PDA

View Full Version : New Or Used?

Partial
06-15-2007, 11:38 PM
When you guys need to replace something around the house, do you ever look at used stuff or do you always head straight for the new stuff at the store?

I ask this because I was looking at Craigslist for riding lawnmowers and I see you can get some that are only 3-4 years old for like 65-75% off what new ones retail for.

Any of you guys ever go for the previously used stuff?

Bretsky
06-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I think it's wise to go used for most products that depreciate in value. If you have any confidence that the product works or the ability to do some of the simple fix ups IMO it's best to go for the cost effective used versions.

I'm a handyman dummy so I sometimes get the new, but prefer the used every time.

Partial
06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I think it's wise to go used for most products that depreciate in value. If you have any confidence that the product works or the ability to do some of the simple fix ups IMO it's best to go for the cost effective used versions.

I'm a handyman dummy so I sometimes get the new, but prefer the used every time.

you would love www.craiglist.com. Make sure you set it to madison or milwaukee, though. It defaults to california.

mraynrand
06-16-2007, 03:52 AM

I always look for a good deal on used stuff - except condoms.

Fosco33
06-16-2007, 09:58 AM

you would love www.craiglist.com. Make sure you set it to madison or milwaukee, though. It defaults to california.

CL is pretty cool. I had an office 5 years ago that was shared with the initial branch in San Fran. Bastards flooded our office twice with overflowing toilets -- never forgave them for that. :lol:

Freak Out
06-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I have sold loads of stuff on Craigslist, and bought a few items as well. I bought a summer commuter bicycle off of craigslist last year for peanuts when a new bike (granted with better components) was going for $900.

MadtownPacker
06-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Partial this is your best thread ever cuz www.craigslist.org is the bomb fool! You can find everything and sell anything on there. Now that they have added more cities people are really picking up on it. Like you said, it defaults to the SF page but just find you state and closes city and you will be on there a while.

I intend to look for game tickets for the bears game on there. I have bought @49ers tickets on there and never had a problem. Once I even bought 2 whole 49ers season ticket so I could get the Pack game. I ended up selling all the other games and profited enough to get my two tix (30yd line 10 rows pack on the Pack sideline) for $10 each.

Craigslist is like one bigass swapmeet. Just gotta make sure to do everything local so you dont get ripped off.

Joemailman
06-17-2007, 02:33 PM

I always look for a good deal on used stuff - except condoms.

You conservative rats just don't believe in recycling, do you? :P