PDA

View Full Version : Packers Draft Analysis

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2006, 11:55 PM
LB A.J. Hawk

Not much to be said here. They couldn't go wrong here, but I loved the pick.

OG/OT Daryn Colledge

He ranked #5 on my OT rankings, and #3 on my OG rankings. He was the consensus #5 OT on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him projected as mid-2nd round value--which is where he went. Great fit for the scheme. I expect him to start as a rookie. Solid pick.

WR Greg Jennings

Late riser. He ranked #7 on my WR rankings. He was the consensus #5 WR on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him projected as a late-2nd round value--which is where he went. I little small, but just a good receiver. Solid pick--although I'd like to see them target somebody like Demetrius Williams early in round 4.

LB Abdul Hodge

He ranked #2 on my ILB rankings. He was the consensus #2 ILB on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him projected as a mid-2nd round value. The Packers got him early in the 3rd round. Great pick.

OG/OC Jason Spitz

He ranked #7 on my OG rankings. He was the consensus #7 OG on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him projected as an early-4th round value. The Packers drafted him in the mid-3rd round range. Scouts were hot and cold on this pick. Some had him going early 3rd round--while others had him going as late as the 6th round. I'm not sold on this pick.

Other notes: The Packers traded Javon Walker, but were able to turn their 7 picks into 11 picks--which I love.

It's too early to judge, but my initial feeling is I'm going to like this draft.

Picks remaining:

4 - 7(104)
4 - 12(109)
5 - 15(148)
5 - 33(165)
6 - 14(183)
7 - 45(253)

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 12:15 AM
VIKINGS

LB Chad Greenway

He ranked #3 on my OLB rankings. He was the consensus #3 OLB on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him as mid-1st round value--which is where he went. I compare him to Dan Morgan. I liked the pick.

CB/S Cedric Griffin

He ranked #8 on my CB rankings. He was the consensus #8 CB on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him as late-2nd round value. He went in the middle of the 2nd round. Decent pick, but I liked Youbouty and Marshall more.

OC/OT Ryan Cook

He ranked #5 on my OC rankings. He was the consensus #4 OC on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him as mid-5th round value. He went in the middle of the 2nd round. Mock drafts had him going from the 3rd to 6th round. Major reach, IMHO.

QB Tarvaris Jackson

He ranked #8 on my QB rankings. He was the consensus #10 QB on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him rated as highly as any board, and I still only rated him as early-4th round value. Mock drafts had him going from the 4th round to the 7th round. He went late-2nd round. His potential is intriguing, but I felt this was a reach also.

Not only did the Vikings trade both of their 3rd round picks, they ended up trading to reach on a player.

You never know, but I didn't like their first day.

Picks remaining:

4 - 18(115)
5 - 17(149)
6 - 16(185)

Rastak
04-30-2006, 06:51 AM
VIKINGS

LB Chad Greenway

He ranked #3 on my OLB rankings. He was the consensus #3 OLB on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him as mid-1st round value--which is where he went. I compare him to Dan Morgan. I liked the pick.

CB/S Cedric Griffin

He ranked #8 on my CB rankings. He was the consensus #8 CB on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him as late-2nd round value. He went in the middle of the 2nd round. Decent pick, but I liked Youbouty and Marshall more.

OC/OT Ryan Cook

He ranked #5 on my OC rankings. He was the consensus #4 OC on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him as mid-5th round value. He went in the middle of the 2nd round. Mock drafts had him going from the 3rd to 6th round. Major reach, IMHO.

QB Tarvaris Jackson

He ranked #8 on my QB rankings. He was the consensus #10 QB on the trustworthy boards I referenced. I had him rated as highly as any board, and I still only rated him as early-4th round value. Mock drafts had him going from the 4th round to the 7th round. He went late-2nd round. His potential is intriguing, but I felt this was a reach also.

Not only did the Vikings trade both of their 3rd round picks, they ended up trading to reach on a player.

You never know, but I didn't like their first day.

Picks remaining:

4 - 18(115)
5 - 17(149)
6 - 16(185)

Greenway and Griffin were solid picks...what the hell were they thinking with Cook? Aye yi yi.

