packers11
06-14-2007, 11:34 AM
www.rotoworld.com
Jun. 14 - 12:32 pm et
Jaguars released safety Donovin Darius.

He might be better than what we have...

Freak Out
06-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Dang. Is he healthy? He and Fergy can reacquaint themselves.

packinpatland
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
They must have seen something they didn't like.

packers11
06-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Dang. Is he healthy? He and Fergy can reacquaint themselves.

I forgot about that... Maybe he can scare the fraud off... :lol:

MadtownPacker
06-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Dang. Is he healthy? He and Fergy can reacquaint themselves.How about this slap in the face:

Cut Fergy and give Darius his roster spot. :shock:

]{ilr]3
06-14-2007, 12:09 PM
He is a great agressive player, but I hate the bastard after that cheapshot he layed on Ferguson!

Maybe his salary was just to much to shell out this year given his age and injuries. Either that or he must be in some legal trouble.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-14-2007, 12:09 PM
12 games played in the last 2 years. Out fergusoning ferguson.

The Leaper
06-14-2007, 12:11 PM
12 games played in the last 2 years. Out fergusoning ferguson.

Now that is hilarious.

packinpatland
06-14-2007, 12:23 PM
"He is a great agressive player, but I hate the bastard after that cheapshot he layed on Ferguson! "

I totally blanked that out.

Off with his head!!!

wist43
06-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Pretty sure the Packer will have no interest...

I like him as a player... would love to have a big hitter at safety, but the Packers don't put a premium on physical DB's.

MadtownPacker
06-14-2007, 12:35 PM
{ilr]3]He is a great agressive player, but I hate the bastard after that cheapshot he layed on Ferguson!In hindsight we should all be pissed off he didn't just end Fergy's career and save us from wondering if this is gonna be "the year" for ole #89 (or whatever # he is wearing now) year after year.

HarveyWallbangers
06-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Figures Wist likes him because he is/was a big hitter.

At this point, he's mostly just a name. His production was way down last year. He averaged well below his average in tackles/game, had 0 interceptions, 0 sacks, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 forced fumbles, and just 3 pass deflections in 10 games. Not one turnover play. He's 32-years-old in August, and he missed 14 games the previous year.

You can have your big hitter. I'll look elsewhere. He could rebound, but it's more likely that his years of being a solid starter are over.

Carolina_Packer
06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Whose spot would he take if he were competing for a starter's job?

Would you rather give a give like Rouse or Bigby a shot?

OS PA
06-14-2007, 12:55 PM

I like him as a player... would love to have a big hitter at safety, but the Packers don't put a premium on physical DB's.

I agree that the Packers won't have any interest in Darius, but I don't agree with your "they don't like physical DB's" claim. Isn't it a necessity in this scheme for our starting CB's to be physical at the line? Isn't Nick Collins a big hitting physical safety who lacks in the mental game? Couldn't the same be said for Manuel? I'm not trying to start anything, but I think being physical is one of the aspects this coaching staff likes most in their defensive backfield? Isn't that one of the first things that was said about Frank Walker?

BallHawk
06-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd rather see a young safety get the roster spot, rather then Darius. Darius is a shell of what he was. He's only going to get worse.

Scott Campbell
06-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Dang. Is he healthy? He and Fergy can reacquaint themselves.How about this slap in the face:

Cut Fergy and give Darius his roster spot. :shock:

How bout we bring Darius to camp and let him finish the job.

pbmax
06-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Didn't know about 12 games in two years (10 last year) but he has been feuding with the Jags for a couple of years as well. He was publicly asking for the Vikings and another team to trade for him a while back.

So the release may not mean he's completely shot, given the history.

Patler
06-14-2007, 11:56 PM

There was a time the Packers had big hitters in the backfield. They couldn't cover anyone.

A DB's primary purpose is pass defense. Yes, they have to be decent tacklers, but they do not have to be big hitters.

Guiness
06-15-2007, 06:09 AM
I see Lance Schulters is a UFA again. Didn't he sign a big contract just a year or two ago? They've got him ranked one star...

wist43
06-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Of course a safety has to be able to cover, but I don't want 4 CB's on the field in my base defense... Of course I used to jokingly refer to the Packers defensive philosophy as the 11 corners scheme; but TT has, in fact, made an effort to get more physical back there.

