PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson Outraces Horse

Joemailman
06-10-2007, 08:33 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/SPT02/706100404/1066/rss07

Horse can't cover No. 85
Johnson runaway winner in race

The horse broke cleanly from the gate and bore down at a full sprint on the finish line, one-eighth of a mile in the distance.

But the horse didn't have a chance. Chad Johnson took off with a 100-meter head start and raced to the pole, winning by several lengths in his maiden turf start Saturday.

The estimated crowd of 8,000 at River Downs roared approval for Johnson, the Bengals wide receiver who said his runaway win would jump-start a side career in doing sporting stunts for charity.

"Floyd Mayweather, you're next," he said. "I want to fight you. I'd like to take Kobe (Bryant) and LeBron (James) one-on-one. Jeff Gordon, we can take a couple laps."

Johnson's win against Restore the Roar legitimized his pre-race predictions. "Look at him over there," Johnson said, pointing to Restore the Roar, dancing about on his way to the track. "This is how DBs feel before the game. He's antsy."

Johnson also had some words for Restore the Roar's jockey, P.J. Cooksey, who rode a horse in 1993 that defeated former Bengals wide receiver Cris Collinsworth.

"I read in the newspaper about this being her turf and her world," Johnson said. "Now it's my time to take over the race world."

He has a chance, according to the losing jockey.

"When I looked over at him, all I could see were his legs; they looked like a windmill," Cooksey said. "He was a blur. I was beat bad."

Johnson, who rode a horse around the winner's circle, suggested he might be back at River Downs later this summer to race another foe.

"Street Sense, Curlin," he said. "Whichever one's supposed to be the best horse."

Apparently a horse can't cover Chad Johnson. For that, you need a Harris.

Packgator
06-10-2007, 09:26 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/SPT02/706100404/1066/rss07

Horse can't cover No. 85

It looked like Johnson had a big headstart. Wasn't mentioned though.

MJZiggy
06-10-2007, 09:29 AM
And the horse was at least 14 years old...

Brando19
06-10-2007, 09:30 AM

Horse can't cover No. 85

If you continue reading just a few more lines, it says Johnson had a 100-meter head start. He could have easily been injured doing this and there goes his upcoming season! He doesn't think very much.

Rastak
06-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Horse can't cover No. 85

Huge head start......a totally pointless competition. Kind of like Billie Jean King in her prime against an old guy who never was that great and calling it an even fight and making it out to be some sort of an accomplishment.

He should have been a couple stalls down and run an even race...who wins then?

Patler
06-10-2007, 09:35 AM
With enough of a headstart, I can beat an Indy car!
Boy, am I ever fast!

Tarlam!
06-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Love Cad and this is why:

"This is how DBs feel before the game. He's antsy."

Laughed myelf stupid on that line....

Brandon494
06-10-2007, 09:55 AM
He did it for charity, who cares if he got a headstart.

Joemailman
06-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Chad had a 100 meter head start, in what I believe was about a 200 meter race. Nonetheless, nice to see a Bengal doing something worthwhile in his spare time.

Patler
06-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Nonetheless, nice to see a Bengal doing something worthwhile in his spare time.

Good point!

pbmax
06-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Chad occassionally tries to do too much for charity. If I remember correctly, he is being sued, along with a comedy club, for offering a luxury or sports car as a prize in a promotion that he hasn't delivered on.

This is also the guy that asked for an extra allotment of tickets from the Head Coach of the Saints within a day or two of the game and then stiffed the coach for repayment for weeks.

Not saying he isn't a good guy, but he clearly gets a little ahead of himself.

Chad had a 100 meter head start, in what I believe was about a 200 meter race. Nonetheless, nice to see a Bengal doing something worthwhile in his spare time.

Joemailman
06-10-2007, 10:15 AM
With enough of a headstart, I can beat an Indy car!
Boy, am I ever fast!

http://www.foytracing.com/IndyCar/2006_reports/photos/Bucknum%20at%20speed%20at%20Milwaukee.jpg

VS.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/images/avatars/232914490e0c79deab.jpg

Go Patler Go!

