PDA

View Full Version : Poppinga

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Poppinga ready to dominate
By RICHARD PUFALL

Green Bay - Look up the word "intense," and you're likely to find a picture of Brady Poppinga slammed up against it. You see, as a linebacker, slamming into things is what Poppinga does for a living with the Green Bay Packers.

Poppinga brings an intensity to his game that shows up in the way he expresses himself. When he talks about his craft and his role in the Green Bay defense, his eyes light up, and there is a controlled, but clearly evident, excitement in his voice.

That excitement is now laced with confidence because Poppinga and Green Bay's entire defense had a strong finish after a weak start to last season.

Poppinga's start to 2006 was slowed by an injury he suffered in 2005; he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on Dec. 11 against Detroit, ending his season three games early and casting a cloud over his future.

But Poppinga rallied with an unusually quick recovery and rehabilitation that allowed him to return to practice on a limited basis on Aug. 8, 2006. Then he did what seemed physically impossible: jumping from hobbled practice spectator to National Football League starter in just four weeks. There he was, starting at strong-side linebacker against the Chicago Bears on Sept. 10 at Lambeau Field. Poppinga led the Packers vs. Chicago with a career-high 11 tackles, including nine solos.

But the early reviews were not good for Poppinga and his defensive teammates. They struggled through the first part of the season, particularly against the pass.

After six games in 2006, the Green Bay defense under first-year coordinator Bob Sanders was ranked 32nd and last in the NFL. Over the last 10 games, however, the Packers improved to 17th in pass defense, finished 13th against the run and ended the season ranked 12th overall in the league.

Poppinga offered an explanation for his improved play and the late defensive run that allowed the Packers to finish the season on a four-game winning streak and with a respectable 8-8 record.

"Well, I feel like I know the defense very well," Poppinga said after a recent off-season practice session. "I feel like I'm very familiar. I'd hate to speak for everybody else, but I would assume everybody else feels the same. So there's a comfort level, and with that comfort level, you tend to think less. And you tend to just allow your natural abilities to take hold and you play without hesitation.

"So you feel like you play a lot better, be more productive. You're just more effective. So that comfort level I think is going to add to the effectiveness of how I play and how we play as a defense."

Poppinga got a slow start coming out of college at Brigham Young, too. He was older than most rookies when the Packers drafted him in the fourth round in 2005. Poppinga, who turns 28 on Sept. 21, spent two years on a Mormon mission in Uruguay before starting school at BYU.

But Poppinga, entering his third season, is now up to speed with a Packers defense that he believes can be special.

"We're only limited by our own selves," Poppinga said. "So we'll see. There are no limits. . . . There's no end to how good we can be. So we're always striving to take that next step."

Poppinga played in each of Green Bay's 16 games in 2006 and started in 12; he missed four starts when the Packers opened games in their nickel package. He made 76 tackles (51 solo), had one sack, one interception, five passes defensed and forced two fumbles. Most consider him to be Green Bay's No. 3 linebacker, but that's no insult because he's keeping some excellent company with Nick Barnett in the middle and A.J. Hawk on the weak side.

"I think we're like one," Poppinga said of the linebacking trio. "We feed off each other. Synergy. We help each other. We support each other. We try to be as one."

Right now, Poppinga is one linebacker who can't do what he enjoys most - hit. The Packers, of course, have been practicing without pads, so hitting is taboo.

"You know what, man, when you don't put those pads on, it's a little different," Poppinga said. "It's just like a glorified training session. But you try to make the most of it. The real fun of football is the physicality. So when you take that away, it's not as fun as it could be. But for the time of year it is, it's good enough. It's nice to be out there."

Green Bay's fast finish in 2006 was underscored by victories over Detroit, Minnesota and Chicago in which the Packers allowed just 562 yards - 187.3 per game. Winston Moss, Green Bay's assistant head coach/linebackers, saw Poppinga's improvement as just one piece of a total product that got better.

"Everybody improved their game," Moss said of Poppinga's late-season upswing. "I mean from coaching to players, specifically Brady, all those guys that 'struggled' early on basically turned it around at the end of the year. They started producing. They got very consistent. And they were making plays."

Moss also sees a return to health and experience as key reason's for Poppinga's improvement.

"Repetition. Familiarity. Getting comfortable," Moss said of Poppinga. "And just seeing the same thing over and over again. That's all he needed. Remember, he missed the whole off-season. . . . Last year at this time, he really didn't get a chance . . . yes, he was in the classroom studying, but it's not what it is until you actually get into the box.

"He not only had that physical part to overcome, but he also had that game speed, game preparation and he had to do all that without that off-season."

Poppinga expects the Packers to win and make the playoffs in 2007. And he has one simple, albeit lofty, goal for himself:

"Dominate. I want to dominate."

