PDA

View Full Version : "GB locker room not mature enough to handle Moss"

motife
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/10/49ers-passed-on-chance-to-land-randy-moss/

49ers Passed on Chance to Land Randy Moss

I think Scot McCloughan got it right. He's the 49ers vice president of player personal who had a chance to land one of the league's best receivers, but ultimately passed:

When the Raiders were shopping receiver Randy Moss, they called the 49ers, who were in search of upgrades at the position. But McCloughan, who probably had the Antonio Bryant situation in mind, said the 49ers weren't interested.

Primarily because McCloughan felt San Francisco's locker room didn't have the veteran leadership in place to handle a potentially divisive player like Moss. San Francisco fans might disagree, but former Patriots quarterback-turned-Sirius-NFL-analyst Jim Miller sides with McCloughan:

"I think it's huge; any team I've been on that's made it to the playoffs or has had a successful season, it's all about the locker room -- how guys approach each other, treat each other with respect, how guys police themselves and the camaraderie that develops."

And that's why -- at least from Miller's perspective -- the Patriots really didn't risk much to acquire Moss: New England's veteran locker room can handle it. Miller adds: "You can't let one person alter the ship, and that's why I think a team like Green Bay, even with Brett Favre at quarterback, probably made the right decision. I don't think they're a mature enough team right now to handle Randy Moss." Somebody should remind Favre of this.

The Leaper
06-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Generally I would agree with this viewpoint. However, I think the Packer locker room has far more veteran leadership than the SF locker room. The biggest stars in SF are Smith, Gore and Davis...all very young kids. That is a far cry from Favre, Driver, Franks, etc.

I think Green Bay has the veteran leadership to support a potential head case like Moss. I do not think SF does.

packinpatland
06-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Moss is the proverbial 'bad apple'................not too sure any locker room is immune to his rotteness.

Kiwon
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
The Packers were the youngest team in the league last year. There's some truth to the article's point but the Packers made a play for Moss anyway. Concern over his influence on the team didn't keep TT from making an attempt.

packinpatland
06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Concern over his influence on the team didn't keep TT from making an attempt.

As feeble as that may have been. :wink:

oregonpackfan
06-11-2007, 10:13 PM
With Moss not joining the Packers its not so much "Water under the bridge" but "Pollution under the bridge."

The Packers are better off without him.

GrnBay007
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
I think all the negative feedback/speculation about Moss is actually kinda funny. There was quite the split between Packer fans over who wanted him and those that were sickened at the thought of him being a Packer. I don't condone any of his past "behaviors", but when you really look at it, things have been very quiet on the Moss Front the last 1-2 yrs. ....unless I missed some of his drama? Anyway, anyone else think that maybe...just maybe, he's grown up and understands it's time to get really serious if he's ever to make it to the BIG game and get a ring before his career is over? I mean, it does happen...not all bad apples stay bad apples. I can see him playing big this season....and no drama....and several Packer fans posting they really wished Favre had that target.

Packers4Ever
06-11-2007, 10:50 PM
I think all the negative feedback/speculation about Moss is actually kinda funny. There was quite the split between Packer fans over who wanted him and those that were sickened at the thought of him being a Packer. I don't condone any of his past "behaviors", but when you really look at it, things have been very quiet on the Moss Front the last 1-2 yrs. ....unless I missed some of his drama? Anyway, anyone else think that maybe...just maybe, he's grown up and understands it's time to get really serious if he's ever to make it to the BIG game and get a ring before his career is over? I mean, it does happen...not all bad apples stay bad apples. I can see him playing big this season....and no drama....and several Packer fans posting they really wished Favre had that target.

GB007, wish I could totally agree with you but I feel this apple
holds too big a worm to totally change. He *may* mature by age 40 or
so, what good would a WR be to anyone by then? I intend to watch what goes on in the Patriots' house
as much as possible this season, it could be interesting..... :shock:

GrnBay007
06-11-2007, 10:56 PM

GB007, wish I could totally agree with you but I feel this apple
holds too big a worm to totally change. He *may* mature by age 40 or
so, what good would a WR be to anyone by then? I intend to watch what goes on in the Patriots' house
as much as possible this season, it could be interesting..... :shock:

Yep, I guess we'll see. Guess it's time to see if he grows up or looks a gift horse in the mouth.

If I was a bettin kinda gal.... :P ....I'd say he takes advantage of the situation he's in and plays by the book!

pbmax
06-11-2007, 11:55 PM
There has to be a better way to describe this situation. How about "The Locker Room doesn't have room for more immaturity?" :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
06-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Some of you may remember that the GM in San Francisco used to be in the scouting department in Green Bay but left like so many other to Seattle with Mike Holmgren.

Last year in the off season he gave the same reason for passing on Koren Robinson. Robinson later signed with the vikings which lead to disaster.

McCloughan also referred to a psychological test that first was used by Wolf. The was given to Robinson that indicated trouble and they had ignored that test in Seattle. He said it was Seattle's own mistake to take Robinson by not relying on their own data.

McCloughan always praises Wolf for teaching him almost all he knows about evaluating talent. He said the 49'er draft board is down before February 1 and they only modify it slightly after the combine.

He puts much more stock on how guys play football not how they perform in shorts for 40 times or vertical leaps.

This guy is a young GM. His name will pop up in the future.

PackerBlues
06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, a lot of people are going to be watching NE this year. Mainly because of Moss. Why would anyone outside of Wisconsin want to watch the Packers at all? The only big news surrounding this team that anyone cares about, would be the whole "is Brett going to retire after this year" crap.
While people will speculate that Moss would have been a bad influence on our young players the same thing had been said about Andre Rison, and Terry Glenn.
I am of the opinion, that having Moss on our team would have made our young guys try harder. I also think the extra media attention would have done the team a lot of good. Dont bother bashing my opinion, because I can fully understand why someone elses opinion would differ. Moss does have a history of being a cancer of sorts. I just like to believe that people can change for the better if put in the right situation. It seemed to work for other guys that had been labeled as a "problem child" in the past.

packers11
06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Why would anyone outside of Wisconsin want to watch the Packers at all?

if they are a packers fan... :)

I just spent 200 something dollars again for NFL sunday ticket, in New England they hardly show any of the NFC north games...

Its usually the Pats, Philly, or Giants... Mainly all East Coast games...

But my NFL sunday ticket with HD/DVR on my nice DLP will solve that problem :lol:

rpiotr01
06-12-2007, 10:39 AM

I think he was quiet the past 2 years because he was busy being hurt, pouting and being outplayed by scrubs. That leaves very little time for starting trouble, you know :wink:

BallHawk
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I can understand what Miller is saying and even agree with it. The Packers locker room is maturing, but I don't know what having a guy like Moss would do for the team. If Brett retires after this year, Randy would still be here. What's Randy gonna say when Aaron Rodgers is throwing up lame ducks game after game?

retailguy
06-12-2007, 11:57 AM
I can understand what Miller is saying and even agree with it. The Packers locker room is maturing, but I don't know what having a guy like Moss would do for the team. If Brett retires after this year, Randy would still be here. What's Randy gonna say when Aaron Rodgers is throwing up lame ducks game after game?

Not relevant when you consider that Moss wanted a ONE YEAR contract, is it?

MJZiggy
06-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I thought we wanted to give him a one-year and he wanted more?

PackerBlues
06-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I thought we wanted to give him a one-year and he wanted more?

nope, backwards........Moss wanted one year, Thompson wanted two.

It makes sense for Moss, people are saying he is done, and just a shell of his former self. Moss obviously wants to prove them wrong. With the one year contract, if he manages to prove everyone wrong........imagine the money he makes on his next contract. He wont come cheap.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, a lot of people are going to be watching NE this year. Mainly because of Moss. Why would anyone outside of Wisconsin want to watch the Packers at all? The only big news surrounding this team that anyone cares about, would be the whole "is Brett going to retire after this year" crap.
While people will speculate that Moss would have been a bad influence on our young players the same thing had been said about Andre Rison, and Terry Glenn.
I am of the opinion, that having Moss on our team would have made our young guys try harder. I also think the extra media attention would have done the team a lot of good. Dont bother bashing my opinion, because I can fully understand why someone elses opinion would differ. Moss does have a history of being a cancer of sorts. I just like to believe that people can change for the better if put in the right situation. It seemed to work for other guys that had been labeled as a "problem child" in the past.

I don't know about Glenn, but the rison comparison is way off. The GB lockerroom had way to many vets: keith jackson, reggie, santana, sean jones, etc.

Rison was sincere in his desire to play with a winner.

I always contend that getting rid of him was a mistake. They thought he would cause problems being the third receiver. I say those problems woulda never materialized with the strong vet presence and being on a winner. Some players just can't handle losing.

oregonpackfan
06-12-2007, 03:35 PM
I suggest everyone read the article about Randy Moss that appears in a new thread. It details the perceived "60% effort" Moss displayed in the Pats practice.

You may be grateful that Moss is "One who got away."

Tarlam!
06-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I just spent 200 something dollars again for NFL sunday ticket, in New England they hardly show any of the NFC north games...

Its usually the Pats, Philly, or Giants... Mainly all East Coast games...

But my NFL sunday ticket with HD/DVR on my nice DLP will solve that problem :lol:

That's worthy of its own thread!

Scott Campbell
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't condone any of his past "behaviors", but when you really look at it, things have been very quiet on the Moss Front the last 1-2 yrs.

I think he was pretty disruptive in Oakland - hence the fire sale. The only quiet on the Moss front for the last 2 years has been his production.