PDA

View Full Version : If you could go back in time.....

BallHawk
06-20-2007, 02:54 PM
If you could go back in time, to a specific event that you were not alive for, what would it be? Choose one sporting event and one other event.

Sporting Event: The USA victory over the USSR in 1980. I would of loved to experience that night.

NOTE: I was alive for the SB XXXI victory, but I wish I was old enough to understand what was going on,

Historical Event: The American Revolution. To be a part of something so monumental as that would of been surreal.

Merlin
06-20-2007, 03:25 PM
WWII~To be part of the greatest and last unselfish generation.

packinpatland
06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
The Gay 90's. For a short period of time there was no war, the economy was good, all was well......life was simple.

Joemailman
06-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Jessie Owens' gold medal performance in front of Hitler at the Olympic Games in Berlin.

Retrace my father's footsteps in Europe in WWII.

oregonpackfan
06-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I wish I could see the Milwaukee Braves beat the New York Yankees in the World Series of 1957. I was alive then but too young to understand or appreciate it. I just remember my Dad and his friends celebrating the victory.

Iron Mike
06-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I'd take State.
http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/uncle_rico2.jpg

woodbuck27
06-21-2007, 02:59 PM
I wish I could see the Milwaukee Braves beat the New York Yankees in the World Series of 1957. I was alive then but too young to understand or appreciate it. I just remember my Dad and his friends celebrating the victory.

I watched that series on TV. Then the re-match in 1958. One of my hero's growing up was Henry 'Hammerin Hank' Aaron. Actually my favourite PRO athlete was Hank Aaron. A really fine person as well.

That is really what drew me to be a Green Bay Packer fan.

Milwaukee almost = to Green Bay. :)

TravisWilliams23
06-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Historical event would be the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
If only this nation could get back to those original words, especially " That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

The sporting event I would like to have seen was Green Bays 1961 NFL championship game vs the Giants at Green Bay. It was Lombardi's 1st and the 1st one played in Green Bay. Plus playing it on New Year's Eve, I would have loved to been anywhere in town that night.

HarveyWallbangers
06-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Historical event:
Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address

Sporting event:
1a) 1961 or 1962 NFL Title Games
1b) Joe Louis over Max Schmeling in 1938
1c) Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics
1d) Jim Thorpe at the 1912 Olympics

Found this about Lombardi on wikipedia:

Lombardi understood the race prejudice that defined his times. The 1961 Packers featured eight Black players, a good ratio for those days when rosters only numbered 33 players. He had been mistaken for a Black man a few times. His Mediterranean complexion tanned even more during training camp, and once the Packers went out to dine while playing an exhibition game in North Carolina against Washington, and were denied tables when the restaurant manager assumed the coach to be "Negro".

Never heard that story before.

MJZiggy
06-21-2007, 09:40 PM
According to his biography,

"There is no documentation of the episode; decades later no one remaining from that team could remember precisely who was with him that night; and there are many apocrypha in the legend of St. Vincent of Green Bay--but this story nonetheless rings true. Lombardi told it to his family later, and to many of his players and there was no reason fo him to concoct it or exaggerate it. The black players often joked among themselves that by the end of summer camp their coach was a secret "brother." In any case, the all-for-one edict from Lombardi followed that trip to North Carolina When he took the Packers into the Deep South the following summer for a game against the Redskins in Columbus, Georgia, he lodged the players at Fort Benning, the integrated army post so that they could all stay together."

When Pride Still Mattered