PDA

View Full Version : A few things that have struck me as reasons to be optimistic

RashanGary
06-15-2007, 09:28 AM
1. McCarthy and the staff have praised the Oline (young and old) for being in great shape. It hasn't been every off season that we come in and our young question marks are being praised for being in GREAT shape. Whittaker and Barry were the opposite a year ago.

2. Vernand Mornency - While he hasn't proven he could be an NFL starter, everything about his work ethic and approach suggest he'll be better than he was a year ago and maybe good enough to improve our run game combined with the O-line.

3. Greg Jennings - Jennings played well enough as a rookie that it inspires some excitement heading into his second season.

4. AJ Hawk - Ditto to Jennings but better. Hawk should be listed first on this list if it was in order of best to worste. With all of the ability (physical and skill) that Hawk has shown combined with what is said to be a second to none workout approach, I think we have a chance to see the next special Packer explode before our eyes.

5. Justin Harrell/Corey Williams/Ryan Pickett - I list this as one because with two of these three guys playing DT for every snap of every game, we have a chance at having a true impact from the interior defensive line for the first time since 1997.

6. Mike McCarthy/Brett Favre - McCarthy/Favre seem to be on the same page with a focus and a positive direction. I think we'll get to see Favre go out on a positive note with a defense setting him up with good field position and an improved offensive line that should pass block and run block better than a year ago. Also, McCarthy has a chance to build on last year successes and iron out it's failures. McCarthy seems to be stressing fundementals, repetition and excecution more than playbook volume. I tend to subscribe to the less is more approach to offense and defense.

7. Woodson - McCarthy has never been one to say a guy is in "better shape" when he's not. McCarthy has given credit to Woodson for being in better shape than a year ago and IMO him and Harris holding up are going to be key if we want to push at the playoffs.

8. Kickers and Punters tend to steadily improve early in their career so both Rayner and Ryan should be better in 07 than 06. If someone beats them out, it will be an improvement too, so regardless I expect improvement from the K/P. As far as coverage goes, we have Barbre and Rouse as new, likely additions to the ST's coverage units. I don't see us losing any atheltic, tough guys so if anything we should be better here as well.

That's about it as far as things that have inspired optimism with me. Guys like Dendy, Ruvell Martin, Johnny Jolly, et al. . . . are also guys that I think have a chance to step up but as far as the big ones, the 7 I listed above are the biggest reasons I have optimism in 2007.

RashanGary
06-15-2007, 09:32 AM
I listed Morency as a good with his approach, but it's also a bad as far as being proven.

My question marks are. . . .

SS
RB (starter and backup)
#3 WR
#3 CB

The Leaper
06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
1. McCarthy and the staff have praised the Oline (young and old) for being in great shape. It hasn't been every off season that we come in and our young question marks are being praised for being in GREAT shape. Whittaker and Barry were the opposite a year ago.

The young kids do seem to be hard workers...which is a good thing. DC showed a lot last year by coming back strong after being demoted. Spitz and Moll don't have great talent, but their effort makes up for some of that. Hopefully, they take a good step forward this year.

I agree with all those reasons. Unfortunately, we also have the negatives at TE and major question marks at WR and S. If the team stays healthy, they have a shot at 8+ wins and playoff contention. Injuries could doom this team in a hurry, because depth is not a strength.

woodbuck27
06-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I believe that the key to any success this season will lie in the simple things like having the players prepared and cutting any deadwood early.

Last season we saw predominately a new coaching staff in Green Bay. We finished at 8-8, but given our schedule in 2007 and improvements in the other teams in our weak sister NFCN to get back to 8-8 is a heavy load.

If you observe MM's reaction to the question on Will Blackmon and his latest injury . You may gain a litle insight or speculate on the teams goals and the players needs to be set to meet those goals.

There are only so many roster spots and alot of players to send on their way.

MM has to follow up 2006 with 6-8 wins, or next season may be his last as our HC.

The pressure is squarely on our HC to get the team ready to compete given what TT has secured for him. :)

It's not what Favre or DD or the defense must do, but all important what Mike McCarthy must do.

PackerBlues
06-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I love your optimism Justin. I am somewhat of a pessimist though, so I just want to point out that Clifton and Tauscher are nearing the end of their careers, as are Woodson and Harris. The positions that those guys play, may be the hardest positions to find skilled players for. Right now, you could easily say that these four guys are some of the best playing the game right now. I worry that by the time our young guys gain enough experience to give solid contributions, these four guys will be nearing retirement.
I guess on the bright side, by the time these guys do retire, we will have more than enough cap room to sign a free agent or two to replace them.

RashanGary
06-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I guess on the bright side, by the time these guys do retire, we will have more than enough cap room to sign a free agent or two to replace them.

Or even better we can keep all of our young up and comers becuase situations like Wahles wont' ever come about as we will tie our core up early similar to Jenkins and Barnett this off season. Then, we can have a few solid drafts adn maybe a special one like the 2006 draft sprinkled in. We can fill those positions over the next 2 or 3 years, some with high picks, some with middle picks and maybe some with late picks. We can scour the scrap heaps occasionally uncovering some value and when worse comes to worse and all we have is an Ahmad Carroll, we can hit up the FA market.