My prototype for a safety is a guy that can patrol the middle of the field in zone, match up with the TE down the seam, and come up and support the run in the box. You throw 4 corners out there, you're basically bringing a pop-gun to a fire fight where everyone else has an AK-47.

In the end, it just depends on what type of scheme you run... the Packers have, in recent history, run very passive schemes up front, combined with light hitting, poor tackling safeties over the top - and of course they've stunk.

From a few years ago, you know you have a pretty wimpy defensive philosophy when the toughest player, hardest hitter on your defense is a Cornerback (Mike McKenzie)...

To TT's credit, he's changing that to some extent - despite the overall passivity of the scheme.

Fritz
06-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Of course, ideally we all want safeties who are physical and can cover, but if it's an either/or scenario I would rather see a safety dragging down a running back but able to blanket a receiver or tight end than a safety who lays the lumber on a running back but watches as the ball sails over his head into the waiting arms of a wide receiver.

Bretsky
06-15-2007, 08:34 AM
If healthy he's certainly better than Manuel for the near term

But we're rebuilding for the future; let the young pups find out if any of them are players

Scott Campbell
07-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Typical Raider signing.

POSTED 4:13 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 5:29 p.m. EDT, July 10, 2007

RAIDERS SIGN DARIUS

The Oakland Raiders have announced the acquisition of free-agent safety Donovin Darius. A first round pick of the Jaguars in the 1998 draft, Darius was cut on June 14 by the team with which he spent nine seasons.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Darius signed a three-year deal worth $7.1 million.

"We are extremely excited about adding Donovin to the Raiders," Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said. "He will bring us immediate competition in our secondary. Donovin exemplifies hard work and dedication to the game. Working with Donovin at Jacksonville, I was able to see what a phenomenal competitor he is. He will fit great into our team philosophy."

Darius visited the Raiders last month. He likely will play strong safety, allowing the team to move current strong safety Michael Huff to free safety, and current free safety Stuart Schweigert to the bench.

BallHawk
07-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Ugh, another vet that TT could of signed and he sat on his ass and didn't do anything.

Off with his head!

HarveyWallbangers
07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Schweigert is a decent, young player with potential to improve even more. Meanwhile, the Raiders will start a 32-year-old, injury prone safety instead.

Bretsky
07-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Ugh, another vet that TT could of signed and he sat on his ass and didn't do anything.

Off with his head!

TT has no time; he's scouting college freshman for the 2010 draft :lol: :lol:

run pMc
07-11-2007, 10:16 AM
My prototype for a safety is a guy that can patrol the middle of the field in zone, match up with the TE down the seam, and come up and support the run in the box. You throw 4 corners out there, you're basically bringing a pop-gun to a fire fight where everyone else has an AK-47.

Totally agree with the prototype...the problem is very few safeties fit that prototype. There's a reason Ronnie Lott is in the HOF and why some say GB hasn't had a decent safety since Leroy Butler. Even Sharper had a few years where he looked shaky or downright incompetant (remember him vs. Ed McCaffrey?).

How many safeties currently fit the prototype? Would Darius (with his age and injury history) qualify?

IMO he would be an upgrade over last year's starters, but I'm guessing TT thinks it's a better gamble to bet the salary and roster spot on a youngster. That seems like quite a gamble for a turtle. :wink:

BallHawk
07-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Off with his head!

TT has no time; he's scouting college freshman for the 2010 draft :lol: :lol:

Who needs college players when you have Bjork?

:wink: :wink:

Carolina_Packer
07-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Perhaps we can get Arturo Freeman or Earl Little back in for a second look see.

That was a pretty rich contract that he got from the Raiders, given his age and injury history. TT must be pretty pleased with the competition he already has. It's easy for us to suggest bringing guys in, but if you're the GM, and you have guys under contract, like Marquand Manuel, do you just throw him out after a season when you gave him a contract like you believed in him? That was Manuel's first year as a full time starter and as I recall, he wasn't fully healthy. Perhaps he's showing a little faith in Manuel as his free agent pick. It could send a bad message if potential free agents see that a GM signs someone and doesn't really give them a chance before cutting them, or has a very short leash. That might make a GM or franchise less enticing to a potential free agent. That's something that a GM would have to think about at least, and not push the panic button.