PDA

View Full Version : Good article on Culpepper

Guiness
06-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Less than three years removed from a season in which he tossed 39 touchdown passes, it's difficult to fathom that Daunte Culpepper's tenure as a significant player in the NFL is already over.

It's certainly difficult for the 30-year-old Culpepper to accept. But some franchises are still curious to see what's left in his powerful right arm and what the status is of a right knee shredded by a catastrophic 2005 injury.

Which is why Culpepper, persona non grata in Miami only 15 months after having been hailed there as the long-overdue replacement for Dan Marino, figures to relocate via trade (unlikely) or free agency (more plausible) if the Dolphins grant his request to release him.

The Dolphins have granted Culpepper, whose base salary for 2007 is $5.5 million and whose contract runs through the 2013 season, permission to speak to other teams. A franchise that would probably accept a ham sandwich as trade compensation for Culpepper -- OK, actually a low-round draft choice -- at least isn't being totally ham-handed about the situation, now that it has secured Trent Green as its latest presumptive quarterback/savior.

How many viable suitors an on-the-market Culpepper can quickly identify, working as his own agent, remains to be seen. But even in a league where there is always plenty of rhetoric about the dearth of quality quarterbacks but few realistic job openings to validate the talk, Culpepper will stir up an offer or two. After all, this is a player whose 110.9 passer efficiency rating in 2004 rates as the fourth highest in league history, even though it occurred two teams and two knee surgeries ago.

It's one thing to fall from grace. But it's nearly impossible for any quarterback with a pulse and a résumé to tumble completely out of the NFL. Even with what has transpired in the past two seasons, Culpepper is not yet reduced to blip status on the league's radar screen.

But here's the rub: The prideful Culpepper, justifiably or not, still considers himself a starter. And right now in the NFL, despite the perception to the contrary in some quarters, it doesn't take a handful of fingers to count the starting opportunities available only six or seven weeks before teams begin reporting for training camps.

Which will make Culpepper's task, no matter how tempting his résumé might be to some general manager or coach, all the more formidable.

How formidable? Chew on this: Three of six general managers and personnel directors with whom ESPN.com spoke about Culpepper since Thursday afternoon acknowledged that the first call they would make if they needed to hastily fill a spot on their quarterback depth chart would be to the retired Drew Bledsoe. The other three allowed that Culpepper would be a factor for them, but emphasized they couldn't guarantee him a starting job. Or even the chance to compete for one.

This for a quarterback with four 3,000-yard passing seasons, one 4,000-yard campaign, 137 touchdown passes, an average of 25.8 touchdown passes in the five seasons in which he was physically whole and started double-digit games and a laudable career rating of 90.8. That Culpepper might be viewed as just yesterday's news to a lot of teams might be not only news, but a harsh dose of reality, to him.

Certainly, the truth hurts. But what might hurt Culpepper in the market is the fact that he still has physical issues 19 months after his knee blew apart as he scrambled upfield against the Carolina Panthers on Oct. 30, 2005. On top of that, his financial demands might be excessive for a guy with so many questions still buzzing around him. While he might agree to take a shot with a team that promises him only a backup role, his pride won't allow him to accept caddie status. Adding him because of who he is, or at least who he was until that fateful afternoon in 2005, could cause distractions for a team.

Any or all of those things could conspire to reduce the number of franchises that might consider Culpepper even as a curiosity.

Take, for example, the Jacksonville Jaguars, a team that has been widely speculated might have interest in Culpepper. Certainly the Jags have uncertainty at quarterback, with Byron Leftwich entering the final year of his contract and David Garrard struggling down the stretch in 2006.

Jacksonville officials have spent much of the offseason trying to rebuild the confidence of Leftwich and attempting to regain his trust. Leftwich has lost some weight, improved his mobility a bit and rededicated himself. Coach Jack Del Rio has proclaimed the former first-rounder his starter. And first-year offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter is said to have fallen hard for the four-year veteran.

To suddenly interject Culpepper into that environment, no matter how it's spun publicly, would undo much of what the Jaguars have spent the spring trying to accomplish. No matter how confident Leftwich is, he might feel betrayed and certainly his head would once again be on a swivel.

Yet the talent of Culpepper remains such, at least perceptually, that Jacksonville officials are said to be at least tinkering with the notion of checking him out.

And there are almost certainly other franchises, though probably not quite as many teams as Culpepper might like, who are similarly teased. Baltimore, New England, Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota and St. Louis have been mentioned -- although not by anyone who has decision-making authority in any of those precincts because it would be violating the NFL tampering rules. Yet all of those teams share a common denominator.

None is prepared to offer Culpepper, who figures to suffer a little ego comedown at some point soon, a starting job. And as Culpepper continues to try to navigate his way around the various potholes in his path, it's that reality that might be as tough to reconcile as anything he has been through physically the past two years.

In a league whose many hallmarks include the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mind-set, Culpepper hasn't done much at all since 2004.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer with ESPN.com.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing short of amazing how far this guy has fallen the past two seasons. And getting bumped for Green, who can't have more than a couple of seasons left, and there isn't even really another QB on Miami's roster!

Jimx29
06-10-2007, 02:36 PM
couldn't of happened to a more arrogant person

Tarlam!
06-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Good. As I said in another thread, this guy had it coming to him. Glad he got it.

Rastak
06-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Good. As I said in another thread, this guy had it coming to him. Glad he got it.

Actually he was pretty cool until he had that breakout year in 2004. He most definately got cocky and although he had a great year, he wasn't quite as good as he thought he was.

packrulz
06-10-2007, 05:37 PM

Actually he was pretty cool until he had that breakout year in 2004. He most definately got cocky and although he had a great year, he wasn't quite as good as he thought he was.

90% of NFL players are cocky, the big deal is his knee, can he even pass a physical? If I was him I'd focus on rehabbing and hire an agent to deal with the trade. He's big, has experience, and a great arm. I thought the 'fins threw him in to the starting spot too soon. I'm suprised the Bears don't check him out.

MJZiggy
06-10-2007, 05:41 PM
They still have the crazy notion that Wrexy can function as an NFL quarterback.

Merlin
06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
If the Bears want to even think about winning a Super Bowl, they should grab Cullpepper. How bad of a gamble would it be really? Grossman, Greise & Ortman don't exactly have any kind of records or stats to fall back on. At least Cullpepper played half way decent for the Queens for a few years. He knows the NFC North and if he came back to form, at least when the bomb got thrown it would be there.

Tarlam!
06-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Agreed. Da Bears should grab this guy. He is arguably better than the sum of their QB's, even injured. And as Merlin points out, he is a N'Norther. That must count for a few TD's....

woodbuck27
06-11-2007, 02:42 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070611/SPORTS08/706110357/1004/SPORTS

Terry Foster: Terry's Town

Culpepper way past his prime

Once upon a time Daunte Culpepper was the hottest quarterback in the NFL. He threw deep balls to Randy Moss in Minnesota and appeared in the Pro Bowl. Fantasy players loved him because he put up gigantic numbers.

The Miami Dolphins want to trade Culpepper. Culpepper wants to be released so he can work out a deal with the team of his choice. Some Lions fans are piling on because Lions coach Rod Marinelli is not interested in Culpepper.

Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee during the 2005 season and was traded to Miami. The Dolphins tried to rush him back, and he injured his kneecap and had a second surgery to ease the pain.

My guess is he will never be the same. I've spoken to people who say he walks on egg shells and believe he won't be 75 percent of his former self. He won't be able to get push off his legs to throw the long balls that once crushed the Lions.

The Lions are right in taking a pass.

If Culpepper is going to be great again, why are the Dolphins so eager to get rid of him? They see him every day and they'd rather go with 37-year-old Trent Green.

In four games last season, Culpepper threw two touchdown passes, three interceptions and was sacked 21 times. Former coach Nick Saban shut him down because he believed Culpepper could not protect himself.

The Lions don't need the distraction of bringing in a player whose best days are over.

MORE LIONS NEWS !!

Rookie sensation

Everybody is impressed with Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson . In fact, one ambitious Lion told me he is going to become the LeBron James of the NFL. Let's not put that pressure on Johnson, the Lions' first-round pick this year.

Defensive end Ikaika Alama-Francis isn't getting as much attention. But the word is, this guy is going to be fantastic. He has great hands and balance and is quick within space. He's not an instinctive pass rusher yet, but he should be very strong against the run. Coaches are thrilled because they believe, in time, his work ethic will place him ahead of linemen drafted ahead of him.

You can reach Terry Foster at (313) 222-1494 or terry.foster@detnews.com.

Tarlam!
06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Everybody is impressed with Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson . In fact, one ambitious Lion told me he is going to become the LeBron James of the NFL.

:jack:

God I hope not! I remember hating it when they called his name draft day! I am NEVER right. Why should I be this time?

woodbuck27
06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10224866

Leftwich: Jaguars interested in quarterback Culpepper

June 13, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jaguars apparently wouldn't mind seeing Daunte Culpepper join them this season, even though they already have two capable quarterbacks in Byron Leftwich and David Garrard.

Leftwich and Garrard both said Wednesday that the Jaguars have told them they have interest in acquiring Culpepper -- that is, assuming the disgruntled Miami quarterback gets the release he's seeking from the Dolphins, who are trying instead to trade him.

"Any time you have a quarterback the caliber of Daunte Culpepper, any time you can add a guy to your roster of that caliber, as an organization it's smart to look into that," Leftwich said. "Especially with me having one year left on my contract, that's not a bad business move if you were to look at it from that point. I have no problems with it, no problems whatsoever."

Culpepper, acquired by Miami before the 2006 season, had his best NFL seasons with the Minnesota Vikings and coach Mike Tice -- now an assistant head coach in Jacksonville under Jack Del Rio.

"When there's a story to talk about we'll talk, but there's really nothing," Del Rio said.

"We continually look for opportunities to strengthen our roster and investigate things all the time. Many don't pan out. ... I wouldn't make any more of it than that."

Culpepper, who serves as his own agent, obtained permission from the Dolphins last week to talk to other teams.

Miami began trying to trade Culpepper -- still rehabbing from a serious knee injury in 2005 -- last week after trading for Trent Green with the Kansas City Chiefs.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service