PDA

View Full Version : Freeman retiring as a Packer

digitaldean
06-15-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=6/15/2007&id=25100

Freeman to retire as a Packer

The Green Bay Packers signed former receiver Antonio Freeman to an NFL contract, a source with knowledge of the signing confirmed Friday morning.

The Packers and Freeman agreed to the deal so he can retire from the NFL officially as a Packer.

Freeman was quarterback Brett Favre's favorite target in the Packers Super Bowl years, leading the Packers in receiving from 1996 to 1999.

In eight seasons in Green Bay, Freeman caught 431 passes, fifth most all-time by a Packer behind Sterling Sharpe (595), James Lofton (530), Don Hutson (488) and Boyd Dowler (448).

In 2002, Freeman played for Philadelphia before he returned to an injury-plagued Packers. In his final year with the Packers, 2003, Freeman caught 14 passes for 141 yards. He signed on with Miami in 2004 but was released in the roster cut down in training camp.

Freeman will best be remembered for two things: his coming out party in 1996 when he earned the starting job in camp and then went on to catch 56 passes for 933 yards and nine touchdowns, despite breaking his left forearm on Oct. 27. The injury required surgery and caused him to miss four games and he had to play the rest of the Super Bowl championship season with a protective cast.

He also made that miraculous catch in a downpour in Lambeau Field on Monday Night football against the Packers bitter rivals, Minnesota.

On Nov. 6, 2000, the Packers and Vikings were tied at 20. Favre threw downfield but the ball bounced off Vikings cornerback Cris Dishman.

Knowing the ball was still live when nearly everyone else on the field and in the stands thought it was dead, Freeman snatched the ball, collected himself at the 15-yard line and raced into the end zone for the 43-yard touchdown completion. The Packers stunned everyone with the 26-20 victory in overtime.

Freeman, known by everyone on the team as 'Free', is 35.

Now if they can just do the same for Marco Rivera.

RashanGary
06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I just get this wierd feeling that all of these guys that Thompson pushed for and drafted are guys that he is now bringing back and allowing to be a part of a team. A part of me sees a little ego in TT and this is the type of thing that feeds it for him.

This is just a complete guess, but I find it odd that he is bringing these guys back like this.

MJZiggy
06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
They were part of the SB team. They should be able to retire as Packers. I'm really happy that so many of our former players would rather retire as Packers than with the teams they played for later.

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2007, 10:55 AM
This is just a complete guess, but I find it odd that he is bringing these guys back like this.

Bringing them back? He's just letting them retire as Packers. Every team does it now. It's more a bone to the player, but it doesn't mean the player has any involvement with the franchise.

Freak Out
06-15-2007, 11:09 AM
As it should be.

Freak Out
06-15-2007, 11:11 AM
:pc: There should be a bandwidth/server one of these.

RashanGary
06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
It means nothing. Why even do it? To me it's just a waste of time. The guy was what he was and is gone. Who really cares what team he's on when during his last contract?

Partial
06-15-2007, 11:15 AM
His glory days were as a Packer. I think all great packers past and present should retire as one.

Freak Out
06-15-2007, 11:55 AM
It means nothing. Why even do it? To me it's just a waste of time. The guy was what he was and is gone. Who really cares what team he's on when during his last contract?

It means nothing to you but that's not what matters in this situation. Freeman wants to retire as a Packer and the Packers want him to retire as a Packer. Hell, Justin Harrell probably wants him to retire as a Packer. :lol:

mraynrand
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
That's odd. I thought Freeman retired halfway through the 2000 season.

Tarlam!
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Now if they can just do the same for Marco Rivera.

Or, maybe he has another season or two in him, and he comes in and plays and we win a SB.

Then he retires as a Packer.

packinpatland
06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I miss screaming "AAAANTOOOOOOONIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOO" as he caught the ball and raced down the field.

Glad he's retiring as a Packer. :pack:

MadtownPacker
06-15-2007, 01:07 PM
I just get this wierd feeling that all of these guys that Thompson pushed for and drafted are guys that he is now bringing back and allowing to be a part of a team. A part of me sees a little ego in TT and this is the type of thing that feeds it for him.

This is just a complete guess, but I find it odd that he is bringing these guys back like this.Dammit JH you dropped the ball on this one. This was a chance for you to praise TT and no one would disagree.

This is nothing about ego. This is TT doing the classy and correct thing for a true Packer. Like others mentioned, I hope he does the same for Marco Rivera.

woodbuck27
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Huh !!

Do you eat salt and pepper as seasoning?

Maybe your just not coming out clearly and suggesting that. . .??

No matter who he last played for. Freeman or any other player who was once a Packer should be able to choose the Packer colors as his official team to retire under, without the formality of signing any other contract with them.

Fritz
06-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Here's to hoping they'll bring back Cletidus Hunt so he can retire as a Packer.

Tarlam!
06-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Well, this was one of your most brilliant posts.... Way to be a downer, Fritz.

Lynx4Ben
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Seriously, I bet you are 16 or less; because a statement like this shows you are not aware of the significance of our Superbowl run.

Freeman was a huge part of that. He will end up in the Packer's Hall of Fame. Yet you would not want to give him the honor of retiring a Packer? This is not about the fan as much as it is about the player. It means a lot to him. He achieved his career goal with the Packers. We should be happy he recognizes the significance and honors the team, organization, and fans by retiring a Packer.

Oh yeah and it certainly has nothing to do with the GM. If TT did not honor such a request that would be worse in my mind than any football roster related move he could make.

woodbuck27
06-15-2007, 03:38 PM

Seriously, I bet you are 16 or less; because a statement like this shows you were not aware of the significance of our Superbowl run.

Freeman was a huge part of that. He will end up on the Packer's Hall of Fame. Yet you would not want to give him the honor of retiring a Packer? This is not about the fan as much as it is about the player. It means a lot to him. He achieved his career goal with the Packers. We should be happy he recognizes the significance and honors the team, organization, and fans by retiring a Packer.

Oh yeah and it certainly has nothing to do with the GM. If TT did not honor such a request that would be worse in my mind than any football roster related move he could make.

Of course your correct.

JH is just coming off. . . a wee bit strange here. :)

Otherwise described using the word confusing.

oregonpackfan
06-15-2007, 06:11 PM
The catch against the Vikings in 2000 has to go down as one of the most incredible pass plays in the history of the franchise, if not the NFL.

My younger brother particularly savors that catch as he had seats on the 15 yard line to personally view that play.

Freak Out
06-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Did Hunt ever play with a broken jaw? or did they just wire it shut to keep him quiet?

packinpatland
06-15-2007, 06:39 PM
The catch against the Vikings in 2000 has to go down as one of the most incredible pass plays in the history of the franchise, if not the NFL.

My younger brother particularly savors that catch as he had seats on the 15 yard line to personally view that play.

Of that, I am truely envious!!!!

Rastak
06-15-2007, 06:52 PM

That was the luckiest friggen catch I EVER saw......yea, sour grapes....but it WAS! Really!

:shock:

RashanGary
06-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Was that the catch where he was leaping over a defender and caught the ball fully sprawled out diving into the endzone?

This is a long time ago for me, but I seem to remember Freeman making a catch like that.

Kiwon
06-15-2007, 07:27 PM
That was the luckiest friggen catch I EVER saw.

Freeman made a lot of lucky friggen catches. A body-catcher all the way.

MJZiggy
06-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Was that the catch where he was leaping over a defender and caught the ball fully sprawled out diving into the endzone?

This is a long time ago for me, but I seem to remember Freeman making a catch like that.

No, this is the one where the ball bounced off the defender and kinda landed on his chest and he wrapped his hands around it, got up, and ran into the end zone.

Partial
06-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Youtube'd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_dQrqiFIKI)

Rastak
06-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Youtube'd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_dQrqiFIKI)

Yea if I recall that was Dishman who made a nice play on the ball and it landed on Freeman's leg and bounced into his hands (hard to see on youtube)...Dishman is celebrating like a fricken idiot while Freeman waltzes into the endzone with his gift. I hated Dishman before he got to the Vikes because of a play where he stuck the ball out after a pick and had it slapped away and I hated him even more after that play.

Patler
06-15-2007, 08:09 PM

As others have said, this has nothing to do with TT. Its the PLAYER that instigates it. They come to the team and ask. More and more players are doing it. If you really watch the stories closely, almost every summer there are a bunch that go back for a day or two, just so they can retire under the team banner they identify most closely with. I have a feeling it has to do with NFLPA retirement lists or something. They probably use the last team played for in retirement lists.

The one that really surprised my was Bryce Paup a few years back. He asked the Packers to do it and they did. He wasn't in GB all that long, and was Defensive Player of the Year after he left GB. But he said at the time his heart was always in GB, which he has proven since his retirement.

Partial
06-15-2007, 08:43 PM
How did Freeman leave the Packers? I remember he signed a six-year, 36 millionish contract, but I don't remember if he played it out or what.

BooHoo
06-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Let Freeman retire as a Packer. It is a good thing and doesn't hurt us in any way. Let Green retire as a Packer when it is his turn. :D

GBRulz
06-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Let Freeman retire as a Packer. It is a good thing and doesn't hurt us in any way. Let Green retire as a Packer when it is his turn. :D

Green SHOULD have retired as a Packer, but no thanks to TT... ok ok, I won't go down that road again!

Anyhow, Freeman was a great player for us, glad he is retiring as a packer. It's just too bad that his last game with us was the 4th and 26th debacle :cry: Talk about a crappy last game with your team.

Patler
06-15-2007, 08:58 PM
How did Freeman leave the Packers? I remember he signed a six-year, 36 millionish contract, but I don't remember if he played it out or what.

The Packers released him when his salary got so high he wasn't worth it. GB took a $4.3 million cap hit in 2003 because of it.

Chubbyhubby
06-15-2007, 10:03 PM
I wonder if this will settle Favre down a little when he was outraged with not getting Moss. I think this is a great move. Favre always said he needed familiarity with his WR besides Driver he was getting rookies. Now with "Free" on board he is happy. Good move on TT part.

Packers4Ever
06-15-2007, 10:06 PM
His glory days were as a Packer. I think all great packers past and present should retire as one.

I agree, he did his job well and evidently

still wants to be a part of the Green Bay Packers.
:five:

PackerBlues
06-16-2007, 01:09 AM
I wonder if this will settle Favre down a little when he was outraged with not getting Moss. I think this is a great move. Favre always said he needed familiarity with his WR besides Driver he was getting rookies. Now with "Free" on board he is happy. Good move on TT part.

I'm sorry, but are you a freakin iimbesile?

OS PA
06-16-2007, 04:07 AM

Your freeman catch is at the 2:30 mark in this highlight video...

The video is a great highlight reel of Favre too, lots of footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdRG3qYnwh0

PS: Fergy shows his potential at 4:10.. and wow I wish he could do that all the time.

cpk1994
06-16-2007, 07:03 AM

Yes, Freeman did make a catch like that and it is one BEARMAN or whatever he calls himself should remember very well. It happened against the Bears at Soldier Field in 1996. John Madden had an orgasm after that play.

Free aslo caught a hail mary at the end of the first half of that game as the Pack steamrolled the Bears 37-6.

packinpatland
06-16-2007, 08:09 AM

I'm sorry, but are you a freakin retard?

Use of that word is totally unacceptable. It is just as offensive as the N word.
Find another when you want to disparage someone.

Patler
06-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Use of that word is totally unacceptable. It is just as offensive as the N word.

Which could lead to an interesting discussion. What makes a WORD "totally unacceptable" and for how long? A word is really nothing, absent the intent of the person using it. Meanings of words change over time.

I have never quite understood why people get so upset over a particular word, ignoring the intent of the person who uses it. I always found it more productive to challenge what is meant than to challenge the use of a particular word.

Which gets us back to Purdue actually considering changing the quote from alum Neil Armstrong in their promotional literature, because of his use of the word "man".

PackerBlues
06-16-2007, 08:48 AM

The "N-word".........You mean "Nigger"? Its ok, just say it........"Calling someone a retard is just as offensive as calling someone a nigger". It's ok to call someone in these forums an idiot, or stupid.........but your offended by the word "retard." Thats retarded, but I went ahead and edited my post just to make you happy. But I am guessing its all about semantics for you. Had I called his posting "retarded", I doubt that you would have givin a shit. After all, I have seen the words "idiot", "stupid", "dumbass", and countless others used frequently here.

To ChubbyHubby, the "Die Hard Packer Fan", I am sorry that I called you a name that PIPL didnt like, but for a guy that claims to be a Die Hard fan........your an idiot.

packinpatland
06-16-2007, 08:58 AM

The "N-word".........You mean "Nigger"? Its ok, just say it........"Calling someone a retard is just as offensive as calling someone a nigger". It's ok to call someone in these forums an idiot, or stupid.........but your offended by the word "retard." Thats retarded, but I went ahead and edited my post just to make you happy. But I am guessing its all about semantics for you. Had I called his posting "retarded", I doubt that you would have givin a shit. After all, I have seen the words "idiot", "stupid", "dumbass", and countless others used frequently here.

To ChubbyHubby, the "Die Hard Packer Fan", I am sorry that I called you a name that PIPL didnt like, but for a guy that claims to be a Die Hard fan........your an idiot.

This hardly dignifies an answer.
You were wrong with your choice of wordage in your first post, and totally out line with the second.

Rastak
06-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Is it really necessary to call the guy anything? What he said made no sense whatsoever to me either but it didn't occur to me to attack the guy.

Patler
06-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Is it really necessary to call the guy anything? What he said made no sense whatsoever to me either but it didn't occur to me to attack the guy.

Exactly. What was the intent behind calling him anything at all, either an arguably "acceptable" name or an "unacceptable" one? Either way it was unneccessary.

MJZiggy
06-16-2007, 09:20 AM

Exactly. What was the intent behind calling him anything at all, either an arguably "acceptable" name or an "unacceptable" one? Either way it was unneccessary.

Amen...CH misconstrued a post. Obviously read something wrong which has no bearing on his mental capacities. No need to attack.

PackerBlues
06-16-2007, 09:31 AM
You guys are all right. I was wrong. I am sorry. ChubbyHubby, I am very sorry, instead of calling you a retard, I should have simply pointed out that Freeman is simply signing a contract with the Packers so as to retire as a Packer. He will not be playing for the Packers again.........he is like a billion years old now and not someone you would want playing WR.......he still may be better than Fergy though, lol.

I apologize to all of you for my outbursts........sometimes I just get a little carried away, kinda crazy, I guess you could say. :crazy:

packinpatland
06-16-2007, 09:49 AM
You guys are all right. I was wrong. I am sorry. ChubbyHubby, I am very sorry, instead of calling you a retard, I should have simply pointed out that Freeman is simply signing a contract with the Packers so as to retire as a Packer. He will not be playing for the Packers again.........he is like a billion years old now and not someone you would want playing WR.......he still may be better than Fergy though, lol.

I apologize to all of you for my outbursts........sometimes I just get a little carried away, kinda crazy, I guess you could say. :crazy:

Apology accepted. But you know you're on 'probation' now. :wink:

PackerBlues
06-16-2007, 09:54 AM
:oops: completely understood.

FritzDontBlitz
06-16-2007, 10:34 AM

i believe you are referring to the play where "free" posterized two chicago defenders right before halftime. the exact game i do not recall but its probably my favorite freeman moment.

mraynrand
06-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I think you all are too sensitive to name calling. I find name calling refreshing. For example, that Cleft Crusty guy is a total asshole.

packinpatland
06-16-2007, 06:31 PM
You know, coming from you, maybe that's a compliment? :wink:

Kiwon
06-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Apology accepted. But you know you're on 'probation' now. :wink:

:cry: I just want to say that I love everyone in this room right now.
:hug:

falco
06-17-2007, 12:48 AM

How ironic packerblues. now you look like the retard.

PackerBlues
06-17-2007, 02:53 AM

How ironic packerblues. now you look like the retard.

wow. :wow: you got me on that one. congrats :beat: :bs: