PDA

View Full Version : OT : You think packer fans overreacted on...

packers11
06-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Draft Day... Think again... Look at Miami, fans and players are still ripping about the pick...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/06/07/ginn.dolphins/index.html

Second-guessing Ginn

Dolphins veterans puzzled by first-round selection
Posted: Thursday June 7, 2007 12:58PM; Updated: Thursday June 7, 2007 1:02PM

Zach Thomas and his wife Maritza were walking down Manhattan's Central Park South on draft day when a man on the street delivered some shocking news, early 20th century paperboy style.

"Yo, Zach, what's up, man?" the passerby asked in a concerned voice. Without waiting for an answer, he bellowed: "Ted F----- Ginn!!!" before continuing on his not-so-merry way.

The Dolphins' All-Pro linebacker wasn't positive what the man meant, but he had a sneaking suspicion that his employers, via their proxy a few blocks downtown at Radio City Music Hall, had just done something controversial with the ninth overall selection. A few minutes later Thomas's cell phone started ringing, and he and his teammates -- as well as Mel Kiper Jr., millions of TV viewers and virtually every other football fan across the globe -- began second-guessing Miami's decision to take former Ohio State receiver (full name: Theodore Ginn Jr., no F-bomb in the middle) with the bum wheel instead of ex-Notre Dame quarterback (Brady Tyler Quinn) with the golden arm.

In some players' eyes, this wasn't merely a reach -- it was proof that NFL coaches and general managers should be subject to the same drug-testing procedures as the athletes.

The Dolphins, who finally completed the long-awaited trade for almost-37-year-old Trent Green on Tuesday, clearly needed a quarterback for the future. Instead, they picked a guy who ... well, let veteran defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday tell it: "With the ninth pick they took a guy who is basically a kick returner -- a hurt kick returner. Here were are in June, and he hasn't been in camp yet. Maybe he'll come in eventually and become a better route-runner and make some plays. But I couldn't believe it then, and I can't believe it now."

Holliday's words might sound a bit strong, but his is hardly a minority opinion. Miami's best player and most vocal leader, reigning NFL defensive player of the year Jason Taylor, was similarly stunned by the pick -- not so much because he's sure Quinn will turn out to be a bigtime NFL passer (who is?), but because the whole thing seemed so illogical, especially given the potential seriousness of Ginn's sprained left foot. It didn't help that Taylor, appearing as a call-in guest on a Miami radio station minutes before the selection, had proclaimed that selecting Quinn was "a no-brainer" -- only to come off like a befuddled outsider after Roger Goodell strolled to the podium.

"You notice the commissioner kind of paused before he read the name," Taylor says. "Like even he couldn't believe it."

Neither could one prominent NFL coach with whom I spoke Wednesday. "I was really surprised," he said. " Really surprised. That's a hit-or-miss pick, at No. 9, because the foot could really be an issue."

Holliday had his own draft-day moment of revolting revelation. He was standing on the patio of his offseason home in Atlanta's Buckhead district, grilling his delectable specialty ("Best steaks east of the Mississippi," he insists), when his wife, Eboni, came rushing outside with the news.

"What did we do?" Eboni asked. Her husband nearly dropped his spatula. "About 45 seconds later," he recalls, "my phone rang. It was JT. I answered it and said, 'I know. I know. I can't believe it.'"

The sentiment was echoed by thousands of Dolphins fans who had gathered for the team-sponsored draft party in the practice bubble at Miami's training facility. It was the first major decision by new coach Cam Cameron and newly empowered general manager Randy Mueller -- the latter having been freed from the shackles of (Nick)Sabandom -- and it reeked of "We're smarter than the rest of the football world -- just trust us" bravado.

I don't fault Mueller or Cameron for passing on Quinn -- it's their job to gauge a quarterback's potential and draft value, and Mueller in particular has enough of a track record as a shrewd personnel evaluator that I tend to trust his instincts. But by picking Ginn so high, when most teams had him ranked far less favorably, the two men riled a fan base that was inclined, after Nick Saban had lied his way out of Dodge, to give the new regime the benefit of the doubt. That all disappeared a half hour after the Ginn pick when Cameron entered the bubble and basically got booed off the stage, with chants of "Brady, Brady" interrupting his brief speech.

In the speech, Cameron promised an exciting draft class, and the team did take a quarterback with its second-round pick, John Beck of BYU. I'm told Beck looked extremely shaky at the team's recent minicamp, fumbling numerous snaps and failing to impress in general. Granted, the kid was probably nervous, and it's only minicamp. But his struggles gave veteran players -- already reeling from five consecutive seasons without a playoff berth, last year's disastrous 1-6 start (after having been a trendy preseason Super Bowl pick) and Saban's graceless cut-and-run to Tuscaloosa after only two years on the job -- one more reason to wonder what on earth is going on.