Partial
06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Poppinga is a really intense dude. I've got to say that people like him that are so focused on succeeding normally are the type that do succeed. Luckily, this cat will have a running mate for years with AJ Hawk, an equally intense dude.

Bossman641
06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
This sentence brought back nothing but bad memories for me.

There he was, starting at strong-side linebacker against the Chicago Bears on Sept. 10 at Lambeau Field. Poppinga led the Packers vs. Chicago with a career-high 11 tackles, including nine solos.

Not hard to lead the team in tackles when play after play Desmond Clark is burning your ass. :bang:

Whatever, it's the offseason, even I'll give Poppinga the benefit of the doubt. Pass that Koolaid.

:alc:

Bretsky
06-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Nice Fluff Piece

Great guy great attitude. I like him, but I don't ever see him dominating.

In all honesty I'm disappointed he has no competition for the job...Tracy White...the undrafted rookies :roll:

Bossman641
06-13-2007, 11:17 PM
In all honesty I'm disappointed he has no competition for the job...Tracy White...the undrafted rookies

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm actually hopeful about some of the undrafted LB's, but not really for this year. Looks like it's basically Poppinga's job by default. As long as Poppinga can improve to at least average, we should have a very good LB corps and defense overall IMO.

Freak Out
06-13-2007, 11:49 PM
In all honesty I'm disappointed he has no competition for the job...Tracy White...the undrafted rookies

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm actually hopeful about some of the undrafted LB's, but not really for this year. Looks like it's basically Poppinga's job by default. As long as Poppinga can improve to at least average, we should have a very good LB corps and defense overall IMO.

We are screwed if he can't get it done. I was crossing my fingers that TT would bring someone in to compete......we'll see.

Bretsky
06-13-2007, 11:52 PM

We are screwed if he can't get it done. I was crossing my fingers that TT would bring someone in to compete......we'll see.

He can still bring in some free agent cheapsies if he leaves the film room in 07 :lol:

packers11
06-13-2007, 11:59 PM
where is Lavar Arrington??? He was doing good with the Giants before he blew out his knee...

Freak Out
06-14-2007, 12:13 AM
I thought for sure TT was going to take Timmons......then the damn steelers took him.

HarveyWallbangers
06-14-2007, 12:22 AM
No way the Packers were going to spend that much money on LBs. Considering your 3rd LB probably plays 50% of the snaps, and Hawk and Barnett are all down LBs. It's part of the reason Denver was willing to wait on Al Wilson. They want to get D.J. Williams on the field on all downs.

RashanGary
06-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Brady Poppinga is underrated. He's going to show up play a physical brand of football that people here aren't used to seeing. He was coming off a major injury. Watch, he's going to hurt people (my favorite quality in a defender btw)

KYPack
06-14-2007, 06:57 AM
where is Lavar Arrington??? He was doing good with the Giants before he blew out his knee...

He's done.

He wasn't worth the money he was asking for & the Giants got burned.

Better them than us.

wist43
06-14-2007, 08:17 AM
As some have pointed out, Poppinga is a base down LB, so he's going to play less than half the downs...

Poppinga is a good fit for what they ask their "SLB" to do, i.e. play physical at the point, string outside runs, and drop into zone coverage on play action.

Asking him to man up on the TE is asking a lot IMO, and they did less and less of that as the season wore on. He can get an effective jam and drop, but he's simply not going to be able to turn and run with the more athletic TE's.

Poppinga and Hawk were welcome additions in terms of their toughness and overall football mindset. I still consider the Packers to be a soft defense, but Hawk and Poppinga are tough players, and I like both of them.

Carolina_Packer
06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
We'll see if the "soft defense" hardens a little with the addition of Harrell, and the likely stepping up of Corey Williams to keep his reps. That's where I'd like to see some more domination; then our linebackers can do their job and on passing downs everyone behind the line wouldn't have to cover as long if the timing of those plays can be more disrupted. Here's to a healthy Harrell.

run pMc
06-14-2007, 08:51 AM

What about those two pot smoking rookie free agents, or Desmond Bishop? What about that Havner guy? Can't remember if any of them are playing the same spot, I'd think at least one of them is. I like Poppinga's motor, but I'm sure TT's brought somebody who is younger and more athletic to push him. I guess it depends on whether you consider that "competition".

Arrington is done. The Achilles injury + his penchant for freelancing = bad match for GB's D. And as someone else pointed out, he'd want more than TT would want to spend when you consider what Barnett and hawk are making.

RashanGary
06-14-2007, 01:42 PM
As some have pointed out, Poppinga is a base down LB, so he's going to play less than half the downs...

Poppinga is a good fit for what they ask their "SLB" to do, i.e. play physical at the point, string outside runs, and drop into zone coverage on play action.

