PDA

View Full Version : Beating a dead horse

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
:beat:

From a Press Gazette chat:

Ed Armour: Hi Mike, is it really true that Mike Sherman's 3-year tenure left the Packers a salary cap strapped, aged team in decline with no depth?

Consider the roster as it was when Sherman was fired as GM after the 2004 season. That team had 25 players penciled in as starters this year for their respective team, 15 likely to make teams, and 7 that could still make it. At least 6 have played in a Pro Bowl since, and only 4 were over 30 at the time; superstars Walker and Green were in their statistical primes. The team had as much youth and depth as could be hoped. The 2005 catastrophe was due to the horriffic injury situation, and the manueverings of Ted Thompson before the season.

There was also plenty of cap space, (especially when Mike Wahle is considered a free agent as it was assumed he would be by both parties), and the option to restructure Bret Favre's contract. Sherman never sacrificed the future, or even left Ted Thompson with his hands tied - he may not have been able to keep everybody, but he had options, (like the huge pay outs he made to Hunt, Klemm, and Diggs). We were in as good of a salary cap situation as any successful team realistically could be.

I think part of the problem is that people focus on Sherman's mistakes, and don't notice his successes. A good draft is one that yields 3 starters - including rookie free agents, Sherman's 3 drafts yielded 10 projected starters, and 11 more spot starters, important roll players, backups, and special teamers. Sherman made undeniable mistakes in Free Agency, but he also did a great job resigning his own players, and bringing in Grady Jackson, and few other guys that really helped out.

Given all of his hard work and loyalty, we need to be fair in considering Sherman's legacy; perhaps, you could give us your spot opinion of him as GM, and maybe even consider doing a researched analysis some day.

MIKE VANDERMAUSE: I thought Sherman was a good coach. You don't win 3 straight divison titles, and go 44-20 over a four-year span, without some coaching chops. But as a general manager, he was in over his head. He traded up far too often for mediocre players, which meant he wasted not one, but two draft picks on those players. And he did this repeatedly, which hurt the team immensely. Let's look at his drafts:

2002: Javon Walker and Aaron Kampmann were keepers; Marques Anderson, Najeh Davenport, Craig Nall and Mike Houghton were not. 2 out of 6 is a .333 percentage, which isn't bad by Ron Wolf's standards. But, he also traded a second-rounder to move up to get Walker, a fourth-rounder for Terry Glenn, and a seventh-rounder for Rod Walker.

2003: He hit on Nick Barnett, and essentially missed on everyone else, including Kenny Peterson, James Lee, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Brennan Curtin, Chris Johnson, DeAndrew Rubin, Carl Ford and Steve Josue. This was a disastrous draft. He hit on 1 of 9, and traded away extra picks for Peterson, Lee and Hillenmeyer. To compound this train wreck, he cut Hillenmeyer, who went on to start for the Bears.

2004: He hit on Scott Wells, and to a certain extent, Corey Williams. He missed on Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington, and B.J. Sander. To make matters worse, he traded extra picks away to get Washington and Sander, a pair of utter flops.

Sherman did indeed leave Ted Thompson's hands tied in terms of the salary cap. As for keeping your own players, that's not a good thing when one of those players is Cletidus Hunt.

Any way you slice it, Sherman was below average as a GM. After Ron Wolf retired, Bob Harlan should have allowed Sherman to concentrate on what he does best -- coach -- and put someone else in charge of personnel decisions. It was unfair to Sherman. It was simply too much for one man to bear.

:beat:

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
More.

Hi Mike,
I see that Meachem is out 4-6 weeks after showing up overweight & having his knee cleaned out, now that this draft is more than a month old can we start to move on and accept the players we drafted that want to play for the Packers? Guys like BJackson studying the playbook instead of partying in LA.
Packers have a lot of strong competition at WR (11), LB(10), RB/FB (10), DL(15), DB (16) which will make an interesting training camp, for example if Rory Johnson can land a spot. But what about the WR. It seems to me KR is not coming back he's likely to get an additional 4 game susp. from the league similar to Chris Henry plus we have many young talented WR already. I know it's early, but there has to be some surprise cuts of some names we're used to seeing in those positions that won't make this years roster. From what you've seen so far any vets that should be looking for a new home? Besides Ferguson and KR.

