PDA

View Full Version : Will Blackmon - The Next David Martin?

Fritz
06-15-2007, 08:21 AM
I see he's now missed the last six OTA's or whatever these things are, due to a strained groin that MM seems to think is not serious.

I had high hopes for Blackmon, but it appears that every time he gets near a football field, he gets hurt. At this point, you really gotta wonder about the guy.

If he can't get through training camp, I say it's best to cut his probably-injured ass and get on with Dendry and Williams and whatever else TT can dredge up between now and then.

wist43
06-15-2007, 08:27 AM
I think they're counting on Blackmon and Underwood being major contributors this year... that might be pretty optimistic to think that both of them will get healthy, and stay healthy all year.

Don't know where Blackmon is in terms of rehab, but Underwood is behind schedule. If Woodson or Harris goes down, they'll be in big trouble.

Fritz
06-15-2007, 08:29 AM
I did not know Underwood was behind schedule, but at least that guy has had ONE injury and is rehabbing. Blackmon has had what, a toe problem, then a rib problem, now a groin injury. Those guys with the injury-du-jour are the ones that scare me most.

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Don't know where Blackmon is in terms of rehab, but Underwood is behind schedule.

Not according to Mike McCarthy, and that's all I can go off right now.

(What's the progress of Marviel Underwood?)
Marviel, he's ahead of schedule with his rehab. Very bright. I say it over and over again with the injuries. We'll probably wait until training camp as far as the extent of injury that he did have. So that's where he is. He's having an excellent offseason, and it really started for him during the season. I think he's done a very good job taking advantage of the time with the other parts of his body. So I'm very pleased with the progress he's made.

Fritz
06-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks, Patler - er, I mean Harvey.

wist43
06-15-2007, 09:47 AM
I heard a few ago that Underwood was behind schedule and might not even be able to begin running b/4 training camp... I want to say it was one of the beat writers that's a regular on the local radio stations. Wilde maybe.

When it comes to injury status - if it comes from MM or TT, I take it with a grain of salt.

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I heard a few ago that Underwood was behind schedule and might not even be able to begin running b/4 training camp... I want to say it was one of the beat writers that's a regular on the local radio stations. Wilde maybe.

When it comes to injury status - if it comes from MM or TT, I take it with a grain of salt.

Not sure what the benefit would be to McCarthy to lie about the injury at this point.

woodbuck27
06-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Not sure what the benefit would be to McCarthy to lie about the injury at this point.

Dam it Harvey. . . why so naive ?

MM will do and say as he's told. :)

It's always that way in PRO sports or there is a collision between the GM (owner) and the HC.

MJZiggy
06-15-2007, 01:24 PM
TT's got no reason to lie about it at this point either.

Fritz
06-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Okay, Woodbuck, I'll bite - what's the benefit to TT to have MM lie to the effect that Underwood is on schedule if he's not? Would TT imagine that, gee, nobody will find out by the beginning of training camp that Underwood is not rehabbing well and isn't good to go? What's the benefit?

wist43
06-15-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm not saying he's lying... I just take everything with a wink and a nod.

For the most part, they play their cards close to the vest, and are less than forthcoming on injuries. I think Belichick has had an effect, league wide, in this regard.

If any of you remember, I was proclaiming Underwood the starter a few weeks back... the report of his injury status backed me off of that stance - but, as I said, I can't remember for sure where I heard it... think it was Wilde though.

Packnut
06-15-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm getting worried about Jenings too. First the ankle sprain that lasted forever and now a hip flexor injury. Sure makes ya appreciate a wideout like DD who's always there.

MJZiggy
06-15-2007, 02:08 PM
I think at this point in the season, you really can't look at injuries because M3's gonna hold them out of practice for a paper cut if need be to ensure it doesn't get worse for training camp...

woodbuck27
06-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Okay, Woodbuck, I'll bite - what's the benefit to TT to have MM lie to the effect that Underwood is on schedule if he's not? Would TT imagine that, gee, nobody will find out by the beginning of training camp that Underwood is not rehabbing well and isn't good to go? What's the benefit?

I'm simply saying that it's not good politics for the HC to go all out there totally up on all matters to the press.

I'm saying that, team policy wouldn't be healthy for the HC to be that way.

On matters concerning players health, to team health overall. I'm implying that the HC is guided in what info. he can release or openly discuss with the press by the teams GM.

There is an atmosphere of extreme secrecy going on in the Green Bay packers Organization for the time being that is certainly obvious at this time.

See John Jones.

The same policy is handed down through all levels that includes GM to HC and coaching staff.

