PDA

View Full Version : Burning Questions

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Packers burning question: Is it time for Favre to retire?
By Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News
June 18, 2007

Let's get the dangling suspense out of the way by answering the question first: Absolutely not. If Brett Favre having fun playing the game and still can chuck the football downfield with ease, he has a right to, and should, keep playing.

The common question asked by those questioning Favre: But what's there to play for? He's already in the exclusive 400-TD club, has a Super Bowl ring and has a special place among all the greats to ever play for Green Bay.

The answer is more complicated. Favre may no longer be able to carry the Packers with his rifling right arm alone, but he can play a big part in helping a young team rise to contention with his head and heart.

The Packers need Favre the leader more than ever. Aaron Rodgers, their first-round pick from 2005, is in no position to take over at quarterback. While Favre continues to be the NFL's ultimate iron man, Rodgers broke his foot last season in only his fifth career appearance.

Favre himself had some offseason ankle surgery but nothing that won't keep him from building on his regular-season consecutive games played streak of 237. The bigger offseason issues were his urging of the team to acquire wide receiver Randy Moss and then dispelling rumors of his own desire for a trade out of Green Bay.

Now that all of that is in the rearview mirror, and Favre is firmly planted for his 17th NFL season, the focus is on the future. More specifically, it's a bright near future with general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy guiding the operation.

Last season Favre had to deal with younger offensive linemen in front of him and no proven wide receivers other than Donald Driver. This year, with his longtime backfield mate Ahman Green now a Texan, the new combination of rookie Brandon Jackson and Vernand Morency, acquired from the Texans early last season, puts a different spin on the running game.

Last season, Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz came through at guard in the team's new zone-blocking scheme, and rookie Greg Jennings showed real promise as a big-play wideout. This season, Jackson and Morency are set to be a productive, versatile combination.

And there's the defense, which will continue to improve with young stars such as Cullen Jenkins, Aaron Kampman and A.J. Hawk, who has shown the playmaking flair to creep toward Favre's level of Packer Nation adoration.

Favre doesn't need to put up MVP stats for the Packers to get to the playoffs. He has underrated players all around him, and he can help them all come together by being an efficient passer and leader.

The running game and overall defense are set to reemerge as strengths for the Packers. Favre can play off that, using high-percentage passes in a balanced offense to move the ball and his fiery savvy to motivate some of his much younger teammates.

The NFC North is there for the taking, as the Bears are having some issues. And the Packers can build on the confidence generated by winning at Chicago last New Year's Eve to finish with a surprising 8-8 record. And really, for the Packers to take advantage, they need the quarterback who can win now, and that's Favre. They need him in the short term as much as he has loved playing for them over the long term.

There has been rebuilding all around Favre the past few seasons, making many think he won't have another shot at the playoffs. But he's in a good position to prove them wrong. And besides, the playoffs always are more fun when No. 4 still is around.

packrulz
06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
As Mora would say: Playoffs? Playoffs? It's refreshing to hear a national writer talking Packer playoffs.

Packnut
06-19-2007, 02:06 PM
As Mora would say: Playoffs? Playoffs? It's refreshing to hear a national writer talking Packer playoffs.

Yep, pretty positive spin. I read a few of the early magazines out on the stands and they were not as positive. A lot of things have to go right, but hell, anything is possible. I can see us going 10-6 or 9-7 just as easily as 6-10 or 5-11.

woodbuck27
06-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I believe that given all the records that he'll set, he's most proud of the extended consecutive game streak.

If he gets another full season he needs a little better than another full season to set the all time record as I re-call it; but ya'll can check that.

I believe that he has to be content to help the younger players develop and take it as it comes on the positive side.

Week in and out that is the most realistic stance he should accept.If that isn't good enough then he'll retire soon.

I will enjoy seeing him in every game that he lasts through as a Packer.

I really feel that. . .his time is soon over.

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
I think you'll see a little buzz for the Packers as a sleeper team. When a young team wins at the end of the previous year to finish around 8-8, generally there's a sleeper buzz that gets generated the following year.

packinpatland
06-19-2007, 02:32 PM
This article is like a breath of fresh air. Something that is not full of doom and gloom.
Thanks for posting it. Now I can go out and mow my lawn with a 'peaceful easy feeling'...............be glad we don't have audio here. :wink:

MJZiggy
06-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Shall I bump the Jukebox in the Romper Room for you?

packinpatland
06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Shall I bump the Jukebox in the Romper Room for you?

Had my headset on, but thanks anyway! :whist:

oregonpackfan
06-19-2007, 05:34 PM
This article is like a breath of fresh air. Something that is not full of doom and gloom.
Thanks for posting it. Now I can go out and mow my lawn with a 'peaceful easy feeling'...............be glad we don't have audio here. :wink:

PIPL,

If you need to increase your 'peaceful easy feeling' I have a lawn out here you can mow! While you're at it, you can trim the hedges, week the flower beds... :)

packinpatland
06-19-2007, 06:03 PM

PIPL,

If you need to increase your 'peaceful easy feeling' I have a lawn out here you can mow! While you're at it, you can trim the hedges, week the flower beds... :)

One+ acre of lawn, and a boat-load of privet hedges, and all the weeds in between................done.
How much you paying????

oregonpackfan
06-19-2007, 09:24 PM

PIPL,

One+ acre of lawn, and a boat-load of privet hedges, and all the weeds in between................done.
How much you paying????

Before I pay you top dollar, PIPL, I want verification of a valid SS# and proof of American citizenship! I don't want to be known as an employer of illegal aliens! :lol:

packinpatland
06-19-2007, 09:27 PM

PIPL,

How much you paying????

I'm not a member of the DAR, but I have been here awhile.

Before I pay you top dollar, PIPL, I want verification of a valid SS# and proof of American citizenship! I don't want to be known as an employer of illegal aliens! :lol:

wist43
06-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Optimistic... don't know how realistic.

I could see them making a push to sneek into the playoffs, but only b/c the NFC is very weak, and the NFC North is pathetic.

Records and playoff spots are relative... in the AFC, the Packers would be a laughing stock; in the NFC, they have a chance.

The Leaper
06-20-2007, 08:31 AM
I believe that given all the records that he'll set, he's most proud of the extended consecutive game streak.

I don't know...Manning could very well challenge that mark or at least get close enough to show that Favre's streak isn't other-worldly.

I think the record number of wins would be more satisfying...and potentially the fact that he's only had ONE losing season as a starter. That is something that very few QBs of his tenure (12+ years) can hang their hat on. 3 consecutive MVPs isn't exactly something to laugh at either.

I don't think Favre has to retire until he feels he is no longer capable of being effective. At this point, he remains one of the top 10 QBs in the NFL in my book...so he certainly can be viewed as still being effective.

Fritz
06-20-2007, 08:59 AM
I think you'll see a little buzz for the Packers as a sleeper team. When a young team wins at the end of the previous year to finish around 8-8, generally there's a sleeper buzz that gets generated the following year.

Let me do my ususal grousing here: You'll see the Lions get national attention - as usual - as this year's "sleeper" team. Happens every year. And every year they suck. Packers will by-and-large get slammed.

The only oddity I see so far is that usually the Queens get picked too as a possible contender, then after their usual 3-0 start, they fade. I haven't seen the "experts" say much about the Queens so far.

Rastak
06-20-2007, 09:05 AM

Let me do my ususal grousing here: You'll see the Lions get national attention - as usual - as this year's "sleeper" team. Happens every year. And every year they suck. Packers will by-and-large get slammed.

The only oddity I see so far is that usually the Queens get picked too as a possible contender, then after their usual 3-0 start, they fade. I haven't seen the "experts" say much about the Queens so far.

Which I hope means they surprise folks this year instead of disapoint them.

Actually, the NFC North is really a crapshoot this year. The Lions really do have a decent shot of doing something if they can get a little QB play. Same with the Vikings. The Packers finished strong and have a young team that could improve this year. The Bears are very talented but have definate holes....I wouldn't presume to predict the order of finish at this point.

wist43
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Four "so what" teams... somebody's got to win it.

Packnut
06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Four "so what" teams... somebody's got to win it.

Winner by default! :lol:

packinpatland
06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Oh, I've got a good feeling we'll 'take' it, and it won't be by default either. :wink:

Deputy Nutz
06-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Favre is still a good to great QB, but this team's chance at the playoffs rest with the defense. especially the secondary. If Harris and Woodson can forget their age for the season and play solid football this team should make a serious run at the NFC North Championship. Favre can't throw the ball 40 times a game and get into a shootout, that is not a style that will football games for this team this year.