PDA

View Full Version : UFL - Would you watch?

LL2
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Would you watch? What do you think it would take to make it successful compared to why the XFL and USFL failed?

I think it would be successful if they folded the NFL Europe and brought it stateside as a minor league much like minor league baseball. Minor league baseball is pretty successful and in chicagoland there are around 4 minor league baseball teams. One close to my house is the Kane County Cougars (minor league team for the A’s). They always draw a decent crowd and it’s affordable for families. (I also know the coach of the Cougars and years ago almost dated his wife. I started dating mine and well the rest is history). The XFL and the USFL tried to compete directly with the NFL and failed. Can’t do that. Not going to ever work. Need to be affiliated with in to succeed. The time of year they play is a huge factors. Can’t play in the fall and compete with Friday night HS football, college has Saturdays, and the NFL owns Sundays. I think it would be best to kick start the league the week after the SB and tie it into the end of the NFL season somehow.

Your thoughts?

NFL may have to shift developmental focus
John Czarnecki
FOXSports.com, Updated 12 hours ago

With the talk of Dallas billionaire Mark Cuban showing interest in a pro football league venture, the United Football League, what many must understand is that any new product needs national exposure.
When Vince McMahon jumpstarted the XFL, there was a television network available (NBC) that was in need of programming and didn't have any NFL affiliation.
Well, that's totally different now. All four major networks now televise the NFL, which means the new league would have to resort to cable or organize an independent-channel buy-in. Yes, there are some big cities without the NFL, but does anyone really think that Los Angeles would be viable for a new league?
The XFL product paled in comparison to the NFL despite its hype. And we all know that McMahon knows how to entertain and make money with pro wrestling.
What this could do, though, is get the NFL to focus on having its developmental league in the U.S. If there's truly a chance of a 17-game schedule and multiple games being played in London and several German cities, the league to give up NFL Europa (Goodell has never been a big supporter) and move it stateside. Given the choice, many European fans would prefer NFL regular-season games to the minor-league variety.

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Three types of football is enough for me. I don't watch arena football because the concept is all "chuck the ball and see how many points we can score." If I want to see teams put up 150+ points combined I'll watch basketball.

The XFL had some good point of concept because it was significantly different. What's going to be different about this league. I don't want to see mediocre players playing under NFL rules. If I want to watch that, I'll go to a Lions game. :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
"Would the UFL succeed or fail?"

If you are going to give us Y/N options, shouldn't you phrase it "Would the UFL succeed?" or "Would the UFL fail?". Or at least "Would the UFL...?" Then give us Fail/Succeed options. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to answer yes or no.

rpiotr01
06-07-2007, 02:58 PM

If you are going to give us Y/N options, shouldn't you phrase it "Would the UFL succeed?" or "Would the UFL fail?". Or at least "Would the UFL...?" Then give us Fail/Succeed options. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to answer yes or no.

Actually, this is a poll with a correct answer. The answer is "Yes". It will either succeed or it will fail. :wink:

oregonpackfan
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
[quote="BallHawk"]Three types of football is enough for me. I don't watch arena football because the concept is all "chuck the ball and see how many points we can score." If I want to see teams put up 150+ points combined I'll watch basketball.

I think BallHawk hits it on the head with "Three types of football is enough for me." My 3 types are Packers--Pro, Badgers, Ducks, Beavers=College,
local high school team(Bowmen).

Though I love football, following this league would exceed the saturation point for me. I just would not have the time nor interest to watch it. Like BallHawk, I already do not watch Arena Football. Another league would be too much for me.

packinpatland
06-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I need time to 'de-football'. Watch a bit of MLB.
During the season as each weekend comes I always think 'don't go so fast!', when the season is over, I'm usually ready. Last few years, more than ready. :wink:

LL2
06-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Ok..maybe I worded the question wrong. How do I change that?

Most of you are saying their would be too much football, but it seems most can't get enough. We are on here discussing packer football all year round. If the Packers had a minor league team I bet there would be interest.

packinpatland
06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Ok, maybe if it were Packer football.

Tarlam!
06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Tough question!

I think MLB has solved it with it's farm system.

European soccer has the relegation sytem, but that won't work in a league like the NFL (franchises).

So, imagine there were 100 NFL teams, 2 per state of the Union.

36 NFL
32 Minor League
32 Really minor league.

10 - 12 Drafts rounds.

BTW, NFL should purchase the Grey Cup and merge it with NFL Europa and create NFL Africa/South America and Asia......another 32 Teams (8 on on 3 continents, 2x4 on two others).

Now you have a sport to rival soccer......

packinpatland
06-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Tough question!

I think MLB has solved it with it's farm system.

European soccer has the relegation sytem, but that won't work in a league like the NFL (franchises).

So, imagine there were 100 NFL teams, 2 per state of the Union.

36 NFL
32 Minor League
32 Really minor league.

10 - 12 Drafts rounds.

BTW, NFL should purchase the Grey Cup and merge it with NFL Europa and create NFL Africa/South America and Asia......another 32 Teams (8 on on 3 continents, 2x4 on two others).

Now you have a sport to rival soccer......

Makes me dizzy just thinking about it!

Tarlam!
06-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Oh, I can make it even more complex!

Since we now have 36 NFL teams, we have an issue on the farm team status!

Who gets to own them, since we have 4 too few in Minor Really Minor???

We have a defit of 8 teams here......Ah. Enter the Grey Cup......

I cannot believe I am this brilliant and am still not a billionaire......

(Or even a Thousanaire..... :shock: )

FritzDontBlitz
06-07-2007, 07:07 PM
the nfl is microsoft in cleats, just as vicious when it comes to competition.

i think the usfl had the best chance of making it, but they eventually went bankrupt trying to keep up with the nfl.

i will watch, but, they will fail because the nfl is the most successful monopoly in sports history. they will crush them just like the others.

packinpatland
06-07-2007, 08:00 PM

Oh, I can make it even more complex!

Since we now have 36 NFL teams, we have an issue on the farm team status!

Who gets to own them, since we have 4 too few in Minor Really Minor???

We have a defit of 8 teams here......Ah. Enter the Grey Cup......

I cannot believe I am this brilliant and am still not a billionaire......

(Or even a Thousanaire..... :shock: )

Oh to be so brilliant in one's own mind. :wink: