PDA

View Full Version : Miree

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Fullback finds success on and off the field
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - Life after football is a terrifying proposition for several players across the NFL.

For many, there's been very little planning. Virtually no preparation. And when the end comes, players often feel completely lost.

Don't ever expect Brandon Miree to fall in those categories.

Miree, the odds-on favorite to win Green Bay's starting fullback job, is one of the more well-rounded and intelligent people inside the Packers' locker room. And when the end eventually does come for Miree, he figures to have unlimited options.

"Brandon is a really, really smart guy," Packers running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "He's one of the more versatile guys you'll find."

That's for sure.

Consider, Miree would often rather read Plato than his playbook. Miree, who loves politics, once drove deputy chief of staff Karl Rove around during a presidential motorcade in Pittsburgh.

But Miree, who went to graduate school at Pitt in public and international affairs, loves kids more than anything. And that's where his greatest passion lies.

Miree is currently a major player in what's called the Youth Empowerment Tour, which tries to bridge the gap between kids and adults with both sports and music. The program's eventual goal is to help many young people to make a difference in their communities.

"I love to help kids and I love to help them reach their goals and be the best they can be," said Miree, who also has interest in filmmaking. "I haven't seen anything like this program around anywhere else. You speak their language, basically.

"You also help them see outside their current situation. It's a beautiful thing."

Miree, who is helping fund the program, recently went to New York to host the tour's kickoff. From there, the project will travel across much of the East Coast and Miree will continue to play a large role.

For those who think the NFL is a league of all Pacman Jones's or Tank Johnson's, they might want to meet Miree.

"With all of the problems that you see professional athletes going through off of the field, we felt like it was imperative that we put a positive role model in front of the kids to see where their heads are at," said Randy Fisher, the executive director of the National Hip-Hop Summit Youth Council.

As diverse as Miree is, though, football remains his bread and butter. And he's eager to take advantage of the gaping hole presented following the off-season release of William Henderson.

Miree had supplanted Henderson and appeared well on his way to becoming Green Bay's fullback of the future last season before he was sidelined with a hyper-extended left elbow. Still, Miree showed plenty during the 10 games he was active to be the front-runner at the position heading to training camp.

"I think to answer your question, I'd say yes," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said when asked if Miree is the favorite to win the job. "Brandon's been here."

Miree, a tailback in college at Alabama and later Pitt, was taken by Denver in the seventh round of the 2004 draft. He spent a year on the Broncos' injured-reserve list and another on their practice squad before he was released last September.

The Packers claimed Miree two days later, stored him on their practice squad for three weeks, then threw him into the starting lineup in a Week 4 loss at Philadelphia.

Things began swimmingly for Miree, too, as he caught eight passes during his first four games - including four against Arizona. While the elbow injury slowed Miree over the second half of the season, he certainly left a positive impression when he was healthy.

"Brandon's athletic, he can read, react and adjust like a runner would," Bennett said. "And he's gotten stronger. He's a little bit bigger this year. He's stronger. I love how he's improving his pass protection. I'm excited to see him progress and keep getting better."

Although Miree (6-0, 245) lacks the bulk of most prototypical fullbacks, he's the type of player the Packers are looking for in their zone-blocking scheme. Miree has good hands, can handle an occasional carry and is assignment-sure.

"He's a good fit," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "He's a good athlete and he's a smart guy. He's obviously familiar with our system, to make the reads that we're looking for."

Miree will face plenty of competition, though. Sixth-round draft choice Korey Hall is being converted from linebacker to fullback. Rookie free agents Corey White and Ryan Powdrell will be in the mix, as well.

"Fullback is going to be extremely competitive during training camp," Bennett said. "It's going to be competitive, but also extremely exciting.

"At this point, we can't really say, 'That's the guy.' As far as the talent level that's here, I'm excited about it. We've got some kids who are capable of doing some great things."

Miree, of course, is one of them. And he appears capable of doing great things - both on and off the field.

"I'm coming in with confidence and with my head down and just working. Just trying to get better," Miree said. "Last year, I really felt good and felt like I was starting to jell with the offensive linemen and the offense in general when I got hurt.

"I think with the situation now, everyone's a year older, more mature, has worked together for a year. And I think this can be one of those situations if I continue to work, I'll be able to reap the benefits of being able to play."

Partial
06-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Whoops. Moving my response to the Pop thread.

BallHawk
06-13-2007, 11:36 PM
All I can say is, thank God the NFL has some players like this, even though they be few.

KYPack
06-14-2007, 06:53 AM
All that stuff is great, but I'd like to see the guy play his position with more consistency.

Maybe his mind is too clouded with all the shit he's got going on, eh?

packinpatland
06-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Sounds like a 'Rennisance' man.

wist43
06-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Can't believe he weighs 245 lbs... probably more like 230 lbs. Now Wells??? He's probably closer to 245 lbs.

The Packers offense... "Midgets are Us".

Carolina_Packer
06-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Well, I think you have to give the guy a chance. He has promise, but he's also very inexperienced (like many on our roster). If he can stick on the roster and win the FB job, the high character, off the field interests are a bonus for the team.

run pMc
06-14-2007, 09:00 AM
True. I think 10 games is a good start, but it's probably not enough to determine whether he's your long-term starter. With Henderson gone, he's the starter for now since he's the incumbent. Let's hope he can do some good things on the football field for us. Most FB's are free agents or late round picks, so one of the other guys could step up too. It's nice to hear he's a smart guy and good character guy.
Speaking of which, I'm waiting for another Chris Henry thread to start up any minute now...

LL2
06-14-2007, 09:31 AM
[b] Miree, who loves politics, once drove deputy chief of staff Karl Rove around during a presidential motorcade in Pittsburgh.

Looks like he a Republican.