PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys released G Marco Rivera.

packers11
06-08-2007, 09:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2896966

Thursday, June 7, 2007
Back problems hampered Rivera's stint with Cowboys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

IRVING, Texas -- Three-time Pro Bowl guard Marco Rivera was released Thursday after two seasons and two back operations while with the Dallas Cowboys.

Rivera initially injured his back while running on a treadmill in March 2005, only a week after signing his $20 million, five-year free agent deal. He had surgery to repair a bulging disc in his lower back, but still started the first 14 games in 2005 before being sidelined by a strained neck.

Last season, Rivera started all 16 regular season games before hurting his back again in the wildcard playoff loss at Seattle and had surgery to repair a herniated disc.

When Rivera signed with the Cowboys, he was coming off his third consecutive Pro Bowl season while blocking for Brett Favre in Green Bay. Rivera played in 106 consecutive games for the Packers, including seven playoff games, from 1998-2004.

Rivera was a sixth-round draft pick out of Penn State in 1996 but was inactive for every game that season when Green Bay won the Super Bowl. He spent the next season primarily on special teams before becoming a starter late in the 1998 season.

After getting hurt in 2005, Rivera offered to tear up his Cowboys contract and return his $9 million signing bonus.

The Cowboys were already prepared for Rivera's departure, having signed another big-money free agent this spring.

Leonard Davis signed a seven-year contract worth nearly $50 million with the Cowboys that included a $16 million signing bonus. The 6-foot-6, 372-pound Davis spent the first six seasons of his career in Arizona after being the No. 2 overall pick out of Texas in 2001.

Without Rivera, Davis will almost certainly play right guard instead of tackle for the Cowboys. Dallas had already re-signed right tackle Marc Colombo and has Pro Bowler Flozell Adams at left tackle.

packers11
06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
I hope he retires as a green bay packer ...
Its sad to see such a good player have bad luck with these sort of injuries... :(

BallHawk
06-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Man, I remember some of the outrage people had when Rivera was let go. Of course, a lot of people didn't realize the cap constrictions, but people had their pitchforks out. In hindsight, it was the right move.

I do hope he signs a 1-day contract and retires a Packer.

wist43
06-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Didn't mind that Rivera was allowed to walk... the Cowboys way overpaid - thought it was a bad signing from the beginning.

Kiwon
06-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, I'm glad he got some of Jerry Jones' change. Wow, two back operations in two years. Hang 'em up, buddy, and get out with what health you have.

Thanks for the memories.

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/rev/nov02/marco1124.jpg

4and12to12and4
06-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Isn't it amazing that Rivera injured his back right after he was signed by Dallas? Is it possible, and i know im reaching, that it was already injured and maybe the Packer Brass knew and was concerned about resigning him to a big deal, but told him they wouldn't tell if he didn't so that he could get his payday elsewhere? I had a fusion in my lower back, and i can tell you that I lived with the herniated disc for many years doing hard manual labor. I had sleepless nights, but if i wanted to fool a doctor in a routine physical that i was completely healthy, i could have. I'm sure Rivera could have to. I know its a stretch, but he gets injured on a treadmill before his 1st season with Dallas even starts? If I read that correctly, it sounds a bit fishy. I would think that struggling to hold your ground against an angry 350 lb. man every sunday for a decade is more likely to cause a disc herniation. I dont know, maybe its just me.

BallHawk
06-08-2007, 10:39 AM
You bring up an interesting theory, 4 and 12.

packers11
06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
You bring up an interesting theory, 4 and 12.

very interesting theory...

we can all praise the http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/images/smilies/turtle.gif now...

SudsMcBucky
06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
I, for one, wasn't upset to see Rivera go at the Cowboy's offer. My issue that year was more with them not ponying up for Wahle. Again, I liked Rivera, but not at those costs so that never upset me seeing as most everyone agreed he was already heading on the downside of his career.

pbmax
06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
OK, who gave Bretsky the turtle emoticon to play with?

Rivera is also part of a current mini-conspiracy theory. He blasted Gene Upshaw of the Players Union this week, a year after Matt Birk did and a week after some veterans did (Joe DeLamielleure) about former players pension and medical benefits. Marco was alredy near the chopping block due to the continuing medical issue and contract, speculation about his release had already started.

But the theory holds that the people behind Upshaw are the agents, and Upshaw's agent in Tom Condon. Condon is the agent for several Cowboys including Tony Romo.

The conspiracy theorists have Upshaw, who earlier had threatened to break Joe D's neck, pushing Condon to threaten the Cowboys to get Rivera released. Motivation would be any criticism levelled at Upshaw from outside is survivable, but a revolt from within is a problem.

Probably not, but a fun read. Can't be a classic conspiracy theory though, until it involves 33rd degree Masons, the Trilateral Commission and be completely unprovable.

I hope Marco signs for the Packers and tries to rehabilitate the injury. Good for the young Packers, good for Marco to retire here if he doesn't make it back.

4and12to12and4
06-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Can't be a classic conspiracy theory though, until it involves 33rd degree Masons

LOL!!!! That's especially funny to me, because my crazy sister-in-law has just been googling about the freemasons this past month and her and my wife have been speculating about the demons and devils that are the freemasons, dating back to the founding fathers, etc, etc, etc, more conspiracy theories than are seen on a daily basis on this forum even!! :whist:

packers11
06-08-2007, 11:13 AM

:oops: :whist:

pbmax
06-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I love reading those websites. If you have 33rd degree Masons, TriLateral Commission, Robert Shuler or Norman Vincent Pearl in the first paragraph, I am hooked.

People go crazy over secret societies. The funniest thing about Masonic conspiracies is that people are always labeled as ranks that don't exist. The other question I always want to ask is "how do you know their rank, if its a secret society"?

Can't be a classic conspiracy theory though, until it involves 33rd degree Masons

LOL!!!! That's especially funny to me, because my crazy sister-in-law has just been googling about the freemasons this past month and her and my wife have been speculating about the demons and devils that are the freemasons, dating back to the founding fathers, etc, etc, etc, more conspiracy theories than are seen on a daily basis on this forum even!! :whist:

pbmax
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
What photo is that avatar Suds?

I, for one, wasn't upset to see Rivera go at the Cowboy's offer. My issue that year was more with them not ponying up for Wahle. Again, I liked Rivera, but not at those costs so that never upset me seeing as most everyone agreed he was already heading on the downside of his career.

4and12to12and4
06-08-2007, 11:59 AM
What photo is that avatar Suds?

I might be wrong, but it looks like a scene from "Wild Things".
Regardless, i rarely read his opinions, because my attention span somehow wanders, and i just have to continue down the page :lol: :lol:

run pMc
06-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Rivera was a good player who was past his prime when TT let him walk. Even I could see that...his body was starting to break down his last year in GB. Still, I liked that he brought it every game and played well even when hurt.

That photo of him socking it to Sapp is priceless.

Kiwon
06-08-2007, 06:05 PM

:shock: Who told you about that?

Okay, I hope you don't have any "accidents" in the near future. Know what I mean? :smack:

Kiwon
06-08-2007, 06:31 PM
That photo of him socking it to Sapp is priceless.

That's not Sapp. Sapp was 99, Simeon Rice was 97. I don't know who 96 was. We need PR's crack research staff to solve that one.

The game was Nov.24, 2002 at Tampa. That's the one where Clifton got hurt on a cheap shot from Sapp and Sherman threw down on Sapp afterward, "That was a chicken s--- block and you know it!"

As an aside, I like Mike Sherman. He could have complained about Sapp in the press (like most would have), but he went up to him and told him to his face what he thought. Sherman didn't plan on that confrontation being on camera but it unexpectedly was. Sherman earned my respect that day.

Scott Campbell
06-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Isn't it amazing that Rivera injured his back right after he was signed by Dallas? Is it possible, and i know im reaching, that it was already injured and maybe the Packer Brass knew and was concerned about resigning him to a big deal, but told him they wouldn't tell if he didn't so that he could get his payday elsewhere?

You mean like when the Bucks traded Marques Johnson to the Clippers when they knew he had a coke problem?

Rastak
06-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Isn't it amazing that Rivera injured his back right after he was signed by Dallas? Is it possible, and i know im reaching, that it was already injured and maybe the Packer Brass knew and was concerned about resigning him to a big deal, but told him they wouldn't tell if he didn't so that he could get his payday elsewhere?

You mean like when the Bucks traded Marques Johnson to the Clippers when they knew he had a coke problem?

That dude could play (when he could see straight).

oregonpackfan
06-08-2007, 08:04 PM
As an aside, I like Mike Sherman. He could have complained about Sapp in the press (like most would have), but he went up to him and told him to his face what he thought. Sherman didn't plan on that confrontation being on camera but it unexpectedly was. Sherman earned my respect that day.[/quote]

I agree, Kiwon. I thought Sherman standing up to Sapp in defense of his player was Sherman's finest moment. Mind you, Sherman did not have many "fine" moments but I fully supported his confronting Sapp.

Tarlam!
06-09-2007, 03:51 AM
The other question I always want to ask is "how do you know their rank, if its a secret society"?

Freemasons are not a secret society. They are a society with secrets. Most lodges will even provide you a tour of their temple.

As to 33 degrees, you are referring to the Scottish Rites. There are few people on earth that know how to excercise the 33rd degree. It also costs a fortune, because of all the regaia requirements you have to afford.

In the YORK Rite, lodges are in the Blue or Red category. Blue lodges exercise degress 1, 2 & 3. Red excercise the eqwuivilant of 4, 5 & 6. Thereafter it gets a little fuzzy. I know a Knights Templar, which is about the 8Th Degree in the York Rite.

If anyone wants to know more:

http://www.100megsfree2.com/jjscherr/scherr/Freemasonrydegrees.htm

http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/masonic_degrees.html

Just don't ask me what else I know - It's a secret..... :duel:

Fritz
06-09-2007, 08:47 AM

Rivera is also part of a current mini-conspiracy theory. He blasted Gene Upshaw of the Players Union this week, a year after Matt Birk did and a week after some veterans did (Joe DeLamielleure) about former players pension and medical benefits. Marco was alredy near the chopping block due to the continuing medical issue and contract, speculation about his release had already started.

But the theory holds that the people behind Upshaw are the agents, and Upshaw's agent in Tom Condon. Condon is the agent for several Cowboys including Tony Romo.

The conspiracy theorists have Upshaw, who earlier had threatened to break Joe D's neck, pushing Condon to threaten the Cowboys to get Rivera released. Motivation would be any criticism levelled at Upshaw from outside is survivable, but a revolt from within is a problem.

Probably not, but a fun read. Can't be a classic conspiracy theory though, until it involves 33rd degree Masons, the Trilateral Commission and be completely unprovable.

I hope Marco signs for the Packers and tries to rehabilitate the injury. Good for the young Packers, good for Marco to retire here if he doesn't make it back.

Ummm..I've heard that Jerry Jones is a member of the Trilateral Commission. I also have read that Tom Condon is a 33rd degree Mason and that he is the one who pushed Jerry Jones to step on Rivera's neck. In fact, this has been going on for over a year, and Jones was pushing Bill Parcells to bench Rivera as a "message" about not messing with Gene Upshaw, who of course is not himself a Mason but has lots of investments on the advice on Jerry Jones, who as I said earlier is on the Trilateral Commssion (and everybody knows they run the world to make themselves richer and richer). Anyway, Parcells wanted none of it, and that's actually why he "retired" as Cowboys' coach. Once Parcells was gone, Condon persuaded Jones to hire a coach who was more pliable, and from the moment Parcells left Rivera's protection was gone and his days were numbered.

There you go! :lol:

4and12to12and4
06-10-2007, 11:45 AM
my sister in law youtubed a ritual ceremony going on that was secretly camcordered from the distance outside this weird looking horned owl type cave structure, and claims that is where the highest level freemasons do there thing. Ever here of that place?

Guiness
06-10-2007, 12:24 PM
If anyone wants to know more:

http://www.100megsfree2.com/jjscherr/scherr/Freemasonrydegrees.htm

http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/masonic_degrees.html

Just don't ask me what else I know - It's a secret..... :duel:

ok, that's just flippin' weird

swede
06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I know a guy that was invited to speak at a Masonic temple. He was told not to come until the private portion of the meeting was over. As he arrived he saw that one of the Mason's was conspicuously standing at guard near the door.

As the guy approaches the Mason steps forward with his hand extended and says "Monty Pelnor!"

The guy, not sure what the protocol was, returned the greeting: "Monty Pelnor!"

The Mason says, "No, no. My name is Monty Pelnor. Welcome to our lodge."

My Uncle Merv says that in Minnesota they wonder what's wrong with you if you're not a Mason. Down south they wonder what's wrong with you if you're not.

How'd we get on this again?

Guiness
06-10-2007, 05:54 PM
My Uncle Merv says that in Minnesota they wonder what's wrong with you if you're not a Mason. Down south they wonder what's wrong with you if you're not.

The department of redundancy department?