Jackson is a real unknown to me. At first blush it seems alot like Collins with the Packers last year.....why not sit tight and let the guy fall to your pick in round 3? I read that quite a few scouts were at his pro day and I guess they felt someone might grab him. Studwell's had his eye on him since fall according to something I read on the net. Either way, I'm happy with the first two picks but not overly excited overall. I though Green Bay had a pretty good first day. I like Hodge but not sure where they'll play him with Barnett seemingly entrenched. Good pick nonetheless.

Edit: Michael Smith of ESPN seems to like the Vikes draft:

6. Minnesota: Remember this name: Mike Tomlin. The first-year defensive coordinator and former Tampa Bay defensive backs coach is on the fast track to becoming a head coach. Maybe after this year, because the Vikings have done a lot to improve the defense. One head coach told me he thought Iowa's Chad Greenway, Minnesota's first-round pick, was maybe the best coverage linebacker to come out of college in the past five years. And in Round 2 the Vikings pick up versatile Texas cornerback Cedric Griffin, a perfect fit in Tomlin's Tampa 2 scheme.

Fritz
04-30-2006, 07:36 AM
I like this draft, very much. Just compare this, TT's second draft, to the drafts we sat through under Mike Sherman. He constantly moved up to reach for players who most of the time did not turn out - at all (Yes, Javon Walker worked, but how about the # of picks given up for guys like Donnell Washington, Joey Thomas, Kenny Peterson, and the infamous BJ Sander?).

I cringed watching Sherman draft. Now, I feel as if we have a GM who understands the draft and how to use it to maximum advantage.

I also have a problem with John Clayton and those like him who argue that the Packers did not get Brett Favre enough immediate help. Outside of Reggie Bush, who was available who was going to help Favre immediately? And don't tell me Vernon Davis. Yes, he may well be spectacular, but he will take time to develop. And I laugh to think that anyone believes that Chad Jackson is an immediate help.

Of course, the truth is it's too early to really know (let's evaluate the draft from three years ago; we can make some determinations about that). However, on the surface it seems to me that TT is having an excellent, excellent draft. And to top it off, he's loaded up for the second day. In a draft that many "experts" have argued is deep, well into the fourth round, TT has two fourth round picks, two fifths, a sixth and a seventh.

I'm excited about the future of this team.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 09:09 AM
I like this draft, very much. Just compare this, TT's second draft, to the drafts we sat through under Mike Sherman. He constantly moved up to reach for players who most of the time did not turn out - at all (Yes, Javon Walker worked, but how about the # of picks given up for guys like Donnell Washington, Joey Thomas, Kenny Peterson, and the infamous BJ Sander?).

I cringed watching Sherman draft. Now, I feel as if we have a GM who understands the draft and how to use it to maximum advantage.

I also have a problem with John Clayton and those like him who argue that the Packers did not get Brett Favre enough immediate help. Outside of Reggie Bush, who was available who was going to help Favre immediately? And don't tell me Vernon Davis. Yes, he may well be spectacular, but he will take time to develop. And I laugh to think that anyone believes that Chad Jackson is an immediate help.

Of course, the truth is it's too early to really know (let's evaluate the draft from three years ago; we can make some determinations about that). However, on the surface it seems to me that TT is having an excellent, excellent draft. And to top it off, he's loaded up for the second day. In a draft that many "experts" have argued is deep, well into the fourth round, TT has two fourth round picks, two fifths, a sixth and a seventh.

AGREE Fritz, it's a heck of a lot more peaceful knowing we have TT instead of Sherman. But with the level of GB's #2 WR's, I'm in the camp that would have liked to see Chad Jackson in Green Bay. Time will tell.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 10:21 AM
The one move I didn't like in retrospect was the move that netted them Jennings and Spitz--when they could have had Jackson. I don't mind the value they got (they obviously thought there wasn't much difference between Jackson and Jennings), but Jennings is a lot small for what they want. I wish they had drafted Jackson there or Derek Hagan or Maurice Stovall when they took Jennings.

KYPack
04-30-2006, 11:26 AM

AGREE Fritz, it's a heck of a lot more peaceful knowing we have TT instead of Sherman. But with the level of GB's #2 WR's, I'm in the camp that would have liked to see Chad Jackson in Green Bay. Time will tell.

Chad Jackson could be this year's Odell Thurman. I flat out loved that kid. Great speed, burst, unusual talent. We had him, all we had to do is forego the trade down.

Sherman was a sick trade-up guy,

Does TT tade 'em down too much?

Time will tell.

Homer Jay
04-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Chad Jackson could also be this years JJ Stokes.