PDA

View Full Version : Favre focuses on feet, not sore arm

woodbuck27
06-19-2007, 02:59 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070615/PKR01/706150611/1950

Comment woodbuck27:

I didn't see this article posted and if I've duplicated that I apoligize.

Here it is for what it's worth. I felt it had some good points.

Posted June 15, 2007

Favre focuses on feet, not sore arm

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

Brett Favre always has liked playing quarterback on the move and wants to do more of it this season than last year.

To that end, he's again working this offseason with Phoenix-based personal trainer Ken Kroener on a core- and quarterback-oriented conditioning program. He's also talked with coach Mike McCarthy about calling more movement plays for the Green Bay Packers this season.

"We didn't do enough of it, in my opinion, movement stuff, move me around," Favre said Thursday after the Packers' organized team activities practice.

"I think that's what I do best. Mike — we've talked about it numerous occasions, he's going to go to it, so I have to be ready for that. I get tired a lot quicker now than I used to. So, after a play, I have to be able to regroup and move on to the next play."

McCarthy said some unidentified concerns prevented him from putting Favre on the move more last year. McCarthy might have wanted to keep things as simple as possible for his three rookie offensive linemen who played regularly in 2006, and he also might have worried about Favre's mobility because of the sore left ankle he played on most of last season.

However, McCarthy appears inclined to use more of the movement-type plays this year even though the 37-year-old Favre is well past his prime as a runner.

"I think he's still a very effective player when he is on the move," McCarthy said Thursday.

"And frankly, the people that know him fairly well, the people who have competed against him from a defensive standpoint, a number of them play with a wider (defensive) end, rush the ends up the field, try to take that away from him."

Favre didn't practice Wednesday or Thursday this week because of soreness in his throwing shoulder, which he said probably is tendinitis. As McCarthy planned heading into the offseason, Favre was with the team for nine of the 12 voluntary OTAs — he participated in all meetings on those days and seven practices but missed the final two on-field workouts because of his shoulder.

"I found out with my elbow (in 2000) that tendinitis, several years back, I just kept on throwing and it almost cost me the opening-day start," Favre said.

"I'll probably take a week off and see how it feels and then start gradually throwing and get back into it."

Kroener is the same personal trainer former coach Mike Sherman arranged for him to work with in 2005 to improve his core conditioning. Kroener was in Mississippi earlier this spring to help Favre get into shape and rehabilitate his ankle after arthroscopic surgery, and beginning in late June or early July, he will put Favre through a more intensive regimen to get ready for training camp.

Favre said the workouts emphasize strengthening the core of his body and improving his short-area foot quickness for quarterback play. He wears a heart monitor that he can check on a wristwatch to know how hard he's working at any given moment.

The workouts last only about an hour, but he's constantly on the go because the drills mimic the demands of a football game, with short explosive bursts, then rest, as between plays. Favre said the average NFL play lasts 4 seconds, so his workout similarly has him going all-out in a drill for anywhere from 2 to 7 seconds, then resting about 30 seconds, then doing a drill for 2 to 7 seconds, and so on, non-stop for the hour.

The workout includes not only strengthening his midsection, but also movement work against resistance, with Favre dropping back or rolling out while tied to a bungee cord. The heart-rate monitor then tells him whether he's giving full effort — "the heart-rate monitor won't lie," he said — and also measures how quickly he recovers. Such specialized work is becoming more common for professional athletes.

"What you ask a shortstop to do training-wise you wouldn't ask a fullback to do," Favre said. "That's kind of what we're doing. We're doing stuff that's really good for my style of play, in-pocket stuff, making the first guy miss, trying to quicken my first step. Not trying to run a 40-yard dash any faster, but being able to move around and throw from awkward positions."

Favre said his post-surgical left ankle — he had bone spurs removed on Feb. 26 — was sore for a couple days last week but generally has not been a problem this offseason. Though his workouts in Mississippi in the spring were slightly scaled back because of his ankle, he weighed in for the OTAs at about 220 pounds, which has been his playing weight the last several years.

That's much lighter than early in his career. He revealed that in 1993 and '94, he played at around 245 pounds even though he was listed at 222 pounds, and even when the Packers won the Super Bowl in the '96 season, when he was 27, he was 236 pounds.

"Probably had a little different weight on me at the time," he joked.

packrulz
06-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I like the philosophy of his trainer, trying to prepare Brett for what he actually has to do on the field. Brett has a great pocket awareness, his mobility has been one of his greatest strengths, he's one of few QB's who aren't southpaw who can roll out to his left and complete the pass. If he can hack the roll outs I think it would help the offense immensely, as long as he isn't gasping for air in the 4th qtr. In training camp, Brett runs sprints and the whole works, that is tough for a guy his age, he's already a multimillionare and doesn't need the money, it's pretty amazing. Glad he's on our team.

woodbuck27
06-21-2007, 01:49 PM
I like the philosophy of his trainer, trying to prepare Brett for what he actually has to do on the field. Brett has a great pocket awareness, his mobility has been one of his greatest strengths, he's one of few QB's who aren't southpaw who can roll out to his left and complete the pass. If he can hack the roll outs I think it would help the offense immensely, as long as he isn't gasping for air in the 4th qtr. In training camp, Brett runs sprints and the whole works, that is tough for a guy his age, he's already a multimillionare and doesn't need the money, it's pretty amazing. Glad he's on our team.

I think you have to be a dedicated Packer fan (or watch Favre closely) to really appreciate just what Favre really is.

I just can't imagine how good he'd show up if he was surrounded with talent.

Now all we have is hope that the offensive schemes will allow for the talent we do have to prosper, and that Brett Favre will continue to work with MM and cultivate patience.

BEARMAN
06-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Placing all your eggs in farves old, warnout basket is a bad move. Ankles hurting, sholder hurting, No help from TT or MM, farve has a long hard row to hoe ! The pack did nothing to help themselves in off season, free agency or the draft... Nothing ! Where as Da BEARS have gone out signing D tackles.

RashanGary
06-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Placing all your eggs in farves old, warnout basket is a bad move. Ankles hurting, sholder hurting, No help from TT or MM, Favre has a long hard row to hoe ! The pack did nothing to help themselves in off season, free agency or the draft... Nothing !

Dude, the Bears are going to get lit this year. You missed your window and it's going to be right back to 15 more years of getting your asses kicked by the dominate Packers.

BEARMAN
06-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Wake up and smell the jock straps ! :shock:

You cheeseheads are going down ! :twisted:

RashanGary
06-23-2007, 06:02 AM
If smelling jock straps is a Bear fan's metaphor for "becoming alert to reality" then I just found yet another reason, other than 15 years of dominance, why I am glad to be a Packer fan.

It also explains alot about Bear fans in General and the look of pain/pleasure on Grossmans face while KGB mounted him.

chewy-bacca
06-23-2007, 06:32 PM
If smelling jock straps is a Bear fan's metaphor for "becoming alert to reality" then I just found yet another reason, other than 15 years of dominance, why I am glad to be a Packer fan.

:lol:

woodbuck27
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM

:lol:

I thought that was a rather polite response. :)

Packer FANS = CLASS !

Pacopete4
06-29-2007, 07:07 PM
inside source that I have said that Favre said that if their not going to be installing new offensive stuff than he wasnt showing.. mccarthy wasnt too happy but they made up the sore shoulder thing to have it not be a big deal that he wasnt there

MJZiggy
06-29-2007, 07:10 PM
But he was there. He just didn't practice.

woodbuck27
07-03-2007, 04:35 PM
inside source that I have said that Favre said that if their not going to be installing new offensive stuff than he wasnt showing.. mccarthy wasnt too happy but they made up the sore shoulder thing to have it not be a big deal that he wasnt there

I believe that Favre's shoulder was or is 'in fact' sore. I also believe that his pride was a tad nicked in this off season as well.

He did his part with the ankle surgery but Ted Thompson let him down again is my perception. That should also resemble Favre's. :)

He hadn't thrown since end of last season and didn't work with a special trainer but said he'll get in some throws at some youth football practices (his daughters team?) or somthing of that sort.

4and12to12and4
07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
He is exacting his offseason of two years ago, the core strengthening, and practicing with his daughters high school mates. I love that at the ripe old age of 38 he is still trying to improve his strength and conditioning. He is so commited to winning, and not showing his age, I think, if he stays away from injury as he does so well, he is a rare talent that could probably play for at least three more years. Brett Favre is the greatest, toughest QB in the history of the league. I would marry him.

woodbuck27
07-03-2007, 04:58 PM
He is exacting his offseason of two years ago, the core strengthening, and practicing with his daughters high school mates. I love that at the ripe old age of 38 he is still trying to improve his strength and conditioning. He is so commited to winning, and not showing his age, I think, if he stays away from injury as he does so well, he is a rare talent that could probably play for at least three more years. Brett Favre is the greatest, toughest QB in the history of the league. I would marry him.

ALL. . .but that marry him part. :) :)

He's got that wicked Bear hug thing going on. . .

BEARMAN
07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I believe that Favre's shoulder was or is 'in fact' sore. I also believe that his pride was a tad nicked in this off season as well.

He did his part with the ankle surgery but Ted Thompson let him down again is my perception. That should also resemble Favre's. :)

He hadn't thrown since end of last season and didn't work with a special trainer but said he'll get in some throws at some youth football practices (his daughters team?) or somthing of that sort.

It is called getting "OLD" ! :shock:

woodbuck27
07-06-2007, 01:08 PM

Brett Favre has proven over and over that he can bounce back fr. injury and get it on.

This season he told us that he hadn't been at all active in atempting to condition or get his arm ready since last time he whuuped your Bear ass's. :)

Brett Favre admits, that he is suffering (likely tendonitis) in his throwing arms (shoulder), and part of that has to be because of not throwing before the mini camps etc. this off season. He extended himself too soon.

It's now up to the HC to ensure that he bounces back and that he watchs the number of throws, so that activity will not hamper his recovery.

Brett Favre will get there.

The Leaper
07-06-2007, 01:45 PM

What's Grossman's excuse then?

Favre owns the Bears...just like he owns the Lions and the Vikings. Resistance is futile.

mngolf19
07-06-2007, 01:50 PM

What's Grossman's excuse then?

Favre owns the Bears...just like he owns the Lions and the Vikings. Resistance is futile.

Don't lump the Vikes in with the rest.