:wave:

Scott Campbell
06-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Kind of like Billie Jean King in her prime against an old guy who never was that great and calling it an even fight and making it out to be some sort of an accomplishment.

The accomplishment wasn't in the win. It was in the fact that people still talk about it 30 years later. It was pure theater that found an enormous audience.

4and12to12and4
06-10-2007, 11:59 AM
One thing I love about Chad Johnson is that he stays in the headlines, and doesn't shy from the media, and is a bright, witty young man, yet he stays out of trouble. Most other wideouts like him stay in the headlines for negative reasons, but he knows how to do it without being a jagoff. He's cocky in a confident way, just like you hope your receiver is, without the negative baggage. I like this kid, headstart or not.

4and12to12and4
06-10-2007, 12:02 PM
The only issue with this story is the name of this thread, because he didn't "outrace" the horse. But who really cares, he's a master at staying in the spotlight, and it has bolsted his pocketbook, that's for sure.

packers11
06-10-2007, 12:05 PM
hahaha hes so cocky... He wants to fight Floyd in a boxing charity event...

HE WOULD GET SO SMOKED... I hope he is joking... The Bengals would never let him step into the ring with Floyd, I hope this next event happens :!:

MadtownPacker
06-10-2007, 12:08 PM
One thing I love about Chad Johnson is that he stays in the headlines, and doesn't shy from the media, and is a bright, witty young man, yet he stays out of trouble. Most other wideouts like him stay in the headlines for negative reasons, but he knows how to do it without being a jagoff. He's cocky in a confident way, just like you hope your receiver is, without the negative baggage. I like this kid, headstart or not.Agreed! I wouldn't mind CJ on the Pack roster. He works hard and plays hard. Yes he talks alot of smack but mostly backs it up. DD and him would be the ultimate Ying and Yang.

Rastak
06-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Kind of like Billie Jean King in her prime against an old guy who never was that great and calling it an even fight and making it out to be some sort of an accomplishment.

The accomplishment wasn't in the win. It was in the fact that people still talk about it 30 years later. It was pure theater that found an enormous audience.

I will grant you that it was a remarkably hyped event and it amazes me to no end we are still talking about it. I dismissed it as a joke once I realized what it really was. If Billie Jean King had beaten Nastase or Conners I'D still be talking about it. I was a bit wrong about Riggs, he was a top player in the 1940's and wasn't 60 something but 55 when one of the worlds top women beat him in straight sets.

Edit: I'm guessing in 30 years we won't be talking about CJ's magnificent victory. :D

swede
06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm wondering what would have happened if CJ had broken an ankle on the track. :shock:

In his case, it really would be the humane thing to do.

KYPack
06-10-2007, 05:06 PM
This stunt is one of the oldest gimmicks ever run.

Jesses Owens used to do it to make a living 60 years ago.

Swede if you think Chad is a bad dude, you ain't been paying attention.

Nobody shows up on time with more consistency or works harder in practice than Chad.
The hype stuff is all bullshit to make money. He's a tough ballplayer and a gamer all the way.

CyclonePackFan
06-10-2007, 06:20 PM
You want a charity match?

Chad Johnson vs. Chuck Liddell/Randy Couture/any good MMA fighter. I'd pay a lot of money to see "Number 85" tap out.

LEWCWA
06-11-2007, 02:00 AM

Horse can't cover No. 85

If you continue reading just a few more lines, it says Johnson had a 100-meter head start. He could have easily been injured doing this and there goes his upcoming season! He doesn't think very much.

The guy ran a 100 yard dash, ohhh the threat of injury...what he's supposed to just stay in his bed all off season for fear of a falling meteor!! Just stupid.

OS PA
06-11-2007, 05:12 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VWGoSc28B1M