PDA

View Full Version : King On Patriots

Packnut
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree with his opinions. NE will be ranked in the top 3 offenses come season's end. Brady has the kind of options Favre can only imagine in his dreams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/06/11/mmqb/index.html?cnn=yes

packers11
06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I hate all the praise they are getting... It is extremely annoying especially if you live in New England ...

wist43
06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
If they're not the favorite to win it all, they're at least on the very short list...

Everybody know's they've got the coach and the QB... those are the two biggest pieces of the puzzle. Fleshing out the rest of the roster to make another run while Brady is still in his prime was the smart thing to do.

Doesn't every Packers fan wish that Wolfe had been bold in his attempts to get the Packers back to the SB while Favre was still in his prime??? Or that Sherman had been a better talent evaluator in his attempts to flesh out the roster...

To me, it's about winning championships.

woodbuck27
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
If they're not the favorite to win it all, they're at least on the very short list...

Everybody know's they've got the coach and the QB... those are the two biggest pieces of the puzzle. Fleshing out the rest of the roster to make another run while Brady is still in his prime was the smart thing to do.

Doesn't every Packers fan wish that Wolfe had been bold in his attempts to get the Packers back to the SB while Favre was still in his prime??? Or that Sherman had been a better talent evaluator in his attempts to flesh out the roster...

To me, it's about winning championships.

To me as a Packer fan.

It's about a teams GM and his coaching staff working 365 days a year to always give their best efforts to improving the teams roster.

Day in and day out that has to be the primary objective.

We are a long ways fr. that in Green Bay.

packinpatland
06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I hate all the praise they are getting... It is extremely annoying especially if you live in New England ...

Took the words right out of my mouth.

BallHawk
06-11-2007, 02:46 PM
If the Patriots don't win it this year, things are going to change in New England. The Patriots, statistically, should win the Super Bowl this year. However, the jury is still out on how all these new players are going to gel with each other. They could have all the talent in the world, but without the ability to harness it, it's useless.

Of course, I would love to see the Pats fall flat on their faces. Patriot fans have come to think that their team "deserves" to win the Super Bowl. Nothing would satisfy me more then a one-and-done in the playoffs.

rpiotr01
06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Stallworth is going to get hurt this year and miss a good amount of time. Moss will miss time too.

That's a WR corp that makes a fantasy owner drool, sure, but I don't have a good feeling about them. Moss is a wild card, of course. I wouldn't be surprised to see him catch 17 TDs. Or 3.

Meh, I'm not impressed with them. Certainly not as good a team as the '03 to '04 team that won 2 straight titles.

Tarlam!
06-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Doesn't every Packers fan wish that Wolfe had been bold in his attempts to get the Packers back to the SB while Favre was still in his prime???

I am the eggman
They are the eggmen
I am the walrus
Goo goo g' joob

That's what I think screwed us....

LL2
06-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I rooted for the Pats in the past and they should win it all. I will be rooting against them this year. Not so much because I hate them now, but I don’t want them to have more SB trophies than the Packers. I hate the fact SF and Dallas have more than GB.

MJZiggy
06-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It'll be 'specially sweet if they stumble. It's happened before you know...

privatepacker
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I think there's a team called the Chargers that may have something to say about who will wear the AFC crown.

b bulldog
06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
The Chargers are my pick and don't forget the Broncos. His WR corp is totally oppossite from last years corp, night and day difference.

LL2
06-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Got to wonder when the NFC conference is going to dominate again?

packers11
06-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Got to wonder when the NFC conference is going to dominate again?

Uhh youll regret that when the packers go 16-0 this year...

:glug: *puts down koolaid :bump:

pbmax
06-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Previous winners of the offseason: Vikings, Redskins, Cardinals, Broncos, Giants, Dolphins, Eagles, Cowboys and Saints. And Peter loved them all, esp. Cardinals and Cowboys.

Super Bowls? Nope. 1 appearance though!

Lofty expectations due to fawning coverage, name recognition and praise of ability before a game had been played? Yep.

:roll:

This isn't baseball, no one has bought a championship yet. Except those cap cheating Broncos in 1997-8.

Patler
06-12-2007, 01:00 AM

Yup. I know Wolfe was responsible for the players on the two appearances they had, and it had been a very long time since they had been there, but I've never quite understood the god-like reverence paid to Wolf. He had a QB who was very young, and had been there twice already. He didn't do a good job keeping them among the elite.

As for Sherman....

GrnBay007
06-12-2007, 01:21 AM
As for Sherman....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Tromadz/mike-sherman-sleeping.jpg

:P

pbmax
06-12-2007, 01:42 AM
I was initially a fan of Wolf's sign your own, it seemed a reasonable alternative to expensive free agency shopping. And it seemed especially smart when the June 1st cap casualties list started to thin out.