MIKE VANDERMAUSE: Tight end Bubba Franks could be looking for a new team, based on his lack of work with the No. 1 unit during the OTAs. Marquand Manuel might be out of work if he doesn't improve over last year. Dave Rayner might be kicking somewhere else, based on some stiff rookie competition. As for the receivers, Ferguson is as good as gone, in my opinion. Driver, Jennings and Jones will make up the top 3, and Holiday, Bodiford and Ruvell Martin will make strong bids for the 4 and 5 spots.

Brandon494
06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Don't give me this crap, Sherman was a horrible GM.

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2007, 09:53 PM
From what I have been reading it seems like the most improved players in the offseason have been Patrick Dendy, Will Blackmon, Tony Moll, Jarrett Bush, Frank Walker, Mo and Caryle Holiday. Who has look the most improved to you and why?

MIKE VANDERMAUSE: Let's be honest. Minicamps and OTAs are just dress rehearsals. There is no tackling, no blocking, no live drills. It is pure speculation to attempt to name a most improved player at this point. Having said that, and based on what I have seen of the players practicing in shorts and helmets...I liked the way Blackmon looked until he failed to practice at last week's open OTA session. Could his injury problems be coming back? Frank Walker also looks like he can play, and could be a legitimate nickel back. I have also been impressed by Holiday. He seems to catch everything -- at least when I happen to be looking. I think he's a keeper.

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I am a huge Tony Moll fan! I love his attitude and toughness. Last year he was a rookie, two years removed from playing TE, he started two positions on the Oline and played fairly well. I say fairly well because he was much better than Will Whittacker. I am expecting big things from Moll in the future and I would like to see him starting as soon as next season. I heard he even threw KGB to the ground in practice, you can not teach that aggression. Bottom line Moll has the speed, athleticism and toughness to be a force in this scheme. I was thinking last year if we could just get an offseason with this guy to turn that fat (from beefing up his senior year of college to play oline) into muscle he could be an excellent player. I saw he was inserted in the lineup when Tauscher missed practice. Last year there was something wrong with Tauscher. Maybe it was playing next to a rookie or maybe it was that his body type and athleticism is not right for T in this scheme. What is your feel for Moll and do you think he has a shot at unseating Tauscher? If so could we move Tauscher into G? Also, any idea if the coaching staff feels the same way as I do about Tony Maul?

MIKE VANDERMAUSE: I predict Moll will be a regular NFL starter. I'm just not willing to say it will be this year. I don't think he will unseat Tauscher this season. But somehow, some way the Packers will eventually find a place for him, whether at guard or tackle. He's tenacious and as you say, a real mauler. It's hard to keep a guy like that out of the lineup.

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2007, 09:55 PM
BTW, I don't know why, but I'm parsing out what I feel the interesting questions are.
:D

The ones that would be good topics for discussion. Plus, I'm padding my post count.

Do you see WR Clowney getting a chance to start over WR Jones that was taken in the 2nd round?

MIKE VANDERMAUSE: No. Clowney looks too small. Jones looks the part.

Also - I see Marco Rivera was cut by Dallas after only two seasons. Many ripped TT for letting Rivera get away(and Wahle). Any word on whether Rivera will simply retire? If so, any word whether GB would sign him to a symbolic contract to let him retire a Packer?

MIKE VANDERMAUSE: That's a nice thought on Rivera retiring as a Packer. I haven't heard any plans for the team to do that. I think Rivera is finished as a player. Age and the injury bug have caught up with him. I never faulted Thompson for letting Rivera walk. I think Dallas overpaid him. He was already past his prime.

Brandon494
06-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Do you see WR Clowney getting a chance to start over WR Jones that was taken in the 2nd round?

MIKE VANDERMAUSE: No. Clowney looks too small. Jones looks the part.

Umm Jones was taken in the 2nd round? Anyway Clowney might not play over Jones this season but I think he has a lot more potenial and should def. make the team. He could be solid KR for us. Remember this guy went to VT which coaches excellent ST play. Also even though he lacks size this guy is tough.

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm predicting Jones does better--but only because the "experts" thought the Jones pick was a reach, and the Clowney pick was a steal. In 2005, they thought Collins was a reach. In 2006, they thought Jennings was a reach and Hodge was a steal.

Joemailman
06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Jones appears to have the body to play in the NFL now, Clowney does not. Clowney's speed may come in to play this year in isolated cases, but he probably needs an off-season workout program to get stronger before he can be a productive player. I think Holiday has a great chance to be the #3 guy, at least at the start of the season.

Brandon494
06-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Jones appears to have the body to play in the NFL now, Clowney does not. Clowney's speed may come in to play this year in isolated cases, but he probably needs an off-season workout program to get stronger before he can be a productive player. I think Holiday has a great chance to be the #3 guy, at least at the start of the season.

Clowney is the same size as Driver and Holt. Not saying he is as good but just using them as examples for people who think he doesnt have enough size. He is prob. the fasted guy on our team and his hands are better than what people think. You also have to figure this guy never had a QB in college so we really don't know how good he is.

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
On Yahoo, Clowney is listed at 175 lbs--while Driver and Holt are listed at 190 lbs. Clowney is much slighter than those two. Just watching his highlight video you can see that he's pretty slight. Like Joe said, he needs time in the weight room. He's a bit of a project. I wouldn't expect too much production in year 1.

wist43
06-13-2007, 07:16 AM
As I said after I saw the first mini-camp, I'm shocked at how small Clowney is - he really is a midget. It'll be tough for him to ever be a part of the regular rotation.

Jones has the size, and should be an ok possession guy... will never scare anyone.

The Leaper
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
As I said after I saw the first mini-camp, I'm shocked at how small Clowney is - he really is a midget. It'll be tough for him to ever be a part of the regular rotation.

Jones has the size, and should be an ok possession guy... will never scare anyone.

I agree. I don't see any way that Clowney makes this team in 2007...he's destined for the practice squad IMO.

Jones is a project as well. The guy has not faced top shelf competition. He might look the part, but it will take him a couple years to play the part IMO...similar to Javon.

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
I agree. I don't see any way that Clowney makes this team in 2007...he's destined for the practice squad IMO.

If he shows anything, they won't be able to hide him on the practice squad.

Jones is a project as well. The guy has not faced top shelf competition. He might look the part, but it will take him a couple years to play the part IMO...similar to Javon.

He may or may not, but he's played against some bigger schools. Washington twice, Stanford twice, Florida, and Illinois were some of the non-conference games they played while he was there. #5 Boise State and #24 Hawaii are in his conference. He did have one of his best games last year vs. Washington (9 catches-130 yards-3 TDs). Not great competition, but there are guys who have played worst schedules who have contributed right away (Marques Colston, Nick Collins, Rashean Mathis, etc.).

Fritz
06-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Health is an important issue for all teams, and I'm a bit concerned that Blackmon missed an OTA. If the guy can't stay on the field, that's one less talented player the Packers have. We don't know if he's a good pro player, but he is described as athletic. I hope he can get and stay on the field.

Bretsky
06-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Health is an important issue for all teams, and I'm a bit concerned that Blackmon missed an OTA. If the guy can't stay on the field, that's one less talented player the Packers have. We don't know if he's a good pro player, but he is described as athletic. I hope he can get and stay on the field.

When I read great athletes that have a hard time staying on the field I think if Michael Hawkins and Chris Johnson

Carolina_Packer
06-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I just heard something interesting on ESPN radio the other day. They said as a manager in MLB, you can be a great regular season manager and not so great in the post season, but still be highly regarded (see Bobby Cox). In the NFL, you can be a great regular season coach with a lot of wins, but if you suck in the postseason, you're not well regarded (Marty Shottenheimer, and our former HC Mike Sherman).

Those draft lists from Sherman's years and the analysis following are all you really need to read to know how well he kept providing himself with talent to coach. I've maintained all along that he really fired himself as HC because he missed so much as GM and eventually lost that job. I couldn't agree more that it would have been terrific if Harlan had kept the jobs separated when Wolf was retiring. Who knows? Sherman might still be coaching, and may have been able to get to the Super Bowl.