PDA

View Full Version : Hawk will wear #50

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Packer Pro Shop has home Jersey for sale on their website. Wonder when they're gonna reduce the price on those Walker jerseys. :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Change the pic at the top.
:D

VegasPackFan
04-30-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm surprised by this. He made #47 famous in Columbus.

Does anyone know why he changed his number to 50?

MadtownPacker
04-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Wonder when they're gonna reduce the price on those Walker jerseys. :mrgreen:

They can just change the name to "Jennings".

#50 just means the Hawk will do things bigger and better!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
LBs can't wear numbers in the 40s in the NFL--unless they get special permission.

VegasPackFan
04-30-2006, 02:58 PM
AHA! - That makes sense.

I am back amongst the living today after partying it up WAYY too much at the local Packers/Wisconsin sports bar and restaurant yesterday.

Couldnt be happier with the AJ pick.

SkinBasket
04-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Change the pic at the top.
:D

Hey give a guy some time you big boner.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Well Setterstrom is gone.

pacfan
04-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Looks like Iggy Martin wore 15 at Furman.

I'm guessing that he'll have to change his number here. Just guessing..... :wink:

b bulldog
04-30-2006, 09:25 PM
I guess I'll need to get me a Hawk jersey! 47 would have been cool.

Murphy37
04-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Hell he can wear double zero for all I care, as long as he puts Rex Grossman and Brad Johnson on the IR. I'm sick of looking at all of those picks of Urlacher crushing Favre. It's pay back time.

GoPackGo
04-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Hell he can wear double zero for all I care,It's pay back time.
Damn right . I can't wait to see Ben Taylor, Abdul Hodge, AJ Hawk, Roy Manning, Poppinga, and Nick Barnett gel together this year

Guiness
04-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Looks like Iggy Martin wore 15 at Furman.

I'm guessing that he'll have to change his number here. Just guessing..... :wink:

Took me a second to figure that one out - Bart Starr's number, of course!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Packers.com have him with #7.

OS PA
05-01-2006, 12:21 AM
How long do you think it'll take the pack to sign Hawk? I think he'll be one of the first to sign due to his demeanor. How much should he make?

Tarlam!
05-01-2006, 06:55 AM
QB Ingle Martin — No. 7

• CB Will Blackmon — No. 27

• S Tyrone Culver — No. 29

• LB Abdul Hodge — No. 53

• T/G Tony Moll — No. 64

• G/C Jason Spitz — No. 72

• T/G Daryn Colledge — No. 73

• WR/KR Cory Rodgers — No. 81

• WR Greg Jennings — No. 85

• DE Dave Tollefson — No. 91

• DT Johnny Jolly — No. 93

Tarlam!
05-01-2006, 06:58 AM
How long do you think it'll take the pack to sing Hawk? I think he'll be one of the first to sign due to his demeanor. How much should he make?

Hawk’s early selection means big-money contract

By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

The Green Bay Packers likely will give first-round draft pick A.J. Hawk the largest contract they ever have handed a rookie in large part because they haven’t selected as high as No. 5 since 1992.

Hawk’s contract will come close to or perhaps surpass the deal signed by last year’s fifth overall pick, running back Carnell “Cadillacà€ Williams of Tampa Bay. Williams signed what was essentially a five-year, $19.1 million contract that included a $2.9 million signing bonus, a $1.517 million roster bonus and a $5 million option bonus all paid within the first year.

Even though he might not receive the largest rookie signing bonus in Packers history — Bubba Franks received a $4.67 million signing bonus as part of a five-year, $6.45 million contract after being selected 14th overall in the 2000 NFL draft — Hawk will arrive in Green Bay saddled with the highest expectations of any Packers’ rookie since perhaps Terrell Buckley, also the No. 5 overall pick, in 1992.

Second-year General Manager Ted Thompson never has negotiated a contract with a pick this high, even when he was vice president of football operations for the Seattle Seahawks from 2000 to 2004.

“The highest we picked in Seattle was No. 9 (receiver Koren Robinson in 2001), and that worked out OK,” Thompson said. “My only other history with being this high was in ’92 (with the Packers), and I didn’t know enough to walk through a door.”

In 1992, Buckley held out because of a contract dispute and missed all of training camp plus the first two regular-season games. Thompson and first-year coach Mike McCarthy expect Hawk to become an immediate starter at weak-side linebacker and part of facilitating that will be getting his contract done in time for training camp. Hawk already could be slightly behind, because he will miss the second of two May minicamps (May 19 to 21) and perhaps part of the voluntary June workouts, because he still will be in school at Ohio State.

“I will say this, normally the closer to the No. 1 spot you are, it seems like the more delay (in the contract), because there’s a hesitancy on the part of the team and agents and their clients to be the first ones to dive off into the deep water,” Thompson said. “But I wouldn’t anticipate a problem.”

Though Hawk is just one piece of a defense overhauled by Thompson this offseason, he and perhaps free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson likely will be the most scrutinized among the new players. Hawk became the first linebacker drafted in the top 10 since 2000, when LaVar Arrington went second overall to Washington and Brian Urlacher was the ninth pick by Chicago. From 1995 to 2005, only five linebackers were drafted in the top 10 (only two of those were top-5 selections).

“It is a big chance, I think, taking a linebacker even in the top 10,” Hawk said. “I know a lot of times that doesn’t happen. I think I’m going to be a guy that’s going to come in and work hard from Day 1, do whatever they want — special teams, linebacker, whatever they need.”

If Hawk turns out to be the playmaking stud Thompson evaluated him to be, then it significantly could alter the way defensive coordinator Bob Sanders uses his personnel groupings. Along with starting middle linebacker Nick Barnett, who has led the team in tackles in each of his three NFL seasons, Hawk gives the Packers a pair of linebackers who can run from sideline to sideline and play pass coverage.