Bretsky
06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I think at this point in the season, you really can't look at injuries because M3's gonna hold them out of practice for a paper cut if need be to ensure it doesn't get worse for training camp...

good chance he'll also give the press the kool aide version report on injuries as well

MJZiggy
06-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Why?

MJZiggy
06-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Why?

Bretsky
06-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Why?

I'm using a bit of common sense to say in the offseason coaches will spin things on the positive side. Team morale; positive motivation. That's my theory.

Rastak
06-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Why?

I'm using a bit of common sense to say in the offseason coaches will spin things on the positive side. Team morale; positive motivation. That's my theory.

Yea, I gotta side with Bretsky on this one.

MJZiggy
06-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I was just asking, not trying to be contentious or anything.

Joemailman
06-15-2007, 07:39 PM
I was just asking, not trying to be contentious or anything.

Oh, come on. Be contentious. Things have been pretty boring lately.

In the case of Underwood, I really do think MM is just being cautious. That was a pretty serious injury Underwood had. The case of Blackmon is more troubling if he can't get on the practice field. I was quite surprised that TT didn't draft any CB's in 2007. Hope that doesn't come back to haunt us.

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2007, 10:58 PM
I think it's silly to think that at this point the coach would say Underwood was ahead of schedule if he weren't. Maybe he's on schedule. Maybe he's ahead of schedule, but why would he say that Underwood should be ready for training camp if he thinks he won't be?

Scott Campbell
06-16-2007, 08:02 AM
I think it's silly to think that at this point the coach would say Underwood was ahead of schedule if he weren't.

Unless your hell bent on more conspiracy theories.

Rastak
06-16-2007, 08:09 AM
I think it's silly to think that at this point the coach would say Underwood was ahead of schedule if he weren't. Maybe he's on schedule. Maybe he's ahead of schedule, but why would he say that Underwood should be ready for training camp if he thinks he won't be?

Why did Saban say it last year with Culpepper?

:wink:

RashanGary
06-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Because Saban is a pathalogical liar.

Rastak
06-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Because Saban is a pathalogical liar.

Yea, I wish I could argue with you but when a guy is right, he's right.

Fritz
06-16-2007, 10:13 AM
I think, best available or not, TT is going to pick up a cornerback or two in next year's draft.

Patler
06-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I think, best available or not, TT is going to pick up a cornerback or two in next year's draft.

That is starting to shape up as a position of glaring need. Woodson and Harris will both be gone in not too many more seasons. I was hoping to see a decent prospect landed this year.

Blackmon - who knows at this point. There did seem to be a bit of frustration coming from MM in his comments on Blackmon. Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

The_Dude
06-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I wonder if blackmon's inability to stay on the field will influence TT to look harder into Paul Oliver in the supplemental draft.

RashanGary
06-16-2007, 10:47 AM
For this year I think we are OK. I think Patrick Dendy is pretty good and underrated. He's done a good job whenever he's gotten a chance.

I don't want to hang my hat on him as a starter after Woodson/Harris are gone but I think he can be a #3 CB for 5 or 6 years if he progresses a little.

I agree that CB is becoming a position of weakness. Sooner than later we need to start finding our CB successors and getting them groomed to play.

SD GB fan
06-16-2007, 10:52 AM
fear not. our FA prize, frank walker anyone?

Patler
06-16-2007, 11:13 AM
fear not. our FA prize, frank walker anyone?

Walker has started, and could be still learning. Won't be great, but could be OK.

I still have hopes for Blackmon. He wasn't injured at all in college, and started every game as a sophmore, junior and senior. He was versatile enough to be their leading receiver as a senior after playing defense the previous 3 years. He returned kicks and punts. He seemed to be accustomed to a lot of work, without injuries. Hopefully this has just been an unforunate string of things and he will get over it.

Tarlam!
06-16-2007, 12:32 PM

I saw on NFL Total Access today how some kid named Oliver is entering the Supplemental Draft. His claim to fame is he held that Detroit WR whose name shall not pass over my keyboards (OK, Calvin JJJJJJJJ) to a measly 2 catches....

I got the urge to suggest we draft him...

Fritz
06-18-2007, 08:18 AM

I saw on NFL Total Access today how some kid named Oliver is entering the Supplemental Draft. His claim to fame is he held that Detroit WR whose name shall not pass over my keyboards (OK, Calvin JJJJJJJJ) to a measly 2 catches....

Anybody know anything else about this Paul Oliver? Opinions?

To me, just from the name, he sounds like a New York stage actor. Wasn't he the lead in Les Mis?

Charles Woodson
06-18-2007, 10:01 AM

Anybody know anything else about this Paul Oliver? Opinions?

To me, just from the name, he sounds like a New York stage actor. Wasn't he the lead in Les Mis?

Paul Oliver

Went to Georgia

Coming out of high school he had good measurables. 5 star recruit.

Cornerback
Kennesaw (GA) Harrison

Ht: 6-foot-0
Wt: 185 lbs
Forty: 4.32 secs
Bench max: 255 pounds
Squat max: 385 pounds
Vertical: 37 inches
SAT: 860
Class: 2003 (High School)

Georgia Cornerback Paul Oliver Drawing Interest in NFL Supplemental Draft

Michael David SmithPosted Jun 16th 2007 9:50AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: NFL Draft, NFL Gossip, NFL Rumors
Football fans sometimes forget that there are two NFL drafts each year. Everyone knows the big one on the last weekend in April that dominates the sports world and allows every fan to obsess about some offensive lineman from Kansas they had never heard of two weeks ago.

But there's also a supplemental draft, in which NFL teams have a chance to look at a few players who weren't eligible for the April draft. The supplemental draft isn't a particularly big deal, and some years not a single player is selected, but this year one player is drawing serious interest: Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver.

Oliver left school before the spring semester, and just as his absence was a big blow to Georgia's defense, his presence in the supplemental draft is getting NFL general managers excited. NFL Network's Adam Schefter has reported that Oliver is expected to be a third- or fourth-round pick in the July 12 supplemental draft.

He might go even higher than that. Matched up with Calvin Johnson when Georgia played Georgia Tech last season, Oliver had an outstanding game, as Johnson finished with just two catches for 13 yards. Johnson was the second pick in the April draft, and if Oliver puts on a show when he works out for NFL scouts on Wednesday, a whole lot of NFL teams will have an interest in the guy who shut Johnson down.

— CB Paul Oliver was ruled academically ineligible and is expected to enter the NFL's supplemental draft. Oliver was likely to be a preseason All-American and was one of Georgia's most valuable players.

Charles Woodson
06-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Oliver ineligible for '07, will enter supplemental draft

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: May 18, 2007, 2:51 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Georgia senior cornerback Paul Oliver has has been declared academically ineligible for the 2007 season and plans to petition the NFL for entry into the supplemental draft this summer.

Oliver started 15 games in his career and was fifth on the team with 57 tackles and had three interceptions last season. His stock rose after shutting down Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson in the season finale last season. Johnson had only two catches for 13 yards in the Bulldogs' 15-12 victory.

With Oliver out, the Bulldogs are expected to start sophomore Bryan Evans and either senior Thomas Flowers or sophomores Asher Allen or Prince Miller at cornerback. A Georgia coach said Thursday that safety Rashad Jones also could move to cornerback to replace Oliver.

The Bulldogs, who won their last three games to finish 9-4 last season, already faced the arduous task of replacing starting ends Quinton Moses and Charles Johnson, safety Tra Battle and linebacker Tony Taylor.

BallHawk
06-18-2007, 09:07 PM
The last thing we need to do is make our secondary dumber. We've already got a box of rocks in Collins and I don't know how smart somebody named after a video game system can be. :lol:

He held Calvin Johnson to 2 catches, big deal. The CB from Troy held CJ to 2 catches for 9 yards. Should we draft him? Damn, you'll be lucky if you can even find his name. :D :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
-- Safety Marviel Underwood (knee) continues to be held out of all contact drills, but he appeared to be moving well during a hip-swivel drill.

Damn! He's already looking good doing the hip-swivel drills.
:D

Rastak
06-18-2007, 09:40 PM
-- Safety Marviel Underwood (knee) continues to be held out of all contact drills, but he appeared to be moving well during a hip-swivel drill.

What the hell, is that something McCarthy got off American Bandstand?

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 09:43 PM

Appears so :wink:

woodbuck27
06-19-2007, 01:07 PM

That is starting to shape up as a position of glaring need. Woodson and Harris will both be gone in not too many more seasons. I was hoping to see a decent prospect landed this year.

Blackmon - who knows at this point. There did seem to be a bit of frustration coming from MM in his comments on Blackmon. Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

I felt also that MM's comment on the time of return to practise for Will Blackmon demonstrated a little frustration or impatience on MM's part.

He had better get back soon (paraphrasing MM) begs the ?. . . why does Blackmon have to get back soon.

That takes me to the fact that alot of players have to be cut but we are not long on quality CB's. I am also one of those that was really excited about the talent that Will Blackmon demonstrated in his college video's.

I hope his luck turns around but I see no reason or pressure to release him yet.

Maybe MM was just demonstrating some frustration with this man medical history since we drafted him?