PDA

View Full Version : Available Free Agents

Carolina_Packer
06-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Here are a couple of links to a comprehensive list of the free agents left on the market.

Players on Offense: http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=650831

Players on Defense: http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=650836

Of the players from these two links, do you see anyone that could help the Packers this season?

I was thinking perhaps Erron Kinney the TE who was with the Titans as well as Tyrone Calico, who is 6'3 220; has only been in the league 3 years.

See anyone else you'd consider?

BallHawk
06-14-2007, 01:45 PM
I'd rather just stay the course with the youth.

If you're going the youth route, why only do it half-way? Go full out. If you have such a high amount of young guys, a few are bound to turn out your way.

HarveyWallbangers
06-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Last I heard, Kinney got a serious injury, and he may never play again. Not sure about Calico.

OS PA
06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I'd bring in Domanick Williams to compete for the third RB spot.
I'd bring in Sammy Knight to compete for a Safety spot.
I'd bring in Grant Wistrom to compete for a DE spot.
I'd bring in Al Wilson to start in Poppinga's place.
And finally
I'd bring in Marco Rivera on a day long contract so he can retire with the right jersey on.

Carolina_Packer
06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I can't believe Dominack Williams (formerly Davis) who has rushed for 1,000 yards (twice I believe) is sitting out there. I don't know what type of back he is; would he fit the ZBS? I can't believe someone hasn't snatched him up yet. Perhaps there's more to his injury.

HarveyWallbangers
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM
He may never play again.

Guiness
06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Ya, the guy they didn't draft Bush for...they were supposed to be set at RB.

Did he ever play again?

HarveyWallbangers
06-14-2007, 03:20 PM
No, he didn't play last year.

Freak Out
06-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm sad BJ hasn't found a home yet. :cry:

LEWCWA
06-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Is Courtney Brown finished?

LEWCWA
06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
I would still like to see the Pack try and revive Charles Rodgers career. The guy was a beast....maybe a year away from the paycheck has matured him? I don't know I just think his talent is worth a look.

BooHoo
06-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Charles Rodgers is lazy and injury prone. I wouldn't sign him to hold the stat board!

Fritz
06-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Also, Chaz Rogers has been running 40's for his tryouts with other teams in the low 5's.

Yup, the low 5's. You could put Brady Poppinga on him, one on one, and Rogers would be covered like a blanket.

Carolina_Packer
06-15-2007, 02:17 PM
If a guy has good strength, and can get off the jam and run his route, he can create enough separation. He may not have great YAC, but even then, could be shifty enough to get additional yards. Meaning, it's not ALL about speed, but you have to be strong and a good route runner. I'm not saying Charles Rogers is that guy, but I do recall he was a tall receiver...was he strong?

The Leaper
06-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Charles Rogers SUCKS.

I'm one of the biggest proponents for going out and getting some size for our red zone offense...Rogers certainly isn't on my wish list.

Carolina_Packer
06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
OK then, nice talking to you! IF Charles Rogers could get his head together and stay healthy, he must still have some talent left. He's not THAT old. Is he not worth a flyer from someone? Again, if he hasn't learned from his experience in Detroit, and is not healthy, forget it, but if he has, perhaps he could reclaim something resembling a career. It's not likely, but it could happen.

Carolina_Packer
06-18-2007, 08:54 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rogers

Looks like a classic case of self-destruction. He had it all right in the palm of his hand and he pissed it away because he lost his head, or he never had the head to begin with. That's the thing about some of these guys. They dominate the game all through college and then get to the pros, and if a high draft choice, usually have to deal with being on a losing team. That's when you find out what kind of mental strength they have. Physical tangibles are great, but what does a guy do when he's finally faced with the adversity of being on a sucky team? If he had stronger character, he could have worked his way back from those injuries, but he pissed it away with drugs and poor work ethic. Now he can't even get a sniff from a team. It's a long shot, and not likely given what has already happened. Unless he has some ephiphany or self-realization and grows up a lot, he's probably done. Like Lombardi said, adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

I still say if he could ever mature, get his head straight and get one more chance and get back in shape, he could revive his career from the dead. His head has everything to do with that notion.

So, do you see anyone else left or anyone becoming available after cut downs that could come in and help? I know we missed the top batch of free agents but are there any second-level guys who could come in and make a difference?

Charles Woodson
06-18-2007, 01:44 PM
And finally
I'd bring in Marco Rivera on a day long contract so he can retire with the right jersey on.

I agree with all of those.

But wasnt Al Wilson a MLB?

OS PA
06-18-2007, 01:58 PM
And finally

I agree with all of those.

But wasnt Al Wilson a MLB?

I'm fairly certain that Denver has the same speed linebackers needed for the Packers scheme, and i'm certain that Al Wilson is no more lacking in coverage than Poppinga is.

Partial
06-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Wilson could probably play wherever.

wist43
06-18-2007, 02:42 PM
In his prime, Wilson was one hell of a backer... don't know how much age/injury have caught up to him though.

Doubt the Packers will have any interest in any of those guys... if anyone else is signed b/4 camp, they'll likely be minimum wage street FA's.

MJZiggy
06-18-2007, 03:47 PM
TT won't bring in anybody--just to spite Bretsky. I called him and he said that's why he's doing it. :lol:

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 05:20 PM
And finally

These are all decent suggestions. I'm not sure Williams is at all healthy yet though.

I think Chris Brown is still out there; he might be worth a flyer.

I'm sure the Snapper will blow the dust off the checkbook pretty soon and sign a few cheapies........by September.

woodbuck27
06-19-2007, 02:04 PM
And finally

These are all decent suggestions. I'm not sure Williams is at all healthy yet though.

** I think Chris Brown is still out there; he might be worth a flyer.

I'm sure the Snapper will blow the dust off the checkbook pretty soon and sign a few cheapies........by September.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

BROWN RETURNS TO TITANS

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that running back Chris Brown has agreed to terms with the Tennessee Titans.

Brown, an unrestricted free agent who spent the first four seasons of his career with the Titans, had narrowed his options down to Chicago and Tennessee.

Per Schefter, Brown signed a one-year deal, with a salary of $1.85 million.

By waiting until June 18, Brown avoided the grind of offseason workouts.

He'll make his return to the Titans in training camp, where he'll be competing with second-year tailback LenWhale White and rookie Chris "Maybe I Should Go By My Middle Name" Henry for touches in 2007. Since 2006 starter Travis Henry is gone, Brown could emerge as the go-to guy, and a solid season could enable him to cash in come 2008.

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2007, 02:26 PM
And finally

I think Chris Brown is still out there; he might be worth a flyer.

There's a better chance that Williams and Wilson will never play again than that they will. Knight has been below average for a few years now. Wistrom might not be bad, but I don't know what kind of salary he's looking for. I wouldn't give him much more than the minimum, and he might not be willing to play for that. Resign Marco whenever he's ready to retire.

cpk1994
06-19-2007, 10:43 PM
I would still like to see the Pack try and revive Charles Rodgers career. The guy was a beast....maybe a year away from the paycheck has matured him? I don't know I just think his talent is worth a look.

I agree, Rodgers was a beast......in college. In the NFL he hasn't been healthy and is a big fat zero. Can't revive a carrer that never got started.

PackerBlues
06-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Sometimes a quarterback makes a reciever look good, sometimes a reciever makes a quarterback look good. Some recievers specialize in catching a certain kind of pass, and some quarterbacks specialize in throwing a certain kind of pass.
Its when the quarterback and the reciever are able to "Gel", that you see something special.

That being said, why not give him a shot? Our current quarterback can make just about any kind of throw that you could ask him to make!

The Leaper
06-20-2007, 08:26 AM
That being said, why not give him a shot? Our current quarterback can make just about any kind of throw that you could ask him to make!

It takes time for a receiver to learn an offense and get used to a QB. We have several young receivers that can use all the reps they can get in training camp. You don't keep bringing in retreads...eventually you have to work on developing the talent selected to fit this offense.

It is highly unlikely that Rodgers in 2 months, while learning a new scheme and setting, would prove to be clearly better than the kids we have who have now spent a year or two in our system.

In the process, his presence will only HINDER the development of other guys by reducing overall reps.

We have enough WRs on the roster now...we have enough of just about every position on the roster. We don't need another player unless they CLEARLY are an upgrade over a contributor we already have. I don't put Rodgers in that category.

Bretsky
06-20-2007, 08:34 AM
We have plenty of quantity at many positions; we're not making a title run in 07. Might as well find out if any of our quantity has quality.

For what it's worth I'd have no problem is TT brought in Charles Rodgers if he's in shape and the Snapper thinks he can help us success in the future.

Fritz
06-20-2007, 08:55 AM
We have plenty of quantity at many positions; we're not making a title run in 07. Might as well find out if any of our quantity has quality.

For what it's worth I'd have no problem is TT brought in Charles Rodgers if he's in shape and the Snapper thinks he can help us success in the future.

After the Lions CUT Charles Rogers, he tried out with several teams, inclding Tampa Bay. Not one team offered him a contract, not one team even offered an invite for a second workout.

You can stick a fork in this guy. If you think anybody can revive his career, then call up Jamaal Reynolds, too.

Rogers always was a head case. At Michigan State he refused to return kicks and punts because he didn't want to risk injury and put his high draft status in jeopardy. With the Lions he had a reputation as a loner and a low-effort practice guy.

Charles Woodson
06-20-2007, 09:50 AM

You just want him so you can take away your damn sig. :laugh:

wist43
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
He got his bonus money... if he wasn't motivated b/4, can't see him being motivated after having gotten paid.

He'll probably show up in the headlines in 5-6 years, "Former Lion arrested on 'fill in the blank' charges".

woodbuck27
06-21-2007, 01:29 PM
He got his bonus money... if he wasn't motivated b/4, can't see him being motivated after having gotten paid.

He'll probably show up in the headlines in 5-6 years, "Former Lion arrested on 'fill in the blank' charges".

The best he'll (Charles Rodgers) ever be, is some pseudo character or model for a Stephen King Novel.

What a waste of talent.

KYPack
06-21-2007, 04:28 PM
And finally

Williams is done. Serious knee trouble
A vet safety is a good idea, not sure if Knight is that guy. I was always intrigued by Lance Shulters, that kind of guy I like, not an underachiever like Knight.
Wistrom is over physically, also.
Wilson is a tough ball player that's lost a step or two. He's a Mike, how's that help our SAM situation?
Yeah, Rivera should get the same treatment Free is getting, even tho he wasn't the same caliber player.

I'd look at any TE's that are out there.