PDA

View Full Version : WOW-4Yr Old Boy Dies at WI Dells - Sad Story

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Lifeguard was told twice not to enter pool, police say
KAROLYN MAURER
Baraboo News Republic

A supervisor at the Wilderness Resort in Lake Delton twice told a lifeguard not to enter a pool to help what turned out to be a drowning child, according to a police report released Thursday.

Tyler Houtakker, 4, of Asbury, Iowa, drowned June 8 at around 8 p.m. in an indoor pool at the resort in Wisconsin Dells.

Lake Delton Police Chief Tom Dorner said he doesn't expect charges to be filed against the resort.

"We're not suspecting any foul play or anything. It was obviously an accident," Dorner said.

Joe Eck, a spokesman for the Wilderness Resort, said four lifeguards were on duty at the time.

Eck said the resort's lifeguards enter the water daily for saves or attempted saves. "It's a subjective call on the lifeguard's part, but we'd rather be proactive," he said.

However, one lifeguard on duty Friday who saw the boy face-down in the pool asked a nearby supervisor twice if she should enter the pool to retrieve the child. The supervisor told the lifeguard to have someone who was swimming nearby check on the child, according to the police report. The lifeguard supervisor told police that "guests get angry when lifeguards enter the pool for non-emergency situations." The supervisor told police he initially thought the child was playing, according to the report.

The child was unresponsive, so the manager told the lifeguard to have the patron bring the boy to the side of the pool, the police report said.

"We feel on our part our guards did the best they could with the situation," Eck said.

Lifeguards attempted to resuscitate the boy when he was pulled from the pool. Ambulance personnel arrived shortly after and took over efforts to revive him. The boy was taken to St. Clare Hospital in Baraboo where he was pronounced dead, Dorner said Monday.

Tony Hozeny, the director of communications for the state Department of Commerce, said his department is conducting a tag-team investigation into the drowning with the state Department of Health and Family Services.

Hozeny said his department is making sure the water park meets state safety regulations.

Stephanie Marquis, communications director for the state Department of Health and Family Services, said her department also continues to investigate the drowning. "Although the investigation is not complete, initial findings indicate that the number of lifeguards at the pool met or exceeded the necessary requirements," she said Thursday.

According to the National Safety Council, 3,000 people drown every year. Children 4 years old and younger are most likely to drown. Most drownings occur in a bathtub or when a child falls into a pool.

The boy's parents, Tammy and Brian Houtakker, who were at the park with their son last week, chose not to comment.

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I guess I don't understand the angle about the supervisor. If the supervisor told the lifeguard to have somebody closer to the child see if the child was okay, wouldn't that be faster anyways? It just seems like there's always got to be somebody to blame for any incident. It's tough though. I feel bad for the parents of the child.

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure this was a wave pool. Those are very dangerous. Kid was a four year old. An unsupervised one.

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I guess I don't understand the angle about the supervisor. If the supervisor told the lifeguard to have somebody closer to the child see if the child was okay, wouldn't that be faster anyways? It just seems like there's always got to be somebody to blame for any incident. It's tough though. I feel bad for the parents of the child.

Well, if they asked the supervisor twice the implication is that the LG had concerns and they appeared more interested in not bothering most of the customers than dealing with a potentially dangerous issue. If the LG had acted immediately, maybe..maybe...it'd saved the time to save the child's life.

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 09:42 PM
One other note; we were in the Dells that weekend and heard about this. I do believe this was a wave pool; heard this on radio as well.

If the life guard enters the pool for something like this, they shut off the waves...inconvenience the customers. I see from the article it doesn't hit on that.

Regardless, a sad story and something the parents will unfortunately have to live with forever.

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Well, if they asked the supervisor twice the implication is that the LG had concerns and they appeared more interested in not bothering most of the customers than dealing with a potentially dangerous issue. If the LG had acted immediately, maybe..maybe...it'd saved the time to save the child's life.

Sounds easy to say, but who knows how panicked the lifeguard sounded and how often he/she and other lifeguards ask the supervisor to check. If the lifeguard thought the kid was drowning, you'd think they wouldn't need to ask their supervisor. I don't know. Tough situation. It's easy to say something like when you weren't there. Maybe they should have more than one person that gives the lifeguards the okay to go check on people. Who knows at this point. Maybe the lifeguard is saying that to protect themselves.

Bretsky
06-18-2007, 09:57 PM

Sounds easy to say, but who knows how panicked the lifeguard sounded and how often he/she and other lifeguards ask the supervisor to check. If the lifeguard thought the kid was drowning, you'd think they wouldn't need to ask their supervisor. I don't know. Tough situation. It's easy to say something like when you weren't there. Maybe they should have more than one person that gives the lifeguards the okay to go check on people. Who knows at this point. Maybe the lifeguard is saying that to protect themselves.

Very true; ultimately it's the parents responsibility to make sure your child is safe.

GBRulz
06-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Two things that bother me about this. What is the big deal about 1 of the 4 lifeguards to enter the pool to check on someone's well being? I guess I don't understand the supervisors point on not letting him enter the pool. Secondly, the kid was 4 years old - where were the parents? Probably figuring that since lifeguards were watching, they could be a little less lax in keeping an eye on their child.

It is very sad, no less.

MadtownPacker
06-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Wow, one thing for a kid to drown in some river or lake but right there in front 4 lifeguards is jacked up.

MJZiggy
06-19-2007, 08:46 AM
When my kid was 4, he was NEVER out of arms reach from me in the water. If I wasn't going in the water, neither was he. But what others have said is right. I don't care what an inconvenience it might be to have a lifeguard get in the water. That is what they're there for. That's their job. Get the kid out first and ask questions about it later.

LL2
06-19-2007, 08:47 AM
I agree where were the parents? At the same time isn't better to be safe than sorry? You check to see if the kid is ok, if he is then go back to the life guard chair, if not save the kids life. Don't stand around asking "should I, or shouldn't I"!

packinpatland
06-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Years ago one of my daughters was a life guard at a community pool. Even then the rule was, when the guard jumped in, everybody out. They didn't want anyone in the way of a rescue, or do-gooders trying to help.
This case on the other hand, seems to be fueled by $$'s and keeping the crowds happy. Very sad.

Bretsky
06-19-2007, 05:35 PM
You guys are missing the point with the life guards.

This was a high wave indoor pool. When the LG leaves the chair to enter the pool the waves are turned off. That inconveniences the majority of the customers. Probably poolside business mentality is not to do this if at all possible. People get irked if it was not the real deal..aka...false alarm.

That being said, I say phooeeyy. Error on the side of caution and these guys clearly did not do that. That was error #2. Error #1 was parents of a four year old letting their kid enter a dangersous area w/o their direct supervision. A four year old.