PDA

View Full Version : OT : reggie nelson, William Whitticker

packers11
06-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Reggie Nelson-DB-Jaguars Jun. 17 - 11:20 am et

Rookie free safety Reggie Nelson has "already won a starting job" in Jacksonville's defense.

:No surprise here, as the Jaguars won't make Nelson "earn" the job in minicamp after an impressive minicamp season. He will be playing next to Gerald Sensabaugh, another first-time starter.

William Whitticker-G-Redskins Jun. 17 - 10:44 am et

G Will Whitticker is competing for a starting job in Washington.

:The former Packer would be quite a value find as a free for Washington if he keeps it up. That's a nice change for them in free agency.

OT NEWS related to the packers :

It will be interesting to see how Nelsons pans out because so many packer fans wanted him... It also was a big need (Safety)... Also on Will Whitticker, after the 2005 season, I just don't see how he could be near a starting spot...

Brandon494
06-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Improving the defensive line was a bigger need than safety if you ask me.

The Leaper
06-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Improving the defensive line was a bigger need than safety if you ask me.

That is a rather far fetched statement IMO. We do not have any player at safety who has proven themselves as a consistent starter in the NFL. Meanwhile, we have several players on the DL who were already proven. While I don't mind the Harrell pick, I can't see how you can possibly justify the claim that the DL was a bigger need than safety.

I am one of the people who really wanted to get Nelson. I'll be watching his career closely...and expect he will become a very good player in Jacksonville.

Charles Woodson
06-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I am one of the people who really wanted to get Nelson. I'll be watching his career closely...and expect he will become a very good player in Jacksonville.

I was too, i belived that nelson could have helped our defense alot.

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 05:10 PM

I was too, i belived that nelson could have helped our defense alot.

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

BallHawk
06-18-2007, 09:02 PM
I think having Collins and Nelson at the safety slots would make the dumbest tandem in the NFL. Good luck trying to have an intellectual conversation with those two guys. :wink: :lol:

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I think having Collins and Nelson at the safety slots would make the dumbest tandem in the NFL. Good luck trying to have an intellectual conversation with those two guys. :wink: :lol:

It'd be easier to cypher information out of them than your fearless leader :wink:

woodbuck27
06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/16/AR2007061601003.html

Redskins Notebook

Unheralded Whitticker Draws Raves

By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, June 17, 2007; Page E07

Guard Will Whitticker did not play a game in the NFL last season, but he could end up playing a significant role for the Washington Redskins by season's end.

Whitticker, a free agent whose signing passed with little notice, has been a revelation this offseason and has been starting at right guard in this weekend's minicamp with stalwart Randy Thomas recovering from last week's minor knee surgery.

Much attention has focused on lineman Todd Wade, who has shifted from tackle to left guard to try to replace departed starter Derrick Dockery. But there are no assurances that Wade will indeed secure a permanent hold on the left guard spot, and Whitticker could push for a starting spot himself should his progress continue. Joe Bugel, assistant head coach-offense and offensive line coach, is raving about Whitticker.

"I don't like this kid; I love him," Bugel said.

"A 350-pound guard who can play both right and left. We worked him out midseason last year and liked him. As soon as the season ended, we couldn't wait to sign him. He's a real solid football player and a real good kid. When we had a chance to get him there was no hesitation on my part at all. He belongs here."

Whitticker, 24, who has been highly active in charitable affairs, was a seventh-round pick from Michigan State in 2005 and started 14 games for Green Bay.

But he suffered a hamstring injury in training camp and was released, spent a month with Miami before being waived in October and signed with Washington in January.

"It'd be good to find a home here," Whitticker said. "I am hoping to start, and I feel like I can play any position on the offensive line, wherever Coach needs me."

KYPack
06-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Whitticker was terrible last year, but I always figured he might stick someplace eventually. The guy needs time to learn how to use his hands & develop a pro body. I'll never forget Orpheus Roy beating the cowboy shit out of him when we played the Browns that year. He needs to lose the baby fat & add muscle. if he can develop his body and learn how to handfight, he's got the feet to keep a job for a few years.

I could see him being a decent back-up and both guard and tackle when he figures out what's going on.