guy like Demetrius Williams was available.

Bretsky,

There was a WR named Jerry Rice from a small school who did "Fairly" in the pros.

Oregonpackfan

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 07:14 PM
3 Solid Starters TT

By what year?

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
3 Solid Starters TT

By what year?

I want three immediate starters in year one Scott. We have so many holes and with picking as high as we are this will be very realistic. FWIW my gut tells me TT has found at least one at LB and OG so far, and it would not surprise me at all with the pick of Hodge if we have our three already. As much as I hated round 2, I do like round three so far.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 08:02 PM
I want three immediate starters in year one Scott. We have so many holes and with picking as high as we are this will be very realistic. FWIW my gut tells me TT has found at least one at LB and OG so far, and it would not surprise me at all with the pick of Hodge if we have our three already. As much as I hated round 2, I do like round three so far.

Maybe by mid year. That's a lot to ask coming out of training camp.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Bretsky, I think your expectations are unrealistic. When was the last time a team - any team - had three rookie starters (not by default, like injuries to those ahead)??

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Bretsky, I think your expectations are unrealistic. When was the last time a team - any team - had three rookie starters (not by default, like injuries to those ahead)??

FRITZ,

I think the last time we were 4-12 we had three starters out of the draft.

This is a very deep draft and we are quite short on talent. By Mid year I'd be surprised if at least 3 are not starting. That says just as much about our bottom level starters as it does about our draft.

C OG OG LB LB

We could have three new starters from just those postions from the draft.

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
I think 2 starters right away is practical. I expect 5 starters total over time. If not, Thompson failed. Oh yeah.....Hawk better be a fucking star.

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 08:07 PM
I think 2 starters right away is practical. I expect 5 starters total over time. If not, Thompson failed. Oh yeah.....Hawk better be a fucking star.

HAWK as a starter is a given.

We had two more top 2nd round picks and TT chose to trade down.

He certainly could have drafted solid starters there, but he chose to trade down.

It may be a challenge, but I want to see 2 of the 4 picks he received from those start.............and I sure hope we don't regret trading the pick used to take Chad Jackson.

Patler
04-29-2006, 08:11 PM

He has already brought in 5 new starters on defense, four via free agency and one by the draft.

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm a bit baffled by TT as usual. We are a 4-12 team. It should be the expectation that these guys should come in and start IMO based on the quality of our team.

We drafted an OT who lacks some strength when one of the top NFL OG prospects in Chris Chester was available for the taking.

I get the feeling it's impossible to predict anything TT will do after round one.

BUT TT is expected to get at LEAST 3 Quality starters from this draft. We aren't doing these multiple trades to build depth that can compete. TT had a chance to draft the top or #2 WR in this draft, and if his trade down produces a project in Greg Jennings and more depth then he is failing us.

3 Solid Starters TT

I don't see Jennings as a small-college project. The MAC tends to be underrated by Big Ten fans. I expect him to be about as ready as Murphy was last year. Driver and Gardner will be the starters. If he can work his way into the lineup gradually as the season progresses, as Murphy was doing, this will be a good pick.

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 09:30 PM
I think your right Bretsky.....3 is fair.

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hawk is the only immediate starter, nor would I be disappointed. The combination of injuries and poor coaching had a lot do do with the 4-12 record last year. Talent-wise, the Packers are probably a middle of the road team.

Remember, the Packers had about a dozen rookies last year. Some of those players who were not starters will be expected to have a bigger role this year. Players like Coston, Montgomery, Poppinga, Underwood and Hawkins come to mind. For the most part, this years rookies will be expected to learn, contribute to special teams, and gradually work their way into the lineup in certain situations.

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 09:56 PM
I think the two 2nds should contribute. That OT/OG got picked really friggin high for a gaurd. He better play. He better start.

The WR looks pretty polished adn I think he'll probably get a lot of playing time as a WR/ST

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
I think the two 2nds should contribute. That OT/OG got picked really friggin high for a gaurd. He better play. He better start.

The WR looks pretty polished adn I think he'll probably get a lot of playing time as a WR/ST

I don't know if Colledge is physically strong enough right now to start. I agree he might play guard, but I think TT drafted him that high because he feels he has potential to start someday at left tackle. I think Jennings could be the #3 WR before the season is over. How soon depends on how quickly he learns the offense. Hopefully Brett won't break his thumbs first day of practice.

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 10:31 PM

I don't know if Colledge is physically strong enough right now to start. I agree he might play guard, but I think TT drafted him that high because he feels he has potential to start someday at left tackle. I think Jennings could be the #3 WR before the season is over. How soon depends on how quickly he learns the offense. Hopefully Brett won't break his thumbs first day of practice.

5th to 7th rounders should get drafted based on "the potential to start".
2nd rounders should start if the position the player was drafted at was a weakness, such as our OL.

I'd grade this draft as OK so far; neither 2nd rounder excited me that much.
They passed on some 1st round talents when they traded those picks away.
I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but I'm NOT giving those guys a free pass to contribute sometime next year when we gave up 1st round talents to trade down.

Charles Woodson
04-29-2006, 10:34 PM

Dolphins, last year, Brown, Daniels and Crowder

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Loved the picks. Colledge was solid mid 2nd round value. He fits the scheme well. He'll be moved inside. Jennings was the consensus #4 WR in this draft, and he had a solid mid 2nd round value.

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Loved the picks. Colledge was solid mid 2nd round value. He fits the scheme well. He'll be moved inside. Jennings was the consensus #4 WR in this draft, and he had a solid mid 2nd round value.

WAS ANYBODY ELSE SURPRISED at Spitz over Eslinger ?????????

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2006, 11:57 PM
I was, Bretsky. That's the one pick I didn't like. However, Spitz can play OG and OC. Eslinger will likely be strictly an OC in the NFL. Maybe Thompson is comfortable with Wells and White at OC, and Spitz will compete at OG.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Coston, Tauscher

Klemm, Spitz, White, Whittaker, Barry

I feel like I'm missing someone.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 12:14 AM
I like the starters because it goes Vet, rook, Vet, rook, Vet

Coston is a 2nd year guy but he might as well be a rook. He's pretty gifted physically so he could push for a starting job if he works hard.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 01:25 AM
I guess the trade to get an extra 3rd rounder made sense, but with Justice, J. Williams and C. Jackson on the board, I'm surprised they did it. Those guys were a lot more 'blue chip' then what we ended up with.

I'm ok with the second round selections that were made. Somewhat surprised by the WR, because he doesn't fit the 'big, strong' mold that TT suposedly wants.

On another note - worst draft: Buffalo. What a stinker. Looking at what they picked, and who was on the board for each one, they could've had Ngata (or Bunkley) and Williams instead of Witner and McCargo. wow, they even traded up for McCargo, and he definitely would've been there for them if they really wanted him.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 01:29 AM
On a related note, TT must really not have liked the so-called 1st round talent that fell to the top of the second round. He traded twice to get away from them...

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 01:31 AM
On a related note, TT must really not have liked the so-called 1st round talent that fell to the top of the second round. He traded twice to get away from them...

Very True; but we should always remember Chad Jackson and Jimmy Williams, because they were the first round talent TT chose to trade away. Time will tell if he was right or wrong.

Tarlam!
04-30-2006, 02:11 AM

Tell me Bretsky, how did you feel about the Collins pick last year? I know it's a bad comparison, because you were pumped on Odell and we had just selected our future HOF QB, so you were down.

But, think back to the acutal player's name being called. I wasn't with you guys then, but someone dragged up the old draft thread, so, I got a good flavour. 99% thought TT was outta his mind!

A lot of people were wondering why on earth TT would draft a WR. A week later, JW acted like an idiot.

I say, have faith in TT. This draft thing is what he seems to relish the most.

No Mo Moss
04-30-2006, 02:19 AM

Very True; but we should always remember Chad Jackson and Jimmy Williams, because they were the first round talent TT chose to trade away. Time will tell if he was right or wrong.

Both of those guys have some serious question marks. They dropped out of the 1st rd for that reason.

Tarlam!
04-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Shame Detroit nabbed Brian from right under our noses.

OS PA
04-30-2006, 02:29 AM
The Question is, Calhoun or Hodge? I'm thinking Hodge-podged thoughts on this one =).

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 08:53 AM

Tell me Bretsky, how did you feel about the Collins pick last year? I know it's a bad comparison, because you were pumped on Odell and we had just selected our future HOF QB, so you were down.

But, think back to the acutal player's name being called. I wasn't with you guys then, but someone dragged up the old draft thread, so, I got a good flavour. 99% thought TT was outta his mind!

A lot of people were wondering why on earth TT would draft a WR. A week later, JW acted like an idiot.

I say, have faith in TT. This draft thing is what he seems to relish the most.

Truth be told, I was luke warm on Collins last year. I'd have preferred a DL instead; the picks I didn't like last year were Rodgers, Murphy, and Hawkins, and I considered last year an average draft at best. My view is the same but Aaron Rodgers future performance is how that draft will really be measured. This draft thing is TT's baby, that's for sure......we can all passively watch the careers of Jimmy Williams and Chad Jackson and see and reflect if Green Bay did the right thing down the road.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Luke warm?

Wasn't it you that blew a nut and sounded off, renouncing everything you could think of?

Of course, you did settle down, come back and say everything was alright, :smile:

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Luke warm?

Wasn't it you that blew a nut and sounded off, renouncing everything you could think of?

Of course, you did settle down, come back and say everything was alright, :smile:

I blew a nut at the Rodgers and Hawkins pick. I don't think I renounced everything..........but I did hate TT that day and calmed down later.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 11:34 AM
I dunno. I think you threatened his dog 8-)

Isthat a picture of TT's dog in your avatar? Are you stalking that poor beagle?

swede
04-30-2006, 11:42 AM
I saw a clip of Colledge in shorts and a jersey walking through sn airport or something. He is very tall and lanky for a lineman. Juat walking around he looks like an athlete.

He reminds me of Ken Ruettgers. I like this kid. Because he is starting to learn zone blocking from the same place as all the other linemen I think he has a great chance to be a starter on Day One.

Nutz, a little shout out here, for a guy that eats cat poop you called the first two picks!

swede
04-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I saw a clip of Colledge in shorts and a jersey walking through sn airport or something. He is very tall and lanky for a lineman. Juat walking around he looks like an athlete.

He reminds me of Ken Ruettgers. I like this kid. Because he is starting to learn zone blocking from the same place as all the other linemen I think he has a great chance to be a starter on Day One.

Nutz, a little shout out here, for a guy that eats cat poop you called the first two picks!

Gotta bump this now that Nutz' wife has the TV. :lol:

Chevelle2
08-31-2008, 03:18 PM

HAWK as a starter is a given.

We had two more top 2nd round picks and TT chose to trade down.

He certainly could have drafted solid starters there, but he chose to trade down.

It may be a challenge, but I want to see 2 of the 4 picks he received from those start.............and I sure hope we don't regret trading the pick used to take Chad Jackson.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Scott Campbell
08-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Ouchie.

:lol:

Lurker64
08-31-2008, 03:34 PM
So, how's Chris Chester doing?

Rastak
08-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Not necessary to drag up something like this. He expressed concern, didn't make any bold stupid statements like we all see around here all the time.

Zool
08-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Not necessary to drag up something like this. He expressed concern, didn't make any bold stupid statements like we all see around here all the time.

3 Solid Starters TT

Asking for 3 solid rookie starters is kinda out there IMO. Solid starter to me is someone who can start on a good portion of the teams in the NFL.

Plus Tank was right there agreeing with him. Any time that happens, the OP should take a step back and analyze the situation.

Rastak
08-31-2008, 07:09 PM

3 Solid Starters TT

Asking for 3 solid rookie starters is kinda out there IMO. Solid starter to me is someone who can start on a good portion of the teams in the NFL.

Plus Tank was right there agreeing with him. Any time that happens, the OP should take a step back and analyze the situation.

Hmmmm, you might be right Zool. That is a pretty solid statement. * backs away quietly *

Freak Out
08-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Must be a slow day to dig around for this kind of stuff. Need something to do?

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Bretsky: TT is drafting guys that can play the game. I saw Jennings play. The guy is a solid, mature WR. He doesn't drop passes, he gets off blocks and runs great routes to get open. He doesn't wait for the ball to come to him - he's always moving to finish, catches away from his body, etc. Reminds me of David Givens.

How can you fault TT for drafting a speedy blocking (probably G) from the North Pole??! GB will seem downright BALMY for this guy!! :whist:

Lurker64
08-31-2008, 08:23 PM
3 Solid Starters TT

Hawk, Jennings, Spitz, Jolly.

Hooray!

CaliforniaCheez
08-31-2008, 10:27 PM
There is more to this thread too. Odell?? Calhoun?? Where are they now.

The more people say Thompson is foolish for not doing what some nerd draft "guru" says, the more time proves them wrong.

Go back and check what the "experts" said about Sitton this year when describing what a bad pick that was or how the "experts" saw no reason to draft Flynn.

You have to give Thompson credit on his draft picks.