Because both Barnett and Hawk possess speed and ability to make plays in the passing game, Sanders might be hesitant to take either one off the field even when teams are in obvious passing situations. It might force the first-year defensive coordinator to consider using his nickel package (two linebackers and five defensive backs) instead of the dime package (one linebacker and six defensive backs) more than Jim Bates did last year. Bates almost always left Barnett on the field as the lone linebacker in obvious passing situations. But if Hawk or Barnett is better than the sixth defensive back, the nickel defense could be the way to go.

“If you get enough good athletes at linebacker, you can play your base defense like Tampa does even in what would normally be nickel and dime situations,” Thompson said. “These guys can run and play. Nick is a good player against the pass, and I would think both of those guys would be on the field a lot.”

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 07:55 AM
There might be a delay problem as the contract will have to be reprinted numerous times as TT can't seem to keep from drooling on it.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Hawk’s early selection means big-money contract

By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Hawk possess speed and ability to make plays in the passing game,

Yeah, right. Keep Barnett on the field. Take Hawk out on 3rd down. Every highlight clip i watched of Hawk fails to show him excelling in pass coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 10:00 AM
The nice thing about Hawk, IMHO, is that I have no problem with giving him a $4M/year contract as a rookie. He's a very safe bet to earn that money.

"The Green Bay Packers likely will give first-round draft pick A.J. Hawk the largest contract they ever have handed a rookie in large part because they haven’t selected as high as No. 5 since 1992.

Hawk’s contract will come close to or perhaps surpass the deal signed by last year’s fifth overall pick, running back Carnell “Cadillacà€ Williams of Tampa Bay. Williams signed what was essentially a five-year, $19.1 million contract that included a $2.9 million signing bonus, a $1.517 million roster bonus and a $5 million option bonus all paid within the first year."

swede
05-01-2006, 11:32 AM
There might be a delay problem as the contract will have to be reprinted numerous times as TT can't seem to keep from drooling on it.

Hee Hee

Little Whiskey
05-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I've heard that Reggie Bush is going to petition the NFL to allow him to wear #5. Why doesn't Hawk do the same?? maybe he dosen't care

billy_oliver880
05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
I've heard that Reggie Bush is going to petition the NFL to allow him to wear #5. Why doesn't Hawk do the same?? maybe he dosen't care

Hawk seems the type to only care about ripping guys heads off. Where as Bush seems to be more materialistic.

BlueBrewer
05-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised by this. He made #47 famous in Columbus.

Does anyone know why he changed his number to 50?
Because that was my number as a linebacker in the Wisconsin State Highschool Football Championship in 1996

VegasPackFan
05-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Hawk is just a no nonsense guy. He doesnt play football for the glamor of it. He just loves the game and has an inner drive to be the best at what he does.

I am a huge Buckeyes fan and watched AJ for a few years now. He is not only a great player but a quality guy. Just the type of player I like seeing play for the Packers.

He will probably sign pretty quick. He will want to get going asap.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Reserve Your AJ Hawk Authentic Jersey At The Packers Pro Shop Now!
It's All About DEFENSE!

#50 Authentic AJ Hawk Jersey (Home)

Product ID 2101-005-017

New!
$179.95
On Backorder

Available Color: Green

Product Description: Join the excitement with your Authentic A.J. Hawk Jersey! The #5 Pick overall in the 2006 NFL Draft! This authentic NFL Jersey comes with the same features as those worn by the Players. Jerseys are 100% Pro-Brite heavy-weight nylon mesh body with luster nylon yoke & sleeves. Double thickness yoke & mitered rib knit v-neck. NFL Shield patch is sewn on front of the v-neck. Jersey numbers and letters are tackle twill . The Reebok logo is embroidered on both the upper sleeves and woven locker tag with size on lower left front. Jerseys will be available May 4th!

Shop Now!

GoPackGo
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
i'm getting one for my birthday this year

GrnBay007
05-02-2006, 10:58 AM

Nice! I won't be getting an authentic, I'll settle for the non authentic lol ........besides, I don't have birthdays anymore!! :razz:

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 11:10 AM

Nice! I won't be getting an authentic, I'll settle for the non authentic lol ........besides, I don't have birthdays anymore!! :razz:

What a spectacular idea!! Can I pretend I stopped having them 10 years ago?

GrnBay007
05-02-2006, 11:13 AM
What a spectacular idea!! Can I pretend I stopped having them 10 years ago?

Sure!! I stopped 5 yrs. ago. Just have to figure out what to do with that damn Hallmark-lovin secretary at work that won't let it die!! :D

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 11:15 AM
ROTFL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Little Whiskey
05-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Sure!! I stopped 5 yrs. ago. Just have to figure out what to do with that damn Hallmark-lovin secretary at work that won't let it die!! :D

http://www.freakingnews.com/entries/2500/2837YEGD_w.jpg

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 03:09 PM
We're on a Richard Simmons kick this week.

Deputy Nutz
05-02-2006, 03:12 PM

007 celebrating her last birthday. Can you believe she is only 30 years old!!!

http://www.pocketfactory.com/images/stories/old-bday_lady.jpg

Deputy Nutz
05-02-2006, 03:18 PM
I thought Hawk should have worn #55.

GrnBay007
05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Very funny Nut-Job!!!

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2006, 03:32 PM
I wanted #54 for Hawk.

Guiness
05-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Didn't Brian Bosworth petition to be able to wear #44, because he had that Double Blue clothing line?

Didn't exactly work out for him, eh? Bush should take #34 and keep his damn mouth shut. Like he needs to attract any more attention.