PDA

View Full Version : Burning Questions - Vikings

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Not sure why it double-posted, but here's the Vikings article by Iyer.

Vikings burning question: Is Jackson ready for action?
By Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News
June 19, 2007

Of all the quarterback situations throughout the NFL, Minnesota's is the most mysterious. The Vikings have been facing the heat for going into the season with second-year small-school product Tarvaris Jackson as the projected starter and fourth-year North Dakotan Brooks Bollinger as his only real competition. The mystery is whether Jackson's arm and athleticism can eventually translate into solid QB play.

Sure, the Vikings could have brought back 39-year-old Brad Johnson or looked to upgrade with 37-year-old Jeff Garcia, but what good would either move have done? Considering other issues have been hurting the passing game and the pressure and secondary concerns hurt the pass defense, a well-seasoned QB would be just a stopgap solution for an otherwise young team.

There is unrealistic pressure to win now in the NFL, and if the results don't come soon, impatient owners seem too willing to blow everything up and start over with a different management structure. But Brad Childress needs time with the Vikings to make them more of a consistent contender instead of a potential one-year playoff wonder.

Jackson and running back Adrian Peterson, the Vikings' first-round pick in 2007, have the potential to grow into an exciting playmaking combination. If Childress is confident they are part of an extensive, successful future, then it's smart to see what they can do in the present.

The Vikings still are a couple of seasons away from contention. Their dominant run defense -- it was No. 1 in the league last season, allowing only 2.8 yards per carry and fewer than 62 yards per game -- is a good foundation to have in place. But teams exploited their weak pass defense for 3,818 yards, tied with Cincinnati for worst in the league. The pass rush also needs big help, as the Vikings had only 30 sacks to their credit last season.

Back to the offense. The likes of Troy Williamson, Bobby Wade and Billy McMullen don't inspire much confidence at wide receiver. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie, left guard Steve Hutchinson and the other big bodies on the Vikings' line need to make their pass protection match their run blocking.

With so many questions about his supporting cast, Jackson will have a roller-coaster beginning to what he and the team hopes is a long, productive career. He will make some dazzling plays that will make jaws drop; he will also force some plays, throw the ball where he shouldn't and pay for it.

There's no need to put undue pressure on Jackson to deliver. The 1-2 punch in the backfield with Peterson and Chester Taylor will be the offensive focus, giving Jackson strong support as he learns the nuances of the NFL's toughest job.

In addition to clicking with Peterson, Jackson also will need to get a feel for his receivers. Williamson is simply trying to get better at holding on to the ball. McMullen (6-4, 215), whom Childress coached in Philadelphia, and former Giants tight end Vishante Shiancoe are Jackson's best red zone/possession bets. The real wildcard is Wade, a sneaky big-play threat trying to make the best of his third chance. And don't forget Sidney Rice, a rookie to watch.

Everything's not on Jackson this year. He'll have an opportunity to mature with the benefit of a strong running game, good offensive and solid receivers and should show lot more poise and polish in 2008.

I'm excited to see what Jackson can do, and Vikings fans should be, too. After the Daunte Culpepper mess, Minnesota deserves someone fun to watch at quarterback.

But as we know, fans are often more impatient than owners. Jackson won't automatically become the Donovan McNabb to Childress' Andy Reid. The young quarterback is just another integral block of a rebuilding team.

If all goes well, Jackson may lead a strong playoff charge as early as '09. For that to happen, he needs to be turned loose and learn much on the job in '07.

Packnut
06-19-2007, 02:08 PM
This guy is not gonna be the answer in Queen land. Vikes blew it big time by not going after one Mr Green...........(Thank God).

packrulz
06-19-2007, 04:03 PM
If Jackson gets hurt or isn't the answer the viqueens got Brooks Bollinger and Drew Henson backing up at QB. Lol.

Rastak
06-19-2007, 05:56 PM
If Jackson gets hurt or isn't the answer the viqueens got Brooks Bollinger and Drew Henson backing up at QB. Lol.

The fudgies got Rodgers.....that may be no better. I doubt Henson makes the team. They like Thigpen as a developmental #3 guy much like Martin for you guys.

Charles Woodson
06-19-2007, 08:22 PM

The fudgies got Rodgers.....that may be no better. I doubt Henson makes the team. They like Thigpen as a developmental #3 guy much like Martin for you guys.

yea but we have a starting caliber QB. Which is more than you can say... :knll:

Guiness
06-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Is that the same Henson Miami gave up a 2nd for a couple of years ago? MLB 3rd baseman for a while, right?

:?:

RashanGary
06-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Rodgers has done a pretty good job when given oppertunities as of late Ras. . . .

I'd say ours is a coin flip or maybe a little better. Yours is a prayer.

RashanGary
06-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry Ras, I hate the Vikes. . . .

I had to jump in :)

Rastak
06-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Is that the same Henson Miami gave up a 2nd for a couple of years ago? MLB 3rd baseman for a while, right?

:?:

Somebody did......I'm surprised he's still around. He hasn't done a thing....

Merlin
06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Rodgers has done a pretty good job? I sure hope you aren't referring to our Aaron Rodgers. He has NEVER done a good job. In fact, he has shown nothing. At least Jackson has some moves and speed and can at least throw the ball 15 yards down field. I think Jackson > Rodgers and neither of them is worth anything but a 3rd string role.

packrulz
06-20-2007, 05:10 AM

Just curious, is Thigpen related to Yancy?

Rastak
06-20-2007, 05:24 AM

Pretty sure not......

Fritz
06-20-2007, 09:02 AM

Pretty sure not......

Thigpen? I didn't know he was a two-sport athlete. He hasn't had a good season as a closer for a couple of years. I'm surprised he's got enough left in the arm to start a new career as an NFL QB. Wow. Bobby Thigpen as the Queens' third string guy. How cool is that? Maybe the Pack should sign Dan Quisenberry.

Rastak
06-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Pretty sure not......

Thigpen? I didn't know he was a two-sport athlete. He hasn't had a good season as a closer for a couple of years. I'm surprised he's got enough left in the arm to start a new career as an NFL QB. Wow. Bobby Thigpen as the Queens' third string guy. How cool is that? Maybe the Pack should sign Dan Quisenberry.

Tyler Thigpen....he actually might pan out a few years down the road. Just like Martin, he's a good #3 guy. Didn't Quizz die of a brain tumor in the 80's?

Actually Bobby was pretty good.

wist43
06-20-2007, 10:02 AM
It was Yancy Thigpen who dropped the winning TD against the Pack... in what??? '94 or '95, for GB to win the division.

Didn't that knock the Vikes out??? Can't remember... gettin old.