"Needing a young quarterback for the future, you'd think picking Quinn would've been a no-brainer," Holliday says. "I mean, the setup was perfect. It's hard enough to get the fans (in South Florida) to come to the games, and now you piss them off? But hey, they must have a plan."

Maybe it will all work out the way Mueller and Cameron envisioned it, and quickly. Perhaps Ginn will emulate the Chicago Bears' Devin Hester, a second-round pick in 2006 who had a huge impact as a return man, with five combined touchdowns on punt and kickoff runbacks. Unremarkable as a defensive back, Hester has since been switched to wideout, where the team hopes he will emerge as an offensive playmaker.

"Ginn Jr. needs to call up Hester and thank him," Holliday says. "I guess that's what they're hoping he'll be."

Thomas, for one, is through harping on the past. He'll form his opinions on Ginn Jr. and everyone else based on what happens when the games begin. What else would you expect from an undersized, overlooked linebacker from Texas Tech who went in the fifth round of the 1996 draft and has been one of the NFL's best players virtually ever since?

"You don't know about drafts till they play out, anyway," Thomas says. "Hell, there were 20 teams that passed on Brady Quinn -- even his own team (the Browns, who picked him 22nd overall after bypassing him at No. 3) passed on him -- and we're the bad ones?"

Not necessarily. Not yet. But you can bet the No. 1 pick in your fantasy draft that every time Quinn does something special -- or a certain Dolphins rookie fails to do so -- that dude on the streets of Manhattan won't be the only one screaming out Ted Ginn's unofficial new middle name.

4and12to12and4
06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Who the hell really knows?? Honestly?? Can anyone here guarantee that Quinn will ever be anything? Ginn may be the next Jerry Rice (just much richer in his 1st contract). Look at Eli Manning, this cocky little prick thought he was so damn good, he CHOSE where he wanted to play, and if his last name didn't rhyme with Manning (wait a minute) he would've been a bench warmer in New York two years ago, or traded for a 6th round pick. Time will tell, and the Miami brass is definitely not going to be rooting for Brady's success, that's for damn sure. So, Hawk's sister better stay the hell out of Miami if she know's what's good for her. :roll:

Partial
06-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I think its really crappy their is an article out about his teammates throwing him under the bus before they've seen him play. That will make for a real awkward start to his career for Ginn.

Tarlam!
06-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Miami sd have taken Quinn. Far worse, the Packers should have taken Quinn.

PackerBlues
06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
I find it kind of funny that you see so many players speaking their minds the way they have been lately.
Hey, they want to win, thats a good thing. Only time will tell if Ginn "pans out", but in the meantime, if nothing else, his new teamates just gave him all the motivation he is ever going to need. Its just sad that the motivation had to come the way that it did.

The Leaper
06-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Ginn is a big reach at #9. Yes, he has ridiculous speed. Yes, he can make an immediate impact on special teams. He's a long ways from being a reliable every down receiver in the NFL though.

Cameron is an idiot. He was an idiot when he coached in the Big Ten. He's still an idiot. How he could ever impress someone enough to land a job in the NFL is beyond me. The Dolphin organization is a joke right now.

packinpatland
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I know this has been beat to death already, but once again...............
how come Favre got raked over the coals for speaking his mind?

woodbuck27
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM

but wait a second. . .

when has Ted Thompson done much that might be termed logical?

I've had a long time to think on our first pick and I agree that TT should have selected Brady Quinn ( except for the reason of possible negative re-purcussions related to already having AJ Hawk) why the heck not go to a better BPA?

He then had the option of making a huge deal for our future with another team ie 'the Browns' or keeping him for a closer look.

Hindsight is 20-20 but TT should have jumped all over Brady Quinn.

The Leaper
06-08-2007, 12:37 PM
how come Favre got raked over the coals for speaking his mind?

I don't think he got beat up for speaking his mind about Thompson not going after an offensive playmaker. I think most Packer fans share his opinion.

He got beat up due to the comments flying around that he suggested a trade out of Green Bay...which is why Favre tried to backpedal away from that very quick.

The Leaper
06-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Don't buy it.

Cleveland was the only team in the NFL locking on Quinn. When was the last time Cleveland was right about a high profile draft pick? Why would you think they are right on this one? Quinn dropped for a reason. We already have one first round free fall at QB on the roster...why add another?

You don't select a player merely as a bargaining chip to try to get something out of someone else...unless you already have the deal in place when you make the pick. Cleveland was not offering enough to trade out of the #16 pick...if we had been 4-5 spots further back, then I'm pretty sure Thompson would've taken the Browns offer.

Zool
06-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Don't buy it.

Cleveland was the only team in the NFL locking on Quinn. When was the last time Cleveland was right about a high profile draft pick? Why would you think they are right on this one? Quinn dropped for a reason. We already have one first round free fall at QB on the roster...why add another?

You don't select a player merely as a bargaining chip to try to get something out of someone else...unless you already have the deal in place when you make the pick. Cleveland was not offering enough to trade out of the #16 pick...if we had been 4-5 spots further back, then I'm pretty sure Thompson would've taken the Browns offer.Agreed. You cant ask for an instant impact player and condone trading out of the first round.

Tarlam!
06-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Don't buy it.
Agreed. You cant ask for an instant impact player and condone trading out of the first round.

Guys, Woody and I have this right. Eat shit and die.

RashanGary
06-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Ginn is an amazing, explosive athlete. Thompson mentioned in his draft that a guy like Ginn could have dropped. He said, you never know how things unfold but the way things went, they were very happy and excited to have Harrell.

Thompson throwing Ginn in that context shows me that he thought highly of Ginn. Also, later he said that if he finds a player at OSU, someone else sees that same player and knows he's good. He said it's hard to be much better than anyone else because all of these personal people know what they are doing.

With these things in mind, I thought Thompson really liked Ginn and a part of him was sort of hoping for Ginn. Everyone knows what I think of Ted's talent evaluation so I take a indirect but ringing endorsement from Ted as pretty high praise. I think Ginn is going to be an explosive weapon.

4and12to12and4
06-08-2007, 01:58 PM

but wait a second. . .

when has Ted Thompson done much that might be termed logical?

I've had a long time to think on our first pick and I agree that TT should have selected Brady Quinn ( except for the reason of possible negative re-purcussions related to already having AJ Hawk) why the heck not go to a better BPA?

He then had the option of making a huge deal for our future with another team ie 'the Browns' or keeping him for a closer look.

OK, guys, HELLO!!!! Wake up and smell the coffee, isn't it obvious.
TT was caught up in a love triangle with Brady Quinn's sister, and when she dumped him for AJ Hawk, he was SO pissed, he drafted Hawk with futures plans of revenge for him (i'm still waiting to see how that is all gonna pan out). As far as Brady goes, TT knew that if he SEPERATED AJ and Brady in the NFL, this would make life miserable for Brady's sister (if yer following, she's TT's ex-lover) because her loyalties will now be split, causing tension and stress in the marriage. Eventually, AJ will divorce her due to her loyalty to the Browns, leaving her to run back to TT for emotional and sexual support. DUH!! It's so simple. There was no way Quinn was coming to Green Bay. :twisted:

MJZiggy
06-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Don't buy it.
Agreed. You cant ask for an instant impact player and condone trading out of the first round.

Methinks a Viennese piece of sheepskin has swelled someone's self image a tad...but I'll bite. Why should he have jumped all over Brady?

packinpatland
06-08-2007, 02:12 PM

Don't buy it.

Methinks a Viennese piece of sheepskin has swelled someone's self image a tad...but I'll bite. Why should he have jumped all over Brady?

OH MY GOD......................................HUGE can of worms. :shock:

MJZiggy
06-08-2007, 02:24 PM
It's the offseason...

Charles Woodson
06-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Ummm No, look what not many people realize is that a miami coach trained with Quinn for two months before the draft. now with that information, who do you think would know if quinn was the right pick or not. Most likely Cam cameon.

4and12to12and4
06-08-2007, 02:30 PM
TT was caught up in a love triangle with Brady Quinn's sister, and when she dumped him for AJ Hawk, he was SO pissed, he drafted Hawk with futures plans of revenge for him (i'm still waiting to see how that is all gonna pan out). As far as Brady goes, TT knew that if he SEPERATED AJ and Brady in the NFL, this would make life miserable for Brady's sister (if yer following, she's TT's ex-lover) because her loyalties will now be split, causing tension and stress in the marriage. Eventually, AJ will divorce her due to her loyalty to the Browns, leaving her to run back to TT for emotional and sexual support. DUH!! It's so simple. There was no way Quinn was coming to Green Bay.
:repost: I thought this was funny enough to post again. OK, im shallow and wanton of attention. Sue me.

Charles Woodson
06-08-2007, 02:35 PM
TT was caught up in a love triangle with Brady Quinn's sister, and when she dumped him for AJ Hawk, he was SO pissed, he drafted Hawk with futures plans of revenge for him (i'm still waiting to see how that is all gonna pan out). As far as Brady goes, TT knew that if he SEPERATED AJ and Brady in the NFL, this would make life miserable for Brady's sister (if yer following, she's TT's ex-lover) because her loyalties will now be split, causing tension and stress in the marriage. Eventually, AJ will divorce her due to her loyalty to the Browns, leaving her to run back to TT for emotional and sexual support. DUH!! It's so simple. There was no way Quinn was coming to Green Bay.
:repost: I thought this was funny enough to post again. OK, im shallow and wanton of attention. Sue me.

personally i thought this was stupid

sounds like you and tank have been talking to much

MJZiggy
06-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Sue me.

Well if a pair of pants is worth $54 million, I wonder what a slanderous post would net... :whaa: :whaa: