PDA

View Full Version : Moss’ growth minimal: First camp looks like slow-motion repl

packers11
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1006060&format=text

Moss’ growth minimal: First camp looks like slow-motion replay
By Michael Felger/ Patriots Insider
Boston Herald Patriots Beat Columnist

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - Updated: 06:29 AM EST

FOXBORO - If you want to get excited about Randy Moss and what he’ll bring to the Patriots [team stats] in 2007, here’s a bit of advice:

Don’t watch him practice.

That was the impression made during the four days of non-contact workouts the media was allowed to watch last week at Gillette Stadium.

Perhaps Moss will ramp it up when training camp opens July 27, but if minicamp was any indication, fans probably shouldn’t expect any fireworks.

Nearly every regional and national media outlet was there to record Moss’ Patriots introduction, and most reports focused on the promise he brings to Tom Brady [stats] and the offense. Many dispatches also made sure to point out the three or four nice catches he made during those four days. In addition, Moss spoke to the media for about nine minutes Wednesday, which might have distracted the fourth estate from reporting what Moss actually did on the practice field.

Which, in short, wasn’t much.

While newcomers Wes Welker, Donte’ Stallworth and Kyle Brady hustled through their first days on the job, and veterans such as Tom Brady, Rodney Harrison [stats] and Tedy Bruschi [stats] continued to exemplify the Patriots Way, Moss moved at his own pace. He rarely dug in. More often than not, he glided. On balance, the most talented receiver of this generation was just another guy.

You’d have thought Moss would have taken the opportunity to make an early statement, maybe run from drill to drill across the field, lead the sprints at the end of practice, blow by the slower and smaller players trying to cover him, whatever. Show a little hustle. Little things.

But it pretty much was the opposite. Moss was content to remain in the pack. He never was first in line. He certainly didn’t make defensive backs look foolish. Aside from climbing the ladder once or twice on high throws, he didn’t give any hints of his prodigious physical gifts. It’s true the entire proceedings were run at about three-quarters speed, but that didn’t stop Brady, Welker and Harrison from giving full effort. Moss’speedometer seemed stuck at around 60 percent.

On Day 1, Moss stretched by himself while the rest of the team was in formation. On Day 4, coach Bill Belichick put his veterans through an extended session of field-length sprints (gassers). Moss was the last player in his position group to cross the end line on just about every one.
Based on his performance, it was as if Moss was saying, “I don’t care how I’m viewed. I don’t care about my reputation. I’m going about business the same way.”

In fact, that pretty much is what he said.

“To be honest with you,” Moss said, “I don’t plan on changing.”

In one regard, the statement showed some pride. Moss is no robot, and he clearly felt no need to put on a dog-and-pony show just because people expected him to. Perhaps he feels giving in like that diminishes what he’s done to this point of his Hall of Fame career. Fine.

But isn’t the comment a little scary coming from someone whose career just might be defined by this season?

Moss’ talent is beyond question. His numbers are cemented in the record books. But can he be a professional and an adult on a team defined by its work ethic? Can he be a trustworthy teammate and do all the little things it takes to be a champion? The Patriots have given Moss the opportunity to salvage a damaged reputation, just as they did with Corey Dillon [stats] in 2004. But does Moss understand the chance he’s been given?

On one level, the Patriots had better hope Moss was dogging it at minicamp, because if the performance was an actual indication of what Moss has left in the tank, the entire character discussion will become moot.

Moss’ former coaches in Oakland believe he lost his legs at some point the past few years. Art Shell laughed at reports of Moss running a sub-4.30 in the 40-yard dash two months ago. In a glowing report yesterday, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King quoted Harrison as saying there “ain’t no way (Moss has) lost his legs,” which might be true. It’s just that those legs weren’t on display while the cameras were rolling.

So maybe Moss simply didn’t want to bust out in his first week of practice. No problem. It’s only minicamp. Moss also didn’t want to give in to the character questions, which is fine, too. It’s June.

Talk to you again in September.

Nothing new here

Here’s another bit of advice if you’re looking to get excited about Moss:

Don’t listen to his teammates discuss his arrival, at least on the record.

It was obvious from the minicamp that Belichick put the kibosh on any over-the-top commentary on the Pats’ new, big-name acquisitions - whether it be Moss, Adalius Thomas or Stallworth. If you asked any Patriots player if there was any more buzz around Foxboro this summer because of the personnel spree, you got a team-first response.

Fullback Heath Evans [stats] gave a typical quote.

“You can add guys, but it’s still about this team,” Evans said. “I know at home (in Florida), at church and everything, everyone is excited. But expectations mean nothing. It’s still about the team. However Bill and Scott (Pioli) have been able to create that here is amazing. Is there excitement? Sure. But it’s for the team.”

Added cornerback Ellis Hobbs [stats]: “No one is on a pedestal here.”

