View Full Version : Donald Driver - Committed To Giving

woodbuck27
06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
http://www.nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=6890

Donald Driver - Committed To Giving

Mike Donnelly
NFLPLAYERS.COM

06/18/2007

To say Donald Driver had a rough childhood is an understatement.

The Green Bay Packers wide receiver grew up in Houston, Texas as the middle child in a five-sibling family and faced a multitude of obstacles. At a young age, Driver and his family began to fall on hard times when his parents got divorced, leaving his mother Faye Gray to raise Driver, his two brothers and two sisters practically by herself.

With his father, Marvin Driver, spending time in and out of jail, Driver's mother was forced to work around the clock and often skipped meals so that her children could eat. For years, the family bounced around the Houston area from home to home and even spent several nights in motel rooms, purchased with food stamps.

They hit rock bottom when a collection agency confiscated the family's possessions and left them homeless to live in the back of a U-Haul truck and for a short time, under a bridge.

"In those moments, that's when you appreciate life much better," Driver said.

"That's why I said if I ever made in the National Football League, then I would be able to give back to my family as well as those that supported me and the homeless."

Driver's fortunes took a turn for the better at the age of 14, when he and his older moved in with their grandparents, who encouraged the two to attend church and strive for a better life through education. Set on the right path, Driver then began to lean on his physical talents through sports and in time received a four-year scholarship to play football at Alcorn State University.

"To graduate from high school and get a full ride scholarship in football, I was like 'Oh, good,'" Driver said.

"My grandfather was always one to stress that he didn't care if I played any sports; as long as I had that piece of paper he was satisfied. I told him that if I could go to college, then you don't have to worry about anything."

Driver not only became a star on the gridiron at Alcorn State, compiling 88 career receptions for 1,933 yards and 17 touchdowns, but he also stood out on the track. He competed in the high jump, decathlon, long jump and triple jump and finished as one of the most decorated track athletes in school history.

In 1999, the Packers took a chance on the small school talent and drafted Driver with their second of two seventh-round draft choices (213th overall). Overcoming the odds of a late-round draft pick, Driver has become one of the greatest Packers receivers of all-time.

The two-time Pro Bowler is one of three Packers ever with as many as four 1,000-yard seasons and he ranks sixth on the franchise's all-time list with 421 receptions.

And even though he's 32 years old, Driver's also showing no signs of slowing down. Last season he started all 16 games and led the team with 92 receptions and 1,295 receiving yards—both career bests—and eight touchdowns.

"So far so good," Driver said of his NFL career.

"It's been great. You look at where I grew up and to now, you thought you'd never have a bobble head, jerseys and football cards out there. To see these little kids and parents wearing your jersey, it puts a smile on your face because they don't have to wear yours."

But as impressive on the field as he's been, Driver is just the same off of it. In the spring of 2001, Driver and his wife Betina, created the Donald Driver Foundation, with the motto:

"Strong Hands, Strong Minds, Loving Hearts."

Always thinking of his roots, Driver has made it his mission to assist homeless families and tackle the issue of improving the education system, while also giving back to other areas of need both in his community and beyond.

"We came up with help back the homeless and education issue growing up in Houston, Texas … you understand how those families feel and where those families come from," Driver explained.

"So, you want to be able to do the things for them that someone gave you the opportunity to do for you. It's always about giving back and making sure that these families have the opportunity to have a life."

Starting today, Driver will hold The Fifth Annual Donald Driver Football Camp from June 19-21, at Dyer Field in Houston. Most important to Driver, [b]the camp is free for children ages 7-17. In addition, there will also be football camps held in Wisconsin and Mississippi this summer.

"I do a lot of speaking engagements at different schools and do a lot of football camps for inner-city youth," Driver said.

"My football camps are free so it gives kids the opportunity to learn the game without having to spend any money and all that. I think that's how you give back to the community as well and right now with the Green Bay Packers, I think I've done just for them over 400 appearances in my career."

The football camps are just a portion of the events Driver has planned during his offseason in order to raise funds for the foundation's causes. He will also host the Donald Driver Golf Classic on June 22 at Sienna Plantation Golf Club in Missouri City, Texas and The 9-Ball Pool Classic June 23 at Slick Willie's Family Pool Hall in Houston.

"You can't start a foundation that you're not going to believe in …You have to make sure it's successful every time you do something," Driver said passionately.

Despite the immense respect Driver commands on the football field and his generosity in the community, it's his background and desire to fulfill his dreams that keeps him going strong everyday.

"I want my kids to understand where I came from and I have all the stories that I have done and my son will watch them as he gets older to realize that yeah, daddy is this millionaire now, but daddy paid the way to get there," Driver said.

"And that's how I walk out that tunnel [on gamedays]. Every ball I catch and every block I make it's like I dream of it and if I don't dream of it that night before, then it's not going to happen."

Comment woodbuck27:

That's why the name of Donald Driver and the word overrated don't belong in the same sentence. :)

packinpatland
06-21-2007, 02:21 PM
"That's why the name of Donald Driver and the word over rated don't belong in the same sentence".

Well said. :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: