PDA

View Full Version : One Man's Garbage

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I found this amusing. While Martin flashed talent at times. He was mostly a disappointing tease. He's not young anymore either. He's 28-years-old, and has missed a ton of games in his career. That includes the one year he played 16 games. It's not just a fluke injury or two either. He's missed 8 games one year, 7 another, 5 another, 4 another. Not to mention the games he went out early in.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/06/12/break.outs/index.html

Ten young players who will make a splash in 2007

DAVID MARTIN, TE, MIAMI
Signed by the Dolphins in the offseason, Martin will be a major part of Cam Cameron's rebuilt offense. Possessing the speed and quickness of a receiver, Martin gives them a bona fide threat down the middle. And while he has never caught more than 27 passes in a season, he has all of the tools to play the role of Antonio Gates (Cameron's tight end in San Diego) in the Dolphins' new offense. Moreover, new Miami QB Trent Green is used to throwing to a tight end after playing with Tony Gonzalez in Kansas City. It would not be a surprise to see Martin double his career high next season.

mraynrand
06-15-2007, 12:27 PM
I agree that this blurb is away over the top (inferring similarities to Gates and Gonzales is laughable), but the reality is that Martin was one of the key threats for the Packers last year. When he was hurt (again) following the Metrodome game (to be fair, Tauscher was hurt and Favre was dinged as well), the offense absolutely tanked. Martin (IF HE STAYS HEALTHY - a huge IF) can be a solid receiving threat at TE.

BallHawk
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Umm....I really don't know how to respond to that quip. David Martin? Comparing him to Antonio Gates? Even the craziest of the Kool-Aid drinkers never thought that much of him.

MadtownPacker
06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Great article!!

To print out and use for toilet paper. What more do you expect from SI.com.

Partial
06-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I saw that yesterday and thought it was ridiculous. I normally love CNNSI.com, but that article was ridiculous.

Fritz
06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
The implication SEEMS to be that Martin will be having a breakout year in Miami because he wasn't used correctly before...others have correctl;y noted he was used often in GB - he just couldn't manage to stay healthy.

Sure, he'll have a great year if he stays healthy. And I'll be rich if I win the lottery.

Partial
06-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I like DL's chance of stepping up big better than Martin's. At least Lee will be on the field. He may not be catching much, but at least he'll be out there!!

Iron Mike
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Great article!!

http://www.mavericktimes.com/triumph.jpg

For Me To Poop On!!!!!!!!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Martin didn't have that breakout year. I'll stop. I found this while trying to find out how much Martin signed for last year.

gbpackfan
02-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Great article!!

http://www.mavericktimes.com/triumph.jpg

For Me To Poop On!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA. That just made me laugh out loud.