PDA

View Full Version : No Sound on new Windows Vista

Packers4Ever
06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I guess I'm not OT on RR, I've seen it all here, :wink:
Anyway - I bought a Windows Vista just 10 days ago, it's a great machine although a bit maddening like new ones can be til you know the ropes everywhere. Had XP before this.
My problem is - no sound, evidently a bit of a problem with Vista. I've been into the Control Panel of course and can find nothing that looks wrong although I'm no computer tech by any means. All volume controls turned up wherever I find it applicable. I did hear a very faint sound yesterday, it was accompanying a Forward I received in Windows Mail. As soon as the FWD finished, so did the tiny bit of sound.

Anybody have any simple ideas to try? My speakers have always been working fine. TIA !

packinpatland
06-12-2007, 07:20 PM
I know absolutely nothing about computers, as I have demonstrated many times, but I've had Vista for several months and have no problems.

MJZiggy
06-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I can't give you high tech support, but here are the absolutely basic and simple ideas. Working from the ground up:

1. Is the power plugged in to the speakers?
2. Are the speakers turned on?
3. Is the volume control on the speakers turned up?
4. Are they plugged into the right spot on the back of the machine?
5. Is the master volume control and the output volume in the control panel up (seems like you/ve done this part)
6. Have you tried rebooting?

Those are all the things I try before I start posting things in the Rants thread....

BallHawk
06-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Uh, oh, the V word has been mentioned. You've really done it for yourself now.

Partial is going to convince you to transfer to a Mac and wait till October when OS X 10.5 comes out.

Don't listen to him. :wink:

GBRulz
06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
I had the exact same problem with Vista at first...no sound. Most of the time, it's all about the driver. If you go to your computer manufacturers website, you should find a list of sound drivers to update with Vista. I, for example, have a Sony Vaio laptop and they did a nice job on their website for the "Vista upgrade section". Wish I could be more help, but there are alot of reasons as to why your sound doesn't work. But I would almost bet that it's a sound driver issue.

It was kind of a pain to update the drivers for Vista, but in the end worth it. I'm very happy with it.

Packers4Ever
06-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey ladies, ~ thanks for all the help and suggestions, and BH, what

would we do without your never-failing assistance? :) :wink:

MJ and GBR, will try all the suggestions. Funny, with all the sites/forums I

visited today re Vista, most of the complaints involved drivers for sound.

Hmmm...

Thanks again!

Scott Campbell
06-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I had the exact same problem with Vista at first...no sound. Most of the time, it's all about the driver.

Installing updated sound card drivers would be my first guess too. While your monkeying with it, play some MP3 files so there is constant sound. That way if you stumble upon the fix, you'll know.

I'm pretty decent with PC's, but I won't be installing Vista for quite a while yet. It's too early.

Zool
06-13-2007, 07:28 AM
I had the exact same problem with Vista at first...no sound. Most of the time, it's all about the driver.

Installing updated sound card drivers would be my first guess too. While your monkeying with it, play some MP3 files so there is constant sound. That way if you stumble upon the fix, you'll know.

I'm pretty decent with PC's, but I won't be installing Vista for quite a while yet. It's too early.All truths here. Drivers will be the most likely scenario. Go download the Vista driver, remove your existing driver then install the downloaded one.

I cant stress enough that people should wait for SP1 before upgrading to a new version of Windows. That way the public beta testing is already done for them and they can fix the major problems.

Packers4Ever
06-13-2007, 03:24 PM

I'm pretty decent with PC's, but I won't be installing Vista for quite a while yet. It's too early.All truths here. Drivers will be the most likely scenario. Go download the Vista driver, remove your existing driver then install the downloaded one.

I cant stress enough that people should wait for SP1 before upgrading to a new version of Windows. That way the public beta testing is already done for them and they can fix the major problems.

-----------------------------------------
I spent most of last evening sitting here browsing Microsoft sites and also reading about people's problems with Vista, almost all of them were complaints on sound and lack of drivers. Microsoft countered with their story that the manufacturers were failing to supply MS with an adequate number of drivers for Vista, hence many have come out on the market missing parts. That really made me boil, they're telling their customers to "fix it yourself." Why ship the product then? Oh yes, the $$$$$.
Arrrgghhhhh....

Next time I'll run it by you guys first, thanks again to all.