Asking him to man up on the TE is asking a lot IMO, and they did less and less of that as the season wore on. He can get an effective jam and drop, but he's simply not going to be able to turn and run with the more athletic TE's.

Poppinga and Hawk were welcome additions in terms of their toughness and overall football mindset. I still consider the Packers to be a soft defense, but Hawk and Poppinga are tough players, and I like both of them.

Good observations Wist. I like Poppinga too. I think he's going to have an impact this year with his health back.

Brohm
06-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Popps and Havner will be our SLB's this year.

BobDobbs
06-15-2007, 01:42 AM
It seems that most of the LBs who were acquired were brought in to be special teamers. We needed the help, but I wonder who is actually going to play linebacker if we face injury.

Poppinga is to stiff in his hips to really be a strong coverage backer. But, as physical as he plays I wish that he would show more on the blitz. He just doesn't seem to get through.

Fritz
06-15-2007, 08:15 AM
"What about those two pot smoking rookie free agents"

I don't know why but this cracked me up. I am now firmly in the corner of those two "pot smoking rookie free agents." Yeah baby ! What are their names anyway? I forgot (maybe they did too!)

I'd love to see them both make the team. Then they'll try to mellow Poppinga out with a few hits from a big ol' blunt.

Speaking of Poppinga, if he's intense like it sounds all the time I bet he's a scary dude to try to, say, go fishing with.

MJZiggy
06-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Imagine having him show up at your door to try and convert you...

woodbuck27
06-15-2007, 03:47 PM

He can still bring in some free agent cheapsies if he leaves the film room in 07 :lol:

No no B.

TT's really got to get his bowels under control. :)

HarveyWallbangers
07-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Interesting tidbit on Poppinga from the Press Gazette. I sure hope Poppinga can become at least adequate at coverage--because I think he's solid on run defense and rushing the passer. It's a big if though.

Poppinga got a lot of negative fan reaction to his coverage problems in the beginning of the year, In his work this off season from what you may have saw does he look better, almost a full 2 years removed from ACL surgery and having had a full year playing SSLB?

TOM PELISSERO: Brady Poppinga's biggest issue a year ago was coverage, and from what I saw this offseason I think it'll be the case again. I'm not sure if it's an awareness thing or just a lack of short-range quickness and speed, but he simply doesn't look comfortable anytime he has to go into or come out of a backpedal. I don't think that has anything to do with his knee, though.

Deputy Nutz
07-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Poppinga will be alright. Wist hit it right on the head. Most strong side linebackers will not be able to run across the field in man coverage on a tight end. SLBs need to be physical at the point of attack and shift the flow back to the pursuing linebackers.

I honestly think that Pop did a decent job considering this was his first year starting and also coming back from a serious knee injury which usually takes a year to fully recover from.

HarveyWallbangers
07-10-2007, 11:16 PM
He was decent most of they year, but I'm not sure how much upside he has. I'd love to see him shine, but he's already like 27-years-old.

Bretsky
07-10-2007, 11:30 PM
He was decent most of they year, but I'm not sure how much upside he has. I'd love to see him shine, but he's already like 27-years-old.

If he can just work his way to being average in coverage I'd take that in a second. Teams will try to expose him on the pass.

KYPack
07-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Poppinga will be alright. Wist hit it right on the head. Most strong side linebackers will not be able to run across the field in man coverage on a tight end. SLBs need to be physical at the point of attack and shift the flow back to the pursuing linebackers.

I honestly think that Pop did a decent job considering this was his first year starting and also coming back from a serious knee injury which usually takes a year to fully recover from.

I hope so.

The extra year after knee surgery always helps like crazy.

Popp's just got a long way to go. He was a stand-up DE in college and just ain't comfortable or instinctive in cover. He's got great ability to hit and fill. If he can overcome his weaknesses, he'll be a tremendous plus for the D.

4and12to12and4
07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Wow, that's right, he's 27 years old. I think of him as a 23 year old rookie, because he's been injured so much. That's crazy. He is suppose to be in his prime right now, and he is finally just getting comfortable in the scheme.

You know, I am very optimistic about our defense this year, just because it is the first time guys don't have to relearn a completely new scheme. Even though Sanders employed a similar scheme, it still had many changes in its nuances, I'm sure. Actually, the same goes for the offense. We should be much improved, even with Favre, I mean, it had to be awkward for him most of last season relearning the names of every single play. This year, it should help him to know exactly where his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options are, and if we can actually have 3rd and 4th options for him, because the 2nd year o-lineman won't require tight ends, running backs, and fullbacks staying in to help block, our offense should be much improved, with many more weapons for Brett to throw to, with him knowing where they will be. Handing off the Kool-aid to the next poster now!! :wink: