PDA

View Full Version : Nolan allowed to wear suit

Guiness
06-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Nolan now gets to dress up his bid to revive Niners

Clark Judge June 20, 2007
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

I'm not sure what I like more: San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan's decision to wear suits for his team's eight home games this season or his reasons for doing it. All I know is that Nolan -- as well as Jacksonville's Jack Del Rio -- is ahead of the curve here, launching a movement I hope catches on.

"I don't want this to be a sometime thing," said Nolan, "because this is not a show. I would like to hope it becomes the norm."

I'll second that motion. Because while last week's decision to allow Nolan and Del Rio to suit up for half the 2007 season doesn't seem like a big deal, it is -- and I'll tell you why: Because it allows the league's coaches to do what the NFL demands of its players.

In short, it allows them to look and act like professionals.

The NFL routinely fines players for failing to tuck in their shirts or not having socks of proper length. So where's the fashion police when it comes to head coaches?

I know, the league adheres to a strict code that dictates its coaches wear Reebok-issued clothing. But what happens if they do and still manage to look like the deadbeat in your sixth-period gym class? And, yes, I'm talking about Bill Belichick.

I'll tell you what: Nothing.

Well, something should. And something just did.

"Look, this is not for everyone," Nolan said. "There are a lot of reasons a lot of guys aren't doing it, and I respect that. In fact, if I were heavier I'm not sure I'd be all that interested because that's a lot of clothing you have to wear. Besides, you have to understand that when coaches were doing this in the past not everyone was doing it."

I do understand. But that's not the point. What matters is that Nolan and Del Rio are doing it now, and hallelujah. Once, I thought Nolan's interest was strictly personal, something out of respect for his father, former 49ers' head coach Dick Nolan, who also walked the sidelines in a suit.

And it is, only Nolan has more than just his Dad in mind when he goes formal on Sundays. And listen closely because this is what I like most about this decision.

"It's about professionalism," Nolan said. "We're always telling players to tuck their shirts in or to straighten up. Well, it's a two-way street."

Beautiful. Some coaches talk about addressing their teams' codes of conduct; Nolan and Del Rio are doing something about it, and they're starting with themselves. And they would have done more if they could. Nolan said he sought to wear suits for all 16 games, but the NFL told him it would get back to him on his request. When it did it offered a compromise -– either six games of his choice or eight home games.

He chose the latter.

That should go over large with the home fans. When it appeared earlier this month that Nolan and Del Rio wouldn't be allowed to wear suits because of a league contract with Reebok, its apparel sponsor, some 49ers' season-ticket holders started talking about protesting by attending the home opener in -– what else? -– suits.

"I think they might've helped," Nolan said.

He thinks commissioner Roger Goodell might've helped, too, though he's not sure. He's not sure what he's going to say to Reebok, either, when he meets with the company Thursday, other than he's grateful that it and the NFL relented on the issue.

What Nolan is certain of is that he wants his team to look as good as its head coach, and we're talking about performance here, folks. The 49ers have been down far too long, on a four-year losing streak that started when the club fired Steve Mariucci.

Once the organization measured itself in terms of Super Bowls, and there are five on display at the team's Santa Clara headquarters. Now it can't measure it by winning seasons, with the team compiling a 20-44 record the past four years, including an 11-21 mark under Nolan.

But there are reasons to like this team. The defense that sank to 26th last season and allowed a league-high 412 points has made changes everywhere, including a new coordinator, free-agents Nate Clements, Tully Banta-Cain and Michael Lewis, first-round draft pick Patrick Willis and third-rounder Ray McDonald.

Then, of course, there is quarterback Alex Smith, who started looking like a franchise player last season. There's star running back Frank Gore, too. And tight end Vernon Davis and the newly acquired Darrell Jackson.

"I think we started getting this thing turned around when I took the job," said Nolan, "and I don't mean to sound egotistical. But we have created a winning system. Yes, we're 7-9 until the 2007 season begins, and I'm not going to sit here and tell you we're going to win 10 games this year.

"But I do know that my expectations are to make the playoffs, and, if we don't, we all should be disappointed."

Maybe. But I'm not disappointed in Mike Nolan. Not now. I like what he's doing. And I like where he's going. Here's hoping others follow.

---------------------

I like this - very Vince like. I can't stand the 'official apparel' that they have to wear now. Hopefully they'll allow more of it.

packinpatland
06-21-2007, 08:26 AM
I'd take Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Hank Stram or Paul Brown........................over Bill Belichick anyday.
There is a degree of decorum that has been lost.
I've never understood why baseball coaches and managers dress in uniform, they're not going to get called into play. Why shouldn't coaches look like they lead the team? Instead of looking like they're ready to go in on the next down, or to DH.

woodbuck27
06-21-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd take Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Hank Stram or Paul Brown........................over Bill Belichick anyday.
There is a degree of decorum that has been lost.
I've never understood why baseball coaches and managers dress in uniform, they're not going to get called into play. Why shouldn't coaches look like they lead the team? Instead of looking like they're ready to go in on the next down, or to DH.

Yeah. . . and the question that begs to be asked!

What in blazes do these coachs (in sweats) have to dress down with when they arrive in their digs? :)

BallHawk
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Del Rio and Nolan are a throwback to the olden days. It's so much better then seeing Bellichek wearing something that looks like he found in a dumpster.