But as wist has pointed out, they had difficulty drafting for defense and as that unit aged they never found a second safety or CB under Wolf, and struggled to replace the pieces of the defensive line.

Eventually, sign your own looked more and more like sign your own mediocre soon-to-be-free-agents to overpriced contracts. Yes, I am looking at you Robert Brooks (not mediocre as much as injured) and Santana Dotson (old and getting older).

Its hard to call Wolf out for not being bold, the guy got Ahman Green for Fred Vinson in 2000. But in the aftermath of the second Super Bowl, the defense needed more help.

Yup. I know Wolfe was responsible for the players on the two appearances they had, and it had been a very long time since they had been there, but I've never quite understood the god-like reverence paid to Wolf. He had a QB who was very young, and had been there twice already. He didn't do a good job keeping them among the elite.

As for Sherman....

Packnut
06-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Previous winners of the offseason: Vikings, Redskins, Cardinals, Broncos, Giants, Dolphins, Eagles, Cowboys and Saints. And Peter loved them all, esp. Cardinals and Cowboys.

Super Bowls? Nope. 1 appearance though!

Lofty expectations due to fawning coverage, name recognition and praise of ability before a game had been played? Yep.

:roll:

This isn't baseball, no one has bought a championship yet. Except those cap cheating Broncos in 1997-8.

The difference is, none of them had Brady. Love him or hate him, what he's accomplished can't be trivialized. We've watched him succeed without many weapons so it will be fun to watch what he does with a little firepower. Plus it does'nt hurt to have a stud like Maroney.

The Leaper
06-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Eventually, sign your own looked more and more like sign your own mediocre soon-to-be-free-agents to overpriced contracts. Yes, I am looking at you Robert Brooks (not mediocre as much as injured) and Santana Dotson (old and getting older).

I agree that Wolf sat on his hands too much when the Packers were at their peak. As I've always pointed out, the offensive players around Favre in the mid 90s were NOT great players...not a single one. Favre made every one of them. Levens? OK. Brooks? OK. Chmura? OK. Freeman? OK. None of those guys are household names without Favre or the ridiculously talented coaching staff that Holmgren put together. The talent Wolf drafted actually wasn't all that hot in hindsight...just fortunate to be placed with a superior coaching staff and one of the all-time great QBs in his prime.

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2007, 09:32 AM

As for Sherman....

To be fair, this is a new era. Outside of New England, how many teams have maintained their dominance? None. Maybe Indianapolis. Dallas, San Francisco, Denver, San Diego, Carolina, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Tampa Bay, NY Giants, Atlanta are all teams that have gone to Super Bowls in the FA era who have't been able to maintain their success much after those years. Really, Green Bay is among the group that went to one or two Super Bowls and maintained some modicum of success (and really didn't hit rock bottom for a long time). The only teams that have been able to duplicate that are Pittsburgh and Denver, and they sunk even lower than the Packers--until 2005 (four years after Wolf left).

I figure an old-timer like you would be able to appreciate where the franchise was when Wolf took over, the success it had while he was here, and where it was comparatively when he left. He deserves the reverence. In earlier eras it would have been much more possible to maintain the excellence.

Packnut
06-12-2007, 09:55 AM

As for Sherman....

To be fair, this is a new era. Outside of New England, how many teams have maintained their dominance? None. Maybe Indianapolis. Dallas, San Francisco, Denver, San Diego, Carolina, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Tampa Bay, NY Giants, Atlanta are all teams that have gone to Super Bowls in the FA era who have't been able to maintain their success much after those years. Really, Green Bay is among the group that went to one or two Super Bowls and maintained some modicum of success (and really didn't hit rock bottom for a long time). The only teams that have been able to duplicate that are Pittsburgh and Denver, and they sunk even lower than the Packers--until 2005 (four years after Wolf left).

I figure an old-timer like you would be able to appreciate where the franchise was when Wolf took over, the success it had while he was here, and where it was comparatively when he left. He deserves the reverence. In earlier eras it would have been much more possible to maintain the excellence.

Wolf should have had 2 SB wins in his resume which would have elevated his status much higher. We can only wonder how 97 would have went IF Holmgren had'nt screwed up and left us light on the D line. If only he had activated 1 more lineman for that game..............

Iron Mike
06-12-2007, 10:23 AM

As for Sherman....

Wolf should have had 2 SB wins in his resume which would have elevated his status much higher. We can only wonder how 97 would have went IF Holmgren had'nt screwed up and left us light on the D line. If only he had activated 1 more lineman for that game..............

Or if Gabe Wilkins hadn't been such a pussy. :evil: