PDA

View Full Version : Did Jones pull the plug on the Moss deal?

Jerry Tagge
06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
I was listening to Milwaukee radio (OK, it was Mark Belling, or the Little Pisshead as my uncle called him) who reported a rumor that John Jones was the one who didn't want to trade for Moss. Apparently, TT was going to make the deal but Jones didn't want to front end Moss' contract.

This does make some sense. Favre was all PO'ed about not getting Moss and wanted to be traded. McCarthy calmed him down and he did a 180 degree turnaround. He even came to mini-camp when he said he wasn't going to show because of his daughter's HS graduation which was the next week. Jones was then removed one week after mini-camp.

Maybe it was Favre that got rid of Jones. Maybe TT wanted Moss after all.

I realize this is only a rumor, but it would explain why TT gave big money to Charles Woodson last year but didn't do anything in FA this year. According to Belling, Jones has been making the financial decisions for quite some time.

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't believe it at all. His position wouldn't make the final decisions on players, IMHO. Plus, Harlan still was the top dog. Why would Jones be allowed to trump him. If he didn't want him and had final say, why would he let Thompson try to work on a deal for months--only to nix it when it was about to happen?

Joemailman
06-13-2007, 06:28 AM
It's only a rumor, but it's not completely implausible. Maybe the "management issues" that concerned Harlan included a tendency by Jones to interfere with the GM. Harlan always believed that it was the job of the CEO to run the business, and the job of the GM to run the football team.

KYPack
06-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Don't know about this one, Jer.

Jones seems to have been a rude crude dude to deal with. The words "asshole" have floated out of the big office regarding Jones and his whole act.

The contrast btw Jones manner and Bob Harlan's "Dutch Uncle" way of doing things seems to have been pretty great. When it got close, Harlan made the move. Sounds like he had to.

If Jones did interfere at this level of activity, he would have to go.

packinpatland
06-13-2007, 07:23 AM

Jones seems to have been a rude crude dude to deal with. The words "asshole" have floated out of the big office regarding Jones and his whole act.

The contrast btw Jones manner and Bob Harlan's "Dutch Uncle" way of doing things seems to have been pretty great. When it got close, Harlan made the move. Sounds like he had to.

I agree here, not likely to fly under the radar.

The Leaper
06-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Belling is a blowhard who is trying awful hard to make a story where one does not exist. There is no way that Thompson would allow Jones to tell him what to do regarding the management of the player roster...especially when Jones wasn't even in a position of true authority over Thompson yet.

The sacking of Jones has NOTHING to do with the Moss deal. That one is entirely on Thompson...and if the offense continues to struggle in the red zone, Thompson has no one other than himself to blame. He refused to go out and seriously pursue a free agent or draft a rookie WR/TE with the size/talent to make an impact as a sizeable target in the end zone.

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Ruvell Martin has size. Doesn't mean he's a good redzone target. Just because James Jones is 6'0" doesn't mean he can't get it done in the redzone. Actually, from what I hear, he's strong and good in traffic.

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2007, 09:00 AM
The contrast btw Jones manner and Bob Harlan's "Dutch Uncle" way of doing things seems to have been pretty great.

I have a "Dutch Oven" approach.
:D

Scott Campbell
06-13-2007, 09:02 AM
The sacking of Jones has NOTHING to do with the Moss deal. That one is entirely on Thompson.

Agreed - it's all on Ted. And he'll get the blame if Moss turns out to be a stud in NE. Or he'll get the credit if Moss continues to play like the early reports.

Fritz
06-13-2007, 09:03 AM

This is the kind of inside stuff I can't get in Detroit. Thanks, KYPack.

The Leaper
06-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Actually, from what I hear, he's strong and good in traffic.

Great...and exactly what kind of traffic has he proved this against? The SEC? The Big 10? The Big 12?

I don't give a crap how much we hear about how "good" he is doing this or that. The bottom line is that the kid has had only one productive year to show us...and it was against some of the weakest pass defenses in college football. Meanwhile, we passed over trying to get a kid like Jarrett who has tremendous size AND has proven himself long term against the top talent in the NCAA.

Jones is a project. You'll see it for yourself when real bullets start flying...and our red zone efficiency once again is near the bottom of the league.

MadtownPacker
06-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Great...and exactly what kind of traffic has he proved this against? The SEC? The Big 10? The Big 12?

I don't give a crap how much we hear about how "good" he is doing this or that. The bottom line is that the kid has had only one productive year to show us...and it was against some of the weakest pass defenses in college football. Meanwhile, we passed over trying to get a kid like Jarrett who has tremendous size AND has proven himself long term against the top talent in the NCAA.Well didn't the current #1 (DD) and #2 (Jennings) come from small schools? Sure doesn't seem to affect them.

The Leaper
06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Well didn't the current #1 (DD) and #2 (Jennings) come from small schools? Sure doesn't seem to affect them.

A) I'm not talking about long term...I do think Jones has the potential to be a very solid receiver down the road. I just don't think it is smart to count on him being too productive in the short term based on his level of experience at college.

B) Jennings and Driver were both guys who played numerous seasons of high level football in college. Sure, they were also small school guys...but they didn't just have one big year to fall back on. Jennings was a starter for THREE YEARS at WMU...and put up THREE 1000 yard seasons, which only a handful of WRs have done in Div I at any school. Driver started for TWO YEARS at ASU and was also a decorated track athlete.

I'm sorry...but Jones is NOT ready to step in from day one and contribute like Jennings did last year. He is a project who likely will take at least 2 full years to become a reliable starting caliber receiver in the NFL. He did basically nothing in his college career until this past season. Granted, he had a very good season in 2006...I'm not taking that away from him. However, the track record on guys with "one great year" isn't sterling...and even when they do pan out, they tend to take longer to adjust to the next level than guys who contributed for longer periods of time in college.

I like him going forward...he just does not address the need this team has for size and presence in the red zone. He can be as strong as an ox...his limited experience means he is going to have to LEARN how to use that strength to get open at the next level. He's more of a replacement for Driver 2-3 years down the line IMO.

LL2
06-13-2007, 01:04 PM
There could be some truth to this but we will never know, as secretive the organization is now. There has to be more to the fact that Jones was an asshole to work for. A lot of people have jerks for bosses and they don't get fired after a short stint. One thing is for sure and that is if TT and Jones didn't see eye to eye and had disagreements TT came out on top, while Jones was shown the door. Which means TT has more leverage in the Packers front office.

KYPack
06-13-2007, 03:30 PM
There could be some truth to this but we will never know, as secretive the organization is now. There has to be more to the fact that Jones was an asshole to work for. A lot of people have jerks for bosses and they don't get fired after a short stint. One thing is for sure and that is if TT and Jones didn't see eye to eye and had disagreements TT came out on top, while Jones was shown the door. Which means TT has more leverage in the Packers front office.

I dunno, LL. I do think Jones ( the front ofc guy, not the rookie WR) was a butthead and had flat-out ruffled too many feathers to stick in such a high position. There is a huge "political" piece to do that gig, & Jonesy didn't have it.

The whole Packer organization is paranoid about getting an ass like Judge Parins in there and having him ruin the franchise with his crap.

I've heard a couple other "words" used in conjunction with Jones:

"Brusque"
&
"Prick"

There were internet rumors that there might be the old sexual harrasment stuff going on, but I think most of that proved unfounded.

I don't think he messed with the Moss deal, I think he just plain fucked up & got booted by Harlan to cut the teams losses.

Jerry Tagge
06-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes, Belling is a blowhard. That's why my uncle called him the Little Pisshead. Belling also reports on rumors just to have something to talk about.

However, it would explain why TT opened up the checkbook and signed an aging Woodson and did nothing in FA this year. It would also explain why TT didn't trade the #16 pick to Cleveland for their 2nd round pick in which they still could have got Harrell. Maybe TT thought Jones would never go for a top 10 pick signing bonus and would have to trade down anyway.

Remember, the Packers President and Board have a history of meddling in the football operations. Bob Harlan was the first person since Vince Lombardi to tell the board to keep its collective nose out of the football operations. Harlan hired Wolf and let Wolf do what he wants. This resulted in the first championship in Green Bay since, well, Lombardi.

This rumor could be all BS. It could also be true and would explain lots of things that have been going on the past year.

KYPack
06-13-2007, 09:12 PM
This isn't anything earth shattering, but Vandermause had this in the PG today:

Quote on

Q I believe someone in Green Bay knows the real reason for John Jones' departure. What ever happened to investigative reporting?

A The real reason already has been revealed. Packers chairman Bob Harlan didn't think Jones was good enough for the job. How many different ways can this be stated? Harlan came to the conclusion that Jones didn't have the skills necessary to run the Packers organization. Are you still waiting for details on why Mike Sherman got fired as head coach? Ted Thompson to this day has not given a specific reason. The fact is, Sherman's boss wanted to go in another direction. It's the same story with Jones.

Q Let me see if I can understand this. The Packers' management is not in turmoil and everything is coming up roses. First, Sherman gets a nice fat contract extension and is fired. Second, Jones is promoted and presumably got a nice raise. Now, he is being fired and will receive a substantial buyout. This sounds to me like problems do exist but I guess that is OK. They will just raise the price of tickets to cover stupidity.

A I wouldn't describe the Packers' situation as a flower garden, but it's far from a disaster. Bob Harlan is in control of the organization, and that means the Packers are still in good hands. Have you forgotten the Packers, under Harlan, have had only one losing season in the last 15 years? That's an impressive track record. Coaches and team executives come and go, and yes, part of doing business in the world of pro sports is buying out contracts. Would you prefer to keep someone who wasn't up to the job, just to save a few bucks? I didn't think so. If raising the price of tickets means more success on the field, I'm certain most fans would pay up.

Q I think Harlan needs to take more responsibility for the Jones situation. If anything it's a poor reflection on Harlan. How can he possibly go eight years with someone and not know if they are right for the job? Harlan should be feeling major heat. Instead, he's been applauded for taking this last-minute action. This whole thing really makes me question Harlan's judgment and capabilities.

A Harlan isn't perfect. He swung and missed when he named Sherman general manager, and he whiffed again on Jones. But you have to look at the big picture and consider the team's overwhelming success during his tenure. The mark of a good leader is someone who deals with his mistakes head-on and doesn't run from them. Harlan realized he made an error with Sherman and dealt with it. And instead of strolling into retirement, he took responsibility for the Jones situation and has displayed a willingness to make it right. It's hard to find fault with that.

Quote off

Jones must've pulled a few real lu-lu's to get his ass canned that close to getting the job. I'd like to know what they were. I don't even Jones would've been lame enuff to fool with the Moss deal, but ya never know.