Cool your Jets

Let’s just get one thing straight.

Hell will freeze over before the Patriots allow holdout, franchised corner Asante Samuel [stats] to bolt to the Jets - unless New York is willing to part with two first-round draft choices. Of course, it will also take hell freezing over before Eric Mangini gives Belichick and Pioli two first-rounders.

So there is no practical way for Samuel to end up with the Jets, just as there was no prayer of Deion Branch going to New York last year. So any conversations the Jets have with Samuel are done with only the intention of poisoning the waters in New England.

packers11
06-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Let the drama begin :drma:

BallHawk
06-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Moss plays when he wants to play.

But when he wants to play, can he?

The Leaper
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Moss is Moss...he's not going to change for Belichick or anyone else. When the lights come on, he'll show up when his number is called...and loaf the rest of the time.

To me, I don't see why the Pats wanted Moss. As the article points out...he's not their kind of player, and that will impact a team that would be a title contender even without Moss. Why open up your team to a potential risk like Moss when you have the talent otherwise to still make a strong run? It doesn't add up to me...I can see why Green Bay would be desperate enough to go after Moss, but the Pats?

Seems that Brady must have really wanted Moss as badly as Favre did...because I don't see the Pats trying this otherwise.

oregonpackfan
06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
The above article is a "Must-read" for every Packer fan who wanted TT to sign Randy Moss.

packrulz
06-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Really it doesn't mean a whole lot except in the offseason. The camps are voluntary, he was there, streached his legs and that was it. Kind of like the big Sopranos ending, "That's it?". Moss will not change a bit but with Brady throwing to him I expect he will do well, I would draft him in my fantasy league maybe in the 5th round. I do think he will be a pain in the ass for Belicheck at times though, it will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

Tarlam!
06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
The above article is a "Must-read" for every Packer fan who wanted TT to sign Randy Moss.

OPF, I know what you're saying. BUT!

My first day on the job in a new company these days is (I reckon) similar to Moss'. In my industry, I am a Moss-.like persona (In my industry, which is REALLY small). My last "first day" was one years and 12 days ago. NO WAY was I gonna "sprint from excercise to excercise"! How would that look?

What will undo Moss is this: Nick Collins smashing him up really badly in the SB next February and the ESPN highlight reel throughout the entire off season.

Scott Campbell
06-12-2007, 04:47 PM
This is the same guy that some wanted so badly they called for Ted's head for not landing him.

Obviously it's way too early, but this doesn't look good for NE.

Bretsky
06-12-2007, 05:45 PM
This is the same guy that some wanted so badly they called for Ted's head for not landing him.

Obviously it's way too early, but this doesn't look good for NE.

I don't know if anybody has called for TT's head yet; as much as he's frustrated me to no end for his free agency hibernation I'm more than willing to give him a chance next year and wait and see.

RashanGary
06-12-2007, 06:07 PM
He didn't say you, B. Some reacted Stronger than you.

Scott Campbell
06-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Agreed B hasn't called for Ted's head outright like some others. Though I wouldn't confuse B's schtick as neutral either.

The Leaper
06-12-2007, 06:18 PM

So how did Woodson and Harris look at the Packer OTAs?

Bretsky
06-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Agreed B hasn't called for Ted's head outright like some others. Though I wouldn't confuse B's schtick as neutral either.

And I'd hope nobody else would either :lol:

Packnut
06-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Some people need to realize that depending on a writers opinion, he can slant a story any way he wants. Last week there was a story about a tremendous catch Moss made on a Brady pass in the back of the end zone.

I suggest we wait until the bullets fly before we make any concrete judgements on Randy. Any one who forms opinions based on ota's really needs to take a step back.

Kiwon
06-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Give Moss his props....he's consistent - "I play when I want to play."

He had it easy with the media and fans in Minnesota. Oakland likes bad actors so he skated there too.

The northeast is a different story. The Pats media and the fans will eviscerate him if his 'tude overshadows his play. ESPN will keep the pot boiling as usual.

I agree....let the drama begin.

RashanGary
06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I wanted Moss but I also took it as a pretty strong indicator of just what NFL teams thought of him when GB and NE were the only suiters and he went for a 4th round pick and a smallish 1 year deal.

He's getting older and his knees are bad according to sources. I just dont' see him holding up if he can't/won't practice or prepare at his age.

pbmax
06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
An excellent question. But I am pretty sure Harris has been at OTAs. He was getting commended for it last weekend in the Journal-Sentinel.

Woodson has been accused of being aloof and injury prone, but not dogging it. If there is a concern here, its that the off-site training hasn't prevented some damaging injuries.

Truth be told though, I am not sure of any training method that can help to prevent breaking your leg other than diving faster.

So how did Woodson and Harris look at the Packer OTAs?